Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839Next
Current Page: 34 of 39
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2009
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 7, 2009 23:44

R

If there were no lectures on the last tour it's because the damage had already been done. The "Living In A Dream" fiasco merely compounded it. Five "sellouts' out of how many shows (despite the full album gimmick)? Too many for me to bother counting.

How much of that $1 billion is he going to give to the down and out? How much for additional thoroughbred horses and vintage Corvettes?

There were 6 on that list. 43 sell outs in all, actuellement. Bully for you if you consider 10,000 unsold tickets out of 270,000 at one venue a 'fiasco'. eye rolling smiley

It still hurts, doesnt it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-08 00:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: December 8, 2009 18:36

sweetcharmedlife
Dear Doctor
why not go to a springsteen board then pollute this site with 33 pages of crap

the guy is a putz

real stones fans don't give a shit about this clown
Their would'nt be 33 pages if real Rolling Stones fans didn't give a crap. In fact their have been more posts on this thread than you have made in 5 years. So what wou--ld you know about real Rolling Stones fans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

33 pages of crap
brings down the value of any stones board,
I am a real stones fan. realer than you would ever know
I know the stones have no equal and springsteen is garbage, simple as that ,deal with it and go worship your cop basher on a springsteen site.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 8, 2009 20:25

Cop basher?!?!? Because 41 shots were ever needed to kill anyone?!?!?!?

Date: December 8, 2009 20:25

Cop basher?!?!? Because 41 shots were ever needed to kill anyone?!?!?!? Come on are you serious????

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 11, 2009 17:46

LOGIE
R

Five "sellouts' out of how many shows (despite the full album gimmick)? Too many for me to bother counting.

How much of that $1 billion is he going to give to the down and out? How much for additional thoroughbred horses and vintage Corvettes?

Two questions:

1) When did the Stones last sell out a stadium?
2) Why should Bruce just dole money to the "down and out" when there are obviously better ways of acheiving social justice?

1) Except for New Jersey, Bruce has been playing exclusively arenas in the States for years, most of them in the 18,000 seat range and most of those in the same markets. He can only sell stadium shows in Europe where people still buy into his bullsh*t.
2) Bruce has a big mouth. Why not put his big money where his big mouth is? Show all us "ignorant haters" how it's done. You know, demonstrate he isn't just all sanctimonious blather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 19:47 by R.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 11, 2009 19:15

Dear Doctor
sweetcharmedlife
Dear Doctor

the guy is a putz

Their would'nt be 33 pages if real Rolling Stones fans didn't give a crap. In fact their have been more posts on this thread than you have made in 5 years. So what wou--ld you know about real Rolling Stones fans.

33 pages of crap
I know the stones have no equal and springsteen is garbage, simple as that ,deal with it and go worship your cop basher on a springsteen site.

Oh help me, Dear Doctor is brain damaged
There's an arse where there once was a brain
It's fartin', it's a stinkin'
Can't ya please tear it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

Date: December 11, 2009 19:29

R
LOGIE
R

Five "sellouts' out of how many shows (despite the full album gimmick)? Too many for me to bother counting.

Two questions:

2) Why should Bruce just dole money to the "down and out" when there are obviously better ways of acheiving social justice?

1) Bruce has been playing exclusively arenas in the States for years, most of them in the 18,000 seat range and most of those in the same markets. He can only sell stadium shows in Europe where people still buy into his bullsh*t.
2) Bruce has a big mouth. Why not put his big money where his big mouth is? Show all us "ignorant haters" how it's done. You know, demonstrate he isn't just all sanctimonious blather.

1). Yeah, you're right, R. We're all really thick in Europe. We'll fall for any old crap.

2). Yeah, sure, right again R (is R short for "Right" by the way?) Bruce is just a rich man in a poor man's shirt, like eating caviar and dirt. I personally think he should give away all his money and move back to a bedsit in New Jersey and start again. Not from Greetings, but from The Castilles years. I think he really sold out after The Castilles. He had more integrity then.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 11, 2009 19:51

Nikolai
I think he really sold out after The Castilles. He had more integrity then.

The abortive "Working On A Dream" album relegated any integrity Bruce ever had into the dustbin. Artistic integrity anyway.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 11, 2009 20:39

R
LOGIE
R

Two questions:

1) Except for New Jersey, Bruce has been playing exclusively arenas in the States for years, most of them in the 18,000 seat range and most of those in the same markets. He can only sell stadium shows in Europe where people still buy into his bullsh*t.

Perhaps I should have rephrased the first question as, "When was the last time the Stones sold out even HALF of a stadium?".

