Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:36

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:37

Cineplexed
As a big MT fan, Its a dream to hear and see him on stage with them. But to be fair , he's rusty at best, as one might expect. Wish his played more regularly with them, he'd be a monster.

Agreed, Taylor's not really playing WITH the band, but on top of them. But that was to be expected....they couldn't have been rehearsing that much. More shows with Taylor.....and things will fall into place

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:39

It was sort of risky to give Taylor "Rambler" if you think about it. I mean, it's a complicated song and the Stones have played it consistently on every tour in the last few decades. They put a lot of trust into Taylor to get in there and expect him to know all the small turns and twists in the song. He knew a few sections here and there but he was definitely under-rehearsed. Good to have him back though...some sublime moments there.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:39

Do this a few more times, and Taylor won't have to feel like he has got to do it all in these 12 minutes. The solos, stage front with Jagger, hug with Keith, play in Ronnie's face, LOL.
I felt actually emotional watching this, even though musically it was not the greatest. But Taylor SO deserved this.
It was VERY odd seeing him run up front with Jagger. I mean - not my quiet Mick Taylor!
Even in the slow part where Keith kind of sidles up to him, and puts his arm on MT's shoulder, as if saying "This is the part where every night we wait for the LV to do his thing", and Taylor just bounds away like saying "Come on, let's get it going again; I only got a few more minutes"
yes, this needs to happen a few more times. Maybe do "Love in Vain"; something more structured that suits Taylor's style better. He would also be able to shine more.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:43

there was a book written a few years ago after the Boston Red Sox had won their first championship since like 1916?? anyways, the title of the book is "Now I can Die in Peace"

Now, I think I know what he means...

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:45

Taylor, blues hurricane smiling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()

I agree about Love In Vain. Even if that also isn't the Taylor era, it would be a better fit because of the iconic ya yas again... There is no real solo section on MR so of course he plays over top of everyone. Too bad Taylor doesn't play harmonica...there were plenty of those solos in there

Posted by: mtaylor ()

Jelly Face Joe
Thanks to Mick Taylor, for the best Stones performance since 1973. The Gorilla has roared!!
thumbs up Exactly.
We don't need Jeff Beck to play guitar, let Taylor play more songs, would be fantastic to hear him on Can't you hear, Gimme Shelter (instead of screaming women), Winter, Sway or Moonlight Mile.
No problem for Keith, he has realized his less playing, he stays in behind as the engine.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:48

mtaylor
Jelly Face Joe
Thanks to Mick Taylor, for the best Stones performance since 1973. The Gorilla has roared!!
thumbs up Exactly.
We don't need Jeff Beck to play guitar, let Taylor play more songs, would be fantastic to hear him on Can't you hear, Gimme Shelter (instead of screaming women), Winter, Sway or Moonlight Mile.
No problem for Keith, he has realized his less playing, he stays in behind as the engine.

And sway smiling smiley Yes, it would be magic.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:48

There's a couple of times when Taylor gets right in Ronnie's face, like guitarists world wide do. But in this particular dynamic, do you think there was a bit of "Watch and learn; THIS is how it's done"? As a joke?

Posted by: Fullerblindboy69 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:52

MT hasn't been playing in situations lately where he gets pushed and it shows here. Maybe after a couple more shows that fire (it's there it's just not coming out yet), will blow full bore, I hope so. Keiths guitar on the other hand is cranking! And saves this performance.

Posted by: VT22 ()

gripweed
there was a book written a few years ago after the Boston Red Sox had won their first championship since like 1916?? anyways, the title of the book is "Now I can Die in Peace"

Now, I think I know what he means...

thumbs up

I don't know, but it's sure, Ronnie never smile during THIS Midnight Rambler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 23:56 by roby.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:55

Given only one song, I think Taylor decided to make the most of it, and perhaps he overplayed a bit for that reason. His back-and-forth with Jagger was great. I personally would prefer if he were in a segment of the show which consisted of songs like Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, and Sway, where he could blend with the band a bit more, but I thought Taylor stepping out of character and taking ownership of the stage was absolutely thrilling. I'll take it.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:55

The fift element! Stresst, rusty, unrehearsed but golden!! Thanks for sharing the video!!!

