Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2012 19:07

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Isn't that what we really really want?

I dont know, why dont you tell us what you want, what you really really want.

Oh, I'll tell you what I want what I really really want.

Give me a moment to think about what I really really want.

I'm pretty sure I don't wanna be your lover though...so we can take that out of the list of options.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 10, 2012 19:17

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Isn't that what we really really want?

I dont know, why dont you tell us what you want, what you really really want.

Oh, I'll tell you what I want what I really really want.

Give me a moment to think about what I really really want.

I'm pretty sure I don't wanna be your lover though...so we can take that out of the list of options.

LOL smiling smiley eggzachary....

Ill tell you what I want, what I really want...
I want one of these mini-mini coopers... good idea, fun story, great marketing.

and might I say, it is good to see these young men have their priorities
straight, it is ok to mess up because of that... every once in a while winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 19:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 10, 2012 20:54

speaking of the Olympics...
They say this afternoon's Men's Basketball games bewtween USA V ARG could be an interesting game... just an FYI.

If you have been following the Men's basketball in these Olympics you have seen a lot of "flopping"/"diving" like they do in football/soccer... and the result has been some retaliation in the form of "YOU WANNA FLOP?!! I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO FLOP ABOUT!" and they did.... and holy cow!! it has gotten physical... anyway...

Posted by: szef ()
Date: August 10, 2012 21:06

Is it true that NBC doesn't show some important events like 100 meter final, because they "doesn't fit american audience"?

Date: August 10, 2012 21:57

Duuuuude, the trails.... whoa...

Date: August 10, 2012 22:28

NICE!!! The Aussie women's sych swimming team does their thing to AC/DC THUNDERSTRUCK!!

Angus must be proud... hopefully full tape will be available later

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 10, 2012 22:43

GreenLady
By the way, there don't seem to have been many athletics world records this time around - I wonder why.

hey,the US 4x100m ladies just run a world record...smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 10, 2012 22:46

Gazza
Green Lady
By the way, there don't seem to have been many athletics world records this time around - I wonder why.

Its been the trend in recent games. Better drug-testing!

In all seriousness, the main reason you dont see too many world records in anything over 400 metres in the Olympics is because, unlike the run of the mill 'meets', you don't have world class athletes using other athletes as pacemakers.

Check out that men's 800 metres final last night. All but one of the finalists ran their best ever or season's best, and Rudisha beat the world record (probably the best athletics performance of the Olympics so far). An incredible performance considering he led from start to finish - with no pacemakers.

Date: August 10, 2012 22:48

...cool,and the swiss guys (un-)checking the length of the hammer throws probably robbed Betty Heidler a medal.
what a farce.

Edit : now they´re checking the length with the good old rope...´cause they´ve found an unverified one in their system.
respect.

Edit 2 : now she´s ranked after the competition on rank 3.
that´s true olympic spirit.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2012 23:30

szef
Is it true that NBC doesn't show some important events like 100 meter final, because they "doesn't fit american audience"?

they feel the americans just can't handle the drama...that must be the reason.

Date: August 10, 2012 23:33

shortfatfanny
...cool,and the swiss guys (un-)checking the length of the hammer throws probably robbed Betty Heidler a medal.
what a farce.

Edit : now they´re checking the length with the good old rope...´cause they´ve found an unverified one in their system.
respect.

What is the story here SFF, what does "un check the length" mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 23:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 10, 2012 23:50

Max'sKansasCity
shortfatfanny
what a farce.

respect.

Quite bizarre,the system checking those lenghts failed with scoring Heidlers 5th attempt correctly.
It was clearly seen on the screen that this attempt was over 75m...the board showed 72somewhat m.
After a certain time of complete confusion they figured out that they´ve stored a length which at first couldn´t be scored to her exactly.
Therefore they used that rope like in former times after the competition.
The 5th attempt has been scored finally with 77 somewhat m and the bronze medal.

Really fair.
That girl was happy...

Edit : protest by China,because their athlete dropped to 4th place...understandable.

Date: August 10, 2012 23:57

anyone knows about the american sprinter who finished the race 2nd with a broken leg yesterday ?

my dad told me about but couldn´t figure out the details as he´s watching the whole olympics day and night...

