Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 39
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2009
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 9, 2009 04:52

Gazza
>10. Incident On 57th Street
11. Rosalita
12. New York City Serenade

Doesnt get any better than those three played back-to-back.
Agreed. But is their a worst transition than from NYCS into WOASD?confused smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 9, 2009 10:11

November 8, MSG, NYC

The entire The River is played on this show:

SETLIST
Wrecking Ball (with Curt Ramm)
The Ties That Bind
Sherry Darling
Jackson Cage
Two Hearts
Independence Day
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Crush on You
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
I Wanna Marry You
The River
Point Blank
Cadillac Ranch
I'm a Rocker (with Curt Ramm)
Fade Away
Stolen Car
Ramrod
The Price You Pay
Drive All Night
Wreck on the Highway
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Atlantic City
Badlands
Born to Run
Seven Nights to Rock
Sweet Soul Music (with Curt Ramm)
No Surrender
American Land (with Curt Ramm)
Dancing in the Dark
Can't Help Falling in Love
Higher and Higher

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2009 15:09

sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
11. Rosalita

Agreed. But is their a worst transition than from NYCS into WOASD?confused smiley

After those three, he could have played 'Little Bo Peep' for all I'd have cared!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 9, 2009 16:47

Two amazing nights. Hope there are some well recorded boots around.

Date: November 9, 2009 17:23

Gazza
sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
11. Rosalita

After those three, he could have played 'Little Bo Peep' for all I'd have cared!
LOL Gazza. Too true. Just reading the setlist from last night. All the songs from The River. Man talk about your emtional high's and lows. From the fun rockers to emotional ballads. By the time he got to Wreck on the Highway. I would have been an emotional wreck myself.

Date: November 9, 2009 19:59

which is pretty much how Logie described the experience when he texted me this afternoon, although I'll leave the in depth review to him when he gets home.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: November 9, 2009 22:19

What Is The Best Recording From This Tour So Far

Date: November 9, 2009 22:37

CrazyDadda
What Is The Best Recording From This Tour So Far

LA and Crystal Cat's Dusseldorf are the best I've heard.

Date: November 10, 2009 00:49

Some amazing multi-cam footage from Saturday & Sunday at MSG

SATURDAY :

SUNDAY :

full shows will be available soon, no doubt.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 10, 2009 01:32

Audio bootlegs are already available here!!!

[btxmp3index.freeforums.org]

(just scrool down near the end to find both MSG's shows)

Date: November 10, 2009 02:03

They're lossy versions of the ones that were posted as bit torrents on Jungleland and dime earlier, in case anyone is looking for the lossless versions.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: November 10, 2009 05:01

Just WOW!!!!Amazing videos!!!!Hope The E steet band won't be on hiatus for too long after this tour's over

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: November 10, 2009 05:31

stones_serb
Just WOW!!!!Amazing videos!!!!Hope The E steet band won't be on hiatus for too long after this tour's over

I get the feeling Bruce will be back on the road again very soon. It intrigues me that he might be becoming like Dylan, whom I (purely) speculate stays on the road so much because that's what "Bob Dylan" does. I imagine Bruce is kinda like that now, too. If he wasn't performing... what would he do?

And no, I don't know him, I don't know what he thinks about. I'm just guessing.

Date: November 11, 2009 06:12

Cleveland 11/10

8:20
no patti, max on drums

1. Wrecking Ball ("where Lebron plays the game")
2. Prove It All Night
3. Hungry Heart
4. Working On A Dream
5. Thunder Road
6. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
7. Night
8. Backstreets (w/ Interlude)
9. Born To Run
10. She's The One
11. Meeting Across The River
12. Jungleland
13. Waitin On A Sunny Day
14. Raise Your Hand~sign collecting
15. Red Headed Woman (sign)
16. Pink Cadillac (sign)
17. Back In Your Arms (sign) (w/ long intro)
18. Radio Nowhere (sign)
19. Lonesome Day
20. The Rising
21. Badlands
~PSA~
22. No Surrender
23. Bobby Jean
24. American Land ("you've just seen the last of...for a litte while...")
25. Dancing In The Dark
26. Can't Help Falling In Love
27. Higher And Higher (w/ backups taking verses)
28. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Date: November 14, 2009 06:28

Detroit 11/13

8:14 Lights Out(No Patti)

