Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 29
Re: Mick Jagger, L'Wren Scott and Lucas Jagger at the Olympic Games in London (photos)
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2012 23:56

2000 LYFH
Rockman
and remind me never to give advice to anyone around here.

before ya go ...ya don't happen to know how to get beetroot stains out of bed sheets do ya???

Hey Rockman - move this to the beetroot stains thread!

Where is Dwight Schrute when you need him?

Re: Mick Jagger, L'Wren Scott and Lucas Jagger at the Olympic Games in London (photos)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2012 23:57

Rockman

before ya go ...ya don't happen to know how to get beetroot stains out of bed sheets do ya???

As ugly an image as that is...I only hope the stain emanated from beets either falling out of yer mouth, or from yer plate.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2012 23:59

latebloomer
2000 LYFH
Rockman

Hey Rockman - move this to the beetroot stains thread!

Where is Dwight Schrute when you need him?

Isn't he making preparations for this fall's corn maze?

Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:02

Jennifer Kessy and April Ross

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:25

Remind me never to pretend to be a thread police again. It doesn't suit me! I will do a reprise post here since nobody answered it the first time. But maybe I should have posted in the Stones heraldry thread instead? Anyway, here it is again:

"Talking about men of wealth and taste. The last man to receive a charter of nobility in Sweden was the great explorer and geographer Sven Hedin in 1902. Britain is, I guess, one of very few countries where this system is still intact. I was wondering about the protocol here. Sir Michael is a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) and Lord Coe a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE). Does that mean Sir Michael has to call Lord Coe Sir? As I understand Lord Coe, as well as many British goldmedalists, will be bestowed an honorary title after the games. Does that mean he will receive a Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE)?

And another question: Why is Sir Michael treated like a dignitary here? He has no background in sports and has no official position and, furthermore, doesn't even pay taxes in Great Britain. Maybe some Briton feels compelled to respond to these, I'm afraid, rather silly questions?"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:25

ROLLING STONES OLYMPIC ARCHIVE CLASSIC

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:26

Max'sKansasCity
Rolling Hansie
2012 London Summer Olympics

I like it, like it... YES I DO!! smileys with beer thumbs uphot smileyeye popping smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmoking smiley

+1000

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:33

Max'sKansasCity
[www.medalspercapita.com]

GRENADA!! GRENADA !! GRENADA!!

Kirani James from Grenada was quite possibly the best example of "The Olympic Spirit" that I've ever seen. After his semi-final race he went to the runner from S. Africa with the prosthetic legs and quickly traded "bibs" with him. Even the commentators were mentioning how they had never seen that happen before. Then, after he won the Gold medal, I'm sure I saw him go to everyone who had just been in the race and shake their hands. And he's only 19 years old! Forget about winning a gold medal, I can only hope that my 19 year old son would be capable of that much grace and class if he were ever given the opportunity.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 8, 2012 00:37

Thanks for the 1976 video, SFF. So he liked Lasse Virén, the Finnish long distance runner. Doxa, are you reading this?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:55

Stoneage
Thanks for the 1976 video, SFF. So he liked Lasse Virén, the Finnish long distance runner. Doxa, are you reading this?

furthermore he mentioned Alberto Juantorena from Cuba...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 8, 2012 02:28

mr_dja

Kirani James from Grenada was quite possibly the best example of "The Olympic Spirit" that I've ever seen. After his semi-final race he went to the runner from S. Africa with the prosthetic legs and quickly traded "bibs" with him. Even the commentators were mentioning how they had never seen that happen before. Then, after he won the Gold medal, I'm sure I saw him go to everyone who had just been in the race and shake their hands. And he's only 19 years old! Forget about winning a gold medal, I can only hope that my 19 year old son would be capable of that much grace and class if he were ever given the opportunity.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Good stuff...

GRENADA!!! GRENADA!! GRENADA!!

Date: August 8, 2012 02:33

Many behind the scenes stories developing. Things could get interesting in the final days of these great Olympic games.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 8, 2012 02:33

Date: August 8, 2012 02:43

come on gummy, there must be a better quality video you can find and post. That one goes haywire after 8 seconds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 02:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: August 8, 2012 02:46

Matthias Steiner weight lifting accident (weight is 196 kg)

He's ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 02:46 by firebird.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 02:52

I saw the footage below (that includes Mick) on TV last night. The commentator is saying that Ezekiel Kemboi (Kenyan gold medal winner the day before) was "moving like Jagger" during this victory dance. They played MOVES LIKE JAGGER in the background.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 02:57 by Title5Take1.

