Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 39
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2009
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 16, 2009 00:14

The original intent of this thread was to keep Stones whom are also Bruce & ESB fans throughout the world informed of current tour information and share experiences from attended concerts. I guess it was too much to ask for. Trolls came on this thread badmouthing and bullying not only the ESB but the fans themseves and subsequently responses were forced. Again, this thread was not suppose to be a forum on ESB, just another great source of information that could be enjoyed by iorr members who like both groups.

League Office is disappointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 00:17 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2009 00:48

MKjan

OK, I am not aware of past histories but I just did a search and while he/she takes a hardline with jabs, I still wonder if these jabs/opinions/inane crap are more readily dismissed than they actually hijack/ruin a thread. My occasional shot is more a reaction of frustration than just to wind someone up, although I realize that is probably an unintended result, and it is directed at the artist, not the poster.

Do a search under 'aslecs' and you may see what we're getting at.

Date: October 16, 2009 00:55

Chris Fountain
The original intent of this thread was to keep Stones whom are also Bruce & ESB fans throughout the world informed of current tour information and share experiences from attended concerts. I guess it was too much to ask for. Trolls came on this thread badmouthing and bullying not only the ESB but the fans themseves and subsequently responses were forced. Again, this thread was not suppose to be a forum on ESB, just another great source of information that could be enjoyed by iorr members who like both groups.

League Office is disappointed.

Chris, unfortunately its always 'too much to ask for' for some if Stones fans are seen to also enjoy another commercially successful act for some reason. It never seems to be a problem if its an act who arent that well known or dont sell lots of tickets - it's a ludicrous form of penis envy. It also tends to piss certain people off if the act in question has opinions which dont fit in with their own world view. They wont admit this of course.

You're breaking the First Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Get Too Positive About A False God.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 01:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 01:50

Forget the trolls...what we have a great tour, with complete albums being performed and one excellent bootleg (4/16/09) in circulation. The negativity is just chaff, so toss it away.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 16, 2009 02:36

This is a great, informative thread, started by a Bruce fan for other Bruce fans (and there are a few of us on here). Best ignore the attention-seeking little pricks completely and carry on with it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 16, 2009 02:48

Nikolai
This is a great, informative thread, started by a Bruce fan for other Bruce fans (and there are a few of us on here). Best ignore the attention-seeking little pricks completely and carry on with it.

Carry on we shall. Espicially since the first 2 shows in Philly have been excellent. I haven't heard them yet myself,but hope too soon. 2 more still left in Philly.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 16, 2009 03:07

It also tends to piss certain people off if the act in question has opinions which dont fit in with their own world view

The negativity is just chaff, so toss it away.

Best ignore the attention-seeking little pricks completely and carry on with it.

Carry on we shall.

League Office appreciates excellent quotes/advice from V.O.R., Nikolai, Bassplayer, and SCL. Main concern - great thread jeopardized.

New Policy:

"Give me your best shot"
"Let me see what you got"

"Bring on your Wrecking Ball"
"Bring on your Wrecking Ball"
"Bring on Your Wrecking Ball"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 03:10 by Chris Fountain.

Date: October 16, 2009 03:45

V.O.R. ??

Date: October 16, 2009 03:53

V.O.R. ??

League Office has on numerous occasions referred to you as the Voice of Reason in this forum. Why? In the past, which is now long term you have provided invaluable unbiased information to this forum and have graciously given answers to the L.O. concerning 72 and 75 tour questions via e-mail.

Well Appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 04:00 by Chris Fountain.

Date: October 16, 2009 04:54

I wish he'd bring the fooking wrecking ball out to the LA Sports Arenaeye rolling smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:01

sweetcharmedlife
I wish he'd bring the fooking wrecking ball out to the LA Sports Arenaeye rolling smiley

I 2nd that emotion!

Date: October 16, 2009 05:02

SCL

Is Buffalo the last date for this tour?

Date: October 16, 2009 06:33

Chris Fountain
SCL

As of right now yes. Much speculation about finishing somewhere else though.

Date: October 16, 2009 12:06

sweetcharmedlife
Chris Fountain
SCL

As of right now yes. Much speculation about finishing somewhere else though.

He has an odd relationship with Buffalo, does Bruce. A friend of mine saw him play a D & D show there (and one of the best boots from the tour, I think) and said the place was half empty.

Date: October 16, 2009 12:25

He has an odd relationship with Buffalo, does Bruce. A friend of mine saw him play a D & D show there (and one of the best boots from the tour, I think) and said the place was half empty.

Concert is scheduled for sometime late November before Thanksgiving. L.O. is speculating ESB will add more dates prior to Christmas holidays to wrap up tour. Question, if correct, is where and how many. Perhaps a telecast is in order?

Another factor to consider - when is the R&R HOF show?

Date: October 16, 2009 15:23

Chris Fountain

Concert is scheduled for sometime late November before Thanksgiving. L.O. is speculating ESB will add more dates prior to Christmas holidays to wrap up tour. Question, if correct, is where and how many. Perhaps a telecast is in order?