Date: August 11, 2012 00:06

shortfatfanny
anyone knows about the american sprinter who finished the race 2nd with a broken leg yesterday ?

my dad told me about but couldn´t figure out the details as he´s watching the whole olympics day and night...
Thank you for the hammer info.... here is a story about Manteo Mitchell.
======================================
London 2012: USA relay hero Manteo Mitchell breaks leg but keeps running
[www.guardian.co.uk]

• Manteo Mitchell felt his leg snap during first leg of 4x400m
• 'It hurt so bad but I didn't want to let those three guys down'

The USA's Manteo Mitchell let out 'a little war cry' when he felt his leg break during the 4x400m relay at London 2012.

Any athlete complaining of a minor injury during London 2012 had their troubles put firmly in perspective after it was confirmed that the USA's Manteo Mitchell ran on a broken leg.

Mitchell ran the first leg of the men's 4x400m relay and helped the USA finish joint fastest qualifiers for the final as they and the Bahamas were given identical times of 2min 58.87sec.

But the 25-year-old will not contest the final after an x-ray confirmed he had broken his left fibula bone during his run.

Mitchell said: "Three days ago I was going up the stairs [in the Olympic Village] and I kind of missed one and landed awkwardly. I got treatment and I was fine.

"I did workouts and when I warmed up I felt really well. I felt I could go 44 seconds. I got out pretty slow but I picked it up and when I got to the 100m mark it felt weird. I was thinking I just didn't feel right.

"As soon as I took the first step past the 200m mark I felt it break. I heard it. I even put out a little war cry but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it. I wanted to just lie down. It felt like somebody literally just snapped my leg in half.

"I knew if I finished strong we could still get the baton around. I saw Josh Mance motioning me in for me to hand it off to him, which lifted me. I didn't want to let those three guys down, or the team down, so I just ran on it. It hurt so bad. I'm pretty amazed that I still split 45 seconds on a broken leg."

Max Siegel, the USA Track and Field chief executive officer, said: "Manteo has become an inspiration and a hero for his team-mates. Without his courage and determination to finish, Team USA would not be at the starting line in the final.

"The team has rallied around him and we are all looking forward to the final days of competition."

====================================================
====================================================

This story has a better closing quote-

AP) LONDON -
[www.cbsnews.com]

Manteo Mitchell felt the pop in his leg and knew it wasn't good. "It felt like somebody literally just snapped my leg in half," he said.

The American sprinter had half a lap to go in the first leg of the 4x400-meter relay preliminaries Thursday and a choice to make: keep running or stop and lose the race. To him, it was never much of a choice.

He finished the lap and limped to the side to watch the Americans finish the race and qualify easily for the final. A few hours later, doctors confirmed what he suspected: He had run the last 200 meters with a broken left fibula.

"I heard it and I felt it," Mitchell told The Associated Press. "But I figured it's what almost any person would've done in that situation."
==========================================

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 00:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 11, 2012 00:29

Great handball - France beating Croatia.

France will without doubt become Olympic Winners - great team.

Date: August 11, 2012 00:29

man...thanks max for the infos about that guy.
unbelievable...he truly deserves honour,respect and a special medal.
I think they haven´t provided such an item at the Olympics...

Date: August 11, 2012 00:31

shortfatfanny
I agree.... ouch... it hurts my leg to even think about it.

Date: August 11, 2012 00:33

Lets hope all of the athletes stay healthy from here until the end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 01:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:11

Men's Pole Vault
Well done Renaud thumbs up

HMN

Date: August 11, 2012 01:22

Honestman
Men's Pole Vault
Well done Renaud

hell of a competition beating the two germans with his final attempt...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:27

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:27

shortfatfanny
Honestman
Men's Pole Vault
Well done Renaud

You're right SFF and very nice gesture and olympic spirit between all the guys.

HMN

Date: August 11, 2012 01:36

Honestman
shortfatfanny
Honestman
Men's Pole Vault
Well done Renaud

You're right SFF and very nice gesture and olympic spirit between all the guys.

yep,they obviously respect each other...nice to see.

Posted by: szef ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:40

shortfatfanny
Max'sKansasCity
shortfatfanny
what a farce.

respect.

