Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:56

Congratulations Silver Dagger. You did it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:15

Thanks SilverDagger! Suggestion: your phone takes great video, so there has got to be a mic sensitivity setting.

Despite MT's somewhat reckless performance, an energy emerges with his presence that totally changes the dynamic of the band. He makes the music and the band STRONGER. He is not going to be throwing his arms up at the audience, chumming with Keith, RATHER is he a formidable force that transcends the entire experience. I even think his presence heightens MJ's performance.

Brings to mind an interview with Lennon, when he said that after meeting Paul McC, Lennon had to make a decision as to whether or not let a strong, potentially competing presence in the band. He made the decision to make the band "stronger."

That's pretty much the same thing that happens when Mick Taylor shows up.

Date: November 27, 2012 13:25

Thanks for uploading that, why all the Taylor hate?

I thought it was GREAT! All Ican tell you from playing that song live decades ago when I was young back in the 1800s is there is really not much room for a solo until the end run to the finish line, it all depends on how long you want to drag the last part out, Iam sure they have a time schedule and cannot do a massive solo at the end these days. Taylor added colorful raunch blues fills in between the verses, something I miss hearin on that tune for decades. I noticed he busted out some slide also, whats to complain about?? For 1 tune they were breaking away from Vegas Stones, IT WAS GREAT! As for his rock star posing, I bet after all those years he wanted to play with Keith again, after all those smoke filled club gigs and getting on a major league stage again I bet his adrenaline was in overdrive, dont chastize him. Good Lord, if that was me and I was up there I would probably just start speaking in tongues and furiously pleasuring myself. I did not notice any animosity towards him, looked like Ronnie was helping him out a bit. I bet with a couple rehersals he will be blistering his set or song. Just watch.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:35

Thanks for the video, Silver Dagger

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:38

It's a difficult one this and having watched it several times I'm still kind of split on what I think. We all know Taylor is a sublime guitarist on his day, for me, he moved around a little too much which was detrimental to his playing - if I didn't know better I'd say he was on something smiling smiley. On the other hand, he's waited years for this opportunity and maybe the nerves along with the excitement and enthusiasm took over. He isn't a wealthy man like the others on that stage and perhaps he thought he could raise his profile and grabbed the opportunity in the hope it will pay back later. I wouldn't blame him for this as he has had a raw deal from the Glimmers over the years and is quite bitter about it (or was at a show I saw him play in the 80's.)

Overall, I thought it was fantastic to have him on the stage with the band and he did play some great blues licks and as many have said, if he gets a few more gigs with them I would expect he will settle into his role and we will see and hear even greater things from him. Let's face it over the years we have seen both Keith and Ronnie fall victim to similar performances!

Posted by: folke ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:39

Did Mick Taylor det a proper introduction? I guess 20 percent or higher didn't know who he was or recognize him.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:56

Hope Ronnie will remember the lesson smiling smiley

Date: November 27, 2012 13:57

rockflo

Coucou ton Zézé et tout le monde

J'y étais...!!! Je confirme pour le prix des places, on pouvait s'en procurer a des prix plus raisonnables que ce qui a été annoncé pour faire monter la polémique comme d'hab !!!
Lorsque nous sommes entrés dans l'Arena on s'est pris une claque en voyant la beauté de la scène....
Ok il a fallu un peu faire chauffer le diesel pendant quelques morceaux et faire des réglage de balance. Mais ensuite la magie opére toujours. Jeff Beck a contribué a lancé la machine, et que dire de ce magique Midnight Rambler avec Mick Taylor. C'était vraiment un grand guitariste...!!! Certains diront de poids maintenant... mais il n'a rien perdu de son talent... Il y a eu de très bons moments, Ok Keith Richards n'est pas dans une forme olympique mais franchement je m'attendais à pire. J'ai bien apprécié son Happy, meme si je suis d'accord parfois il y a des accords étranges qui trainent pour les oreilles averties...

Le rappel grandiose de You can't always get what you want avec cette chorale féminine, et une très bonne version de Jumpin' Jack Flash ou je me suis éclatée avant de finir sardinée dans le métro des décibels plein la tete...!!!
Je n'avais jamais vu les STONES en live, pour moi c'était trop tard depuis 30 ans !!! Et puis la, j'ai réfléchi... c'était vraiment la dernière ligne droite... les 50 ans, 62 une année qui me concerne aussi...!!! Tout était réuni, les guests, l'anniversaire et moi aussi qui prend de l'age.... Je n'ai pas regretté, je leur pardonne les quelques ratages.

Ils ont fait le show et pas à l'économie...certains ironiseront la dessus !!! Moi je suis Happy, d'avoir entendu Keith me la chanter... Je n'ai qu'une vie et je la remercie de m'avoir donnée l'amour du Rock... Les Stones font partie de cette légende, ok ils sont agés mais rien n'est a renié !!!
It's only Rock'n'roll but I LOVE it !!!!
Je vous embrasse.

