Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:19

or your wife

Date: November 27, 2012 08:20

do you get it, not funny, is it.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:22

lapaz62
hey, it aint as fat as your mother.

Sorry, I didnt mean to say "elephant" in that he looked like one - I meant the way he was coming on. I should have said bull in a china shop.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:24

Better, thank you.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:26

Nobody knows if he did it at the rehearsal and the other guys said do it. He only had the one song, maybe they just told him, go for it.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:37

TimeIs

That's not the problem. The problem was that it was near horrendous and his ego (or something) was exploding all over the stage.

MT hasn't played with this band for 40 years and is expected to get on stage in front of 20,000 people, heck I would imagine he'd give it his all. I admit it was strange seeing MT take center stage. My guess is this meant a lot to him and he really wanted to show he still has it. Give it a couple more shows and you'll see MT mesh more with the band and smooth out a bit.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:53

TimeIs
BustedButton
and he still plays like it's 1973...

???

This is a style I find resonant with 73. He is not as practiced as he was back then, but his style has not changed.

Look at the level of difficulty... You will never get a "Vegas" show out of MT.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:24

Here's my version...finally (for what it's worth).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 11:49 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:40

Poor Mick....must have been hard for him to find the right way to perform with his former mates.....after almost 40 years...12 min.
I hope he has a peaceful living and enough money to have a decent normal life.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:01

Silver Dagger
Here's my version...fianlly (for what it's worth).

Thanks you, Silver, for that one! And I can clearly see Ronnie und Keith smiling, something like: "Look at him, he´s going nuts ..."! Love it!thumbs up

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:09

During Midnight Rambler, besides his natural talent, Mick Taylor shows here, as he has always done with the Stones, that he is also a applied guitarist, who plays and fills the sound space. Ronnie prefers too often raise his arms and say hello to the public ...

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:10

Thanks for all the videos and firsthand reviews. It's great to actually be excited by a You Tube video or two.

It was a complete and thrilling surprise that Jagger included Taylor in a 12 minute song, let him have so much physical and musical space and actually interacted with Taylor on stage. Overall, glorious to see and hear.

Some alternative views:
1. Why MR? I think MR was chosen to "recapture" the Brussels official bootleg version. Taylor's approach, including his playing something like Richards' solo from that show and the slide interlude, suggest this was the target.
2. Taylor taking over the stage? Jagger seems to have tried to choreograph some interaction with Taylor in advance. It is not clear from the first full video posted, but on the Sici video you see them leaning on each other and hear Taylor aping some of Jagger's lines. It's difficult to believe this was spontaneous. At some point, Jagger points to Taylor and gestures that Taylor should carry on himself. This part of the choreography hasn't been worked out though. After trying to re-engage Jagger a few times, Taylor joins the guitars in the back. To me, he doesn't look lost.
3. Facetime? I don't think Taylor was "getting in Wood's face". He clearly wanted Wood to interact with some lead lines at various times but Wood was having none of it. (Check out the very end.) I prefer to take the view that it was gracious of Wood to leave the entire limelight to Taylor, something Wood and Richards seem to have resolved in advance. (Wood even seemed to ignore Jagger's gesture that Wood should play along with Taylor.)
4. It seems there were very limited rehearsals of this spot. Even the opening, where Richards directs Jagger, Wood and Taylor to collaborate on an introduction seems confused.

Perhaps my ears are playing tricks, but it sounded to me like Taylor often played in a scale different from how he typically played MR in the 70s. At least some of those "off notes" others identified may just be "different notes".

Still, great to see and hear.
Phil, if you're watching from up there, I hope you've got a You Tube connection and are smiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 14:12 by smokeydusky.

Date: November 27, 2012 10:17

This last clip gives a different perspective and nothing to complain about except the odd bung note. Woods and Richards seem happy to sit back and enjoy the show.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:32

Silver Dagger

Holy shit. Just made a brief look at 'what's going on in Stones world', and this comes up.

The Stones laways have a good thing going on when playing this number - and for that brief moment they forget their Vegas essence and play with full heart and soul - but this goes to another level altogether. They are hittng to the zone of 'dangerous', and they sound, you know The Rolling @#$%& Stones, man...

Damn, let me try to write through these tears... not just the phenomenal, majesic Taylor here - who plays sloppier and making more mistakes than he did during the whole 1973 tor, but still giving them instrumental genious they haven't seen since, yep, 1973 - it is the whole damn band. Keith facing Charlie and keeping the damn rhythmn down-down-down, and leaving all the stupid posings out, and being what he does best in his life: being the musical leader of The Rolling Stones who shines when the band shines. That moment in the very end when they make the last rhythn change, and Taylor, Richards and Watts showing signals to each other (well, Keith actually), Jagger's elastic silhuette in back... that's 'my' Stones. Charlie is Charlie and Jagger finally has learned to perform the song right during 'Vegas' Era (leaving certain cliches out), and just lives the music through his body, and is simply phenomenal.

