Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2012 05:48

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 7, 2012 07:58

here are a few photos of Mick Jagger in London at the Olympics

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 7, 2012 10:19

Rockman

Love her cheeky humor and wild streak....
Check this out - I just found it on youtube: watch Phelps circle around our Ricey like a panther. Such a shame, I just know Rice would have at least medaled without the shoulder injury.

Date: August 7, 2012 12:20

Very cool pictures, Beast. I have to say that the whole of London seems to have captured the Olympic spirit and a great mood pervades with everyone being very cheery and polite to each other! The support for all the athletes, not just Team GB, has also been extraordinary.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 7, 2012 13:31

Talking about men of wealth and taste. The last man to receive a charter of nobility in Sweden was the great explorer and geographer Sven Hedin in 1902. Britain is, I guess, one of very few countries where this system is still intact. I was wondering about the protocol here. Sir Michael is a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) and Lord Coe a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE). Does that mean Sir Michael has to call Lord Coe Sir? As I understand Lord Coe, as well as many British goldmedalists, will be bestowed an honorary title after the games. Does that mean he will receive a Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE)?

And another question: Why is Sir Michael treated like a dignitary here? He has no background in sports and has no official position and, furthermore, doesn't even pay taxes in Great Britain. Maybe some Briton feels compelled to respond to these, I'm afraid, rather silly questions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 13:37 by Stoneage.

Date: August 7, 2012 13:33

The norwegian handball women are giving me a heart attack!

It took them almost 5 games to find back to their strenghts. Now, they're in the semi finals thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 7, 2012 15:02

Stoneage
Why is Sir Michael treated like a dignitary here?

Because he is Mick Jagger

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2012 15:25

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
My apologies if this has already been addressed, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. The New York Times has an article about how the Olympics have been an economic dissapointment for London businesses. Is this getting any press in London? I would think that even if it's been a disaster econonically, Londoners are still proud of the job they are doing hosting the games.

[www.nytimes.com]

Interesting story, but I am betting in the long run London (and Londoners) will be very happy they held these games. It is expensive, but I think the goodwill created from successful games goes a long long way... and from what I understand London has learned from other cities when it comes to the how to handl;e the Olympic venues themselves.

This article tells about how most venues were inexpensively built with the plan to dismantle them afterwrds... as opposed to letting them rot like they have in other cities...
[sports.yahoo.com]
=========================================
....."The Olympics will not crumble here the way they did in places such as Athens and Beijing, cities where spectacular structures were hailed as architectural feats only to deteriorate when the Games ended and there proved no need for a gigantic Olympic stadium or an outdoor high diving board. Things like London's basketball arena, field hockey stadium, and water polo stadium were intentionally built not as great structures but as unappealing temporary facilities that will be easily ripped down, their parts to be used elsewhere.

This was the plan for London, which has spent more than 9 billion pounds to put on these games and could not afford to wind up with a park of wasted buildings surrounded by yards of security fences. So the plan was to always have a series of buildings that can be quickly destroyed.

"We don't need a 12,000-seat basketball arena," Tudor said. "We don't need an outdoor hockey arena."

London has a master plan for the site. The plan is detailed and has strict deadlines. The plan envisions a gigantic neighborhood rising in a section of town once dominated by factories, dumps, and marshland. The plan has the basketball arena gone by next year, replaced with winding lanes, apartments, and houses with gardens in a village that will be called Chobham Manor.

The plan says the area surrounding Olympic Stadium is going to become a mixed-use area of stores and restaurants and bars and will be named Marshgate Wharf.

By 2014, the Olympic Park will look completely different......"
===========================================

That seems really really smart... compared an contrast to this story about Athens rotting Olympic venues

[summergames.ap.org]
===================================================
""...There's still one group that loves the training pool for athletes at the former Olympic village in Athens' northern fringe.

Frogs.

They appear to delight in sitting on debris that floats on the half-filled pool's murky waters.

The athletes village itself has fared somewhat better, turned into housing for workers.

Eight years after the 2004 Athens Games, many of the Olympic venues Greece built at great expense remain abandoned or rarely used. They are the focus of great public anger as the country struggles through a fifth year of recession and nearly three years of a debt crisis that has seen a surge in poverty and unemployment.

At the southern Athens venue for softball — a sport unknown in Greece and already out of the Summer Olympics — the occasional weed is all that remains on the dried-out field.....""
=====================================================

Good for London for being so smart.

Interesting Max'sKansasCity, it's good that the London planners have learned from the mistakes that Athens and Bejing made. However, it does appear from the Times article that their predictions of overcrowding and an immediate economic boast have not come to pass, with business down 30% from the normal at this time of year. I suspect that has more to do with the worldwide economic downturn. People just can't afford to travel as much or spend as much, even for the Olympics. Oh well, at least the frogs are happy!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 7, 2012 15:31

London has been bombarded with publicity for months in advance telling us to avoid public transport, work from home, don't come into Central London, don't drive in the special Olympics lanes - and like good little citizens we have done as we were told. result: a fantastic traffic-free London for the Olympics guests and a drop in business for some people. Personally I think that the hotels who tried to charge five times their usual prices have got what they deserved.

