Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 28, 2012 18:52

Rokyfan
Bliss
The question is..do you want to see MT with the Stones again, for as long as the band continues?

If the answer is NO, by all means, carry on with these criticisms of his performance. They are sure to have the desired effect.

What?

You think what is said here has an iota of influence over what the Rolling Stones do?

be serious. And if they continue on tour, he is not joining up, he was/is a special guest.

What would YOU know? You've been here for three days.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 28, 2012 18:58

Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss
The question is..do you want to see MT with the Stones again, for as long as the band continues?

If the answer is NO, by all means, carry on with these criticisms of his performance. They are sure to have the desired effect.

What?

You think what is said here has an iota of influence over what the Rolling Stones do?

be serious. And if they continue on tour, he is not joining up, he was/is a special guest.

That has nothing to do with anything.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:00

GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss

What?

but does it have to do with something?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:02

It's funny that the anti-Taylorites always criticized him for "just standing there", "not moving", and "being boring". So, he moves and prowls the stage and some of the same folks criticize him for that. He can't win it seems.

Date: November 28, 2012 19:04

71Tele
It's funny that the anti-Taylorites always criticized him for "just standing there", "not moving", and "being boring". So, he moves and prowls the stage and some of the same folks criticize him for that. He can't win it seems.

not enough leg kicks and maybe if he ran round charlie's drum-kit a couple of times with a goofy face it would help things.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:12

Edward Twining
carlorossi
71Tele
Some great comments here. No doubt some people still prefer the safe Vegas-era Stones and are uncomfortable with Taylor's performance. Does he overplay at times? Yes. Is he a bit ragged in places? Yes. Was he nervous? Possibly. Did he want to make a statement? Definitely!

Agree with your take, sort of. MR was one of the few songs that they've managed to NOT play like the "Vegas Stones". They really tear it up. CindyC remarked in another thread how Keith's body language during the song was rude to MT. I think he was just trying to keep it all on time with Taylor subconciously trying to speed it up. Not easy. No knock on Taylor, he was justifiably an excitable boy.

Yes, well this is the point. Taylor took the Stones very much out of the "Vegas Stones" comfort zone, and in doing so, he created a level of spontaneity and raw energy, which has rarely been seen within the Rolling Stones performances for at least the last three decades. He shook things up quite considerably. Keith has needed a challenge for so very long, and because he needs to prove he can still hold his own with whoever, Taylor makes for him very enlightening company. My thoughts concerning Taylor's performance is technically it was no masterclass, in fact there were moments when his playing veered towards being plain embarrassing - he sounded quite out of tune at one point, although Taylor redeemed himself also pretty much with some wonderful jazzy/bluesy licks. Just a flicker of magic here and there made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, which is a feeling i haven't had properly with the Stones since Taylor left the group in 74. Even his less inspiring moments found the Stones sounding dangerous, raw and exciting, which should be in truth, the essence of a Stones live performance. Taylor struck me as lacking practice, as in rehearsal time, almost as though he had come on stage fresh off the street. He needs to fully reaquaint himself with those songs and integrate himself a little more with the band, so there is a little more musical empathy. However, his ability remains intact, if not his level of consistency, but there's nothing missing that a degree of practice can't rectify. I felt the band themselves, and especially Jagger, raised their game, with the fresh injection of energy Taylor brought to proceedings.

cool, Edward, glad to hear your perspective. I've refused to watch the video and have just been reading the comments. The Wall Street Journal had a review of the concert and gave a very good review of MR and Taylor's contribution. If ya'll recall Taylor's first performance with the Stones at Hyde Park, he was a bit rough there too, but by time they reached MSG in late 69 were quite tight.

Date: November 28, 2012 19:15

71Tele
I don't consider myself an "anti-Taylorite". I'm pro-good music. I don't care if Taylor stood there, walked around, did the running man, squats, whatever. If a special guest came out to play with the band I was seeing and they played a shit load of bad notes and dipped into the wrong key during a solo, I will call him out on it. I don't care who it is. If you're going to play in front of thousands and thousands of people in a major venue then you better bring your A game. Clearly Mick Taylor lost his A-game long time ago, which is fine, that's who he is. But when you clearly aren't at the top of your game anymore or anywhere near the top, I'm not going to put on my kool-aid glasses and say that he still is a killer guitarist who has the magic touch like some people here are. But hey, that's their opinion and I have mine. Like I said before, it was nice to at least see him play with the Stones again. Yes, his playing did consist of some good parts but the lousy stuff is unacceptable. But he is who he is.