1. Wrecking Ball
2. Prove It All Night
3. Johnny 99
4. Hungry Heart
5. Working on A Dream
6. Thunder Road
7. 10th Ave. Freeze Out
8. Night
9. Backstreets
10. Born To Run
11. She's the One
12. Meeting Across the River
13. Jungleland
14. Working on the Highway
15. Raise Your Hand
16. RAMBLIN' GAMBLIN' MAN
17. Detroit Medley
18. Because the Night
19. Lonesome Day
20. The Rising
21. Badlands
22. Hard Times(Come Again No More)
23. Born in the USA
24. American Land
25. Dancing in the Dark
26. Rosalita
27. Higher and Higher

11:04 Lights Up, Walking Off

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 14, 2009 16:27

Source: Backstreets.com

Michigan, on the other hand, is a big state with no history of being someone else's suburb; Bruce has played here at least once every year since 2002. Imagine, then, Bruce coming onstage and greeting the crowd with a salute to Ohio! And then sticking Ohio in to the lyrics of "Wrecking Ball" — of course, a Michigan audience tends not to object too much to lines such as, "tonight Ohio is going down in flames." Finally, Bruce put Ohio into the rap for "Working on a Dream." This last actually managed to get a few boos, and prompted Stevie to inform Bruce that they were, in fact, in Michigan. Bruce took it well, and periodically shouted out, "Where am I?" throughout the evening after that to get a rousing Detroit answer.

Of course, this has happened to many artists ranging from comedy to music. However, U of Michigan fans may have problems with mistake.cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-14 16:54 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 15, 2009 23:01

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN:

I have no doubts whatsoever, that had Springsteen revealed the content of these two MSG shows a few weeks’ earlier, divorce courts all over the world would have witnessed a sudden, dramatic surge in activity as Boss fans – many here, including Gazza – gambled the future of their marriages (not to mention a considerable portion of their life savings) in return for the gig of a lifetime. It was probably a blessing therefore, that Bruce’s announcement that he would perform both The Wild , The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle and The River in their entirety, was left until just a few days before the actual gigs themselves, not least of all, in the Gazza household.

Somewhat fittingly, it was the aforementioned who broke the news to me about these gigs via text as I was tucking into a veggie burger in the Hard Rock Café on Tuesday night; and naturally, I thought he was winding me up.

I mean, surely, it was beyond the realms of possibility for Bruce to attempt an entire performance of an album as complex, non-commercial and relatively unsuccessful as E-Street.

Probably like all other Bruce followers back in the late seventies, I felt like I was the only person in the UK who actually owned a copy of this album, such was the scarcity of Springsteen fans at that time. Admittedly, I didn’t get hold of my copy until after I’d bought Born To Run, Darkness and the two essential triple album boots from the 1978 tour (all within a mind-blowing three-week period), but when I did finally get round to dropping the needle down on to that magical piece of vinyl, I found that it was a far different sounding Springsteen from that from which I’d recently been bowled over by. There was no moodiness, no wall of sound, no songs about having to escape to anywhere, and basically, sod all about cars.

In fact, it was so far detached and unrecognisable from his newer sound that I couldn’t help but get the impression that he had deliberately “moved on “ from this particular phase in his development, and that it was perhaps a mere stepping-stone towards greater, more spectacular things.

Not that it stopped me from playing the album; though when I did, I couldn’t help but get the impression that I was perhaps the only person on the planet doing so; all of which made it such a seemingly personal experience.

Telling Gazza to sod off and to stop winding me up (or words to that affect), seemed therefore, to be an entirely appropriate response; that is until the following morning, by when I had received a bombardment of texts from Boss fans everywhere, confirming the news.

Interestingly, on the day before the first gig, representatives of Badlands, the UK’s Springsteen tour operator, described an incredible, frantic surge of activity on Wednesday morning from fans wishing to attempt a last minute dash to New York, some of whom actually managed it.

The first signs that these were to be meticulously planned gigs, came by way of the printed setlists that were in place a good hour or so before each of the performances; there was none of the usual last-minute rushing around by roadies with walkie-talkies and black tape in their hands. Perhaps the addition of a string section and horns for the first night, not to mention the complexity of the arrangements, necessitated a tighter, more professional feel to the proceedings, and to this end, Bruce appeared to be almost nervous and very conscious of getting it exactly right.

He did, brilliantly.

In fact, the entire band delivered an almost faultless performance of E-Street which, while managing to be faithful to the original in terms of production quality was, incredibly, brought more alive by Bruce himself, by way of an utterly brilliant performance that resonated feeling, emphasis and passion throughout. Admittedly, I’ve heard Rosalita performed many times over the years, as well as the occasional outing for the likes of Kitty’s Back, Sandy and Incident, but never within the context in which they were meant to be heard.

