Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839Next
Current Page: 35 of 39
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 1, 2010 23:16

VoodooLounge13
Good Lord after 34 pages of Bruce discussions, it has finally sunk into political mud-slinging?!?!? WTF! I do hope everyone can cease and desist on this point, as I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this post over the last year or so as Bruce toured and was quite excited to see it brought back up again...
Yeah,the only reason I bumped it in the first place was to show the article that said Bruce was the #2 touring act last year. Not bad after 2 straight years of touring,he was still filling up shows and performing great.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 14:30

Say, Gazza, I just picked up a copy of Serve3 last week. It's a benefit album released by Hard Rock Cafe, and I'm wondering if you have the Bruce song that's on it, since you're such a huge Bruce fan...it's a Harry Chapin cover recorded live at a benefit concert for Harry in 1987, and the song is "Remember When The Music." I myself rather like the song on the few listens I've given it. Always love Bruce's tales.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2010 17:07

Yeah, its a good 'un. I have it on the 'Harry Chapin Tribute' CD that it first appeared on. Chapin was a great guy.

here's the video footage of it :

Date: March 21, 2010 15:21

CELEBRATE RECORD STORE DAY WITH A BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN SINGLE

Record stores across the U.S. are celebrating Record Store Day on April 17, with exclusive, collectible items from a broad range of artists, including Bruce Springsteen.

Columbia Records has produced a 10" vinyl single available only on Record Store Day:

Side A: "Wrecking Ball (Live at Giants Stadium)"
Side B: "The Ghost Of Tom Joad (Live Version featuring Tom Morello)"

Exclusively created for Record Store day, this limited edition 10" single features two great, rare live performances from 2009 and 2008. Both of these tracks have previously only been available digitally. Get your copy on Record Store Day which takes place on Saturday, April 17th.

This piece is strictly limited so contact the store in advance to make sure that they will have stock.

Check out Record Store Day to find your nearest participating store, and don't forget to visit on Saturday, April 17!

Visit brucespringsteen.net for the latest Bruce Springsteen news!

Date: March 21, 2010 21:12

35 pages of shite....

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 22, 2010 01:06

its good to be anywhere
35 pages of shite....

Thank you for your fruitful input. Now be anywhere but not here, could you?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 22, 2010 01:22

its good to be anywhere
35 pages of shite....

Another attention seeking moron-troll whose mummy and daddy didn't pay enough attention to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 11:02 by Nikolai.

Date: March 22, 2010 14:20

Did anyone get the record day link to work, as I could not......

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 22, 2010 14:31

sweetcharmedlife

Yeah,the only reason I bumped it in the first place was to show the article that said Bruce was the #2 touring act last year. Not bad after 2 straight years of touring,he was still filling up shows and performing great.

Of course he had to resort to flogging thirty-plus year old albums to fill seats. This after the 'brilliant' "Living On Dream" tanked.

Sprinsteen is a sterling example of a musician whose artistic relevance wanes in direct proportion to their political activism. For further examples see Mellisa Etheridge, Sheryl Crowe, Jackson Brown and John Mellencamp.

Date: March 22, 2010 14:51

New page, Same old bullshit lies that have already been ripped apart countless times in this thread.

A bit of advice, if you're going to slag off five artists and one album in the same post, getting every one of their names wrong (apart from Mellencamp, bizarrely enough) diminishes the strength of your argument slightly....

28th biggest selling album in the world in 2009, incidentally - in a year in which Michael Jackson's death put HIS sales through the roof. Hardly a 'tanking'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 14:58 by Gazza.

Date: March 22, 2010 16:33

R
sweetcharmedlife

Of course he had to resort to flogging thirty-plus year old albums to fill seats. This after the 'brilliant' "Living On Dream" tanked.

Sprinsteen is a sterling example of a musician whose artistic relevance wanes in direct proportion to their political activism. For further examples see Mellisa Etheridge, Sheryl Crowe, Jackson Brown and John Mellencamp.
Flogging 30 plus year old albums? Look at the number of people on here who want the Stones to play all of Exile live. Do you think if the Stones decided to flog their 30 yr old plus albums in their entirety,people would object? Problem is the Stones don't have the chops to pull it off like the E Street band does.

Date: March 22, 2010 17:16

Gazza
New page, Same old bullshit lies that have already been ripped apart countless times in this thread.

28th biggest selling album in the world in 2009, incidentally - in a year in which Michael Jackson's death put HIS sales through the roof. Hardly a 'tanking'.

By the time the tour was in its last three months Comrade Springsteen was PROMOTING the antique albums that would be played in their entirety. This in order to sell tickets while songs from the horrible "Living In A Dream" (by any reasonable estimate) were dropped to more than 2-3 a night, if that. WHY was "LIAD" so god awful and the one before it so marginal? Easy. As his political activism took center stage, his art suffered. THAT is inarguable. Or perhaps you liked "Queen of The Supermarket."

