Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2012 10:52

Stoneage
Thanks for the 1976 video, SFF. So he liked Lasse Virén, the Finnish long distance runner. Doxa, are you reading this?

Aah, those were the days... Finland still had great long distance runners and The Stones were a living and breathing band...

It looks like both of our countries are not having any remarkable success at the moment, Stoneage, but who cares, take a look at this:

[www.medalspercapita.com]

(there is lways a way to find a statistics that suits for ya....grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2012 11:00

Always knew that, Doxa, but my modesty refrained me from telling it. As far as I know we never sent a team this Olympics. The only Swedish atlethes I have seen over there are the three handball girls who partied with Usain Bolt at 3 am after his 100 m win. Always something though...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2012 11:19

Sounds familiar, Stoneage.. the only remarkable thing that happend to Finnish team in the first week was that of Usain Bolt asking a phone number from one Finnish swimmer. She didn't gave it, but was the girl - and our press - was still so thrilled... okay, yesterday we had our first medal but, for christ sake, from wind surfing...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 11:20 by Doxa.

Date: August 8, 2012 11:19

Rowing, sailing, horseriding, cycling - I love the way we Brits win medals at the sports which involve sitting down!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2012 11:31

I love the way we Brits win medals at the sports which involve sitting down!

......... yeah but a tractor-pull would be a tad too noisey for sleepy London town

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 8, 2012 13:06

Norway! Gold!!!!!

Bjornulf

Date: August 8, 2012 13:26

bv
Norway! Gold!!!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:03

szef
mr_dja
Kirani James from Grenada was quite possibly the best example of "The Olympic Spirit" that I've ever seen. After his semi-final race he went to the runner from S. Africa with the prosthetic legs and quickly traded "bibs" with him. Even the commentators were mentioning how they had never seen that happen before. Then, after he won the Gold medal, I'm sure I saw him go to everyone who had just been in the race and shake their hands. And he's only 19 years old! Forget about winning a gold medal, I can only hope that my 19 year old son would be capable of that much grace and class if he were ever given the opportunity.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Nice behaviour, but 90% of athletes does the same thing. Nothing unusual. By the way what are your thoughts about Pistorious? What if they will develop super fast prosthetics and he will win all the competitions? Other athletes will have to cut their legs to be competitive?

As far as Pistorious, and any other "disabled" athletes are concerned, I don't have a problem with them competing as long as the governing body of the sport doesn't have a problem with it. From all the reports I heard about him and his prosthetic legs, they don't seem to give him any competitive advantage and I think that's the key, at least in my mind. As I said to a friend the other day, "all of the other sprinters wear shoes on the end of their legs, he just has different shoes on the end of his legs".

It is an interesting question/situation though. We here so much about keeping "drugs" away from athletes so there is no "competitive advantage" yet all these athletes are most likely on special diets to make sure they get the desired vitamins and nutrition to perform at their peek. So certain chemicals are allowed and others not.

Cyclists are using special helmets and bicycles to give them the best advantage to win but I'm sure all of them go through some sort of testing to make sure they meet the criteria of the sport. Gymnasts have special braces on their hands and wrists when they compete on the bars. The rifle (and I think archery though I haven't seen much of that on TV these games) competitors all seem to wear "stability aids" to help them in their sports.

It's actually quite difficult to think of a single sport where equipment ISN'T a factor. I think that's why, where Pistorious, and others are concerned, for me anyway, it really comes down to competitive advantage. If, within the rules of the sport, the equipment is deemed to be within the established margins of "fair play", who am I to argue?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:14

Manofwealthandtaste
Rowing, sailing, horseriding, cycling - I love the way we Brits win medals at the sports which involve sitting down!

That's what the Australian press said in 2008. But my favourite jibe from those games, (Aussie press again), was about the swimming medals GB got: "Not bad for a nation that doesn't use soap."