As for the second point, you wouldn't by any chance be talking about the "Let's drink to the hard-working people" bollocks would you? But then I've just remembered the Nicaraguan Earthquake "gesture".

And as for record sales....!!!

Date: December 11, 2009 21:16

R
Nikolai
I think he really sold out after The Castilles. He had more integrity then.

The abortive "Working On A Dream" album relegated any integrity Bruce ever had into the dustbin. Artistic integrity anyway.

I agree with you there, kinda. It had a few good songs on it - Outlaw Pete, the title track, the Last Carnival (spooky as hell), and you can't mess with The Wrestler, although it wasn't part of the album proper. (In fact, I wish Bruce would write more for films, because all the songs he's written for films have been oustanding - he really digs deep and comes up with a song that's sometimes better than the film itself).

BUT ... I think the album as a whole is the worst thing he's put out with the E Street Band - possibly his worst ever. I used to think Human Touch was the nadir, but he found a way to the basement of rock bottom with Working on a Dream. Surprise, Surprise ... ah grim. Yet, it's not a quality wipeout.

But to dismiss Bruce on the strength of one dodgy album, when he's put out so many outstanding ones (as recently as 2005, with Devils & Dust), or 'merely' very good ones ('Magic' was a grower for me - but what a dark, troubled, low key masterpiece that proved to be) is - with all respect - unbelievably blinkered. If you don't like Bruce, fine. he's not for everyone. You either get him or you don't. No worries.

How much dodgy shite have The Stones put out? Dirty Work, Bridges to Babylon, Emotional Rescue, A Bigger Load of Crap Than The Last One. We're all still here, right?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 11, 2009 21:59

Dear Doctor
sweetcharmedlife
Dear Doctor

the guy is a putz

33 pages of crap
I could respond with something rude like "Go shove your head up your ass you worthless piece of shit". But I won't. I'll take the high road. The reason that their is now 34 pages of a Springsteen thread on a Rolling Stones board is that their are many open minded people who can enjoy 2 very fine bands. I don't know what the Stones think about Springsteen,but he has always paid his respects to them. Doing several Stones covers in concert over the years. As I traveled across the country the last couple of years following the Magic and WOAD tours. I met a lot of fans. More than a few who were both Stones and Springsteen fans. Unlike Tiger Woods it's quite allright to have many Rock & Roll loves.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 11, 2009 22:11

Bruce certainly should look up to the Stones and pay respect. He knows.

Date: December 11, 2009 22:14

MKjan

It's called class.You should try it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 11, 2009 22:17

sweetcharmedlife
MKjan

I'm in full agreement with Bruce here, and this about class??

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 11, 2009 23:07

MKjan
sweetcharmedlife
MKjan

I'm in full agreement with Bruce here, and this about class??

As opposed to classless.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: December 11, 2009 23:37

I am a life long Stones fan first gig at Odeon Theatre Glasgow 1965 and I have been lucky to have witnessed all their concerts in Glasgow since then along with many others including Paris , Rotterdam & Las Vegas and of course their last performance at the O2.
I have seen Bruce & ESB several times over the past few years last gig was a few months ago September 12 in Tampa and I have got to say the same excitement and atmosphere prevails with both bands and audiences I just feel fortunate to follow the best two bands in the world . Now it seems that Bruce is miles ahead regarding performances and musicianship however the Stones on form are the only band that could come anywhere near Bruce & ESB .
Just love them both!!

Date: December 31, 2009 05:26

Forgot to mention it yesterday. But the Kennedy Center Honors show was aired last night. Here is the Bruce segment. In 3 parts.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 31, 2009 10:00

His last two CD's were OK. "The Rising" was a masterpiece IMO.
In concert- Long set lists that always change which I like. Great performer and great song writer. A legend.
On Halloween night in 1980 in Los Angeles, he played a 4 hrs. 20 min. show with a 20 min. intermission. Awesome.

Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen
Date: February 27, 2010 07:05

'CAUSE BABY I GOT PLENTY OF THAT...
Billboard revealed their 2010 Top 40 Money Makers list today, an annual ranking of music's highest earners. U2 far and away leads the pack, but Bruce is right there at #2, generating more than $57 million last year, ahead of Madonna, AC/DC, and Britney Spears in the top five (the figures include tour revenue, proceeds from CD and digital sales, and publishing royalties).

