Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:29

MoreFastNumbers
I think that record from yesterday really show the difference between the MIck Taylor period and Ron. Woody standing very near to Keith, listening each other and weawing with an outstanding collaboration, while MT playing his own solo part. Which is fabulous of course and gave the Stones another dimensions.

But overall, I think the Wood-Richards pair is the real, unique Stones sonding.

ps: thanks for posting it. and Taylor mooooving..smiling smiley

For the Mick Taylor period you have to go back to 1969-1973!
Check out the albums and video's!

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:31

Erik_Snow...I could use a new Calculator. How about a iPad Mini?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:32

Happy24
Finally seeing MR after having seen quite a lot of other videos from the last night. Well, I'll be honest and say that I liked the other videos way more.

Mick T. really seems to be lost, looks like he is improvising on a song he has never heard before. That strange moving around the stage, following Mick, doesn't help a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to bash Mick in any way, I am just excited about seeing him on one stage with The Stones like anybody else, this was his first apperance with The Stones in more than 35 years, so I can understand he wasn't feeling exactly comfortable. I hope he will do more, much more with The Stones over the next few months. Or at least I wish.

It is really difficult to jump into a show and do one song, especially when that is the moment everybody is waiting for. I rember the last year, how Dave Gilmour was a doing a guest appearence in The Wall show of Richard Waters. He played just one solo in one show. it was Comfortably Numb, his ultimate solo and well, it was probably the worst version I have ever heard from him. The pressure of such an occasion must be huge.

Anyway, as others wrote - I also hope that Mick T. will rehearse some more and that it will only get better.

Agree, great to see him again and I do hope he'll be back again for more shows, but to be honest this song wasn't the highlight for me. They need to rehearse more with Mick T. and than it will be great.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:33

Well it isn't the Mick Taylor of old playing MR in Texas in 1972 but it was a pretty neat piece of video if I don't say so myself....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:38

phelge
That wasn't bad at all!!
Imagine just how good Mick Taylor would be after a few more gigs.

Totally agree. He was just warming up. After nearly 40 years takes nerve to come out near the end of a big gig like this to play one song. That's why he's jumping all around.

Date: November 27, 2012 00:41

Justin
paulm
Keith is uncomfortable having MT in the spotlight.

Too many cooks in the kitchen...

We need more Taylor time, to develop something. Can't expect miracles in 12 minutes. I'm guessing if he were a more permanent fixture, the stage hopping would settle into pure musicianship. Last night, he was having fun in one (possibly) last moment with the band.

Keith is uncomfortable when there's ANY other guitar player taking the spotlight. He's always been like that. But the two share a couple warm moments with embraces so there isn't any bad feelings there.

The problem here is that this is Taylor's only spot in the show so he's literally cramming all that he's got into this 12 minute window. It's hard for him to apply some restraint when this is his only shot. Have him on a few more songs and we can get a very controlled and balanced "Rambler." At the moment, it's all Taylor. That's not necessarily a bad thing but there is no balance.

Exactly.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:43

I honestly thought the RS had quit 5 years ago, and I never expected to see them perform again. In my wildest dreams, I didn't expect to see Mick Taylor on stage with them.

Miracles happen!

Date: November 27, 2012 00:44

paulm
Seems like we über-MT fans agree that with more time, he would once again take the band somewhere higher.

Right! I love all you uber-MT fans cool smiley

Date: November 27, 2012 00:48

Palace Revolution 2000
There's a couple of times when Taylor gets right in Ronnie's face, like guitarists world wide do. But in this particular dynamic, do you think there was a bit of "Watch and learn; THIS is how it's done"? As a joke?

No I don't. These two are good friends.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:53

toomuchforme
here is my shot

Woah! He overplays a bit and fluffs some stuff here and there, but damn a man in his element! What a difference he makes to the quality and energy of the band. Just like 1969 he gives them EXACTLY what they need. hot smiley

Clearly he was fired up for this! A point was made and beautifully so. I got goosebumps watching/listeneing to that!

No need for backing singers and all that other jazz with the three stones guitar attack. I think it would be a real shame to not explore this approach more officially.

I have underestimated this man big time. Tip 'o' the hat to you Mick Taylor.

smileys with beer

Lil sad observation... seeing Keith, Mick and Ronnie onstage side by side, what a damn shame Brian isn't alive to join them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 00:58 by His Majesty.

Date: November 27, 2012 00:55

LieB
71Tele
Given only one song, I think Taylor decided to make the most of it, and perhaps he overplayed a bit for that reason. His back-and-forth with Jagger was great. I personally would prefer if he were in a segment of the show which consisted of songs like Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, and Sway, where he could blend with the band a bit more, but I thought Taylor stepping out of character and taking ownership of the stage was absolutely thrilling. I'll take it.

Exactly my sentiments too!

Well put.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:56

runaway
MoreFastNumbers
I think that record from yesterday really show the difference between the MIck Taylor period and Ron. Woody standing very near to Keith, listening each other and weawing with an outstanding collaboration, while MT playing his own solo part. Which is fabulous of course and gave the Stones another dimensions.