If this is the last go around for a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they do extend the tour. Nothing against Buffalo and its good people (although it was referred to as "the @#$%& of the world" by Robert De Niro's character in "Once Upon A Time In America" - I always think of the film whenever the place comes up, sorry), but it seems an odd place for Bruce to end a world tour.

Date: October 16, 2009 15:36

bassplayer617
Forget the trolls...what we have a great tour, with complete albums being performed and one excellent bootleg (4/16/09) in circulation. The negativity is just chaff, so toss it away.

thats a great sounding show (its a soundboard, I think) although he's a bit too hoarse for my liking. His voice got better as the tour went on.

After hearing the duet he does with Mike Ness on 'Bad Luck' on that gig, I made a point of discovering Social Distortion as they're not really known over here. Glad I did, I've become a huge fan ever since. Its always positive when your favourite artists manage to turn you on to new music by pointing you in the right direction. Bruce, the Stones and Dylan have been doing that to me now for over 30 years.

Date: October 16, 2009 15:40

Chris Fountain

29th October.

Here's the rest of the tour schedule.

[www.backstreets.com]

Didnt know about that Autism benefit on Nov. 17th. A cause close to my heart.

No plans to extend the tour after Buffalo AFAIK

The first two Philly shows are absolutely outstanding. Serious contenders for best of the entire tour.

Date: October 16, 2009 15:46

Chris Fountain
V.O.R. ??

League Office has on numerous occasions referred to you as the Voice of Reason in this forum. Why? In the past, which is now long term you have provided invaluable unbiased information to this forum and have graciously given answers to the L.O. concerning 72 and 75 tour questions via e-mail.

Well Appreciated.

Phew. Thats a relief. I thought maybe it meant Vile Obnoxious Ratbastid or Very Old Relic or something similar.

Date: October 16, 2009 16:44

Concerning the R&R Hall Of Fame show, does anyone know if any networks are broadcasting the event live?

L.O.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 16, 2009 17:46

What's all that stuff about League Office here and League Office there? Did I miss out on something?
Anyway, I hope Bruce won't take a major break after the US leg, although he'd sure deserve one after
all this constant touring during the last five years.
I'm already looking forward to seeing The Boss in Europe again in a not too distant future.

Date: October 16, 2009 18:23

The Stones
What's all that stuff about League Office here and League Office there? Did I miss out on something?
Anyway, I hope Bruce won't take a major break after the US leg, although he'd sure deserve one after
all this constant touring during the last five years.
I'm already looking forward to seeing The Boss in Europe again in a not too distant future.

I can't quite remember what the terms of Bruce's current Sony contract are, but I think it was five albums of new material and eight archive releases. So far he's put out two new ones (Magic and WOAD) and a (pointless, after The Essential ...) Greatest Hits. My guess is that he'll do at least one solo album and follow it up with a tour, and then he might try something completely different (I doubt Jon Landau will advise him to do another Seeger Sessions because, good though I thought it was, it was his least popular US tour - although Europe loved it and got two tours) before reconvening the E Street Band. This is just speculation on my part, mind.

Date: October 16, 2009 18:44

Bruce is on record as saying he'll work with the Sessions band again. I hope he does. I absolutely loved that album and tour. When I heard about it at first I thought he'd lost his marbles, but it was absolutely terrific.

His contract is such that it allows for a few 'vanity projects' as well as the more financially lucrative E Street Band albums.

Date: October 16, 2009 18:55

I doubt Jon Landau will advise him to do another Seeger Sessions because, good though I thought it was, it was his least popular US tour - although Europe loved it and got two tours

No offense,

Nickolai is it safe to say that the Boss is in it for the music and not popularity? Case in Point - His actions during a particular concert on the Human Touch tour in Chapel Hill.

Everyone had left after the concert -Lights on, people rushing out, etc.
To avoid heavy traffic - my sister, brother in law, and L.O. decided to just hang out in the Dean Dome until we thought the situation had cleared. Most everyone had left. Approximately 50 other fans were still around.

Forty minutes? had elapsed and out of nowhere, Bruce appears and starts playing Working on the Highway. I will never forget it. Just him and an electric guitar with some very astonished and happy folks.

L.O.

Date: October 16, 2009 22:34

Chris Fountain
I doubt Jon Landau will advise him to do another Seeger Sessions because, good though I thought it was, it was his least popular US tour - although Europe loved it and got two tours

No offense,

Nickolai is it safe to say that the Boss is in it for the music and not popularity? Case in Point - His actions during a particular concert on the Human Touch tour in Chapel Hill.

Everyone had left after the concert -Lights on, people rushing out, etc.
To avoid heavy traffic - my sister, brother in law, and L.O. decided to just hang out in the Dean Dome until we thought the situation had cleared. Most everyone had left. Approximately 50 other fans were still around.