Date: August 8, 2012 02:53

firebird
Matthias Steiner weight lifting accident (weight is 196 kg)

Ouch!! Thats gonna leave a mark

Posted by: szef ()
Date: August 8, 2012 03:19

mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Nice behaviour, but 90% of athletes does the same thing. Nothing unusual. By the way what are your thoughts about Pistorious? What if they will develop super fast prosthetics and he will win all the competitions? Other athletes will have to cut their legs to be competitive?

Date: August 8, 2012 03:22

OH REALLY???... I wonder what football/soccer fans think of this story?
[sports.yahoo.com]

===================================================
MANCHESTER, England – Abby Wambach has won games for the United States women's soccer team with her goal scoring.

On Monday, she helped the Americans dramatically defeat Canada 4-3 in an Olympic semifinal with her brains, guile and gamesmanship by delivering a crucial and controversial refereeing decision.While the original call angered the Canadians at the time, coach John Herdman applauded Wambach's "do-anything-to-win-matches" attitude on Tuesday.

It was no secret Canada's strategy against the deeper, more talented Americans was to slow the game down. That included, Wambach said, having goalkeeper Erin McLeod hold the ball as long as possible, even over 15 seconds at times during the first half. Soccer rules say the goalkeeper must get rid of the ball within six seconds.

During the second half, with the U.S. frantically trying to speed up the game while attempting multiple comebacks, Wambach began running near referee Christiana Pedersen and counting off the seconds that McLeod held the ball. She said she often got to 10 and into even the teens.

"I wasn't yelling. I was just counting," Wambach revealed Tuesday during an interview at the team hotel. "Probably did it five to seven times."

The last time came in the 78th minute, with Canada trying to milk a 3-2 lead. McLeod made a save, and Wambach began counting again.

"I got to 10 seconds right next to the referee, and at 10 seconds she blew the whistle," Wambach said.

The call was for delay of game. There was confusion on the field, because it was an exceedingly rare decision. Not another American or Canadian player or coach remembers the call ever being made, let alone in such crucial moments of an international tournament.

Regardless, the result was an indirect kick for the Americans inside the Canadian box. That kick wound up hitting a Canadian defender's hand, which meant a penalty kick for the Americans.

Wambach stepped up to the spot in the 80th minute and drilled a low shot off the left post and into the net to tie the game. In the final minute of stoppage time in the last overtime session, the USA's Alex Morgan headed a cross past McLeod for the incredible game winner.

Canada fumed, both during and after the game. Canadian star Christine Sinclair went as far as to charge the referee with deciding before the game that she would do whatever it took to help the Americans win.

"We feel like we didn't lose," Sinclair said. "We feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started."

McLeod, the goalkeeper, claimed she had the ball a far shorter time and the ref shouldn't have included the few seconds it took for her to get up off the ground. She also said she was never warned by Pedersen herself; she merely was given a general reminder about speeding up play from a linesman at halftime.

"We feel like we got robbed in this game," McLeod said.

Wambach disputes that, saying that after she started the counting routine Pedersen continually told McLeod to speed up play and McLeod would acknowledge it by raising her hand to the referee.

The more times Wambach counted, the more impossible it became for the referee to ignore the delays and thus not make the call.

"Yes it's uncharacteristic," Wambach said. "But the rules are the rules. You can say it's gamesmanship, you can say it's smart, but I'm a competitor. We needed to get a goal. They're trying to waste time; I'm trying to speed it up."

Wambach's teammates say that game awareness and brilliance is part of what makes her a superstar. The 5-foot-11 forward isn't just a physical presence with a knack for scoring – she has a goal in all five U.S. games in this tournament.

The 32-year-old veteran from Pittsford, N.Y., knows soccer, is constantly aware of how the game is developing around her, and is practically a coach on the field.

"You need to be aware of the game at all times," Morgan said. "And Abby was just making the ref aware."

Herdman, the Canadian coach, was asked about Wambach's admission and tipped his hat to the player. While he said his players can learn from her, he wouldn't ask them to do any counting in the future.