Of the Boss's performance, Billboard writes: "With a new studio album, a Walmart-exclusive hits compilation and a relentless touring schedule, Bruce Springsteen was at the top of his revenue-generating game in 2009. Springsteen's profile has never been higher, with added-value exposure from the Super Bowl halftime show, Kennedy Center Honors and even a run-in with Ticketmaster all keeping the Boss in the public eye. Springsteen was also a force at retail and on the digital sales front, with more than 2 million tracks downloaded. And since he writes all his own songs, publishing revenue stays at Camp Bruce. Remarkably, Springsteen Inc. is peaking more than 35 years after his debut album."
- February 26, 2010

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:46

Bruce is a great artist but R is right he has a big mouth and I wish he'd shut it and stick to music and 41 shots is a shitty song who wants to listen to it. Bruce is most likely correct on this one subject but he was not there and does not know all of the details and neither do we. Anyone out there who criticizes all polieman should go and try and do their job for a few days and put up with the crap that they do and then you might have a better perspective of it.

Date: February 27, 2010 18:49

You obviously didnt listen to the rest of the verses, I take it......eye rolling smiley

Far from 'criticising all policemen', hes actually done benefit shows for officers killed in the line of duty.

And if you admit that he was 'correct', then why complain about it and the fact that he 'wasnt there' ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 18:51 by Gazza.

Date: February 27, 2010 18:51

Gazza - You may have me because I really can't stand the song so I have not listened to it in quite a while.

Date: February 27, 2010 18:53

slew
Gazza - You may have me because I really can't stand the song so I have not listened to it in quite a while.

'41 shots' ISN'T an anti-police song. Most people who jump all over it only listen to the first verse (or parts of it). A bit like the people who only listened to the chorus of 'Born In the USA' and presumed it was some kind of flag-waving anthem, without listening to the verses.

Its certainly no more an anti-police song than the Stones' 'Heartbreaker' is. Which is something that no one seems to have a problem with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 20:28 by Gazza.

Date: February 27, 2010 18:56

I'll have to give it a listen again.

Date: February 27, 2010 20:25

The second verse balances the first verse.

As explained here :
[en.wikipedia.org])

The song appears to be an even-handed attempt to explain the tensions between police and minorities, as shown in the lyrics. Police can get shot for the uniform they wear; minorities can get shot for the color of their skin. The lyrics note that "we're baptized in these waters / and in each other's blood"

[www.springsteenlyrics.com]

Springsteen writes about AMERICAN SKIN in the new edition of his book Songs, "Though the song was critical, it was not 'anti-police' as some thought." As he also points out, the first verse is from the point of view of a police officer, "kneeling over his body in the vestibule, praying for his life." Rather than being an indictment of police, if the song points a finger at anyone, Springsteen suggests that it points at all US citizens, the singer included. "The idea was here," he writes: "Here is what systemic racial injustice, fear, and paranoia do to our children, our loved ones, ourselves. Here is the price in blood."

As a fan, I'd be a bit disappointed if he wrote a song making blanket condemnations of an organisation like the NYPD. The fact is that no matter how certain people like to dress it up as such a song, its clearly no such thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 20:30 by Gazza.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 27, 2010 20:32

Gazza
...A bit like the people who only listened to the chorus of 'Born In the USA' and presumed it was some kind of flag-waving anthem, without listening to the verses.

True. Just like Ronald Regan did :-)

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 27, 2010 22:50

R
LOGIE
R

Two questions:

More nonsensical right-wing psychosis. Doesn't matter what the topic is, or what messageboard it is, you right-wing borg types are all the same. Interchangeable Fox News/Drudge/Rove wind-up toys...

Just turn the handle and listen to the pre-canned talking points fly.

But of course you're right...Springsteen is a complete pariah in the USA...can barely fill arenas anymore...as long as that's what the Boss Limbaugh tells you to think, it's the truth.

That's why good old-fashioned conservative-values acts like Ted Nugent and the Charlie Daniels Band are selling out stadiums across this great country of ours, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 22:52 by keefriff99.

Date: March 1, 2010 08:42

keefriff999 - Like Keith Olberman, Rachel Maddow and Chris Mathews are any better????????? Extremism is bad wether its to the left or right most of the people end up hurting their cause when they take it to the extreme.

Date: March 1, 2010 15:32

Good Lord after 34 pages of Bruce discussions, it has finally sunk into political mud-slinging?!?!? WTF! I do hope everyone can cease and desist on this point, as I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this post over the last year or so as Bruce toured and was quite excited to see it brought back up again...

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: March 1, 2010 20:22

Gazza
Its certainly no more an anti-police song than the Stones' 'Heartbreaker' is. Which is something that no one seems to have a problem with.

That's totally correct.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839Next
Current Page: 34 of 39

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home