Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 10, 2012 02:15

FrankM
It seems like Bob Costas always emphasizes total medals when he presents the medal count. To get an accurate picture of who is doing well I guess you should look at both gold medals and total medals. A country can have thirty total medals but only two gold and another country can have four gold but only five total medals.

thumbs up
And facts be known the difference between 1st 2nd and 3rd... and sometimes 4th and 5th is micro sceonds... so to say only Gold matters is absurd, which is why I personally like total medal count best, and that is what I found first. I usually try to avoid starting a drama fest over something someone posted. I usually just try to thank people for adding content. I say the more the merrier. I try to add content, try to make it interesting, while it seems some people are just looking for drama.

Bottom line... look at all 3 charts... 1)ranked by total count 2)ranked only by gold 3)ranked on medals per capita and get a full picture... unless that is found to be too confusing (for the simple minded) then... just pick the one you like best... and feel free to post it.. but be be ready for someone here to complain about what you post, it is just the way things are.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 10, 2012 02:17

Sure Frank, you can count medals in every way you want. But there is an official medal list acknowledged by IOC. Your country's rank on that list is determined: first after the amount of goldmedals, secondly after silvermedals and so on. Here is an easy example: If Canada takes one goldmedal in the Olympics and USA takes 50 silver medals and 45 bronze medals; Canada will end up before USA in the medal list. But MKC is right: it's a petty matter. And I'm getting tired of this...

Date: August 10, 2012 02:17

Chris Fountain
Max'sKansasCity
It is just stoneage, again, posting about ANYTHING EXCEPT things about Olympic events. I doubt he is even watching, just posting here to complain and/or act like a cop on the beat.

Maybe he has a point. Max, what is the media source of medal count? Are news agencies reporting medal counts in a biased manner? For example, I'm using USA Today website as a reference. They re very impartial.

On another subject -Funny thing today. All media outlets in US reported that
"Face- eating man speaks out" Should read "Face-eaten man speaks out."

The story was about the homeless guy that was attacked in Miami by a cannabalistic lunatic not too long ago.

Hell, they accused the attacker of being on bath salts, which were not found in his blood system.

With all the hoopla lately concerning bath salts - I went out and purchased some. I threw them in the bath tub. I didn't get a buzz at all.

Did you try to get your money back?

winking smiley

fun is a good thing to have.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 10, 2012 02:20

Max'sKansasCity
Chris Fountain
Max'sKansasCity
It is just stoneage, again, posting about ANYTHING EXCEPT things about Olympic events. I doubt he is even watching, just posting here to complain and/or act like a cop on the beat.

Maybe he has a point. Max, what is the media source of medal count? Are news agencies reporting medal counts in a biased manner? For example, I'm using USA Today website as a reference. They re very impartial.

On another subject -Funny thing today. All media outlets in US reported that
"Face- eating man speaks out" Should read "Face-eaten man speaks out."

The story was about the homeless guy that was attacked in Miami by a cannabalistic lunatic not too long ago.

Hell, they accused the attacker of being on bath salts, which were not found in his blood system.

With all the hoopla lately concerning bath salts - I went out and purchased some. I threw them in the bath tub. I didn't get a buzz at all.

Did you try to get your money back?

winking smiley

fun is a good thing to have.

No - I'm renting a condo and exchanging the bath tub is not an option.drinking smiley

Date: August 10, 2012 02:22

drinking smileysmileys with beerdrinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 02:23 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 10, 2012 02:26

ooooh, well played mr max.

Date: August 10, 2012 02:30

Natlanta
ooooh, well played mr max.
drinking smiley Cheers to you too Natlanta smileys with beer Just trying to have a lil fun before I smileys with beer drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 03:23 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 10, 2012 05:39

The Spice Girls will star in the ''greatest after-party in the world'' as part of the Olympics closing ceremony.

The girl band, who have reunited for the London 2012 Games, will arrive standing on top of five black cabs on Sunday (12.08.12), reports the Daily Star newspaper.

The plan for the routine involving Victoria Beckham, 38, Geri Halliwell, 40, Emma Bunton, 36, Melanie Brown, 37, and Melanie Chisholm, 38, was unveiled when they were pictured practising their moves at a secret rehearsal.

More than 20 pop and rock legends will perform 30 British songs at the show.

Artists said to be involved in the two-and-half-hour concert include Queen stars Brian May, 65, and Roger Taylor, 63, who will perform 'We Are The Champions' with comedian Russell Brand, 37.

The Who and The Rolling Stones are also booked for the lineup.

The show titled A Symphony Of British Music is being masterminding by David Arnold, 50, who has written music for James Bond movies and TV shows 'Sherlock' and 'Little Britain'.

He told The Telegraph newspaper: ''To me, this should be the greatest after-party in the world. If the Opening Ceremony was the wedding, then we're the wedding reception. We're the one where everyone gets out of their cars at the village hall, goes 'Wasn't that lovely, everyone looked great, let's put on 'Blame It On the Boogie' and have a laugh.''' (C) BANG Media International

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 10, 2012 08:18

and here is the real and only one and undisputed results board !
hope Maxou won't saw off my head.
Very disappointing French delegation. We totally missed the games especially in fencing and equestrian. 0 medal. Can't do worse.
In 2008, we won 40 medals. This year it will be less.