"If Abby has done that, good on her," Herdman said. "Wambach's a great player, she's a pro, she knows how to win matches. … She found a loophole. Our players can learn from that."

Wambach said she was ready for the delay tactics due to previous games with the Canadians in which they often attempted to stall. She recalled one game in which she claims there was a "planned 20-minute cramping their goalkeeper took."

So with their gold-medal chances hanging in the balance and every precious second meaning so much, the Americans' great talent figured out how to change the course of the game with her intelligence.

Wambach kept counting until it couldn't be ignored.

"I think making the referee aware of a situation, there is nothing wrong with that," Wambach said. "At the end of the day, the ref made the decision on her own."

And the U.S. used it to advance to Thursday's gold-medal game with Japan back in London.
===============================================================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 03:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 8, 2012 05:42

HUGE PROPS TO SWEET SALLY PEARSON FOR WINNING THE 100M HURDLES!!! WOW!!!

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 00:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 8, 2012 06:15

shortfatfanny
ROLLING STONES OLYMPIC ARCHIVE CLASSIC

we were at these games on vacation; my family, we saw Mick this very day with Bianca - they left the TV booth and went to their seats and there was an elderly man there too - someone said it was Joe Jagger - they were two sections over from us

Date: August 8, 2012 06:20

imuho....

ok ok ok.. enough with the gymnastics already... send these little girls and the BS panels of judges on their way to the circus... I am over it.

If I dont see another child gymnast for another 4 years I will be fine with it.

And besides... they should not call it "womens gymnastics", they should call it "little girls gymnastics"... and imuho they belong only in the circus... it is like watching Ringling Borthers Barnum and Baily.... and all OH!!! and gasps!!! and BS judge drama... I dont care... get it outta here.

/rant

winking smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 8, 2012 06:24

Max'sKansasCity
MANCHESTER, England – Abby Wambach has won games for the United States women's soccer team with her goal scoring.

On Monday, she helped the Americans dramatically defeat Canada 4-3 in an Olympic semifinal with her brains, guile and gamesmanship by delivering a crucial and controversial refereeing decision.While the original call angered the Canadians at the time, coach John Herdman applauded Wambach's "do-anything-to-win-matches" attitude on Tuesday.

It was no secret Canada's strategy against the deeper, more talented Americans was to slow the game down. That included, Wambach said, having goalkeeper Erin McLeod hold the ball as long as possible, even over 15 seconds at times during the first half. Soccer rules say the goalkeeper must get rid of the ball within six seconds.

During the second half, with the U.S. frantically trying to speed up the game while attempting multiple comebacks, Wambach began running near referee Christiana Pedersen and counting off the seconds that McLeod held the ball. She said she often got to 10 and into even the teens.

"I wasn't yelling. I was just counting," Wambach revealed Tuesday during an interview at the team hotel. "Probably did it five to seven times."

The last time came in the 78th minute, with Canada trying to milk a 3-2 lead. McLeod made a save, and Wambach began counting again.

"I got to 10 seconds right next to the referee, and at 10 seconds she blew the whistle," Wambach said.

The call was for delay of game. There was confusion on the field, because it was an exceedingly rare decision. Not another American or Canadian player or coach remembers the call ever being made, let alone in such crucial moments of an international tournament.

Regardless, the result was an indirect kick for the Americans inside the Canadian box. That kick wound up hitting a Canadian defender's hand, which meant a penalty kick for the Americans.

Wambach stepped up to the spot in the 80th minute and drilled a low shot off the left post and into the net to tie the game. In the final minute of stoppage time in the last overtime session, the USA's Alex Morgan headed a cross past McLeod for the incredible game winner.

Canada fumed, both during and after the game. Canadian star Christine Sinclair went as far as to charge the referee with deciding before the game that she would do whatever it took to help the Americans win.

"We feel like we didn't lose," Sinclair said. "We feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started."

McLeod, the goalkeeper, claimed she had the ball a far shorter time and the ref shouldn't have included the few seconds it took for her to get up off the ground. She also said she was never warned by Pedersen herself; she merely was given a general reminder about speeding up play from a linesman at halftime.

"We feel like we got robbed in this game," McLeod said.

Wambach disputes that, saying that after she started the counting routine Pedersen continually told McLeod to speed up play and McLeod would acknowledge it by raising her hand to the referee.

