Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:38

StonesTod
Cheers from Minnesota!

ok, cheers...but that wasn't a very cheery post...[/quote]

Agree - perhaps you can edit it to say "Melancholy in Minnisota".

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:42

CindyC
StonesTod
Cheers from Minnesota!

ok, cheers...but that wasn't a very cheery post...

Agree - perhaps you can edit it to say "Melancholy in Minnisota".[/quote]

perhaps he was being sarcastic? i'm not really up on the whole sarcasm stuff, but i hear good things.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:44

Sarcastic? No

Reality

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:12

video: [www.youtube.com]

This is kinda what Taylor added to the Stones sound!

Paris 1970

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:24

palerider22
Has this one been posted? Sorry if it has...it's my favourite of the lot. Great closeups, side stage...a band at work! Everyone is clearly having a great time...

[url=

][/url][/quote]

Pale Rider, first viewing for me and I agree, it's the best -- captures best sound and detailed interplay between the band with facial expressions and gestures that indicate they ARE having a blast, and a bit more "in control" than I previously thought. I also see them encouraging each other and pretty pleased with what they are creating. No doubt MT was excited by the spotlight, but it was generously given and happily received by all his former bandmates. I am now planning to get to one of the next concerts. . .

As a relative newcomer and Taylor fan, it's been a trip reading 11 pages of comments dedicated to his performance of MR because such a strangely inconsistent impression emerges from those 12 minutes of stage time. One of the problems is that it was just one performance and so tough to call if he has the chops or just nerves or the recording is not picking up the nuances that would fill in the story. With due respect to everyone's opinion, this hotly debated topic is proof that MT's premiere guest spot on the anniversary tour has given everyone of us a jolt and it's great. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow and I am rooting for the addition of more songs (Sway! CYHMK!). For sure I agree: more time to practice and mesh would greatly benefit the overall performance without sacrificing any of the improvisation that is MT's forte. To see it, he was welcomed back in the fold literally with open arms, so I am optimistic that musical synergy they share will only flow and be even more electrifying than it was on Sunday.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:39

blueyestoo
Pale Rider, first viewing for me and I agree, it's the best -- captures best sound and detailed interplay between the band with facial expressions and gestures that indicate they ARE having a blast, and a bit more "in control" than I previously thought. I also see them encouraging each other and pretty pleased with what they are creating. No doubt MT was excited by the spotlight, but it was generously given and happily received by all his former bandmates. I am now planning to get to one of the next concerts. . .

As a relative newcomer and Taylor fan, it's been a trip reading 11 pages of comments dedicated to his performance of MR because such a strangely inconsistent impression emerges from those 12 minutes of stage time. One of the problems is that it was just one performance and so tough to call if he has the chops or just nerves or the recording is not picking up the nuances that would fill in the story. With due respect to everyone's opinion, this hotly debated topic is proof that MT's premiere guest spot on the anniversary tour has given everyone of us a jolt and it's great. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow and I am rooting for the addition of more songs (Sway! CYHMK!). For sure I agree: more time to practice and mesh would greatly benefit the overall performance without sacrificing any of the improvisation that is MT's forte. To see it, he was welcomed back in the fold literally with open arms, so I am optimistic that musical synergy they share will only flow and be even more electrifying than it was on Sunday.

Good points. Hope you make it to the show!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:46

kevinkamphuis
Here's my MULTICAM video of Midnight Rambler

(I edited out the 2 bum notes in the first solowinking smiley

Great job. In the pit, the guitar balance is a little better and you hear the rhythm underpinnings a bit more. Having MT so up in the P.A. mix was really the house engineer's problem, not Taylor's. He only asked to have the stage monitors on his side have more of his guitar in the mix so he could hear better.I hope the guitarists (and the sound guy) work this out for Thursday. This was an incredible moment, and all future MT performances are really something to look forward too.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:48

cn854

Paris 1970

Smoking version! Interesting how the horns just played a backing riff with Taylor playing lead guitar over them instead of a sax solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 01:49 by 71Tele.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:50

We need kleermaker to weigh in on Taylor's MR performance. Where is he?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:03

Mick Taylor, even if he was nervous, unbalanced or whatever; if he can get his bearings and focus, his virtuosity could take a few songs places where they haven't had the opportunity to go for awhile. I enjoyed hearing little glimmers of cascading guitar riffs like that on stage with them again, despite the rough sound/mesh. If some thought MT was too loud and made a trainwreck, remember: it's the soundman's responsibility to balance the guitar mix for the crowd sound system. Taylor just asked for his stage monitors to be loud, not the P.A. system that is picked up in most of these videos. If Keith's guitar were turned up more in the mix and Taylor's was dimmed, it would be a different listen. It'd be nice to hear a mixed soundboard recording.