Date: August 10, 2012 08:19

i love it.
aliya mustafina and a lot of the russian athletes have returned home already. aliya said they returned early to get a few extra days with their families. she said she will be back to training in a few weeks even though she wishes she had more time with her family. when they asked her if there was anything that would keep her from returning to the gym in a few weeks she just calmly said "DEATH"

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 10, 2012 11:59

Stoneage
It's not that, Chris. It's the order of priority. Gold counts first, not the number of medals. That is the recognized way of presenting an Olympic medalboard. It's unnecessary and confusing to have people posting two different types of medal boards (one incorrect and one correct). But since Max insists on posting the wrong one there is nothing more I can do. So, I give up!

I would imagine that the official medal table is the one to go by:

[www.london2012.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 10, 2012 12:30

It's a US thing: they always have scored by total number of medals of all types, not just gold (and now that the Chinese know that beating the US on this basis is the way to make them lose face, that's the target they'll be aiming for, too).

I think that would be a fairer way of judging national performance (and the medals-per-capita and medals-by GDP are fairer still). But like so many sporting rules, it's the official table that counts OFFICIALLY, fair or not. UK are never going to be first on any basis, but whether we're just ahead of Russia or just behind, or down in 20th place behind Finland, Norway and Jamaica, we're doing very nicely, thank you, and very pleased.

Anyway, congratulations to David Rudisha for a fantastic world record in the 800 metres. The guy who came last in that race (British, needless to say) scored a personal best time that would have won the medal at the 3 previous Olympics - that's how fast it was. All the fuss is about Usain Bolt and fellow-Jamaicans (and well-deserved too) but that world record was something else.

By the way, there don't seem to have been many athletics world records this time around - I wonder why.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2012 12:58

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 10, 2012 13:01

nice Rockman.

How good are the Jamaican sprinters!!! 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the 200m final !!

for a country of around 2 million people, to have the fastest sprinters in the world is a truly remarkable effort...well done.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 10, 2012 13:25

jpasc95
Hope Maxou won't saw off my head.

He won't saw off your head, jpasc95. But he will call you: a bitch, a cop on the beat and a whiner. So I gave in and accepted the fact that it is Bob Costas and Yahoo.com who calls the shots.
The IOC has nothing to do with it. Now, deal with it!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 10, 2012 13:46

Green Lady

By the way, there don't seem to have been many athletics world records this time around - I wonder why.

Because these days athletes are paid serious money by promotors and sponsers to break world records at grand prix meetings ...but not at the Olympics !

If they had to break a record to win I'm sure they would...but otherwise it can wait for a better pay day ;^)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 10, 2012 13:58

Closing ceremony to showcase least pleasant aspects of Britain
07-08-12

IN a bid to ensure international visitors don’t outstay their welcome, the Olympics closing ceremony will feature the fighting and vomiting aspects of the UK.

This man will ruin spectators' shoes

The epic event will feature a specially-constructed 23-storey Wetherspoons and 10,000 drunkards drumming along to Oops Upside Your Head before the largest synchronised vomit in history.

Volunteers will drink four litres of value-range cola and eat 2lb of asparagus on the day of the ceremony to ensure all the seats in the stadium are coated in a pungent layer of urine, illustrating the traditional use of the UK’s public places.

All other Olympic volunteers have been instructed to mug the spectators as they leave the stadium, with each mugging having a personally-tailored racial epithet based on the ticket-holder’s booking information.

The climax of the ceremony will be the dousing of the Olympic flame by Wayne Hayes, a taxi driver from Carlisle, who will light his roll-up on the flame, complain about his last gas bill, extinguish it and tell the remainder of the crowd to fúck off home.

There will also be an interactive element to proceedings as ‘townie’ pissheads in shiny short-sleeved shirts blunder through the audience, deliberately bashing into people in the hope of starting a ruckus.

Artistic director Danny Boyle said: “The powers-that-be are concerned that the overall success and good vibes during the games may have given tourists an unrealistically positive impression of the country.

“While I’m intrigued by the creative challenge of a bleak and nihilistic closing event, I baulked at their suggestion of filling the stadium with West Ham fans.

“However they insisted on having One Direction, even though I thought that was too depressing.”

[www.thedailymash.co.uk]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 10, 2012 13:59

Green Lady

Its been the trend in recent games. Better drug-testing!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 10, 2012 14:15

Gazza
Closing ceremony to showcase least pleasant aspects of Britain
07-08-12

IN a bid to ensure international visitors don’t outstay their welcome, the Olympics closing ceremony will feature the fighting and vomiting aspects of the UK.

This man will ruin spectators' shoes

The epic event will feature a specially-constructed 23-storey Wetherspoons and 10,000 drunkards drumming along to Oops Upside Your Head before the largest synchronised vomit in history.