Date: March 22, 2010 17:26

I myself actually did like that particular song......

Date: March 22, 2010 17:49

R
Gazza

By the time the tour was in its last three months Comrade Springsteen was PROMOTING the antique albums that would be played in their entirety. This in order to sell tickets while songs from the horrible "Living In A Dream" (by any reasonable estimate) were dropped to more than 2-3 a night, if that. WHY was "LIAD" so god awful and the one before it so marginal? Easy. As his political activism took center stage, his art suffered. THAT is inarguable. Or perhaps you liked "Queen of The Supermarket."

You wouldnt know 'art' if it bit you on the ass. Alot of the songs werent really suited to live performance anyway, and whats wrong with playing old albums - even at shows which had already sold out as well as ones that hadnt. So bloody what? How many songs were the Stones playing for ABB on their last tour? I was at a show in Madrid where they didnt play a single one.

Any criticism on the anti-right rantings of 'Comrade' Jagger on two songs on the last Stones album - or was your copy provided by Fox News in a version which had those songs miraculously edited out?

Its been pointed out to you several times on this thread that there was no 'political activism' on the last tour at all. By people who were actually AT the bloody shows and witnessed it instead of relying on tedious bigotted parrots like yourself spouting the same crap and lies ad nauseam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 17:59 by Gazza.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: March 22, 2010 19:53

Strange - I own ALL Springsteen albums, but I've never heard of "Living In A Dream" (or "Living On Dream", for that matter)...

Date: March 22, 2010 21:16

Gazza
R
Gazza

You wouldnt know 'art' if it bit you on the ass. Alot of the songs werent really suited to live performance anyway, and whats wrong with playing old albums - even at shows which had already sold out as well as ones that hadnt. So bloody what? How many songs were the Stones playing for ABB on their last tour? I was at a show in Madrid where they didnt play a single one.

Any criticism on the anti-right rantings of 'Comrade' Jagger on two songs on the last Stones album - or was your copy provided by Fox News in a version which had those songs miraculously edited out?

Its been pointed out to you several times on this thread that there was no 'political activism' on the last tour at all. By people who were actually AT the bloody shows and witnessed it instead of relying on tedious bigotted parrots like yourself spouting the same crap and lies ad nauseam.

My, my we seemed to have touched a nerve.

Artists tour in support of their newest record. That's what they do. That's why the last Springsteen tour was called the "Working On A Dream" tour. As the tour progressed as many as a half dozen songs from said album were played nightly. Eventually that number dwindled to one or two as sales of "Working On A Dream" plummeted faster than any previous Springsteen album and people at the shows preferred the restroom or beer stand to "Surprise, Surprise."

There was no "political activism" on the last tour other than a brief nightly lecture and a nauseating version of Stephen Foster's "Hard Times" retro-fitted for the 'unjust and unequal world in which we live." However, as far as Springsteen's artistic muse is concerned the damage had already been done. It waned in direct correlation to his greater emphasis on political causes in the last decade. As a result "Devils & Dust" walked the edge, the stop-gap "The Seeger Sessions" was the work of an artist at a total loss, "Magic" was marginal at best and "WOAD" was an embarrassment.

I suppose it's entirely a coincidence that Springsteen began promoting the full album gimmick well in advance of shows at the same time "Working On A Dream" was dissapearing into the ether.

BTW, you didn't mention if you liked "Queen of The Supermarket."

Date: March 22, 2010 22:51

Its ok. There are songs on the record I like less, actually. 'Surprise Surprise' is shite.

For a guy who cant stand Springsteen you really do have an utter obsession. Your opinion on his music is just that - opinion. It means nothing. Only an idiot would expect anti-commercial moves (or 'vanity projects') like D & D or The Seeger Sessions to be mega-sellers. I doubt he gave a shit from the off. Some of his fans liked 'em, some didn't. Who cares? He's in a position where he doesnt need to whore himself as much as many acts to make himself a lot of money or increase sales. His record deal actually makes allowances for such side projects. Three incredibly diverse albums and tours in the space of three years. That showed an artist still making the effort and not coasting. If the last part of the WOAD tour saw a bit more looking back, I think he earned it.

Any artist, regardless of their leanings, actually deserves a bit of credit IMO for following their muse or speaking out for what they believe in, even if it costs them record sales. What his opinions happen to be (unless they're preaching hate or intolerance) are irrelevant to me, personally. What part of that do YOU have a problem with? Is it lonely on the Toby Keith and Ted Nugent boards today or something?

In your world view, it appears that maximising profits is the be-all and end-all of everything, as you seem to view anyone who earns less than you as a peasant or an inferior human being. Thats your problem, not mine.