Quite bizarre,the system checking those lenghts failed with scoring Heidlers 5th attempt correctly.
It was clearly seen on the screen that this attempt was over 75m...the board showed 72somewhat m.
After a certain time of complete confusion they figured out that they´ve stored a length which at first couldn´t be scored to her exactly.
Therefore they used that rope like in former times after the competition.
The 5th attempt has been scored finally with 77 somewhat m and the bronze medal.

Really fair.
That girl was happy...

Edit : protest by China,because their athlete dropped to 4th place...understandable.

It's not fair. I'm happy that Heidler got right score but Chinese girl gave up last attempt, because she was sure that she has medal. If she knew that she is ranked 4 before last attempt maybe she could be able to beat Heidler. Refs destroyed this competition.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 11, 2012 02:28

Max'sKansasCity
shortfatfanny
I agree.... ouch... it hurts my leg to even think about it.

Sad thing is that he won't get a medal at all because he didn't run in the final.

It seems rather unfair to me that countries with numerous athletes can effectively qualify for a track or swimming relay with one team and then substitute a fresh team in the final, perhaps against a team who have run semi-finals the same evening. Of course substitution shouldn't be banned entirely, but is there any limit on numbers at all?

Anyway, this doesn't take away from a wonderful performance by the US women's relay team Well done.

Date: August 11, 2012 02:35

Only 2 days to go... here is the latest tally from [sports.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 02:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 11, 2012 03:14

Max'sKansasCity
Honestman
I wasn't aware of the new rules in Boxing.It's the guy who don't fight who win ?
Pitiful referees yesterday night and some days ago...

Mazaheri (Iran) should have been the winner
Savon (Cuba) should have been the winner
Oubaali and Vastine (France) same as above

I'm really confused smiley

You are correct.

I no longer follow boxing. I havent folowing it since "that one fight"... "years ago"... "which disgusted me away from the rigged BS nature at the heart of it"...

but I have peeked in on this Olympics boxing a couple of time this year, just to see whats up... and every time the commentators themselves were ranting about how rigged it was... no kidding.... every time I switched over to boxing, the guys themselves were complaining that something was wrong... rules had been changed.... payoffs may have been made.... boxers who were knocked down several times wininng bogus matches... they were admitting that it seemed rigged.... so I turned it off and did not go back..... I did not even bother to make a post about it, in an effort to keep this thread on a positive track, but being it was brought up.... Yeah boxing is as rigged as it gets.... and facts be known, I no longer trust ANY event that is "judged".

There are now just too many proven/admitted examples of rigged jurys in history. imuho, if it is not won on the track, field, court, water, pitch, table,etc etc... then it was probably rigged... and you can trust me, this is not sour grapes, facts be known I have been of the happy/"winning" end of it more times than not (but there is no glory in "winning" like that) Fk judged sporting events, they are nothing but glorified beauty contests.

Here is a news story about the money paid for guaranteed medals.
====================================================================

Questions raised over London 2012 Olympic boxing scores
By Anna Adams and Meirion Jones
10 August 2012 Last updated at 13:26 ET
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Questions about the scoring in the Olympic men's boxing have been raised after a series of disputed results.

Last year Newsnight spoke to Olympic boxing insiders who alleged London 2012 medals could be bought.

We were told $9m had been paid from Azerbaijan to the international boxing authorities in return for two golds.

The International Boxing Authority (AIBA) denied any wrong doing. The IOC found no formal evidence of cash for medals as it stands.

However, some of the results over the last few days have raised some serious questions about the scoring system.

Eyebrows were first raised last Wednesday when Azerbaijan fought Japan.

The Azeri bantamweight Magomed Abdulhamidov won the match despite going down six times in the final round.

After an appeal by Japan the decision was overturned. The boxer from Azerbaijan was out, the Japanese fighter reinstated and the referee was on the next plane home to Turkmenistan.
Spectator reaction

Days later another Azeri, Teymur Mammadov, entered the ring and was awarded a very narrow victory against a Belarusian fighter Siarhei Karneyeu.

In the third round he seemed to commit holding fouls without being heavily penalised. The crowd and commentators were astounded when he won.