I think the filming being technically not too perfect doesn't matter at all. It is like listening to some old bootleg from Taylor era; it adds some funny magic - mysterious feeling or aura that always been a part of the Stones charm. This band, and anything related to it, doesn't need to be 'polished' or 'perfect'. This is the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Couldn't have imagined they actually could be, after all these years, so phenomenal. (Only Wyman missing to make it really dangerous soundwise, but you can't alw..blahblahblah)

Thank you very much, Silver Dagger - if this turns out to be the last 'current' thing I will ever had from The Stones, it will leave a very nice taste in mouth.

And yeah - about the real star in this clip - does Taylor over-play or not, who cares, "play that guitar boy"!!!! For all those wasted years! (And hats off to Woodie for showing respect and staying out of the way, and letting the 'big boys' handle the game).

Now continue.thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 10:39 by Doxa.

Date: November 27, 2012 10:36

that's 'my' Stones

Doxa, thanks. Mine too smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:40

The boy did good, real good and allowed us a glimpse of a more biting, powerful stones that has been missing for decades! thumbs up

Yes, Doxa is back! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 10:45 by His Majesty.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:41

stonesnow
His Majesty
stonesnow
His Majesty
stonesnow
It's great that The Stones have so many living members--past and present--to recall their glory years like that, and that they're all alive and well and still able to play. Not many bands from that era can boast 6 living members.... in fact, I can't even think offhand of one other such band from that era who can say that, can you?....

Kinda easier when you have atleast 6 to begin with and then go on and replace some people.

Not really. How many left from the original Grateful Dead? The band Love are all gone. Only 1 or 2 left from The Band. The mortality rate among the main acts from that era just seems rather high. Also, from more recent bands like the New York Dolls--just 2 out of 6 original members remain.

Besides, The Stones were a 6-piece band only before they began their recording career. To the public, they've always been a 5-piece outfit.

King Crimson, lots of surviving members.

Depending on who you count the list is as short or as long as you want it to be.

Back to Taylor with stones. grinning smiley

Good example, I hadn't thought of that one--but your list stops at one, which is my point after all.

It stops at one because I don't want to get in to it any further. thumbs up

Date: November 27, 2012 10:57

Once I have watched MR I can't honestly think that tickets were expensive. Wether I could afford the price is entirely a different issue...This MR is priceless.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:10

Put...in !!!!
I've been waiting 40 years for that; and it should have been the way to be!!

Thousands thanks to give me (us) the pleasure to see that.
Mille fois merci.
Maremma

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:37

71Tele
stonesfrkk
Hey I'm glad everyone over the pond is having a great time! Anyway I read a few post's on this Taylor thing and i had to check it out of course! It was wonderful seeing Taylor back up on stage and the Stones obvisiously playing very good, Taylor had some unbelievable riffs through out the song but as allways he self destruct's himself by going over the #$@#%$# Top! Period! Keef was way uncomfortable in some spot's but when Jagger has to take the mike and drop it to his waist like can we get into the groove of this song and drop the tempo when it's time to drop the tempo or is this the Mick Taylor show again and again he's like a child that never got enough attention. Period! i mean he's in Ronnie's rface he's in Keith's face and Jagger's face it's just plain Weird! We know your a great guitar player Taylor but please mesh with the band when you play! It's supposed to be fun man. another thing Woody is'nt even allowed on Keef's side so that was like Taylor saying FU to Keef just going for the hog show like his normal self if he slow the tempo when the band wanted to slow the tempo and pick it back again and again it would of been insane. Tatlor is just a blow it, you can see it all over the whole video he point's over to his guitar tech and point's up the turn the $#%$#@$ thing all the way up with a marshall to boot. I would be surprised if he even comes back for the next show but it probably on contract and the Stones are doing there 50th mini tour so i don't think they give a $#%#. It was way cool at the begining but if you watch it 2 or 3 times you'll see what is up and you can make your own observation!

Points taken away for overuse of exclamation points and not understanding that just because a word ends in the letter "s" it doesn't mean you put an apostrophe before it. "Self destructs", not "self destruct's". He "points", not "point's". And what does the sentence "Tatlor is just a blow it" mean exactly? If you had a point (or "point's", as you say) it would have been better conveyed in English.

Incomprehensible.