BTW, you still havent addressed the hypocrisy of bashing one artist for daring to express an opinion about the country he happens to live in - whilst ignoring the far more strident views expressed in the lyrics of a foreign artist on the policy of the same government.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 22:57 by Gazza.

Date: April 5, 2010 19:21

Hey Gazza,
Do you own or know anything about this CD? Never seen it before so I wanted to verify it's an official release. Any info would be great.
thanks
VL13

Bruce Spingsteen & The E Street Band - PBS Exclusive Rare Promotional CD

Up for sale is a rare Bruce Springsteen CD from 2005 which features 7 songs, including "She's The One" and "Born To Run" previously unreleased on CD. The disc and sleeve are in nice shape. See track listing below. We ship next business day.

Check out my other items!

Track listing:

1. She's The One (from Live In Barcelona)

2. Born To Run (from Live In Barcelona)

3. Thunder Road (from Live 1975-85)

4. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (from Live In New York City)

5. Spirit In The Night (from Live 1975-85)

6. Backstreets (from Live 1975-85)

7. Jungleland (from Live In New York City)

Date: April 5, 2010 23:03

havent seen that one before (although tbh promos arent something I keep a track of). He has however had a couple of PBS-exclusive promo CDs in recent years so it may well indeed be genuine enough.

I think that there's someone who posts on this thread (OhNoNotMeAgain, I believe) who has a website devoted to this kind of thing. I lost the bookmark when my pc crashed last summer, so maybe he'll post a link for it.

Date: April 6, 2010 00:39

Gazza
Its ok. There are songs on the record I like less, actually. 'Surprise Surprise' is shite.

For a guy who cant stand Springsteen you really do have an utter obsession. Your opinion on his music is just that - opinion. It means nothing. Only an idiot would expect anti-commercial moves (or 'vanity projects') like D & D or The Seeger Sessions to be mega-sellers. I doubt he gave a shit from the off. Some of his fans liked 'em, some didn't. Who cares? He's in a position where he doesnt need to whore himself as much as many acts to make himself a lot of money or increase sales. His record deal actually makes allowances for such side projects. Three incredibly diverse albums and tours in the space of three years. That showed an artist still making the effort and not coasting. If the last part of the WOAD tour saw a bit more looking back, I think he earned it.

Any artist, regardless of their leanings, actually deserves a bit of credit IMO for following their muse or speaking out for what they believe in, even if it costs them record sales. What his opinions happen to be (unless they're preaching hate or intolerance) are irrelevant to me, personally. What part of that do YOU have a problem with? Is it lonely on the Toby Keith and Ted Nugent boards today or something?

In your world view, it appears that maximising profits is the be-all and end-all of everything, as you seem to view anyone who earns less than you as a peasant or an inferior human being. Thats your problem, not mine.

BTW, you still havent addressed the hypocrisy of bashing one artist for daring to express an opinion about the country he happens to live in - whilst ignoring the far more strident views expressed in the lyrics of a foreign artist on the policy of the same government.

I don't like WOAD either. God knows I've listened to it enough times (omitting Surprise Surprise), because I didn't care for Magic at first. (That has long since grown on me, to the point where I now prefer it to The Rising)

There is some great stuff on WOAD - Outlaw Pete, the title track, The Last Carnival (and The Wrestler, but that's an add-on) - but Queen of the Supermarket is another atrocity. He must have known the album was a stinker because he barely played any of it on the tour. When he took Magic on the road at least half the album was aired. I think, on average, three or four songs got played on the US leg, and then those dropped to two once he hit Europe.

Have you read Clarence's book, Gazza?

Date: April 6, 2010 02:08

Yeah. Got a signed copy. Its a bit lightweight, to be honest, but has its moments.

Date: April 6, 2010 04:19

Nikolai
Gazza

I don't like WOAD either. God knows I've listened to it enough times (omitting Surprise Surprise), because I didn't care for Magic at first. (That has long since grown on me, to the point where I now prefer it to The Rising)

There is some great stuff on WOAD - Outlaw Pete, the title track, The Last Carnival (and The Wrestler, but that's an add-on) - but Queen of the Supermarket is another atrocity. He must have known the album was a stinker because he barely played any of it on the tour. When he took Magic on the road at least half the album was aired. I think, on average, three or four songs got played on the US leg, and then those dropped to two once he hit Europe.

if you look he basically played at least every tune from WOAD at least once but yes that album is a stinker and may stop me from buying future springsteen albums
here were the WOAD song stats from the last tour:
WORKING ON A DREAM (2009) (10/13)
Outlaw Pete 72
My Lucky Day 21
Working On A Dream 84
Queen Of The Supermarket 1
What Love Can Do 1
This Life 3
Good Eye 3
Kingdom Of Days 32
Surprise Surprise 7
The Wrestler 21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-06 04:22 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: April 6, 2010 05:56

I don't know why he didn't play My Lucky Day more. It was the best song on the album. What Love Can Do would been nice a few more times as well. But I heard about 6 of those tunes live in 5 shows on the last tour. Other than Good Eye. They all sounded pretty decent live.