Volunteers will drink four litres of value-range cola and eat 2lb of asparagus on the day of the ceremony to ensure all the seats in the stadium are coated in a pungent layer of urine, illustrating the traditional use of the UK’s public places.

All other Olympic volunteers have been instructed to mug the spectators as they leave the stadium, with each mugging having a personally-tailored racial epithet based on the ticket-holder’s booking information.

The climax of the ceremony will be the dousing of the Olympic flame by Wayne Hayes, a taxi driver from Carlisle, who will light his roll-up on the flame, complain about his last gas bill, extinguish it and tell the remainder of the crowd to fúck off home.

There will also be an interactive element to proceedings as ‘townie’ pissheads in shiny short-sleeved shirts blunder through the audience, deliberately bashing into people in the hope of starting a ruckus.

Artistic director Danny Boyle said: “The powers-that-be are concerned that the overall success and good vibes during the games may have given tourists an unrealistically positive impression of the country.

“While I’m intrigued by the creative challenge of a bleak and nihilistic closing event, I baulked at their suggestion of filling the stadium with West Ham fans.

“However they insisted on having One Direction, even though I thought that was too depressing.”

[www.thedailymash.co.uk]

That's why the Stones have been booked - to sing the bit about the bankers in Rain Fall Down - and then to P*ss anywhere, man!

Date: August 10, 2012 14:38

the poms beaten again by the aussies...oh dear..

smiling smiley

Date: August 10, 2012 14:43

A friend of mine is drumming in the ceremonies. He didn't describe it excactly like this, LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: August 10, 2012 14:53

a sarcastic view . . . oh the 90's slacker is a thing of the past . . .

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 10, 2012 15:37

jpasc95
and here is the real and only one and undisputed results board !
hope Maxou won't saw off my head.
Very disappointing French delegation. We totally missed the games especially in fencing and equestrian. 0 medal. Can't do worse.
In 2008, we won 40 medals. This year it will be less.

Damn. The USA has the most medals in every category. Can't someone find an alphabetical listing so they won't display at the top? Where's that per capita chart? That should knock them down a bit.

Wow... Whining is fun... Who'd a thunk it?

Here's hoping y'all either enjoy or avoid the rest of the games. They're almost over so, either way, you don't have much more coming. I've got today off from work (at least until my gig tonight) and although I don't really care about women's field hockey, I'm watching the US & Belgium try to stay out of last place. It's the Olympics and I'm going to enjoy it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 10, 2012 16:30

Sorry Brits for the loss, but this is what I think the Olympics are all about. Pure joy.

9 Aug 2012 06:52 PM
Face Of The Day

Rohullah Nikpah of Afghanistan and his coach celebrate Nikpah defeating Martin Stamper of Great Britain during the Men's-68kg Taekwondo bronze medal finals on Day 13 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at ExCeL on August 9, 2012. By Scott Heavey/Getty Images. Nikpah is the only Afghan to ever win an Olympic medal. (He also won a bronze in Beijing.)

Date: August 10, 2012 17:33

as I'll say again...the Jamaicans...2 million people yet the fastest men in the world...1st 2nd 3rd in the 200m sprint..smashing the rest of the world...impressive.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 10, 2012 18:00

There is a bone of contention between Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt who said he had no repect for the famous American athlete.
Usain Bolt does not accept the suspicions of doping launched for the second time by Lewis in Sport Illustrated. Four years ago, he already accused in an interview for the Telegraph the Jamaican athletes to win dirty.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 10, 2012 18:07

Usain Bolt is a great name for a sprinter.

"Hey, have you seen Bolt?"

"meep meep"

Date: August 10, 2012 18:25

Stoneage

He won't saw off your head, jpasc95. But he will call you: a bitch, a cop on the beat and a whiner. So I gave in and accepted the fact that it is Bob Costas and Yahoo.com who calls the shots.
The IOC has nothing to do with it. Now, deal with it!

Yeah you said you would drop it last week, but here you are, still whining on and on and on and on.

I wonder why do you care so much, why do you pick this to focus on and and bash on me about it. I said if you dont like my list... then post another... but no, you would rather whine.

I didnt start this, I was simply posting information which I found on the web for IORR.

I was here to talk about the Olympics.

What difference does it make which chart I picked? Why do you care so much? Why is it all you talk about? What is your problem? Why is it all you post about is the medal list? Did you watch one event? Or are you just here to start trouble and whine?

I posted about many many things on this thread trying to add content... but all you focus on is one of my contributions and then and whine about it incessantantly... and that is all you do. Pretty wierd.

Try doing some more contributing and less whining.

edit-
For the record, I never insulted or started trouble with anyone over their posts here, I only replied/defended myself against snotty snots being snotty towards me.

It makes no difference to me what medals board they posted, actually I think the the more different medals boards the better, but some others can not handle diversity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 19:16 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2012 18:29

Getting back to what this board is about, music, I hear the Spice Girls are reuniting for the finale Sunday.

Isn't that what we really really want?

Date: August 10, 2012 18:31

treaclefingers
Isn't that what we really really want?

I dont know, why dont you tell us what you want, what you really really want.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home