Anyway: three more cheers for Brownlee 1 and Brownlee 2 (Gold and bronze in the Triathlon). Doesn't seems fair to have not one good triathlete, but twins!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2012 16:32

Stoneage
And another question: Why is Sir Michael treated like a dignitary here? He has no background in sports and has no official position and, furthermore, doesn't even pay taxes in Great Britain. Maybe some Briton feels compelled to respond to these, I'm afraid, rather silly questions?

I suspect that Mick is in a better position to appreciate athletic endeavour and what it takes to be an athlete than most of the lard arsed dignitaries in attendance !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 18:49 by Spud.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 7, 2012 18:06

Green Lady
London has been bombarded with publicity for months in advance telling us to avoid public transport, work from home, don't come into Central London, don't drive in the special Olympics lanes - and like good little citizens we have done as we were told. result: a fantastic traffic-free London for the Olympics guests and a drop in business for some people. Personally I think that the hotels who tried to charge five times their usual prices have got what they deserved.

Anyway: three more cheers for Brownlee 1 and Brownlee 2 (Gold and bronze in the Triathlon). Doesn't seems fair to have not one good triathlete, but twins!

+1

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 7, 2012 18:11

The Flying Dutchman!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 7, 2012 18:12

Green Lady

Lets see what Rio does next time, but I seem to recall the last several Olympic host cities giving these same warnings.... going all the way back to the Los Angeles Olympics.... and each time the city was way less crowded than ever during the games....

Green Lady

VERY VERY NICE!!! CHEERS smileys with beer
Gotta love the siblings winning medals together

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 18:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 7, 2012 18:37

Just watched the finals of Men's horizontal bar, part of the gymnastics. As the picture, posted by Mathijs, already showed, Flying Dutchman Epke Sonderland won the gold medal after a truly magnificent performance. That was great to see.
But what really warmed my heart was the wonderful sportsmenship of the other contestors. Right after Epke's performance he was congratulated by the other sporters and coaches. No rivalry, no nationalism, just true sportsmenship. Absolutely fabulous.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 7, 2012 18:40

Rolling Hansie
Just watched the finals of Men's horizontal bar, part of the gymnastics. As the picture, posted by Mathijs, already showed, Flying Dutchman Epke Sonderland won the gold medal after a truly magnificent performance. That was great to see.
But what really warmed my heart was the wonderful sportsmenship of the other contestors. Right after Epke's performance he was congratulated by the other sporters and coaches. No rivalry, no nationalism, just true sportsmenship. Absolutely fabulous.
Good to hear thumbs up

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 7, 2012 18:45

Rolling Hansie

Totally agreed Hansie. This is sport at its very best: it's simply a form of art and much more interesting than 100 meters running or swimming as fast as you can.

Fantastic to see. I also like Epke Zonderland's haircut: he's a true rocker (without the coke).

Date: August 7, 2012 18:53

kleermaker
This is sport at its very best: it's simply a form of art and much more interesting than 100 meters running or swimming as fast as you can.

You like events that are judged by a panel more than those won on the field with no judging? So maybe next world Cup, they can just judge who wins by how the teams practicie, no need to actaully play thae games??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 18:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 7, 2012 19:00

HUGE PROPS TO USA WOMEN'S WATER POLO TEAM!!
Who knew that if the score is tied at the end of regualtion
then water polo plays 2 overtimes, no matter the score at the
end of the first OT? That water polo is crazy sport.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 7, 2012 19:01

kleermaker
Rolling Hansie

Totally agreed Hansie. This is sport at its very best: it's simply a form of art and much more interesting than 100 meters running or swimming as fast as you can.

Fantastic to see. I also like Epke Zonderland's haircut: he's a true rocker (without the coke).

isn´t it usual behaviour to congrat each other between athletes ?
I think these guys know and respect each other very well from competeing regularly...
very touching to see how athletes helped a chinese runner tumbling at the first hurdle today after the race because he seemed to be injured...

Sure Epke´s not wearing a wig ? grinning smiley
anyway,he´s the champ,congrats.

Date: August 7, 2012 19:06

Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker
This is sport at its very best: it's simply a form of art and much more interesting than 100 meters running or swimming as fast as you can.

You like events that are judged by a panel more than those won on the field with no judging? So maybe next world Cup, they can just judge who wins by how the teams practicie, no need to actaully play thae games??

If even a layman can see that someone is the very best of a field full of Olympic, world and European champions and the decision is totally indisputable and the reactions of the public, participants and coaches are obvious I have not any problem at all with a panel.

See and enjoy this form of art which sport sometimes can be (video included):

[www.nrc.nl]

Look especially at the way he lands. Unbelievable.

