Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 27 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:02

The Who are closing the Olympics! In the Stones slot! lol

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:23

Great Olympics, great sports, great athletes, great city, thank you London

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:24

I would have prefered that they had completed the OG formalities first and then finished it off with the music performances. I seem to remember that they did something like that in Atlanta years ago. The overall impression gets a bit disrupted when they scatter out the performances over three hours.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:24

Rolling Hansie
You can say that again!! BUT BIGGER!! smileys with beer

Great Olympics, great sports, great athletes, great city, thank you

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:29

Max'sKansasCity
Rolling Hansie
You can say that again!! BUT BIGGER!! smileys with beer

Great Olympics, great sports, great athletes, great city, thank you

OK

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 13, 2012 02:36

.................. drinking smileysmileys with beerdrinking smileythumbs updrinking smileysmileys with beerdrinking smiley

"This sure beats fixing leaky toilets or digging a hole"

Date: August 13, 2012 02:44

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 03:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:53

21stcenturystones
The biggest waste of time and money putting on the Olympics. Countries starve there own people, yet for some at the age of about 5 years old are trained for life to be athletes and sent to the Olympics. And if they fail to win medals are sent to prison camps when they return home, or beaten and taken from there familys. Yeah, some great Olympics.

I didn't realize Canada was that strict. But I heard they send them to Hockey camps when they return. grinning smiley

Date: August 13, 2012 02:58

There are more things wrong with this world than right... but when the whole world can come together to play some games with each other for a couple of weeks and finally feel good about something, that is not one of the things wrong down here. Usually countries only come together like this to fight wars.

Olympic Spirit

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 13, 2012 03:02

Max'sKansasCity
There are more things wrong with this world than right... but when the whole world can come together to play some games with each other for a couple of weeks and finally feel good about something, that is not one of the things wrong down here. Usually countries only come together like this to fight wars.

thumbs up

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 10:11

Thank you London !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 10:13 by Massimo68.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: August 13, 2012 13:56

Great games, even the open ceremony was pretty good but the closing ceremony, from my point of view was very poor...
Sound was awfall in tv. These ceremonies should be focus not in the 60000 or 90000 people inside the stadium but for the millions of people in our homes all around the world. Considering the people chosen to appear in the show, the result is not satisfactory at all, and sure all of us have our line up list. It was not a closing ceremony, was much more another life aid 2.0
Finally the legacy of these games will sure be the Who signing My generation, more closer to London 1948 than London 2012.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2012 14:49

Thank god the Stones had nothing to do with the closing ceremony. I watched it about an hour, saw poor Ray Davies being almost unhearable and lost there middle of the hectic circus, and then I decided go to bed. But then I have never been a fan of thse kind of opening/closing events. Did the Who play "My Generation"? Oh god...

But over-all London had a wonderful games, and especially the host country had a ball going on resultwise. But that I cannot say of the quality of this thread. Thankfully it will go to bed soon as well...

Back to business in Rio.

- Doxa

Date: August 13, 2012 15:00

Doxa
Thank god the Stones had nothing to do with the closing ceremony. I watched it about an hour, saw poor Ray Davies being almost unhearable and lost there middle of the hectic circus, and then I decided go to bed. But then I have never been a fan of thse kind of opening/closing events. Did the Who play "My Generation"? Oh god...

But over-all London had a wonderful games, and especially the host country had a ball going on resultwise. But that I cannot say of the quality of this thread. Thankfully it will go to bed soon as well...

Back to business in Rio.

- Doxa

The Who played a medley of at least four songs, and they were great, imo.

I had to torture myself with George Michael and Spice Girls first, though. Davies wasn't that bad, albeit singing off key a few times.

Date: August 13, 2012 15:41

As I pointed out earlier, I would have prefered the formalities to be done with first and then the entertainment. As it was (is) now the overall impression is a bit shattered. And they could skip these meaningless bits with people carrying props and decor in an out of the stadium. It's just boring and tedious. And expensive!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2012 15:48

Doxa

Back to business in Rio.

- Doxa

Sorry,I'm sure. We'll try to do better for Rio. Perhaps you could give us some ideas about what we should have said?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 15:49 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 13, 2012 15:49

llargueras
Great games, even the open ceremony was pretty good but the closing ceremony, from my point of view was very poor...
Sound was awfall in tv. These ceremonies should be focus not in the 60000 or 90000 people inside the stadium but for the millions of people in our homes all around the world. Considering the people chosen to appear in the show, the result is not satisfactory at all, and sure all of us have our line up list. It was not a closing ceremony, was much more another life aid 2.0
Finally the legacy of these games will sure be the Who signing My generation, more closer to London 1948 than London 2012.

this always seems to be the case at a massive event like this when the musical acts get shunted on hurriedly. The Super Bowl is exactly the same.

everyone's preferred 'line up' is irrelevant. As Green Lady pointed out in the other Olympics thread, this isnt meant to be a 'concert' - so theres no comparison with Live Aid, as this was a mere sideshow - let alone an event where the musical content should be limited to rock & pop or even from a particular era. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that Britain's culture or history began around 1963,ended sometime in the 70s and is limited to the 'British Invasion' and little else.