But overall, I think the Wood-Richards pair is the real, unique Stones sonding.

ps: thanks for posting it. and Taylor mooooving..smiling smiley

For the Mick Taylor period you have to go back to 1969-1973!
Check out the albums and video's!

I am talking about the differencies of Ron/Mick with Keith in the perspective of all of the Stones history.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:21

DANG IT'S GOOD TO SEE MICK TAYLOR!

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:28

For years he must of been frustrated with reading/hearing about how he never moved onstage and this was his time to put all that to rest and let go. Great to see.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:42

toomuchforme
here is my shot

wet pant moment, i will go and try and lie down

fffkkkkkkkkkiiiinnnnnnneeeellllllllllllggggggrrrrrrrssssssssmmmmmmmmmaaaaazzzzziiiinnnnnnnffffaaaannnnnnnnnndddddaaaaabbbbbbyyyyyydoooooooooooozeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:49

It's great that The Stones have so many living members--past and present--to recall their glory years like that, and that they're all alive and well and still able to play. Not many bands from that era can boast 6 living members.... in fact, I can't even think offhand of one other such band from that era who can say that, can you?....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:55

I think that Taylor must have problems hearing himself onstage, between 1-2 minutes into the video he several times ask for more volume, and times he's standing on top of that stage monitor; and he's playing better then.
When walking around onstage, gone from the monitor, he sometimes gets lost in his playing....that's gotta be an unpleasant for him
Anybody else see that? If that's true....then the next London show could be an even bigger blast, for Rambler - if they solve this problem
...this is no complaint about Midnight Rambler yesterday....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 01:56 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 27, 2012 01:56

stonesnow
It's great that The Stones have so many living members--past and present--to recall their glory years like that, and that they're all alive and well and still able to play. Not many bands from that era can boast 6 living members.... in fact, I can't even think offhand of one other such band from that era who can say that, can you?....

Kinda easier when you have atleast 6 to begin with and then go on and replace some people.

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: November 27, 2012 01:58

Munichhilton
and chose a different song...hell Stop Breaking Down would've been meatier for him...and oh wait! Thats from his era!

Watch the 100club show and you'lll be disappointed.

Date: November 27, 2012 02:03

Erik_Snow
I think that Taylor must have problems hearing himself onstage, between 1-2 minutes into the video he several times ask for more volume, and times he's standing on top of that stage monitor; and he's playing better then.
When walking around onstage, gone from the monitor, he sometimes gets lost in his playing....that's gotta be an unpleasant for him
Anybody else see that? If that's true....then the next London show could be an even bigger blast, for Rambler - if they solve this problem

Yes I saw that very much too. And at first I thought Uh-Oh, because I have seen MT go whole gigs doing this, and stay distracted the entire time. It's good that it seemed to get taken care of.
But he did seem restless.

Date: November 27, 2012 02:10

WTF??? Did I just hear THE REAL ROLLING STONES????? IT SOUNDED LIKE A BLUES BASED ROCK BAND!!!!! Who was that band?? lol

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:11

His Majesty
stonesnow

Kinda easier when you have atleast 6 to begin with and then go on and replace some people.

Not really. How many left from the original Grateful Dead? The band Love are all gone. Only 1 or 2 left from The Band. The mortality rate among the main acts from that era just seems rather high. Also, from more recent bands like the New York Dolls--just 2 out of 6 original members remain.

Besides, The Stones were a 6-piece band only before they began their recording career. To the public, they've always been a 5-piece outfit.

Date: November 27, 2012 02:28

stonesnow
His Majesty
stonesnow

Not really. How many left from the original Grateful Dead? The band Love are all gone. Only 1 or 2 left from The Band. The mortality rate among the main acts from that era just seems rather high. Also, from more recent bands like the New York Dolls--just 2 out of 6 original members remain.

Besides, The Stones were a 6-piece band only before they began their recording career. To the public, they've always been a 5-piece outfit.

King Crimson, lots of surviving members.

Depending on who you count the list is as short or as long as you want it to be.

Back to Taylor with stones. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: November 27, 2012 02:42

Hey I'm glad everyone over the pond is having a great time! Anyway I read a few post's on this Taylor thing and i had to check it out of course! It was wonderful seeing Taylor back up on stage and the Stones obvisiously playing very good, Taylor had some unbelievable riffs through out the song but as allways he self destruct's himself by going over the #$@#%$# Top! Period! Keef was way uncomfortable in some spot's but when Jagger has to take the mike and drop it to his waist like can we get into the groove of this song and drop the tempo when it's time to drop the tempo or is this the Mick Taylor show again and again he's like a child that never got enough attention. Period! i mean he's in Ronnie's rface he's in Keith's face and Jagger's face it's just plain Weird! We know your a great guitar player Taylor but please mesh with the band when you play! It's supposed to be fun man. another thing Woody is'nt even allowed on Keef's side so that was like Taylor saying FU to Keef just going for the hog show like his normal self if he slow the tempo when the band wanted to slow the tempo and pick it back again and again it would of been insane. Tatlor is just a blow it, you can see it all over the whole video he point's over to his guitar tech and point's up the turn the $#%$#@$ thing all the way up with a marshall to boot. I would be surprised if he even comes back for the next show but it probably on contract and the Stones are doing there 50th mini tour so i don't think they give a $#%#. It was way cool at the begining but if you watch it 2 or 3 times you'll see what is up and you can make your own observation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:45 by stonesfrkk.

