Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 27, 2012 16:46

Yes, I agree, he should play on a few songs more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 16:46 by roby.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2012 16:53

Doxa
Silver Dagger
Here's my version...fianlly (for what it's worth).

Holy shit. Just made a brief look at 'what's going on in Stones world', and this comes up.

The Stones laways have a good thing going on when playing this number - and for that brief moment they forget their Vegas essence and play with full heart and soul - but this goes to another level altogether. They are hittng to the zone of 'dangerous', and they sound, you know The Rolling @#$%& Stones, man...

Damn, let me try to write through these tears... not just the phenomenal, majesic Taylor here - who plays sloppier and making more mistakes than he did during the whole 1973 tor, but still giving them instrumental genious they haven't seen since, yep, 1973 - it is the whole damn band. Keith facing Charlie and keeping the damn rhythmn down-down-down, and leaving all the stupid posings out, and being what he does best in his life: being the musical leader of The Rolling Stones who shines when the band shines. That moment in the very end when they make the last rhythn change, and Taylor, Richards and Watts showing signals to each other (well, Keith actually), Jagger's elastic silhuette in back... that's 'my' Stones. Charlie is Charlie and Jagger finally has learned to perform the song right during 'Vegas' Era (leaving certain cliches out), and just lives the music through his body, and is simply phenomenal.

I think the filming being technically not too perfect doesn't matter at all. It is like listening to some old bootleg from Taylor era; it adds some funny magic - mysterious feeling or aura that always been a part of the Stones charm. This band, and anything related to it, doesn't need to be 'polished' or 'perfect'. This is the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Couldn't have imagined they actually could be, after all these years, so phenomenal. (Only Wyman missing to make it really dangerous soundwise, but you can't alw..blahblahblah)

Thank you very much, Silver Dagger - if this turns out to be the last 'current' thing I will ever had from The Stones, it will leave a very nice taste in mouth.

And yeah - about the real star in this clip - does Taylor over-play or not, who cares, "play that guitar boy"!!!! For all those wasted years! (And hats off to Woodie for showing respect and staying out of the way, and letting the 'big boys' handle the game).

Now continue.thumbs up

- Doxa

Welcome back Doxa. Great post.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:02

Some great comments here. No doubt some people still prefer the safe Vegas-era Stones and are uncomfortable with Taylor's performance. Does he overplay at times? Yes. Is he a bit ragged in places? Yes. Was he nervous? Possibly. Did he want to make a statement? Definitely!

But he achieved what no one else has in 25 years. He made the Rolling Stones dangerous again. For 12 minutes anyway.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:10

yeah!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:15

71Tele
Some great comments here. No doubt some people still prefer the safe Vegas-era Stones and are uncomfortable with Taylor's performance. Does he overplay at times? Yes. Is he a bit ragged in places? Yes. Was he nervous? Possibly. Did he want to make a statement? Definitely!

But he achieved what no one else has in 25 years. He made the Rolling Stones dangerous again. For 12 minutes anyway.

Great observation. You didn't know what was going to happen and that was a real big part of the thrill.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:21

Silver Dagger
Here's my version...finally (for what it's worth).

Thank you so much!!!
MT - a revelation! - still sends shivers down my spine...
CrazyMama

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:22

NickB
and didn't pay enough attention to his playing which was often off time and in the wrong key. He kind of spoiled it for me trying to take over and dominate the stage. To me he made himself look a bit of a jerk and in hindsight I'm sure he'll realise. If he came out and just stood there and played properly and listened to what the other musicians were playing then I'm sure it would have been better.

As for the need to rehearse the song with the band.....not sure that he does..he just needs to listen rather than play all over the song.

Amen. Off tempo and off key. Those are kind of pretty basic for any musician.

Someone else said he fills out the sound as opposed to Ronnie. There's a difference between filling out the sound and drowning it out. Young teenagers learning to play the guitar for the first time "fill" out the sound that way.

I'm sure nerves or something must have been playing with him, but man that was just a shock to see, especially after the initial excitement of hearing he was playing Rambler and all this fans' raving about it - hence my posts about it.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:25

gotdablouse
They need to give him a second slot, Can't you Hear me Knocking comes to mind, that would bring the crown to its knees, guaranteed.

Anyway I'll probably post these in their own thread so that they're not buried here, but here's some of what I got the other day :

The Man is Back :

Mick T. and Ronnie :

Ronnie digging Mick T's licks...

...Keith too !

Mick T. keeping an eye on Mick J.

Mick and Mick :

Mick Taylor, Keith and Charlie :

Los Trios Guitarreros 1 :

Los Trios Guitarreros 2 :

Thank you so much for the AMAZING PICS! They all look relaxed ... no need to bash MT anyway, it was just great!

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:43

Great pictures. That's a lot of LP firepower on stage - nice to see.

This show featured the most LP playing since the early/mid 70's maybe? Keith's JR sounds great on the clips I've heard.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:57

great version and good pix
thanks
jeroen

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 17:59

I wonder now if the GLIMMER TWINS will now pay MT the royalties owed to him since 1982?

Ouch touchy feely subject

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 27, 2012 18:17

I bet MT will play on an other song for the next show
I bet on Moonlight Mile

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 27, 2012 18:19

I love the band with Taylor immensely, just a slightly little less than the band with Wood and the one with Jones. As I wrote somewhere else, those who criticize Taylor's playing with the Stones last night, don't know nothing about music and human beings in general.