Date: November 28, 2012 19:47

GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss

What?

Choices for the setlist have been influenced by the fan forums. And it is very possible that Mick T's and Bill's inclusion were a response to the desires expressed on IORR and elsewhere. But someone who has only arrived yesterday would not know that.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:49

I think some people just have different tastes. For me the Mick T performance goes down as legendary. Yes it was ragged, yes it was a bit 'out there'', i think for those that love it THAT'S THE POINT

The band have been doing this Vegas style safe shit for 30 years or so now. It was so nice to see some life injected back into the set. For me that's what RNR is all about, but granted that's not for everyone

Nothing would make me happier than to hear Mick T doing the same and more tomorrow

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:55

It was great to SEE MT with the Stone again, unfortunately it wasn't so great to HEAR him with them.

The moving around the stage was great though but he played terribly.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 28, 2012 19:57

GumbootCloggeroo
I don't consider myself an "anti-Taylorite". I'm pro-good music. I don't care if Taylor stood there, walked around, did the running man, squats, whatever. If a special guest came out to play with the band I was seeing and they played a shit load of bad notes and dipped into the wrong key during a solo, I will call him out on it. I don't care who it is. If you're going to play in front of thousands and thousands of people in a major venue then you better bring your A game. Clearly Mick Taylor lost his A-game long time ago, which is fine, that's who he is. But when you clearly aren't at the top of your game anymore or anywhere near the top, I'm not going to put on my kool-aid glasses and say that he still is a killer guitarist who has the magic touch like some people here are. But hey, that's their opinion and I have mine. Like I said before, it was nice to at least see him play with the Stones again. Yes, his playing did consist of some good parts but the lousy stuff is unacceptable. But he is who he is.

I've got to agree with this.

What is heartwarming to see is that the "Taylorites" apparently wear the exact type of blinders that the "Keith worshipers" used to (or still?) wear. And here we thought they were the most rational and and even-tempered of the bunch. Hardly!--they're just as forgiving to Taylor for his bum notes as fans of Keith were/are for his equally bummy notes during the last couple tours. Kinda nice to see that we're all cut from the same cloth!

A part of me is also very disappointed that most people on this board would label a song like "Midnight Rambler" as Vegas Stones even as they've performed it up to now. The song has basically been immune to the effects of "Vegas" Stones. And it has survived pretty well even without Taylor.

It concerns me that the presence of Mick Taylor--who came on and literally threw the song off its tracks (and not in a good way)-- would be someone people would label as the "cure" for the Vegas Stones WTF? I guess standards are all out the window once we get Taylor back, eh? Forget about arrangements or the quality of playing for the REST of the band--just as long as we get Taylor wailing away, eh? The fact that nobody noticed just how much of a domino effect Taylor created in his recklessness on this song is proof just how desperate people are to have him back even at the expense of the rest of the band and the music they're playing. Let's sacrifice five guys just so we could get back one!

And like you Gumboot, I don't consider myself "anti-Taylorite" in the slightest. There were many genuine moments of me geeking out and squealing in joy with a couple of Taylor's licks and it was utter joy to see him up there with his old band. He started out very strong but things began to unravel as he progressed. But I do want to call BS that this song is proof why the current Stones "don't work." If you wanted an under-rehearsed, over-noodling Guitar God who completely disregarded the music and played by his own rules---you had Keith in 2007! Where was the love then?

Date: November 28, 2012 20:30

GumbootCloggeroo
71Tele

Great. Except that every point you made about bad notes, wrong key, and not at the top of his game could be said about Ron Wood and Keith Richards for a good part of the last 20 years. And I have heard far worse from those two than anything Taylor did on Sunday. Why is Taylor alone held to a stricter standard?