Date: April 6, 2010 10:40

keefriffhard4life
Nikolai
Gazza

if you look he basically played at least every tune from WOAD at least once but yes that album is a stinker and may stop me from buying future springsteen albums
Outlaw Pete 72
My Lucky Day 21
Working On A Dream 84
What Love Can Do 1
This Life 3
Good Eye 3
Kingdom Of Days 32
Surprise Surprise 7
The Wrestler 21

Bit of an extreme reaction, Keef - it's only ONE bad album, and his first stinker since Human Touch.

Thanks for the stats though - bears out what I was saying about the album barely getting an airing. Look out how many times he played our 'favourites' - Surprise, Surprise and Queen of Walmart?

I was a bit surprised (surprised) he didn't do Last Carnival.

Date: April 6, 2010 10:47

Gazza
Yeah. Got a signed copy. Its a bit lightweight, to be honest, but has its moments.

Same here with the signed copy. I thought the book stank, personally. Zero insight into Bruce - or anyone, including Clarence himself (unless you catch the whiff of self-loathing off him). And the chapter where he meets Sinatra is plain embarrassing - says he's a big fan, but knows nothing whatsoever about his music and spends his whole time kissing his arse in the most toe curling manner.

I got the impression that Clarence is a not too bright, genial sideman who's still pinching himself at his good fortune close to forty years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-06 10:48 by Nikolai.

Date: April 6, 2010 12:32

Nikolai
keefriffhard4life
Nikolai
Gazza

Outlaw Pete 72
My Lucky Day 21
Working On A Dream 84
What Love Can Do 1
This Life 3
Good Eye 3
Kingdom Of Days 32
Surprise Surprise 7
The Wrestler 21

Bit of an extreme reaction, Keef - it's only ONE bad album, and his first stinker since Human Touch.

Thanks for the stats though - bears out what I was saying about the album barely getting an airing. Look out how many times he played our 'favourites' - Surprise, Surprise and Queen of Walmart?

well i really never like his albums without the e-street band. i bet his next one will be solo so i can almost count on the fact i won't like it that much. he's getting up there in age and he may never make another album with the e-street band. i actually like the lucky town/human touch combo although human touch should have been 10 songs like lucky town and it would have been better.

i too was surprised he didn't play last carnival

Date: April 6, 2010 18:15

keefriffhard4life
Nikolai
keefriffhard4life
Nikolai
Gazza

Outlaw Pete 72
My Lucky Day 21
Working On A Dream 84
What Love Can Do 1
This Life 3
Good Eye 3
Kingdom Of Days 32
Surprise Surprise 7
The Wrestler 21

well i really never like his albums without the e-street band. i bet his next one will be solo so i can almost count on the fact i won't like it that much. he's getting up there in age and he may never make another album with the e-street band. i actually like the lucky town/human touch combo although human touch should have been 10 songs like lucky town and it would have been better.

i too was surprised he didn't play last carnival

You like Human Touch? (!!!!) God, I've tried and tried with that one as well. The only way I've made it work is by combining the best of HT and LT, and adding a couple of outtakes from Tracks. Sad Eyes was better than anything on either album, and there were a couple of other gems like Loose Change, Trouble River and Thirty Days Out. Add those in and resequence the thing to leave out most of HT and half of LT and you've got a worthy successor to Tunnel of Love. Of course, it would have been better with the E Street Band ....

As for the next album, you never know with Bruce. I'd like to see him tour with a stripped down band next - just bass, drums, his guitar and keyboards. I saw Prince play an aftershow with just bass and drums, and it was extraordinary.

Date: April 6, 2010 18:37

The song Human Touch is a great one. But your right,if he would of combined the best of HT and LT then he would of had a decent album. As for what's next. I'd rather see a solo album than another Seeger Sessions tour.

Date: April 6, 2010 20:02

I, too, am in the minority, but then I seem to be with a lot of things here winking smiley I really like Human Touch, and I think there are some great songs on it: Title Track, I Wish I Were Blind, 57 Channels, Cross My Heart, All or Nothing At All, Gloria's Eyes are all great. The others aren't bad songs; it's just that these stick out more in my mind.

Lucky Town also has some great stuff on it, too. Better Days, If I Should Fall Behind, Leap of Faith, The Big Muddy, Living Proof, Souls of the Departed, My Beautiful Reward. Love em all.

Date: April 6, 2010 20:04

if i cut human touch down to 10 tracks i like it a lot. if i was to replace some of the songs with stuff from TRACKS it would be great

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839Next
Current Page: 35 of 39

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home