Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 26 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 12, 2012 05:36

Green Lady
YES! Go MO!

thumbs upJust watched... and that was amazing, the other runners wanted
to (tried to) take it...... they wanted it bad..... but Mo wanted it more

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 12, 2012 07:42

yes right London has done it pretty well !
great results too : 28 gold medals while 19 in 2008 for UK !
I know they're home but that makes quite a big difference.
I hope all British athletes were clean. If they were not, I don't think we'll ever know it anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 07:47 by jpasc95.

Date: August 12, 2012 08:12

jpasc95
yes right London has done it pretty well !
great results too : 28 gold medals while 19 in 2008 for UK !
I know they're home but that makes quite a big difference.
I hope all British athletes were clean. If they were not, I don't think we'll ever know it anyway.

I read/saw something that said after one Olympics where GBR earned fewer medals than they thought they should, that GBR started a lottery designed to fund the GBR Olympic team and help them do better, and the efforts really paid off. GREAT FOR GBR!!

I could go and on about all the efforts, people blah blah blah which are required to do well in the Olympic games... but we all know that.... if a country really wants to do well, in every Olympics, they have to focus on it... it is not luck.. or even breeding... it is ... well you know.

EDIT-
I said that about the lottery with ONLY positive intent. It takes a lot of money and effort to makes all this happen and a lottery is a good idea. There are other sourse ces of money too... read about it here [www.london2012.com]

regarding the lottery

National Lottery
£2.2 billion of National Lottery funds are helping to create the facilities to host the Games, providing a legacy for the people of east London and the wider UK. The Lottery will share in the profits made from land and property sales in the future.

As well as the funding that the National Lottery is providing for the venues and infrastructure for the London 2012 Games, the Olympic Lottery Distributor is providing LOCOG with a grant of £66 million from National Lottery funds specifically for the Paralympic Games. The grant was agreed by the OLD Board in October 2011 and represents just under a third of the budget for the Paralympic Games.

The National Lottery is also playing a key role in funding work that will lead to increased participation in sport at a community and grassroots level and deliver improved community services and facilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 08:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 12, 2012 08:33

One Benefit Of Hosting The Olympics? More Medals

[www.npr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 08:34 by tatters.

Date: August 12, 2012 08:48

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 12, 2012 08:49

That theory will be put to good test in Rio. Canada has been the only host country never to win a medal.

The next Summer Olympics in Rio will have two new sports added - golf confused smiley and rugby.

Date: August 12, 2012 08:53

Beast
That theory will be put to good test in Rio. Canada has been the only host country never to win a medal.

The next Summer Olympics in Rio will have two new sports added - golf confused smiley and rugby.

Canada hosted and didnt earn a medal? really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 08:54 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 12, 2012 09:17

Apologies - I meant no gold medal. I think it was in Montreal.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 12, 2012 09:59

Max'sKansasCity
BRAVO LONDON... YOU DID AWESOME... IN SO MANY WAYS... ON SO MANY LEVELS. thumbs up

thumbs up

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 12, 2012 14:05

Anyone watching the men's marathon now ?

Anyone know why it won't have the traditional ending in the stadium just before the closing ceremonies ?

Date: August 12, 2012 15:37

Edith Grove

I did and it was great. Top sport and great views of London.

-------------------

Date: August 12, 2012 15:40

Max'sKansasCity
How about that crazy mountain bike racing?
The people who made that course must be sadist. I can hear them now "heh heh heh... lets make this steep hill out of nothing but boulders.... that should crash em good... it'll hurt... so good... heh heh"

Watching the final race right now. I think you are right about the people who made that course smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 12, 2012 15:57

Edith Grove

Anyone know why it won't have the traditional ending in the stadium just before the closing ceremonies ?

Probably because the organisers wanted to have a course that showcased London tourist sites (not very plentiful out towards Stratford). Also the annual London Marathon has lots of experience with running to a big finish in the Mall, so it seems sensible to use a tried and tested plan.

The other reason is probably that they are busy setting the stage for the closing ceremony in the stadium, and don't want the added complication of the Marathon finish.

Looked like a tough run out there today - warm and sticky. Well done to Kiprotich of Uganda and indeed to all the finishers, including Ramonene from Lesotho who is still out there running, with the spectators cheering him all the way to the line...

He's got there. Forty-seven minutes after the winner, but he made it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 12, 2012 18:12

Beast
The next Summer Olympics in Rio will have two new sports added - golf and rugby.

