Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best live versions of 'Rocks Off' with Mick T.
Posted by: MickTaylorfan27 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 01:56

Specifically does anyone who's familiar with their bootlegs know if there's any version(s) with a guitar solo from Mick? I've heard a couple versions and there's some lead guitar here and there in the background, but was wondering if there's any with a lengthy solo or outro solo. Maybe there isn't even one, I was just curious. Thanks

Re: Best live versions of 'Rocks Off' with Mick T.
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:51

From the top of my head, I can't think of any live Rocks Off with Taylor soloing "for real" (and I've heard most '72-73 boots). He's just doing licks, particularly during the bridge. It would indeed have been way cool with a heavy outro solo in the same style as the one he plays at the very end of the fadeout on the album version.

Date: May 30, 2011 07:42

Yeah I had a feeling he didn't solo in any of the versions, oh well. It's weird though, because it's the type of song that would be perfect for a nice big Mick T solo. Thanks for the response!

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: May 30, 2011 07:48

Fairly sure the first show with Carla Olson at the Roxy '90. It's odd that the solo was not played regularly with the Stones, since Olson reports that the solo was abbreviated on Exile because the tape ran out. Presumably, Olson coaxed a little solo out of Taylor for this reason. Haven't heard this show in a long while.

In one of the cities in the Australia '73 tour, the same thing happens as on Exile. In two shows in one city (prob. Melbourne), Taylor starts to take a solo at the end, and the band quickly ends the song. I remember it because it's so odd that it happened twice in the same city and I was listening to the shows in order at the time.

I don't have ready access to the shows to confirm the city.

Date: May 30, 2011 09:34

Thanks Smokey, I'll have to check that out. Although I originally meant from the stones period, as I am putting together some of his best solos for a tab book of that period. But like I said, thanks though - much appreciated!

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: May 30, 2011 10:05

Good luck with your project

Date: May 30, 2011 10:46

He never soloed on Rocks Off, but the best version, imo, is the Perth 73 version. Full of energy, and with some beautiful Taylor-licks in the middle eight.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2011 11:57

1973-01-21 "Honeyooloo" comes to mind. The beginning of this show (from BS to GS) is one of the best the Stoesn ever did imho.

Date: May 30, 2011 13:28

Thanks guys!

Now that I think of it, I have the same question about wild horses. Are there any live stones boots with mick where he does a nice solo?

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: May 30, 2011 14:08

They really nailed it at MSG 07/25/1972 #2

Date: May 30, 2011 14:47

MickTaylorfan27
Thanks guys!

Now that I think of it, I have the same question about wild horses. Are there any live stones boots with mick where he does a nice solo?

They played it a couple of times, but no boots exist that I'm aware of.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home