Date: November 27, 2012 02:45

Erik_Snow

Erik, I like your posts.
I saw that. What strikes me is that this stage/room is HUGE! MT is not used to playing in this kind of venue for some years now (plus maybe some hearing loss). I have noticed even as a younger player he was very keen on getting best sound, always gesturing offstage to some technician. Sound is super important to him; maybe not always even volume, but the ability to hear his tone. . . Just guessing but it must have been difficult under these cicumstances. So it is nice how Ronnie nods in assurance (being the "stadium" pro) that his volume is ok -- though MT himself might not hear it. It would take a little getting used to I would think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 02:57 by blueyestoo.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:14

I love MT and it is GREAT to see him playing with the Stones but I thought his performance was a bit out of sync with Keith and Ronnie. I don't doubt some more rehearsal time with Keith would have done him good. It seemed like Keith was not as supportive musically to MT as he could have been on this tune. Of course the mix I heard on Max's thread was not ideal. I hope he gets more chances to really put the right stuff on there, he's obviously got it in him. peace

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:21

blueyestoo
Erik_Snow

Erik, I like your posts.
I saw that. What strikes me is that this stage/room is HUGE! MT is not used to playing in this kind of venue for some years now (plus maybe some hearing loss). I have noticed even as a younger player he was very keen on getting best sound, always gesturing offstage to some technician. Sound is super important to him; maybe not always even volume, but the ability to hear his tone. . . Just guessing but it must have been difficult under these cicumstances. So it is nice how Ronnie nods in assurance (being the "stadium" pro) that his volume is ok -- though MT himself might not hear it. It would take a little getting used to I would think.

Good point; about the difference in size of the stage, and Ronnie giving Taylor the nod, making it obvious that Taylor isn't sure about how it's supposed to sound.
Hey....so you like my posts, ah that's terrific; now we are 2 !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 03:28 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:25

As I watch it again, it becomes more awkward looking especially in the first segment. Mick is clearly annoyed with Taylor's stalking and Ronnie and Keith are just stunned at his behavior.

Mick takes to the runway to escape the mugging. I think Taylor was hoping Mick would put his arm around him and sing let he used to do with Ronnie in 1975. Also it appears as though Darryl is not playing just holding his bass.

Jagger held his composure quite well thru all of this. He did a great dance just before the middle segment. Best I've seen in a while.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:33

It was just the wrong song for Taylor to socialize with the band. Someone else mentioned how they should have devoted a small section of the show to him..like a 3 song set like "Tumblin Dice" "Gimme Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler." By the time he would get to "MR"...he'd focus on playing. Taylor was obviously very excited to be there and wanted to spend time with each member and absorb the moment but this is an hour into the show and these guys are focused at this point. "Midnight Rambler" is not a fun a song when it's not going exactly as it should go. It becomes a race to the finish line.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2012 03:55

stonesfrkk
Hey I'm glad everyone over the pond is having a great time! Anyway I read a few post's on this Taylor thing and i had to check it out of course! It was wonderful seeing Taylor back up on stage and the Stones obvisiously playing very good, Taylor had some unbelievable riffs through out the song but as allways he self destruct's himself by going over the #$@#%$# Top! Period! Keef was way uncomfortable in some spot's but when Jagger has to take the mike and drop it to his waist like can we get into the groove of this song and drop the tempo when it's time to drop the tempo or is this the Mick Taylor show again and again he's like a child that never got enough attention. Period! i mean he's in Ronnie's rface he's in Keith's face and Jagger's face it's just plain Weird! We know your a great guitar player Taylor but please mesh with the band when you play! It's supposed to be fun man. another thing Woody is'nt even allowed on Keef's side so that was like Taylor saying FU to Keef just going for the hog show like his normal self if he slow the tempo when the band wanted to slow the tempo and pick it back again and again it would of been insane. Tatlor is just a blow it, you can see it all over the whole video he point's over to his guitar tech and point's up the turn the $#%$#@$ thing all the way up with a marshall to boot. I would be surprised if he even comes back for the next show but it probably on contract and the Stones are doing there 50th mini tour so i don't think they give a $#%#. It was way cool at the begining but if you watch it 2 or 3 times you'll see what is up and you can make your own observation!

Points taken away for overuse of exclamation points and not understanding that just because a word ends in the letter "s" it doesn't mean you put an apostrophe before it. "Self destructs", not "self destruct's". He "points", not "point's". And what does the sentence "Tatlor is just a blow it" mean exactly? If you had a point (or "point's", as you say) it would have been better conveyed in English.

Incomprehensible.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1418
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home