Taylor playing Rambler was a dream come true.

C

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 27, 2012 18:54

Yes for me a dream come true because I was to young to see him play with Stones. Taylor made the stones a bluesy rockin band and after listening to all the boots you get to see him live enrich the song and he takes the band on a wonderful ride on stage. That is one special moment in time that we can all share now. How can anyone be critical of his playing. He probably did not even rehearse and they told him to show up and play.

We all saw him Play The Guitar Boy.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:27

Great video just posted to Taylor's Facebook page. Sorry if a double.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:46

liddas
I love the band with Taylor immensely, just a slightly little less than the band with Wood and the one with Jones. As I wrote somewhere else, those who criticize Taylor's playing with the Stones last night, don't know nothing about music and human beings in general.

Taylor playing Rambler was a dream come true.

C

Well Liddas it wasn't a criticism on my part, more of an observation from a) being there and b) watching & listening to the videos. I have been playing guitar for best part of 20 odd years so I'd like to think I know a little about playing in a band.

You can't imagine how happy I was that he was there playing with the Stones but for me he didn't cut it.....not saying that I could have done any better....or for that matter running around the stage like loony showing off coz I was playing with the greatest band ever.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:47

Many thanks to Too much for me and Silver for their videos and to Gotdablouse for his wonderful pics!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:51

many thanks to toomuchforme and SilverDagger for their clips and those of
you posting the great pictures.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:55

Wish list for a future permanent (I hope so) Mick Taylor-section:

Sway

Time Waits For No One

Dead Flowers

Beast Of Burden

Moonlight Mile

Angie

Wild Horses

YCAGWYW

Winter

100 Years Ago

Hide Your Love

Silver Train

Coming Down Again

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:02

While it was wonderful to see MT on stage with the Stones I think he over did it on MR. The essence of this song remains the core riff from Keith which MT appeared to just drown out. While all I have heard/seen is the video, Taylor just took over the song to the extent that the rest of the band seemed unsure where he was going. I think when/if this is played again Thurday MT will be a little more restrained and work better within the context of the song. It can only get better. Hope MT plays ALl Down The Line.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:33

I watch again and again this video. I'm so glad to see again Mick Taylor playing with the band, I'm so happy for him too.

Thanks to the boys for inviting him.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:33

Anyone notice at 8.01 MT gives Keith a thank you kiss( thats what seems to be)

play the guitar boy

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:42

Super photos Gotdablouse !

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:42

This proves (to me anyway) that Taylor has been the missing ingredient in The Stones "proper' sound for many, many years. He almost makes the rest of their performance that night superfluous. Taylor brings the fire to the song(s) that Keith and Ronnie simply can't produce anymore. To me it's all about Taylor now. He needs to be on-stage "Killing It" for every song that he did in the studio with them, and the more the better as far as I'm concerned. I was definitely a Taylorite before and now I am 10 times the Taylorite I was. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Only Mick Taylor can save this band.... and to a degree he already has. Without Taylor this show would just be another in a long line of examples of how far The Stones have fallen from their peak. God Bless Mick Taylor.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:53

Duane in Houston
This proves (to me anyway) that Taylor has been the missing ingredient in The Stones "proper' sound for many, many years. He almost makes the rest of their performance that night superfluous. Taylor brings the fire to the song(s) that Keith and Ronnie simply can't produce anymore. To me it's all about Taylor now. He needs to be on-stage "Killing It" for every song that he did in the studio with them, and the more the better as far as I'm concerned. I was definitely a Taylorite before and now I am 10 times the Taylorite I was. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Only Mick Taylor can save this band.... and to a degree he already has. Without Taylor this show would just be another in a long line of examples of how far The Stones have fallen from their peak. God Bless Mick Taylor.

He's the cure for the vegas sound, his sound takes them far away from it. thumbs up

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 27, 2012 20:53

toomuchforme
here is my shot

Toomuchforme, that's a hell of a job. Thanks for having immortalising those outstanding 10 minutes , long awaited by thousands of fans all over the planet. A version that will be in the marble like "Brussels".

Beaucoup, beaucoup mieux qu'espéré, JF. Le son est génial comme le cadrage. On les attendait ces minutes.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 27, 2012 21:11

RobertJohnson

Sway

Time Waits For No One

Dead Flowers

Beast Of Burden

Moonlight Mile

Angie

Wild Horses

YCAGWYW

Winter

100 Years Ago

Hide Your Love

Silver Train

Coming Down Again

Hello? What about CYHMK?!

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 21:33

71Tele

great way of putting it , exactly what's been missing for a few decades, though overall the stones are back where the belong, . . dangerous , i like it !

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: November 27, 2012 21:36

RobertJohnson

Sway

Time Waits For No One

Dead Flowers

Beast Of Burden

Moonlight Mile

Angie

Wild Horses

YCAGWYW

Winter

100 Years Ago

Hide Your Love

Silver Train

Coming Down Again

Beast Of Burden, really??

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 21:37

straycatblues73
71Tele

great way of putting it , exactly what's been missing for a few decades, though overall the stones are back where the belong, . . dangerous , i like it !

"Making them sound dangerous again" ....yes I agree with that, good way of putting it, tele

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home