[www.blogger.com]

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 27, 2012 14:08

It will be great when and if we get some sound boards boots from this ...it is unfair to judge too much on what is picked up on phones in that sort of venue.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it was as good as the Get Yer Ya Ya's out performance but I'll happily stand corrected if it does indeed turn out to be.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2012 14:13

paulm
Thanks SilverDagger! Suggestion: your phone takes great video, so there has got to be a mic sensitivity setting.

Despite MT's somewhat reckless performance, an energy emerges with his presence that totally changes the dynamic of the band. He makes the music and the band STRONGER. He is not going to be throwing his arms up at the audience, chumming with Keith, RATHER is he a formidable force that transcends the entire experience. I even think his presence heightens MJ's performance.

Brings to mind an interview with Lennon, when he said that after meeting Paul McC, Lennon had to make a decision as to whether or not let a strong, potentially competing presence in the band. He made the decision to make the band "stronger."

That's pretty much the same thing that happens when Mick Taylor shows up.

Never heard of a mic sensitivity setting. It's a Samsung Galaxy 2. I just checked but can't see any such control for the mic.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 27, 2012 14:41

He wasnt bad but very nervous and they didnt seem to have rehearsed. The song is about interaction/play between Mick and Keith; Keith and Taylor and with with Bill being the wobbling soul of the Rambler. If you cut off Bill or Taylor the dramatic killer song becomes something else. Keith cant play Rambler anymore and I think it's part brain but on this one also the fingers. Those delicate things he did all those years ago arent possible anymore. Disjointed.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 27, 2012 14:53

Wow. Fantastic version of MR. One of the best I've heard. Just raw guitar playing and drums banging and Mick's singing was brilliantly minimalistic (no overacting this time if you know what I mean). Also Keith looks very much concentrating on guitar playing rather than leg stretching.

Thank you Mick T for joining at least to play one song. And thank you Silver Dagger for the video...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 14:56 by Single Malt.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:01

Come on, it's a great, affectionate and spirited performance by all. The whole gig has a lovely vibe to it, Taylors slot is particularly special.

Date: November 27, 2012 15:03

One thing is certain, Mick Taylor is still a great guitarist, able, for his part, to transcend the Stones on stage...

Ron Wood no, since many many years.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:07

I believe too that we should not underestimate how huge this concert and occasion was compared to Mick's normal surroundings. It couldn't have been a comfortable situation but he still put on an energetic and inspired perfromance

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:11

I love it whem MT tells the soundguys to TURN UP the @#$%& volume!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 15:11 by TooTough.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:11

As I watched the video of Rambler I thought I saw Jagger find another gear. Taylor seemed to push the entire band out of their comfort zone. Wood - always known as the sympathetic one is typically deferential to Mr. Keef. Taylor never seemed to labor under such duress. I smiled the through the entire 12 minutes - thinking - that is what I've been missing since he left in 74. If Gazza says it might have been the greatest thing he's witnessed at a Rolling Stones' concert - that's good enough for me. To all the Taylor haters out there - I don't get it.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:13

MT's performance was a bit ragged but I can't fault him. He injected heaps of energy and growl into a song that has been lacklustre in its live outings for many years. Can't wait to hear a soundboard. Hats off to MT.

Just a thought - for Thursdays show, switch MT to Gimme Shelter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 15:16 by Father Ted.

Date: November 27, 2012 15:15

Mick Taylor succeed in shaking up the band. And Jagger perfectly feel it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 15:20 by roby.

Date: November 27, 2012 15:16

roby
Shawn20
As I watched the video of Rambler I thought I saw Jagger find another gear. Taylor seemed to push the entire band out of their comfort zone. Wood - always known as the sympathetic one is typically deferential to Mr. Keef. Taylor never seemed to labor under such duress. I smiled the through the entire 12 minutes - thinking - that is what I've been missing since he left in 74. If Gazza says it might have been the greatest thing he's witnessed at a Rolling Stones' concert - that's good enough for me. To all the Taylor haters out there - I don't get it.

Amen smiling smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:21

Shawn20
As I watched the video of Rambler I thought I saw Jagger find another gear.

I thinks so.

Mick is great on that video.

I only hope I have as much energy as him come 69.

I don't have that much now!

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:28

Midnight Rambler is in my opinion one of the best Stones song played live.Very energetic but precise -this song is like tiger just before attack .Iviting MT for this song wasn`t good decision.His tone is beautifull but as always he plays too many notes , excuse me Taylor fans ...Why not Moonlight Mile ?Sway ? Overall t was something memorable and Taylor deserves kind of tribute from his old rich buddies.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:36

Video was great, thank you.

It's amazing that, when the Stones use 3 guitars, there's an added dimension. Consider Keith, Mick Taylor, and Ronnie on I've Got my Own Album To Do, or Keith, Ronnie, and Jimmy Page on One Hit (To The Body).