Date: November 28, 2012 20:34

71Tele
GumbootCloggeroo
71Tele

Great. Except that every point you made about bad notes, wrong key, and not at the top of his game could be said about Ron Wood and Keith Richards for a good part of the last 20 years. And I have heard far worse from those two than anything Taylor did on Sunday. Why is Taylor alone held to a stricter standard?

it's the weighting factor...bum notes are weighted on heavier scale for mick. sad, but true....

Date: November 28, 2012 20:37

StonesTod
71Tele
GumbootCloggeroo
71Tele

it's the weighting factor...bum notes are weighted on heavier scale for mick. sad, but true....

The subject of Taylor's appearance seems to be a very weighty topic.

Sorry.

Date: November 28, 2012 21:00

Bliss
GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss

What?

Choices for the setlist have been influenced by the fan forums. And it is very possible that Mick T's and Bill's inclusion were a response to the desires expressed on IORR and elsewhere. But someone who has only arrived yesterday would not know that.
Just because someone registered their username yesterday doesn't mean they haven't been reading the forum for years and years.

Mick T. and Bill Wyman are former members of the band. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary. The Stones don't need a fan forum to come up with the idea to bring them back for a night. I'm pretty sure they were capable of that idea all on their own. And I'm pretty sure they are aware of how popular they are in the world and how many fans would love it if they returned. They didn't need to do research on the internet to figure that out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-28 21:01 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: November 28, 2012 21:23

Here's my MULTICAM video of Midnight Rambler

(I edited out the 2 bum notes in the first solowinking smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 28, 2012 21:29

Ah very nice--great to see the pit footage emerge for this song! Nice and upclose

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 28, 2012 21:37

GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss

What?

Just because someone registered their username yesterday doesn't mean they haven't been reading the forum for years and years.

Mick T. and Bill Wyman are former members of the band. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary. The Stones don't need a fan forum to come up with the idea to bring them back for a night. I'm pretty sure they were capable of that idea all on their own. And I'm pretty sure they are aware of how popular they are in the world and how many fans would love it if they returned. They didn't need to do research on the internet to figure that out.

yeah, i registered yesterday but I have read this board since BV started it. never posted here, used to post on UC all the time but that list has become a little insular. And I'm as eager to see Taylor as you are, having seen him only once, in NY in 72. Regardless, i think the idea that people should not criticize because it may affect what the Stones do is silly. That's all. And I do remember when the used the internet to influence the set, but they said so and took votes on a song for each show and i remember when the UC list actually got them to do Factory Girl at Giants stadium. But that has nothing to do with your point which, although common on internet boards not just for the Stones, is wishful thinking.

But if Taylor does something like a Sticky Fingers/Exile mini-set tomorrow, then maybe I'll change my tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-28 21:42 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 28, 2012 21:49

kevinkamphuis

So awesome thankyou for this.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2012 21:57

kevinkamphuis

Amazing job there Kevin. How many versions are there now?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 28, 2012 21:57

i was just listening to Ya Ya's. It would be great to hear them play Carol. They kick ass on that song.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: November 28, 2012 22:02

CindyC
i was just listening to Ya Ya's. It would be great to hear them play Carol. They kick ass on that song.

i thought you only cared about the social aspects of the band. you listen to their music, too??

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:05

StonesTod
CindyC

i thought you only cared about the social aspects of the band. you listen to their music, too??

no i don't, i just like Chuck Berry.

Date: November 28, 2012 22:11

GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss

What?

Oh of course...all due respect to veteran lurkers.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:26

Justin
GumbootCloggeroo

I've got to agree with this.

What is heartwarming to see is that the "Taylorites" apparently wear the exact type of blinders that the "Keith worshipers" used to (or still?) wear. And here we thought they were the most rational and and even-tempered of the bunch. Hardly!--they're just as forgiving to Taylor for his bum notes as fans of Keith were/are for his equally bummy notes during the last couple tours. Kinda nice to see that we're all cut from the same cloth!

A part of me is also very disappointed that most people on this board would label a song like "Midnight Rambler" as Vegas Stones even as they've performed it up to now. The song has basically been immune to the effects of "Vegas" Stones. And it has survived pretty well even without Taylor.