Tele, I always enjoy your posts, but not this one. Chances are this new member's first language is not English, and if so, he is doing a brilliant job in communicating. Struggling as I do with second and third languages, and appreciating the tolerance shown to me, I am always in awe of the language skills of our non-anglophone IORR members.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:38

Have waited all day to see this and it's great! People keep talking about him being too loud or overplaying, it was a guest spot on 1 single track. So who cares?! Fantastic to see, and a nice hug and applause from Keith at the end. Very encouraging to see Mick Taylor so into it! Good on him! And thanks to the Stones for making it happen, what a wonderful gesture.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:43

StonesBlake

MT hasn't played with this band for 40 years

31 years. December 14, 1981, Kansas City.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:48

Doxa
Silver Dagger

Holy shit. Just made a brief look at 'what's going on in Stones world', and this comes up.

The Stones laways have a good thing going on when playing this number - and for that brief moment they forget their Vegas essence and play with full heart and soul - but this goes to another level altogether. They are hittng to the zone of 'dangerous', and they sound, you know The Rolling @#$%& Stones, man...

Damn, let me try to write through these tears... not just the phenomenal, majesic Taylor here - who plays sloppier and making more mistakes than he did during the whole 1973 tor, but still giving them instrumental genious they haven't seen since, yep, 1973 - it is the whole damn band. Keith facing Charlie and keeping the damn rhythmn down-down-down, and leaving all the stupid posings out, and being what he does best in his life: being the musical leader of The Rolling Stones who shines when the band shines. That moment in the very end when they make the last rhythn change, and Taylor, Richards and Watts showing signals to each other (well, Keith actually), Jagger's elastic silhuette in back... that's 'my' Stones. Charlie is Charlie and Jagger finally has learned to perform the song right during 'Vegas' Era (leaving certain cliches out), and just lives the music through his body, and is simply phenomenal.

I think the filming being technically not too perfect doesn't matter at all. It is like listening to some old bootleg from Taylor era; it adds some funny magic - mysterious feeling or aura that always been a part of the Stones charm. This band, and anything related to it, doesn't need to be 'polished' or 'perfect'. This is the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Couldn't have imagined they actually could be, after all these years, so phenomenal. (Only Wyman missing to make it really dangerous soundwise, but you can't alw..blahblahblah)

Thank you very much, Silver Dagger - if this turns out to be the last 'current' thing I will ever had from The Stones, it will leave a very nice taste in mouth.

And yeah - about the real star in this clip - does Taylor over-play or not, who cares, "play that guitar boy"!!!! For all those wasted years! (And hats off to Woodie for showing respect and staying out of the way, and letting the 'big boys' handle the game).

Now continue.thumbs up

- Doxa

Great to hear from you Doxa. And sorry we didn't meet up for that beer. You still got 2 days to make it down to the 02 for the next show though.

I guess the video does have a fuzzy logic about it. It's one of those songs that you can easily lose yourself in as the rhythm starts pumping up and the adrenaline starts to flow. It's also nice to see the emotions of the players on that big screen. I really hope they bring out a DVD of this gig.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:48

Of course, MT on Midnight Rambler was not as smooth and polished as Buddy Guy on Champagne and Reefer. A combination of poor song choice, awkwardness and possibly stage fright was the likely cause. But it was still a joy to see.

But I feel sure that, given the right material where he could shine, and more hours rehearsing, MT could lift the RS to new heights. Hope he is given the chance!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:52

Mick Taylor even out posed Ronnie and Keith. Turn up for the books.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:09

MT's performance seems to be without any rehearsing. Although he is a genius on guitar he overplays here and tries to paper over the cracks I think. There is no organic interplay between the three guitarists. Mick Taylors guitar is hovering over Ronnie's and Keith's. But let us wait on a soundboard recording or an official release.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:11

What moved me most is the way Keith, Ron, Jagger and MT are getting along and let Taylor (and Jeff, like him or not) do his thing. Darryl Jones and Watts doing their work. I hear and see emotion and fun, in the end that's all what matters. These guys deserve respect.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:18

Ok for me I was really pleased to see MT come out and play......and that's the problem he didn't really. He moved around the stage in a kind of 'look at me' kind of way and didn't pay enough attention to his playing which was often off time and in the wrong key. He kind of spoiled it for me trying to take over and dominate the stage. To me he made himself look a bit of a jerk and in hindsight I'm sure he'll realise. If he came out and just stood there and played properly and listened to what the other musicians were playing then I'm sure it would have been better.

As for the need to rehearse the song with the band.....not sure that he does..he just needs to listen rather than play all over the song.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: November 27, 2012 12:18

Love Mick Taylor intervention at 3', in a John Lee Hooker and Rory Gallagher spirit.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:36

Just wanna say thanks to Silver Dagger a) for recording and b) managing to upload the video...It was worth it in the end. Thank you.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home