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 8, 2012 18:03

JoT839
I'm involved in the BMX part of the Olympic Games...It starts today with finals on Friday....(and I know all purists will say it doesn't belong in the Olympics, but you better check it out, it's cool)

In contrast to Beach volleyball and other spectator friendly sport, we don't play "we will rock you" with Queen or any other cheeky rock anthems...no sir, quite a lot of Rolling Stones... I wouldn't be surprised if you will hear All Down The Line blasting trough the speakers during the final..

Here's an example of what we've done in the past

Track animation

I watched BMXers compete in Bejing 2008, and it was hard core, no easy task. You have my support. If the Olympic holds bike events on the road and in a velodrome, they sure as heck should hold them off-road too, especially when it is only a 3 day event (unlike some of these events that get subdivided and go on and on and on and on).

Good luck to you, and no matter, what please come back and tell us us how your team did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 18:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 8, 2012 18:20

HUGE PROPS to Germany's Timo Boll for medaling in Table Tennis, that is awesome!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 8, 2012 18:28

Manofwealthandtaste

Those sports arent exactly chess and tiddlywinks, when it comes to physical effort!

We havent done too bad in athletics, triathlon, gymnastics, tennis and boxing so far.

Throw in medals too in judo, canoeing, shooting and swimming and not forgetting theres still 2 or 3 other sports where we could yet get something, thats a pretty good spread.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 8, 2012 18:36

Congratulations to Steve Guerdat of Switzerland, Gerco Schroder of Holland and Cian O'Connor of Ireland (and their horses, of course) for managing to navigate a fiendishly tricky showjumping course inside a very tight time limit. Guerdat managing the only double clear round within the time, and the other two providing an exciting jump-off for the silver and bronze places.

But a special mention to Bob Ellis the course builder, who had the competitors jumping over Tower Bridge, a London bus, jousting knights, Stonehenge, St. Paul's Cathedral and the Abbey Road crossing....

[www.horsecarecourses.com]

PS: Thanks for mentioning that gymnastics final: Epke Sonderland is amazing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 18:43 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 8, 2012 18:58

But a special mention to Bob Ellis the course builder, who had the competitors jumping over Tower Bridge, a London bus, jousting knights, Stonehenge, St. Paul's Cathedral and the Abbey Road crossing....

I hope at least one of the horses wasnt wearing any shoes....

Date: August 8, 2012 19:01

In the women's 800 metres, all credit to Merve Aydin for hobbling to the finish of her heat in spite of a painful injury - and to Sarah Attar of Saudi Arabia for being there at all. Both ladies came in last - but that wasn't the point.

Date: August 8, 2012 19:03

Gazza

I hope at least one of the horses wasnt wearing any shoes....

Actually, one of them did lose a shoe on the way round...

Date: August 8, 2012 19:11

Green Lady
In the women's 800 metres, all credit to Merve Aydin for hobbling to the finish of her heat in spite of a painful injury - and to Sarah Attar of Saudi Arabia for being there at all. Both ladies came in last - but that wasn't the point.
thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 19:17

Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

Kirani James from Grenada was quite possibly the best example of "The Olympic Spirit" that I've ever seen. After his semi-final race he went to the runner from S. Africa with the prosthetic legs and quickly traded "bibs" with him. Even the commentators were mentioning how they had never seen that happen before. Then, after he won the Gold medal, I'm sure I saw him go to everyone who had just been in the race and shake their hands. And he's only 19 years old! Forget about winning a gold medal, I can only hope that my 19 year old son would be capable of that much grace and class if he were ever given the opportunity.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes. When I think of all the people who dismiss the Olympics, find them 'boring' etc....
They don't get it. This is what its all about.

Good stuff...

GRENADA!!! GRENADA!! GRENADA!!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 8, 2012 19:40

I wasn't aware of the new rules in Boxing.It's the guy who don't fight who win ?
Pitiful referees yesterday night and some days ago...

Mazaheri (Iran) should have been the winner
Savon (Cuba) should have been the winner
Oubaali and Vastine (France) same as above

I'm really confused smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 19:41 by Honestman.