New York Serenade was simply stunning, beyond words, and this incredibly emotional closing song was followed, not by the usual rock concert hollering and cheering, but by an appreciative, rapturous, moving reception from a stunned audience, all of whom, must have felt as privileged and humbled as I did, to have witnessed something of such epic proportions.

Again, with one eye on getting everything precisely correct, the remainder of Bruce’s set was an abject lesson in managing to raise the roof after the Lord Mayor’s show, which he achieved brilliantly by way of a volley of mainly high impact, foot-stomping, show stoppers; even drawing upon the audience’s still-euphoric reaction to that week’s New York Yankees’s victory. For me personally however, Does This Bus Stop (as a request), was a personal highlight, as was Human Touch (with Pattie making a rare appearance). There was also an incredible version of Higher & Higher, performed with special guest Elvis Costello, and exploiting the wonderful horn section

If The River was Bruce’s first genuine attempt at providing some material that could be commercial enough to sound good on the radio, then he certainly succeeded with Hungry Heart. It’s never been one of my own personal favourites, but the audience’s reaction to it on the first night provided an early indication that out of the two albums that Springsteen was to perform on this weekend of all weekends, it was Bruce circa 1980 that most were looking forward to witnessing.

The River is basically, a roller-coaster of different themes, feelings and emotions, and I half expected Bruce to compromise with the album’s running order so as to cope with the many mood swings that the listener is confronted with. As such, I feared that the likes of Crush On You, I’m A Rocker and Cadillac Ranch would have had a detrimental affect upon the manner in which the audience would greet Stolen Car and Drive All Night.

Thankfully, I was wrong; and with only a few exceptions, the crowd were as immaculately behaved as they were in Manchester back in 1981 when I first saw Bruce perform this album before a small theatre audience of just 2000.

Before Sunday’s show, I remembered how, back then, I had never before, cried and laughed in equal measures throughout almost the entire four-hour performance, and wondered if it would be the same all over again.

It was; and looking around me, I was certainly not alone in allowing my emotions to get the better of me, such was the intensity of the performance. Again, credit must be afforded to the E-Street Band, especially Clarence, who probably performed more sax solos in one single night than he has ever done throughout his entire career. He was absolutely amazing; and what an absolute farce that these guys were not inducted into the Rock n’ Roll Hall Of Fame alongside Bruce!

I always thought that the album itself suffered from a very poor production, even in spite of the deliberate “live” feel that Bruce was attempting to achieve with it. Drive All Night suffered in particular, with comparatively little of the irony or tension coming across on record as it did when I witnessed it in a rare outing in Birmingham in 1981.

For all the right reasons it was absolutely magical at MSG with Springsteen delivering a performance as brilliantly compelling as any that I have ever seen from him. Ditto with Stolen Car in which he delivered the line, “…but I never do” with such chilling resignation.

The reception for the album, like with the previous evening, was one of astonishment and disbelief from a stunned, appreciative audience that had been well and truly bowled over by something that they had previously never even dared dream about.

The run-in was a magical tour de force that included as good a version of Atlantic City that you’re ever likely to hear, along with a beautiful I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You; a somewhat quieter conclusion to the evening after a prolonged spell during which the building was literally rocked to its foundations.

Both nights worked on every conceivable count, with seemingly everything coming together at once to create something that will forever live on in the memories of those who were there, and, hopefully, for those who may one day get to see this on DVD.

Bruce got it right, and so did his band; so too, did the backing vocalists, whose role might hitherto have been described as perfunctory. They played an important part throughout both nights.

Interestingly enough, we sat next to Kahoosier and Beast throughout the second show in fantastic seats that we did NOT have tickets for! I can recall the latter being less than overwhelmed when I saw her immediately after the Boss’s London O2 show a couple of years’ back. This time, she saw the real Bruce, and needless to say, I think he appeared to have broken through the hard exterior of this particular heart of stone.

For just two nights, Bruce had taken us all back to a time when stadium rock didn’t exist; a time when audiences could be won over by the subtlety and nuances of quieter songs; a time when audiences would come along to actually listen to the music as well as dance to it; and crucially, a time when it wasn’t all about squeezing every last single penny out of your fans.

Comparing then with now would bring tears to anyone's eyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-16 01:14 by LOGIE.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 15, 2009 23:22

Hi Logie,

That's just beautiful.
How I wish,how I wish I was there...hugely chuffed for you and the other 19,000 lucky sods!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: November 15, 2009 23:28

Logie

One aspect of your review proved moving is the fact that Kahoosier was there. He is a true gentleman whom I met in Miami prior to the Stones ABB concert. Kahoosier hasn't posted in awhile and I'm simply glad to know he is alive and doing ok. His girlfriends/family are nice folks as well. Nice review. Thanks.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 16, 2009 00:59

Many thanks to you both!