Date: August 7, 2012 19:16

kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker

If even a layman can see that someone is the very best of a field full of Olympic, world and European champions and the decision is totally indisputable and the reactions of the public, participants and coaches are obvious I have not any problem at all with a panel.

[www.nrc.nl]

I didnt dispute his win, I am not a nationalistic zealot like you and Mathiest... I dont ONLY post good words here when my country does well. I enjoy seeing all the athletes from all the countries do well.

I just find it interesting to hear that you want all sports judged by a panel versus actually playing the games. I understand that some ice skaters feel the same way. [sports.espn.go.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 19:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 7, 2012 20:41

Watching the great Usain Bolt runs the prelims for the 200.. and sheesh... wouldnt it be interesting if there someone, anyone, who could push this man?... he never seems to be pushed/forced to finish hard... he is always so far out in front that he coasts into the finish.

Dont misunderstand, I am not complaining or bashing, I am simply saying that I have seen him run a lot of races and he always seems to coast at the end... even in the finals. I wonder how fast he could run if he had someone to worry about?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 7, 2012 20:51

Max'sKansasCity
Watching the great Usain Bolt runs the prelims for the 200.. and sheesh... wouldnt it be interesting if there someone, anyone, who could push this man?... he never seems to be pushed/forced to finish hard... he is always so far out in front that he coasts into the finish.

Dont misunderstand, I am not complaining or bashing, I am simply saying that I have seen him run a lot of races and he always seems to coast at the end... even in the finals. I wonder how fast he could run if he had someone to worry about?

hey,he just don´t want to run a world record by mistake...winking smiley

Date: August 7, 2012 20:53

Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker

[www.nrc.nl]

I didnt dispute his win, I am not a nationalistic zealot like you and Mathiest... I dont ONLY post good words here when my country does well. I enjoy seeing all the athletes from all the countries do well.

I just find it interesting to hear that you want all sports judged by a panel versus actually playing the games. I understand that some ice skaters feel the same way. [sports.espn.go.com]

Man, I'm not nationalistic at all. You are, with your USA!USA!USA! yells all the time. I enjoyed this whole finale. All gymnasts were fantastic. The last name of the winner is Zonderland, which means 'without land'. Well, how international do you want it to have?

BTW: you seem to have nothing learned about football from Hansie and me. Why? Because you say you love that sport. But for a big part it's also a 'panel'-sport: there's namely a referee, which we call in Dutch 'arbiter', and his decisions are often disputable. Think of the match you reported here between the USA- and Canadian women.

This winner is also very modest, nice and calm. If he was German of French or whatever I would respect him just as much. But you are still rancorous. Let it loose, man. Relax and have a beer.

Date: August 7, 2012 20:59

shortfatfanny
Max'sKansasCity

hey,he just don´t want to run a world record by mistake...winking smiley
That must be it SFF winking smiley

They say no man has repeated in the 200, I have a feeling Mr. Bolt will be doing that with no problems, or competiton what so ever.

Date: August 7, 2012 21:06

kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker

[www.nrc.nl]

Man, I'm not nationalistic at all. You are, with your USA!USA!USA! yells all the time. I enjoyed this whole finale. All gymnasts were fantastic. The last name of the winner is Zonderland, which means 'without land'. Well, how international do you want it to have?

BTW: you seem to have nothing learned about football from Hansie and me. Why? Because you say you love that sport. But for a big part it's also a 'panel'-sport: there's namely a referee, which we call in Dutch 'arbiter', and his decisions are often disputable. Think of the match you reported here between the USA- and Canadian women.

This winner is also very modest, nice and calm. If he was German of French or whatever I would respect him just as much. But you are still rancorous. Let it loose, man. Relax and have a beer.

This does not even makes sense.... maybe you have had too many beers

Date: August 7, 2012 21:40

google doodle today.. FUN!!! [www.google.com]

FINGERS!! FINGER!! FINGERS!!! JUMP!!!!
GO HAND!!! AND MY HAND WINS THE THE GOLD MEDAL!!!

damn, there I go being all handlistic again...

GO HAND!!!! HAND !! HAND !! HAND!!

AND THE HAND WINS!! HANDS DOWN!!!

I knew Rosie was allright.. she wears my ring. winking smiley

Date: August 7, 2012 21:43

Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker

[www.nrc.nl]

This does not even makes sense.... maybe you have had too many beers

I don't drink beer. Just daily one glass of red wine. Try to regain your sense of humour. It must be somewhere in the neighbourhood I guess. Good luck and cheers!

Date: August 7, 2012 21:51

HAND!! HAND !! HAND!!! ..
AND THE HAND WINS!!!!..... HANDS DOWN!!!

I never lost my sense of humor, but when it cxomes to people hating, like you started off on this thread screaming your hate for America... well... I have no patience... or doctors... or even patients.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 7, 2012 21:51

kleermaker, you have managed to take a really worthwhile topic and make it a nighmare of stupidity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home