MT, in from the cold, even if but for a moment.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 29, 2012 10:31

winter
kevinkamphuis
Here's my MULTICAM video of Midnight Rambler

(I edited out the 2 bum notes in the first solowinking smiley

Great job. In the pit, the guitar balance is a little better and you hear the rhythm underpinnings a bit more. Having MT so up in the P.A. mix was really the house engineer's problem, not Taylor's. He only asked to have the stage monitors on his side have more of his guitar in the mix so he could hear better.I hope the guitarists (and the sound guy) work this out for Thursday. This was an incredible moment, and all future MT performances are really something to look forward too.

Sounds great to me !! Taylor sounds so much more cohesive within the framework of the band here. This could almost be 1973 at moments, eyes closed!! I think i'm going to have to reconsider some of my previous thoughts a little! I think it's going to be hard to go back to listening to the regular Stones line up knowing what they are truly capable of given just a little more incentive, with the addition of Taylor.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 29, 2012 10:50

Redhotcarpet
Justin
GumbootCloggeroo
I don't consider myself an "anti-Taylorite". I'm pro-good music. I don't care if Taylor stood there, walked around, did the running man, squats, whatever. If a special guest came out to play with the band I was seeing and they played a shit load of bad notes and dipped into the wrong key during a solo, I will call him out on it. I don't care who it is. If you're going to play in front of thousands and thousands of people in a major venue then you better bring your A game. Clearly Mick Taylor lost his A-game long time ago, which is fine, that's who he is. But when you clearly aren't at the top of your game anymore or anywhere near the top, I'm not going to put on my kool-aid glasses and say that he still is a killer guitarist who has the magic touch like some people here are. But hey, that's their opinion and I have mine. Like I said before, it was nice to at least see him play with the Stones again. Yes, his playing did consist of some good parts but the lousy stuff is unacceptable. But he is who he is.

I've got to agree with this.

What is heartwarming to see is that the "Taylorites" apparently wear the exact type of blinders that the "Keith worshipers" used to (or still?) wear. And here we thought they were the most rational and and even-tempered of the bunch. Hardly!--they're just as forgiving to Taylor for his bum notes as fans of Keith were/are for his equally bummy notes during the last couple tours. Kinda nice to see that we're all cut from the same cloth!

A part of me is also very disappointed that most people on this board would label a song like "Midnight Rambler" as Vegas Stones even as they've performed it up to now. The song has basically been immune to the effects of "Vegas" Stones. And it has survived pretty well even without Taylor.

It concerns me that the presence of Mick Taylor--who came on and literally threw the song off its tracks (and not in a good way)-- would be someone people would label as the "cure" for the Vegas Stones WTF? I guess standards are all out the window once we get Taylor back, eh? Forget about arrangements or the quality of playing for the REST of the band--just as long as we get Taylor wailing away, eh? The fact that nobody noticed just how much of a domino effect Taylor created in his recklessness on this song is proof just how desperate people are to have him back even at the expense of the rest of the band and the music they're playing. Let's sacrifice five guys just so we could get back one!

And like you Gumboot, I don't consider myself "anti-Taylorite" in the slightest. There were many genuine moments of me geeking out and squealing in joy with a couple of Taylor's licks and it was utter joy to see him up there with his old band. He started out very strong but things began to unravel as he progressed. But I do want to call BS that this song is proof why the current Stones "don't work." If you wanted an under-rehearsed, over-noodling Guitar God who completely disregarded the music and played by his own rules---you had Keith in 2007! Where was the love then?

FFS Justin, really? Taylor hasnt played a real crowd since what, 1973? He's back in the Stones, clearly very very very nervous, yet had that perfect tone and was probably trying to hold that vibrato. I'm not impressed but only because I know he can play better meaning more focused and he has the tricks up his sleeve unlike Ronnie or Keith. Keiths role is to chew that riff like a mad dog but he hasnt done that since 1973 although I love his 1975 version. What's lacking is the Keith/Taylor; and Jagger interplay. This sounded like Taylor doing some bits and pieces, some good, many hints of greatness.

Not sure it matters the reasons why Taylor played the way he did..he just did. It's no real big deal to say that portions of his work were sublime and some parts patchy which caused an imbalance in the sound...it's just the reality of it. No harm in making note of it. If we've been tough on Keith all these years...why not Taylor too?

The point of my post wasn't knocking Taylor but calling out the fans that blindly accept Taylor while simultaneously sacrificing the rest of the band just for his inclusion (I outlined this in my previous post). It makes me wonder if people really just wanted Taylor all for themselves all this time and the people who backed him up on stage barely mattered all that much. Maybe to them it was always Mick Taylor and his Rolling Stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 11:04 by Justin.

Date: November 29, 2012 11:13

Midnight Rambler didn't sound like this in the hall!

Listening to the YT clips, you hear every of Taylor's farts. Totally different story.

Why he played like he did? Probably, he thought he had a lot of catching up to do. He was doomed to lose, though, you can't get it all down in one track!

It was great seeing him on stage again, though thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:21

DandelionPowderman

Listening to the YT clips, you hear every of Taylor's farts. Totally different story.

Why he played like he did? Probably, he thought he had a lot of catching up to do. He was doomed to lose, though, you can't get it all down in one track!

It would have sounded different depending where you were.