Date: August 8, 2012 20:01

Honestman
I wasn't aware of the new rules in Boxing.It's the guy who don't fight who win ?
Pitiful referees yesterday night and some days ago...

Mazaheri (Iran) should have been the winner
Savon (Cuba) should have been the winner
Oubaali and Vastine (France) same as above

I'm really confused smiley

You are correct.

I no longer follow boxing. I havent folowing it since "that one fight"... "years ago"... "which disgusted me away from the rigged BS nature at the heart of it"...

but I have peeked in on this Olympics boxing a couple of time this year, just to see whats up... and every time the commentators themselves were ranting about how rigged it was... no kidding.... every time I switched over to boxing, the guys themselves were complaining that something was wrong... rules had been changed.... payoffs may have been made.... boxers who were knocked down several times wininng bogus matches... they were admitting that it seemed rigged.... so I turned it off and did not go back..... I did not even bother to make a post about it, in an effort to keep this thread on a positive track, but being it was brought up.... Yeah boxing is as rigged as it gets.... and facts be known, I no longer trust ANY event that is "judged".

There are now just too many proven/admitted examples of rigged jurys in history. imuho, if it is not won on the track, field, court, water, pitch, table,etc etc... then it was probably rigged... and you can trust me, this is not sour grapes, facts be known I have been of the happy/"winning" end of it more times than not (but there is no glory in "winning" like that) Fk judged sporting events, they are nothing but glorified beauty contests.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 20:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 8, 2012 20:46

Did you see the little RC(radio controlled) mini cooper cars which they are
using to retrieve the javelins, shot puts and hammers after they have been thrown?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 00:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 8, 2012 20:55

Green Lady

It's Zonderland actually. Sonderland sounds like a Danish/Scandinavian name.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2012 20:58

Max'sKansasCity
HUGE PROPS to Germany's Timo Boll for medaling in Table Tennis, that is awesome!

Didn't he already win a gold medal for bowling?

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 8, 2012 21:29

"Kirani James from Grenada was quite possibly the best example of "The Olympic Spirit" that I've ever seen. After his semi-final race he went to the runner from S. Africa with the prosthetic legs and quickly traded "bibs" with him. Even the commentators were mentioning how they had never seen that happen before. Then, after he won the Gold medal, I'm sure I saw him go to everyone who had just been in the race and shake their hands. And he's only 19 years old! Forget about winning a gold medal, I can only hope that my 19 year old son would be capable of that much grace and class if he were ever given the opportunity."

Yeah that was definitely one of the best moments in these games.

Date: August 8, 2012 21:45

2 spectacular games going on right now,
ITA V HUN water polo and
CHN V BRA in beach volley ball...
better hurry they are winding down.

USA V CRO men's water polo coming right up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 21:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 8, 2012 22:02

kleermaker
Green Lady

Sorry!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 8, 2012 22:31

The Sicilian
Max'sKansasCity
MANCHESTER, England – Abby Wambach has won games for the United States women's soccer team with her goal scoring.

On Monday, she helped the Americans dramatically defeat Canada 4-3 in an Olympic semifinal with her brains, guile and gamesmanship by delivering a crucial and controversial refereeing decision.While the original call angered the Canadians at the time, coach John Herdman applauded Wambach's "do-anything-to-win-matches" attitude on Tuesday.

It was no secret Canada's strategy against the deeper, more talented Americans was to slow the game down. That included, Wambach said, having goalkeeper Erin McLeod hold the ball as long as possible, even over 15 seconds at times during the first half. Soccer rules say the goalkeeper must get rid of the ball within six seconds.

During the second half, with the U.S. frantically trying to speed up the game while attempting multiple comebacks, Wambach began running near referee Christiana Pedersen and counting off the seconds that McLeod held the ball. She said she often got to 10 and into even the teens.

"I wasn't yelling. I was just counting," Wambach revealed Tuesday during an interview at the team hotel. "Probably did it five to seven times."

The last time came in the 78th minute, with Canada trying to milk a 3-2 lead. McLeod made a save, and Wambach began counting again.