Incidentally, Kahoosier, despite having not slept in 36 hours, was in great form when we met up after the Light Of Day concert for a few drinks. He and Beast were attending a Bill German seminar on the Saturday night prior to the second of Springsteen's two shows. At MSG, he danced his feet off!

I told him that if he didn't start posting again, I'd come looking for him!

Needless to say, he didn't look scared.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:26

[new.music.yahoo.com]

I guess this happens to the best of 'em

Date: November 16, 2009 01:36

Great review Logie. Been looking forward to hear what you had to say about these shows. Pretty much the consensus from everything I've heard so far. Count me as one of those who would have looked foward more to The River. So great to hear he pulled it off.....What's he going to for an encore (or finale)? How about all of Greetings From Asbury Park in Buffalo at the last show of the tour. No doubt that will be yet another in a long line of epic Boss performances.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: November 16, 2009 01:37

Great review, Logie. Well worth the wait. I knew youd run into Beast (didnt know she had got Bruce tickets, but glad she appreciated the show) but I'd no idea that 'Dr Steve' (copyright, Paulywaul) was in town as well!

And just to add another bit of news - its just been announced on the official site that the tour finale in Buffalo next weekend will have a special treat...

BUFFALO SHOW TO FEATURE GREETINGS FROM ASBURY PARK, N.J.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will perform the album Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. during their concert in Buffalo, NY, on November 22, the final date of their 2009 'Working on a Dream' tour. Released in January, 1973, 'Greetings' marked Springsteen's debut as a recording artist; it is the first time this album will be performed in its entirety. Bruce and the band have performed the albums 'The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle', 'Born to Run', 'Darkness on the Edge of Town', 'The River' and 'Born in the USA' during their fall tour.

Date: November 16, 2009 10:34

Gazza
Great review, Logie. Well worth the wait. I knew youd run into Beast (didnt know she had got Bruce tickets, but glad she appreciated the show) but I'd no idea that 'Dr Steve' (copyright, Paulywaul) was in town as well!

And just to add another bit of news - its just been announced on the official site that the tour finale in Buffalo next weekend will have a special treat...

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will perform the album Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. during their concert in Buffalo, NY, on November 22, the final date of their 2009 'Working on a Dream' tour. Released in January, 1973, 'Greetings' marked Springsteen's debut as a recording artist; it is the first time this album will be performed in its entirety. Bruce and the band have performed the albums 'The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle', 'Born to Run', 'Darkness on the Edge of Town', 'The River' and 'Born in the USA' during their fall tour.

This could be symbolic - playing all the "real/classic" E Street Band albums (Tunnel of Love wasn't a proper ESB album), as a way of bringing the curtain down on the band. Ending with the album that started it ...

Or not.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: November 16, 2009 16:45

not

Date: November 16, 2009 17:31

Nikolai
Gazza

This could be symbolic - playing all the "real/classic" E Street Band albums (Tunnel of Love wasn't a proper ESB album), as a way of bringing the curtain down on the band. Ending with the album that started it ...

Or not.
I kind of thought the same thing. But, I certainly hope not.

Date: November 16, 2009 17:32

Milwaukee 11/15

8:18 Lights Out (Max on Drums, No Patti)

1. Cadillac Ranch
2. Badlands
3. Hungry Heart(Crowd Surfing)
4. Working On A Dream("Good evening Ohio")
5. Thunder Road
6. 10th Avenue Freezeout
7. Night
8. Backstreets
9. Born To Run
10. She's The One
11. Meeting Across The River
12. Jungleland
13. Darlington County
14. Waiting On A Sunny Day(10 y/o sings, and asks for/recieves drum stick)
15. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Request)
16. Loose Ends (Request) "I get it- are you loose?"
17. Jole Blon (Request)
18. Growin Up (Request)
19. Into The Fire
20. The Rising
21. No Surrender

22. LIVING PROOF(sign)
23. Kitty's Back
24. American Land
25. Dancing In The Dark
26. Rosalita
27. Higher And Higher

Date: November 16, 2009 17:38

SCL

Living Proof is a great song. Hopefully, it will be posted on You Tube. Also, Better Days would be a great fan request.

Date: November 16, 2009 17:39

Chris Fountain
SCL

Living Proof is a great song. Hopefully, it will be posted on You Tube. Also, Better Days would be a great fan request.
Well since you mentioned it. Courtesy of Party Doll Meg on Rocks Off:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-16 17:40 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 17:43

Great review Loggie, thank you for that. Do I understand correctly that those shows were filmed? How I wish to see it on DVD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 39

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home