Forty minutes? had elapsed and out of nowhere, Bruce appears and starts playing Working on the Highway. I will never forget it. Just him and an electric guitar with some very astonished and happy folks.

L.O.

DAMN! To have been there ....

Date: October 16, 2009 23:20

He did something like that back in '78 in, I think, Seattle. He'd already done 3 encores and played for about 3 hours, the house lights came up and the roadies had started to dismantle the stage. About ten minutes later he came back on, with barely a few hundred people left in the auditorium, and played another few songs.

Date: October 17, 2009 00:37

I really liked Seeger Sessions, by the way, Gazza - aka Mr VOR (heh-heh). Saw both Wembley Arena shows from the second and third rows. Blinders both.

Date: October 17, 2009 00:52

Was at all 5 Irish shows. brilliant stuff.

Meanwhile, here's some truly jaw dropping footage from night 1 in Philly of Bruce crowd surfing during Hungry Heart. Takes an incredible bit of faith in your audience to do this!

82 minute audience video of this now available on dime and jungleland.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-17 00:53 by Gazza.

Date: October 18, 2009 02:07

Death and Dying
Surgery By John J. Moser

OF THE MORNING CALL

October 17, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

Tuesday marks the last show Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will play at The Spectrum, which closes less than two weeks later.

But Clarence Clemons -- the band's saxophone player and venerable Big Man -- says he doesn't think it will be the last time they will play their beloved Philadelphia.

Because despite aging (Springsteen's 60; Clemons, 67) and physical limitations (Clemons has had hip and knee replacement surgeries and back problems), Clemons says Springsteen ''just seems to be getting stronger and stronger.''

''So I guess the stronger he gets, the stronger we'll have to become, just to keep up with him,'' Clemons says in a telephone call Friday from Philadelphia, where the band is taking a few days off from its tour before shows Monday and Tuesday.

''So it's an incentive to work, and it's an incentive to keep yourself in good shape. And we seem to be getting stronger and stronger.''

That wasn't always the case, as Clemons writes in a new book, ''Big Man: Real Life & Tall Tales,'' due out Tuesday.

With co-author/friend Don Reo, Clemons writes he was so sure Springsteen's tour for the CD ''The Rising'' in 2003 would be the last, he tearfully grabbed Springsteen's hand after the final show and told him, ''Thanks ... for everything.''

The book, the first memoir from a member of the E Street Band, is sprinkled with details you would expect. It touches on Clemons' ''serious recreational drug use.'' Smoking pot with comedian Redd Foxx. Snorting cocaine during a high-speed ride on the Jersey Turnpike. A 1973 traffic stop after a show in Bryn Mawr that terrified Clemons because he had a joint in his pocket and Springsteen had a no-drugs policy.

It also touches on the availability of sex not just for Clemons -- ''It was unbelievable. It was possible to have a different woman every five minutes. It actually was too much'' -- but of other band members, such as keyboardist Danny Federici, who died of cancer in April 2008.

But the book is far from a tell-all, concentrating instead on revelations such a how the band got its name (from a Springsteen suggestion after a long wait for member David Sancious outside his mother's home on E Street in Belmar, N.J.)

It also says Robert DeNiro copied his ''You talkin' to me?'' line in ''Taxi Driver'' from a Springsteen phrase he shouted at audiences. It tells how Clemons, playing for Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band, got a comforting hug from Starr when Springsteen dissolved the band in 1989.

''Tell-all books are boring,'' Clemons laughingly says in the phone call. ''What you did, nobody wants to know about it, unless you did something exciting. ... I'm an entertainer, and this book is very entertaining, I think.''

But the book freely talks about Clemons' health problems, opening and closing with the October knee-replacement surgeries he feared would prevent him from playing the band's Super Bowl show Feb. 1. He also has had two hip replacements and a mild heart attack that ended his smoking and drinking. And when the book was written, he faced back surgery.

But Clemons says that his health is improving, and doctors have told him his back bones are ''fusing themselves'' and he may not need surgery.

''I call the stage 'the healing floor,' because I walk out there and nothing hurts, nothing bothers me for the three hours,'' he says with a laugh.

He says Federici's death helped focus the entire band on caring for themselves, ''because this is a big responsibility that we have as a band, to our fans.''

''We'll all pass on eventually, but I hope that this band stays together until we do.''

Clemons says the Philadelphia shows have ''been great. The Philadelphia audiences, they're like our home crowd.''

But he says it saddens him the building will be razed.

''It's sad to see these old buildings go because they have so many memories, and it's a real personal kind of thing when you play these places,'' he says. ''It's part of our history just gone.

''But we're just creating new history in new places.''
Copyright © 2009, The Morning Call

Date: October 18, 2009 11:40

I've ordered my signed copy from Backstreets. You gotta love the Big Man.

He did indeed have tears rolling down his face during the last night of the Rising tour at Shea Stadium.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 39

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2222
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home