Belarus appealed but this time it was not upheld.

This result will not have surprised everybody.

Last year a Newsnight investigation got hold of a confidential investment agreement between someone from Azerbaijan and World Series Boxing, which is run by AIBA, who also run Olympic Boxing.

The investor from Azerbaijan paid $9m to fund an almost bankrupt tournament called the World Series Boxing ( WSB ) . The contract had been e-mailed by Azerbaijan's Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov.

The insiders said Ivan Khodabakhsh, the Chief Operating Officer of WSB, told them that a secret deal had been done in return for two gold medals.

One whistle blower told Newsnight: "Ivan boasted to a few of us that there was no need to worry about World Series Boxing having the coin to pay its bills. As long as the Azeris got their medals, WSB would have the cash."

Another said that Mr Khodabakhsh came in and said: "We are safe now - Azerbaijan came in - we have to give them medals for that."

"He was talking about gold medals in London in return for millions of dollars of secret payments," the insider added. "Medals are being sold so blatantly it's amazing."
Denial

But Mr Khodabakhsh told Newsnight that claims that there was any deal with Azerbaijan were "an absolute lie".

The president of the International Boxing Association, Ching-Ko- Wu who was ringside with David Cameron on Wednesday, said:

"The allegation that AIBA took a $10m bribe from Azerbaijan in exchange for two gold medals at the Olympic Games in London is untrue.

"I have worked extremely hard over the past six years to clean up amateur boxing after years of corruption scandals under the previous administration.

"There is only one way to win a gold medal at the Olympic Games and that is to train hard and fight well."

Boxing has had its fair share of scandals and accusations of match fixing. The most memorable one was at the Seoul Olympics in 1988 when the American Boxer Roy Jones Junior lost out to South Korean fighter

Three judges were later suspended amid accusations the boxing authorities had been bribed $2m by South Korea in return for two gold medals.

The scoring system has since changed and there is no evidence that any of the fights at London 2012 involving Azerbaijan or any other countries have been fixed.

There have been a number of appeals by other countries. Tom Stalker, from the British Boxing team's appeal was rejected by AIBA. American Welterweight Errol Spence was upheld after he fought India's Krishan Vikas.
Cost of appeals

Some people would like to see even more transparency in the scoring.

Our anonymous whistle blower said: "The reason I wanted to blow the whistle was to make sure that all the results were above board. But there are some very serious questions that need to be answered and I would like to know why the IOC can't intervene.'

Jim Neilly, BBC commentator who has been ringside at all the fights, said scoring has always been subjective and no scoring system was fool proof.

He said: "Boxing has to be seen to be squeaky clean here for the remainder of the London Olympics and if there is something as major as Roy Jones Junior or any incident or scandal the IOC would have to look very seriously at boxing.

"The whiff of that scandal has hung around since 1988. The big success of these games has been in women's boxing and that will help keep the sport in the Olympic Games."

It costs $500 every time an appeal is lodged and he said many countries such as Cuba cannot pay to contest the decisions.

Mr Neilly added: "It's upsetting because I still believe the Olympic games should be true and altruistic and Corinthian and the best person should win.'

Teymur Mammadov was defeated on Friday and finished with a bronze medal.

The other Azeri boxer Magomedrasul Mezhidov fights in the semi-finals later on Friday for a place in Sunday's final where he will face either Team GB's Anthony Joshua or Kazakhstan's Ivan Dychko.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 03:16 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 11, 2012 03:57

The Sicilian
Anyone getting the feeling that the American women, or girls for that sake, are dominating the Olympics so far?

It has now been officially confirmed.

Date: August 11, 2012 04:04

The Sicilian
The Sicilian
Anyone getting the feeling that the American women, or girls for that sake, are dominating the Olympics so far?

It has now been officially confirmed.
You are correct Sir. [www.npr.org]
And the American women cover the full age spectrum, from the oldest — equestrian Karen O'Connor, 54 — to the youngest, gold medal swimmer Katie Ledecky, 15.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 04:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 11, 2012 05:09

Some REALLY spectactular pictures here [www.theatlantic.com]

More spectactular pictures here [www.theatlantic.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home