I just wonder whether Midnight Rambler was a nice tip of the hat to Brussels Affair ?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:40

I don't remember ever seeing Taylor roam the stage in any videos I've seen from 1969 to 1973 tours. Unless the more rabid followers of his playing can point it out. He was totally out of character.

So you have to wonder what was his motivation for all that movement and stalking of Mick. Some say nerves, but I don't entirely buy it. He is a professional musician. Nerves would have affected his playing not made him try to be Angus Young.

I think he had a score to settle, whether it be resentment, or a salute to his fan base, or maybe even a statement of the musical direction of the guitar playing in the band. I'm still trying to figure it out but time will certainly tell.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:47

His Majesty
toomuchforme
here is my shot

Woah! He overplays a bit and fluffs some stuff here and there, but damn a man in his element! What a difference he makes to the quality and energy of the band. Just like 1969 he gives them EXACTLY what they need. hot smiley

Clearly he was fired up for this! A point was made and beautifully so. I got goosebumps watching/listeneing to that!

No need for backing singers and all that other jazz with the three stones guitar attack. I think it would be a real shame to not explore this approach more officially.

I have underestimated this man big time. Tip 'o' the hat to you Mick Taylor.

smileys with beer

Lil sad observation... seeing Keith, Mick and Ronnie onstage side by side, what a damn shame Brian isn't alive to join them.

Great post, His M. smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:56

They need to give him a second slot, Can't you Hear me Knocking comes to mind, that would bring the crown to its knees, guaranteed.

Anyway I'll probably post these in their own thread so that they're not buried here, but here's some of what I got the other day :

The Man is Back :

Mick T. and Ronnie :

Ronnie digging Mick T's licks...

...Keith too !

Mick T. keeping an eye on Mick J.

Mick and Mick :

Mick Taylor, Keith and Charlie :

Los Trios Guitarreros 1 :

Los Trios Guitarreros 2 :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:57

Great as the whole MT thing is I just love watching Jagger strut for 12 minutes.

He sure defies all logic sometimes....

Posted by: howled ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:58

My notes about some of the comments.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Stones loosely work out the stage moves with the guests.

The Stones are putting on a show, you know.

When Jeff Beck comes on they do a huddle sort of thing with Jeff being the man.

With Taylor, Keith and Ron take a back seat and let Taylor have his moment and it's all loosely worked out and Taylor wasn't just called up out of the blue on the night either.

It becomes more of a lead/rhythm deal with Taylor.

I think Taylor's playing is ok and pretty good in some parts but it's hard to judge totally because of the audio quality.

It is a late 60s/early 70s Blues/Rock style that Taylor is playing btw and so that's what it is.

This clip shows Taylor better than the earlier clip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 16:04 by howled.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 27, 2012 16:00

It's almost as if they never rehearsed this.

Taylor clearly is amazing, but its sloppy and if someone tells him to be more selective where and when he drops in, which hopefully happens in a video review session with him, this can become magical if they okay all 6 shows together as rumored?

Yes, I agree he should play on a few songs too.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 27, 2012 16:18

smokeydusky
Thanks for all the videos and firsthand reviews. It's great to actually be excited by a You Tube video or two.

It was a complete and thrilling surprise that Jagger included Taylor in a 12 minute song, let him have so much physical and musical space and actually interacted with Taylor on stage. Overall, glorious to see and hear.

Some alternative views:
1. Why MR? I think MR was chosen to "recapture" the Brussels official bootleg version. Taylor's approach, including his playing something like Richards' solo from that show and the slide interlude, suggest this was the target.
2. Taylor taking over the stage? Jagger seems to have tried to choreograph some interaction with Taylor in advance. It is not clear from the first full video posted, but on the Sici video you see them leaning on each other and hear Taylor aping some of Jagger's lines. It's difficult to believe this was spontaneous. At some point, Jagger points to Taylor and gestures that Taylor should carry on himself. This part of the choreography hasn't been worked out though. After trying to re-engage Jagger a few times, Taylor joins the guitars in the back. To me, he doesn't look lost.
3. Facetime? I don't think Taylor was "getting in Wood's face". He clearly wanted Wood to interact with some lead lines at various times but Wood was having none of it. (Check out the very end.) I prefer to take the view that it was gracious of Wood to leave the entire limelight to Taylor, something Wood and Richards seem to have resolved in advance. (Wood even seemed to ignore Jagger's gesture that Wood should play along with Taylor.)
4. It seems there were very limited rehearsals of this spot. Even the opening, where Richards directs Jagger, Wood and Taylor to collaborate on an introduction seems confused.

Perhaps my ears are playing tricks, but it sounded to me like Taylor often played in a scale different from how he typically played MR in the 70s. At least some of those "off notes" others identified may just be "different notes".

Still, great to see and hear.
Phil, if you're watching from up there, I hope you've got a You Tube connection and are smiling.

thanks to Silver Dagger (and TooMuch For Me) for posting these clips...

smokeydusky - i think you descibed it well.

I still believe this will come to be known in Stones history as one of the most intriguing events they've had on stage

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home