Good comment on the fact that 'My Generation' is closer timewise to 1948 and 2012 (although no doubt had the Stones performed, theyd have picked a song from the same era and none of us would have quibbled) but to say a musical performance from an ageing rock band is what most people will remember in years to come from these Olympics is stretching the bounds of credibility somewhat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 15:54 by Gazza.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 13, 2012 15:55

Gazza

everyone's preferred 'line up' is irrelevant. As Green Lady pointed out, this isnt meant to be a 'concert' - theres no comparison with Live Aid - let alone an event where the musical content should be limited to rock & pop or even from a particular era. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that Britain's culture or history began around 1963,ended sometime in the 70s and is limited to the 'British Invasion' and little else.

Well said. I think they did a good job of representing genres and eras given they had an hour to do it all and as far as worldwide impact goes the Spice Girls more than had a right to be there.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 13, 2012 16:03

llargueras
Sound was awfall in tv. These ceremonies should be focus not in the 60000 or 90000 people inside the stadium but for the millions of people in our homes all around the world.

These ceremonies are for the athletes, who are in the stadium. We are lucky we can all watch along on the TV.

Date: August 13, 2012 16:23

A genre critisim with these OG ceremonies are the more and more influential artistic installations. I mean all the decor and all the people carrying props in and out of the stadium. For hours. It's tedious and you wonder what that has to do with The Olympics. Cars wrapped up in newsprint, people with funny hats and so on. Couldn't they just skip those bits and save both money and time?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 13, 2012 16:35

In America NBC saved us the trouble of watching with the dumb decision of sticking an hour of there sub par comedy programming in between extinguishing the torch and the who. Shows us how respectfully the treat the Olympics...

The sound of TVs turning off across America was a deafening pleasure.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:40

Green Lady
Doxa

Back to business in Rio.

- Doxa

Sorry,I'm sure. We'll try to do better for Rio. Perhaps you could give us some ideas about what we should have said?

I should have kept my big mouth shut for sure. Perhaps it is the nature of Olympic Games consisting of so many different forms of sports and events that the discussion is rather unfocused and fragmentary.. whereas, say World Cup, is easier to keep somehow on track. I surely sounded like a snob - and I think this is the first time in my history in IORR I critizise the way people talk - but this mindless GO GO This and That. etc. just went to my nerves, so I had to throw that out of my system. I apologize.

No, I don't know how sports should be discussed in a rock and roll board.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 13, 2012 17:42

Just awful

Date: August 13, 2012 18:06

i dvr'd it but it didn't catch the who and ray davies. anyone have it uploaded to youtube yet?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2012 18:20

Thanks guys!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: August 13, 2012 19:12

What NBC didn't let us see...

Date: August 13, 2012 20:18

You shouldn't really have to apologize for pointing out the obvious, Doxa. Your assumption is simply right. Snobs, unite!

Date: August 13, 2012 20:30

the olympics in London were cool; i enjoyed it alot, i watched a ton of events. PVR'd it all, skipped the things I didn't care for, like badminton (i'd rather do laundry or mow grass) but i still got a lot of hours of great sports TV out of it. even got the Judo lady who hi-ya’d the guy who threw a bottle on the track

thanks London for hosting

the closing ceremony was a bit weird. newspaper jackhammers?? overwieghtt batman out of a blown up car? huh?

seeing raymond douglas davies though was fantastic, however the sound quality was atrocious. but 'waterloo sunset' is a great track so i sang along anyway at home. was the high point of the show, for me

and Eric Idle singing about crucifixion! though I wish the song were actually something like “Every sperm is sacred,” but anyway eric idle and roller skating nuns to me was the MOST british thing shown on that program

George Michael’s auto-tune was still on as he spoke between his two songs, so his voice glitched out as if he’d breathed helium..

why were the Kaiser Chiefs singing a Who song?

i was watching nbc and didnt see the real Who, they played?

who ARE the Kaiser Chefs?

or jesse j for that matter?? luckily her over-emoting was drowned out

and with Queen? what, was paul rogers on vacation?

and the spice girls standing on spice mobiles? huh? but those truck hoardings to advertise Victoria Beckham’s fashion label? interesting how you just have to scratch beneath the surface to find the ulterior motives for performing.

annie lennox on a zombie slave barge pirate ship? (scratches head) ok... whatever..

who is 'take that" ? volunteer bell boys?

why doesn't the ex Oasis singer guy just put his microphone lower? and the bass player in his band had a suit on like Ronnie Lane used to wear, or one of the guys from Bay City Rollers, why weren't they on? russell brand was, and BCR are just as funny as him, and bad musically. or maybe they are scottish or something? hell i dunno

brian may looked like a mad scientist, or was that a colonial era powdered wig? russell brand as the egg man? willy wonka?? I dunno. beatles through a megaphone? wtf? why is that guy even allowed to go NEAR a beatles song? he's a comedian not a singer. obviously

overall the closing ceremony to me was a giant wtf? in trying to be ‘hip’ and appeal to the youngins’ they missed out on a lot of opportunities to really celebrate the contributions made by British musicians...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 20:34 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:46

Why are you guys being so grouchy? The ceremony was supposed to be fun "the disco after the wedding" as the director said. Didn't you even enjoy Eric Idle singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (with the shit lyric intact)

I don't know why the Kaiser Chiefs were chosen to do a Who song, but they were excellent - I'm not usually a fan of their stuff. The young man chosen to do the Pink Floyd song was too introverted, but I still got a thrill at the tightrope walker replicating the "Wish You Were Here" album cover.

Loved Brian May's epic guitar soloing - he IS a mad scientist, bless 'im.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:49

2000man
What NBC didn't let us see...

You mean you stayed up through 2 of the worst shows they ever tried to force you to watch right in the middle of the closing ceremonies?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 27 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home