It concerns me that the presence of Mick Taylor--who came on and literally threw the song off its tracks (and not in a good way)-- would be someone people would label as the "cure" for the Vegas Stones WTF? I guess standards are all out the window once we get Taylor back, eh? Forget about arrangements or the quality of playing for the REST of the band--just as long as we get Taylor wailing away, eh? The fact that nobody noticed just how much of a domino effect Taylor created in his recklessness on this song is proof just how desperate people are to have him back even at the expense of the rest of the band and the music they're playing. Let's sacrifice five guys just so we could get back one!

And like you Gumboot, I don't consider myself "anti-Taylorite" in the slightest. There were many genuine moments of me geeking out and squealing in joy with a couple of Taylor's licks and it was utter joy to see him up there with his old band. He started out very strong but things began to unravel as he progressed. But I do want to call BS that this song is proof why the current Stones "don't work." If you wanted an under-rehearsed, over-noodling Guitar God who completely disregarded the music and played by his own rules---you had Keith in 2007! Where was the love then?

FFS Justin, really? Taylor hasnt played a real crowd since what, 1973? He's back in the Stones, clearly very very very nervous, yet had that perfect tone and was probably trying to hold that vibrato. I'm not impressed but only because I know he can play better meaning more focused and he has the tricks up his sleeve unlike Ronnie or Keith. Keiths role is to chew that riff like a mad dog but he hasnt done that since 1973 although I love his 1975 version. What's lacking is the Keith/Taylor; and Jagger interplay. This sounded like Taylor doing some bits and pieces, some good, many hints of greatness.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:58

Has this one been posted? Sorry if it has...it's my favourite of the lot. Great closeups, side stage...a band at work! Everyone is clearly having a great time...

[url=

][/url]

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:58

Silver Dagger
kevinkamphuis

Amazing job there Kevin. How many versions are there now?

There are 4 or 5 versions; I used 3 versions for this multicam. The pit footage is really great!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:01

Bliss
GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
GumbootCloggeroo
Bliss
Rokyfan
Bliss

What?

Oh of course...all due respect to veteran lurkers.

Ha ha thanks for that....been checking in now and then. Been loving the passion shown so want to post.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 23:30

Question: Why does MT go to step on that large screened circle on the stage floor at 01:35? Is that a monitor so he can hear himself?

Overall it was great to see MT play with the Stones, but was it great? NO, not really in all honesty. Was it something different from the same old same old Vegas act of the past 25 years, YES it was nostalgic and refreshing.

Lets face it, we all get old and loose the touch, MT and the rest of the boys are no different (though I think Charlie hasn't lost anything). Let's face it the magic of the 1972 tour isn't ever coming back folks and that's a fact. Thank God they filmed the 1972 tour (L&G) and recently released it on DVD for future generations to take in. So enjoy that fact it's out there for the RnR world to see and think about the "great times" of the past. For the kids that are seeing the Stones and MT for the first time, good for you but in my honest opinion you're missing the boat, so maybe do your research and find out what many on IORR are talking and writing about 40 years ago.

Cheers from Minnesota!

Date: November 28, 2012 23:36

cn854
Question: Why does MT go to step on that large screened circle on the stage floor at 01:35? Is that a monitor so he can hear himself?

Overall it was great to see MT play with the Stones, but was it great? NO, not really in all honesty. Was it something different from the same old same old Vegas act of the past 25 years, YES it was nostalgic and refreshing.

Lets face it, we all get old and loose the touch, MT and the rest of the boys are no different (though I think Charlie hasn't lost anything). Let's face it the magic of the 1972 tour isn't ever coming back folks and that's a fact. Thank God they filmed the 1972 tour (L&G) and recently released it on DVD for future generations to take in. So enjoy that fact it's out there for the RnR world to see and think about the "great times" of the past. For the kids that are seeing the Stones and MT for the first time, good for you but in my honest opinion you're missing the boat, so maybe do your research and find out what many on IORR are talking and writing about 40 years ago.

Cheers from Minnesota!

ok, cheers...but that wasn't a very cheery post...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home