Is that true that Rugby will be added?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 12, 2012 18:42

Handball

Yes thumbs up Congrats to all !!!

HMN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 12, 2012 18:48

I'm just back from a well deserved holiday/vacation ..........I think the Netherlands did well only 16.000.000 people and on place 13 (20 medals) grinning smiley

Date: August 12, 2012 19:07

The Sicilian
Beast
The next Summer Olympics in Rio will have two new sports added - golf and rugby.

Is that true that Rugby will be added?

Rugby sevens (whatever that is).

[www.irb.com]

Rio Olympics golf course:

[www.olympic.org]

But already it's reportedly running into trouble:

[www.thepostgame.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 19:10 by Beast.

Date: August 12, 2012 20:56

And now... saddly, the games are concluded for 2012... The final medal count for the 2012 Olympic games.
3 different ways of rankings, for historical purposes only, there may be more, so anyone feel free to post more..

Ranked by total gold medals earned- [www.london2012.com]

Ranked by total medals earned- [sports.yahoo.com]

Per capita- [www.medalspercapita.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 21:04 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 12, 2012 21:34

Rolling Hansie
Max'sKansasCity
How about that crazy mountain bike racing?
The people who made that course must be sadist. I can hear them now "heh heh heh... lets make this steep hill out of nothing but boulders.... that should crash em good... it'll hurt... so good... heh heh"

Watching the final race right now. I think you are right about the people who made that course smiling smiley

Not that it is a bad thing winking smiley ... sadist seem to enjoy that type of thing

but man'o man, what a knarly bike course. Some courses at this Olympics I would love to go play on, just for fun (like the white water kayak course)... but that mountain bike course seems like an easy recipe for disaster... and I like my arms and legs as they are now (UN-broken).

Which brings up an intersting point... which medals are hardest to earn a gold medal? Which evbents favor being born with the correct body type to easily win a quick race... versus having to run a 3 hour marathon or fight it out with 50 other bike riders on a sadist course for one gold medal.

Of course all athletes have to train full time at this level, but some events seem harder/tougher/longer/more grueling to complete than others... but they all reward the same gold medal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 21:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: August 12, 2012 21:43

Looking forward to seeing rugby back in the Olympics. Would have liked to have seen the full version but I think 7s is perfect for the Olympics. The tournament can be played over a couple of days and it means they can make use of the stadium before the athletics start. I was just disappointed it wasn't in this Olympics.

Date: August 12, 2012 22:29

Edith Grove
They should add NASCAR to the next Olympics.

Well...
if any track should/could be an Olympic event it would be Watkins Glen**, so lets
award a gold medal to whomever wins this race today, The Aussies could win another gold. GO MARCOS AMBROSE!!

**and just to make it interesting, they would force driver to drive random cars,
and also.... let em shoot at each others tires...
Bicaralon (driving and shooting)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-12 22:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 12, 2012 22:40

Max'sKansasCity
Edith Grove

Well...
if any track should/could be an Olympic event it would be Watkins Glen**, so lets
award a gold medal to whomever wins this race today, The Aussies could win another gold. GO MARCOS AMBROSE!!

**and just to make it interesting, they would force driver to drive random cars,

Hell of a last lap, eh ?

Date: August 12, 2012 22:41

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity
Edith Grove

Well...

Hell of a last lap, eh ?
WHOA!!! HELLUVA LAST LAP!!!

And Marcos earns the Gold Medal in Nascar!!! alert the medals boards

Date: August 12, 2012 22:43

and yeah... I (of course) had Marcos in my NASCAR pool.

Good job Marcos Ambrose!

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: August 12, 2012 23:42

Amazing Olympics. amazing! Thanks to Great Britain for this! a memory for life! God bless her majestys servants for givit it o the rest of the world! God bless

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 13, 2012 00:08

Everyone is a winner at the Olympics. All nations come together to compete, laugh a little, and cry a little. It's a game for the people not the politicians.

It is kind of sad as the games come to a close. But always looking forward to the next 4 years.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 13, 2012 00:16

next

HMN

Date: August 13, 2012 00:24

Honestman
next

uuuuuuUUUUUU ahhhhhhhthumbs up smileys with beer

Best part (for me).. same time zone.... no BS tape delays... there better not beangry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 00:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2012 01:01

ROCKMAN

Date: August 13, 2012 01:09

COINED -
"This sure beats fixing leaky toilets or digging a hole"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 26 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home