The more times Wambach counted, the more impossible it became for the referee to ignore the delays and thus not make the call.

"Yes it's uncharacteristic," Wambach said. "But the rules are the rules. You can say it's gamesmanship, you can say it's smart, but I'm a competitor. We needed to get a goal. They're trying to waste time; I'm trying to speed it up."

Wambach's teammates say that game awareness and brilliance is part of what makes her a superstar. The 5-foot-11 forward isn't just a physical presence with a knack for scoring – she has a goal in all five U.S. games in this tournament.

The 32-year-old veteran from Pittsford, N.Y., knows soccer, is constantly aware of how the game is developing around her, and is practically a coach on the field.

"You need to be aware of the game at all times," Morgan said. "And Abby was just making the ref aware."

Herdman, the Canadian coach, was asked about Wambach's admission and tipped his hat to the player. While he said his players can learn from her, he wouldn't ask them to do any counting in the future.

"If Abby has done that, good on her," Herdman said. "Wambach's a great player, she's a pro, she knows how to win matches. … She found a loophole. Our players can learn from that."

Wambach said she was ready for the delay tactics due to previous games with the Canadians in which they often attempted to stall. She recalled one game in which she claims there was a "planned 20-minute cramping their goalkeeper took."

So with their gold-medal chances hanging in the balance and every precious second meaning so much, the Americans' great talent figured out how to change the course of the game with her intelligence.

Wambach kept counting until it couldn't be ignored.

"I think making the referee aware of a situation, there is nothing wrong with that," Wambach said. "At the end of the day, the ref made the decision on her own."

And the U.S. used it to advance to Thursday's gold-medal game with Japan back in London.
===============================================================

Just brilliant. Astute awareness by a seasoned veteran.

Date: August 8, 2012 06:33

The Sicilian
Just brilliant. Astute awareness by a seasoned veteran.

That is what I think too, and their coach agreed... and unless someone can point out where this is bad, or poor sportswomenship, then I think it is just smart play.

Date: August 8, 2012 06:41

so happy aliya mustafina was able to come out of the olympics with 4 medals, the most for any women gymnast this year. i was devasted when she got injured last year and thought there was no chance for her to even be there after tearing her ACL. she came through tough with 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze medaling in every event she qualified for. not easy having the pressure of being called the worlds greatest gymnast and coming back from an almost career ending injury just 15 months ago.

Date: August 8, 2012 06:54

They could get rid of lot of these event categories (e.g. horses, judo, air gun shooting, gymnastics, hand ball) and The Olympics would be fine.... but one of the best events, and one that which no longer gets the attention it deserves, is THE HIGH JUMP. One of the most pure and truely amazing Olympic events.

Men who stand about 6 foot tall jumping over a bar 7 foot 9 3/4 inches high... absolutley amazing.

Date: August 8, 2012 07:33

LOL, I think I heard the man who won the high jump this year was tossed out of a competiton a year ago for being... drunk ?.... lol... is that against the rules? ...and then this year he could not find a shirt, and time was running out, so he just jumped in a T shirt.... and did excellent... he won Gold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 18:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 08:10

I'm involved in the BMX part of the Olympic Games...It starts today with finals on Friday....(and I know all purists will say it doesn't belong in the Olympics, but you better check it out, it's cool)

In contrast to Beach volleyball and other spectator friendly sport, we don't play "we will rock you" with Queen or any other cheeky rock anthems...no sir, quite a lot of Rolling Stones... I wouldn't be surprised if you will hear All Down The Line blasting trough the speakers during the final..

Here's an example of what we've done in the past

Track animation

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 8, 2012 09:49

Are you competing, JoT839? It must be fantastic to be involved in any capacity. Best of British to our BMX riders!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 10:22 by Beast.

Date: August 8, 2012 10:36

Were I the head of the Olympic organization would I:

1. Cut the amount of sporting events in half. (thereby increasing the value of a medal).
2. Cut the corruption.
3. Cut the costs in half.
4. Allocate the games on more than one city.
5. Make sure all buildings comes to use after the games.

When it comes to number 1 above I would specifically cut the amount of events in swimming (there are far to many now) cut out silly pop-sports and doubtable sports like wrestling and walking. And of course all sports involving guns. And stupid upper class sports involving horses. Etc, etc.....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home