Taylor did not lose, no way, this is inspired and exciting live music with all of the inevitable wobbles that come from players improvising.

There are flubs, but the spirit is electric and there are some great moments. I have been quite an irritating pain in the arse about Taylor, but what happened on Sunday showed me what this band means to him and that if included more he could help the band have more musical bite and bluesy inspiration through it's final stage.

Taylor greatly contributed to saving the stones before and if let back in(atleast to some degree) he could do it again.

smileys with beer

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:22

DandelionPowderman

He still has a lot of farts to do to compete with Ron though, we have to give him that one.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:30

Great great Mick Taylor performance. He sounds so much cohesive with cCarlie, Keith and Mick here.

Date: November 29, 2012 12:41

VT22
DandelionPowderman

He still has a lot of farts to do to compete with Ron though, we have to give him that one.

Taylor was great, you and Philip are missing my point smiling smiley

By losing I meant that not everybody would be happy with constant guitar solos on Rambler - and they didn't.

I loved seeing Taylor AND Wyman live on stage.

And when did music become a competition?

Date: November 29, 2012 12:44

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

It would have sounded different depending where you were.

Taylor did not lose, no way, this is inspired and exciting live music with all of the inevitable wobbles that come from players improvising.

There are flubs, but the spirit is electric and there are some great moments. I have been quite an irritating pain in the arse about Taylor, but what happened on Sunday showed me what this band means to him and that if included more he could help the band have more musical bite and bluesy inspiration through it's final stage.

Taylor greatly contributed to saving the stones before and if let back in(atleast to some degree) he could do it again.

smileys with beer

Well, on all the YT-videos I've seen later on, Taylor is above the rest of the band in volum - constantly.

I was pretty centered, just behind the pit, and he was loud, but not this loud. That's what the other IORRians said as well, located all over the arena.

By saying "he was doomed to lose" I didn't meant to criticise his playing. I liked it myself, although he came a bit across like he wanted to steal the show - but in a way he did anyway.

Date: November 29, 2012 12:45

Keith, Ronnie and Mick were great on Sunday and it is so heart warming to see/hear Keith come back the way he did! thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 12:52 by His Majesty.

Date: November 29, 2012 12:52

Competition ? no...

If Ronnie could play a solo like Mick Taylor, we would know it since 35 years at leaSt smiling smiley

Date: November 29, 2012 13:09

roby
Competition ? no...

If Ronnie could play a solo like Mick Taylor, we would know it since 35 years at leaSt smiling smiley

No musicians are alike, luckily (turn on round 07:00):

Date: November 29, 2012 13:22

His Majesty
Keith, Ronnie and Mick were great on Sunday and it is so heart warming to see/hear Keith come back the way he did! thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: November 29, 2012 14:21

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

thumbs up

Wonderful! smileys with beer

Date: November 29, 2012 20:01

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

thumbs up

Wonderful! smileys with beer

Sweet! Do I hear a fiddle playing?! (Sorry to be off topic)

Date: November 29, 2012 20:02

DandelionPowderman
roby
Competition ? no...

HOT RONNIE!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-29 20:33 by blueyestoo.

Date: November 29, 2012 20:15

WERE ARE IN 2O12.

Ron can't play such a solo since 1998 Tour... Stop dreaming.

DandelionPowderman
roby
Competition ? no...

Date: November 29, 2012 20:32

71Tele
cn854

Paris 1970

Smoking version! Interesting how the horns just played a backing riff with Taylor playing lead guitar over them instead of a sax solo.

Awesome clip. This kind of playing which seemed so effortless for MT is so relentlessly fierce that I kind of need to recuperate afterwards. . .

I mean that in a good way. >grinning smiley<

These days he still has the raw edge but draws it out in slow blues or slide which can be intense in a different way than his youthful playing. With occasionaly blues fill -- on Love in Vain -- Dead Flowers -- c'mon guys let's hear it!!!

Date: November 29, 2012 20:40

More playing in just a few hours -- more chat -- cheers all smileys with beer

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: November 29, 2012 20:51

[/quote]
Maybe to them it was always Mick Taylor and his Rolling Stones?[/quote]

That's kind of funny and interesting, Justin. I didn't comment and still haven't watched the video, but I suppose this comment rings somewhat true to me because I was really into that particular lineup of the band, back in the day. When Taylor left it hurt and took a long time to get over it. Luckily they came back strong with Some Girls.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 29, 2012 22:33

71Tele
We need kleermaker to weigh in on Taylor's MR performance. Where is he?

Hi Tele, thanks for your compliment.

I just don't want to analyse this performance of MR with Taylor. You, Edward and of course Doxa and some others did that job already in a more than excellent way.
I just enjoyed and still am enjoying and will be enjoying every second of this legendary performance, watching all the videos, listening to the audio sec.

Despite mistakes, bum notes or whatever ... who cares. It was just magic, musically, emotionally and historically. So many fantastic moments, already mentioned by so many other members.

Even His Majesty enjoyed it a lot. Need I say more? cool smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home