"I got to 10 seconds right next to the referee, and at 10 seconds she blew the whistle," Wambach said.

The call was for delay of game. There was confusion on the field, because it was an exceedingly rare decision. Not another American or Canadian player or coach remembers the call ever being made, let alone in such crucial moments of an international tournament.

Regardless, the result was an indirect kick for the Americans inside the Canadian box. That kick wound up hitting a Canadian defender's hand, which meant a penalty kick for the Americans.

Wambach stepped up to the spot in the 80th minute and drilled a low shot off the left post and into the net to tie the game. In the final minute of stoppage time in the last overtime session, the USA's Alex Morgan headed a cross past McLeod for the incredible game winner.

Canada fumed, both during and after the game. Canadian star Christine Sinclair went as far as to charge the referee with deciding before the game that she would do whatever it took to help the Americans win.

"We feel like we didn't lose," Sinclair said. "We feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started."

McLeod, the goalkeeper, claimed she had the ball a far shorter time and the ref shouldn't have included the few seconds it took for her to get up off the ground. She also said she was never warned by Pedersen herself; she merely was given a general reminder about speeding up play from a linesman at halftime.

"We feel like we got robbed in this game," McLeod said.

Wambach disputes that, saying that after she started the counting routine Pedersen continually told McLeod to speed up play and McLeod would acknowledge it by raising her hand to the referee.

The more times Wambach counted, the more impossible it became for the referee to ignore the delays and thus not make the call.

"Yes it's uncharacteristic," Wambach said. "But the rules are the rules. You can say it's gamesmanship, you can say it's smart, but I'm a competitor. We needed to get a goal. They're trying to waste time; I'm trying to speed it up."

Wambach's teammates say that game awareness and brilliance is part of what makes her a superstar. The 5-foot-11 forward isn't just a physical presence with a knack for scoring – she has a goal in all five U.S. games in this tournament.

The 32-year-old veteran from Pittsford, N.Y., knows soccer, is constantly aware of how the game is developing around her, and is practically a coach on the field.

"You need to be aware of the game at all times," Morgan said. "And Abby was just making the ref aware."

Herdman, the Canadian coach, was asked about Wambach's admission and tipped his hat to the player. While he said his players can learn from her, he wouldn't ask them to do any counting in the future.

"If Abby has done that, good on her," Herdman said. "Wambach's a great player, she's a pro, she knows how to win matches. … She found a loophole. Our players can learn from that."

Wambach said she was ready for the delay tactics due to previous games with the Canadians in which they often attempted to stall. She recalled one game in which she claims there was a "planned 20-minute cramping their goalkeeper took."

So with their gold-medal chances hanging in the balance and every precious second meaning so much, the Americans' great talent figured out how to change the course of the game with her intelligence.

Wambach kept counting until it couldn't be ignored.

"I think making the referee aware of a situation, there is nothing wrong with that," Wambach said. "At the end of the day, the ref made the decision on her own."

And the U.S. used it to advance to Thursday's gold-medal game with Japan back in London.
===============================================================

Just brilliant. Astute awareness by a seasoned veteran.

All power to Wambach for doing whatever it took to win. A pox, though, on the referee, for allowing herself to be intimidated into making those two "unusual" calls at such a crucial point in such an important game, particularly with no card preceding the delay of game call. Note that she has not been selected to work either of the medal games.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 8, 2012 22:44

Green Lady
kleermaker
Green Lady

Sorry!

No problem of course. Here he's called Epke. It's an unusual (Frisian) name. Well, he's a Frisian of course.

Date: August 8, 2012 22:55

THE GOLDEN GIRLS DO IT AGAIN!!! 3 IN A ROW!!! AMAZING!!! [www.cbsnews.com]

DANCE!!! DANCE LIL SISTER, DANCE!!!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 00:00 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 9, 2012 03:50

I (unexpectedly) love Sweet Sally Pearson!!!
Here is a great post race interview from her.

Although I dont know why they are calling her Sally McClellan, might be an Aussie thing

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 04:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home