Date: November 26, 2012 23:57

71Tele
.....but I thought Taylor stepping out of character and taking ownership of the stage was absolutely thrilling. I'll take it.

Me too. Thrilling sight, it was. If only the sound/playing was on par with the sight....maybe we'll witness that later.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:58

71Tele
Given only one song, I think Taylor decided to make the most of it, and perhaps he overplayed a bit for that reason. His back-and-forth with Jagger was great. I personally would prefer if he were in a segment of the show which consisted of songs like Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, and Sway, where he could blend with the band a bit more, but I thought Taylor stepping out of character and taking ownership of the stage was absolutely thrilling. I'll take it.

Exactly my sentiments too!

Posted by: Markdog ()

Don't take this the wrong way becuase I thought that was awesome to see and hear....but for many fans they only know the MT who all but dissappeared in 1975 from the music scene.... Many of those fan, some here still think he simply must still be the same player now as 37 years ago. The only good thing leaving like he did was leaving at his prime his legend lived on. At 61 years old now he is still a good guitar player but maybe some will finally put his legend in perspective.

Posted by: champ72 ()

Fullerblindboy69
MT hasn't been playing in situations lately where he gets pushed and it shows here. Maybe after a couple more shows that fire (it's there it's just not coming out yet), will blow full bore, I hope so. Keiths guitar on the other hand is cranking! And saves this performance.

Spot on with this comment - he rises to the occasion here and if played a few times will only get better. Marvellous to see this. I never thought it would happen. I just got to work (it's 9AM in Sydney)..so I can't really watch this properly yet, but can't wait to get home tonight and watch this properly

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:02

Mick Taylor finally gets back on stage and 90% are moaning about his playing and moving around? You have got to be kidding me. He has waited since '81 to get back on stage with them. He was fantastic. I do not care what song he played, I loved it. Give the man his moment in the spotlight. Keith and Ronnie let him take over. He could have played the entire show and some would still bitch,jeez. Anyway, thanks for posting...: / Ok start throw at me...

Date: November 27, 2012 00:04

Markdog
Don't take this the wrong way becuase I thought that was awesome to see and hear....but for many fans they only know the MT who all but dissappeared in 1975 from the music scene.... Many of those fan, some here still think he simply must still be the same player now as 37 years ago. The only good thing leaving like he did was leaving at his prime his legend lived on. At 61 years old now he is still a good guitar player but maybe some will finally put his legend in perspective.

But the band ain't the same as it was 37 years ago, either. So....the chops Taylor still has left in him, should be more than enough to stand out, compared to Keith and Ronnie as of now. If they only rehearsed a bit more, anyway

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:05

Justin
It was sort of risky to give Taylor "Rambler" if you think about it. I mean, it's a complicated song and the Stones have played it consistently on every tour in the last few decades. They put a lot of trust into Taylor to get in there and expect him to know all the small turns and twists in the song. He knew a few sections here and there but he was definitely under-rehearsed. Good to have him back though...some sublime moments there.

Very true, I actually thought he was chasing Jagger for awhile and Mick did not seem real comfortable having his space invaded. Early on when Taylor followed Mick out to the front while he was playing harp Mick stopped and told him to take it and quickly strutted away. For awhile Ronnie was ignored and seemed a bit taken back. Keith was trying to noodle and Taylor kept prodding him on to step up and jam.

A very nice version and my main impression was that Taylor wanted to put the old energy back into the song and play heavy. None of that noodling and plucking Keith was doing. That is what the Stones need is someone to turn up the metal.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:06

and chose a different song...hell Stop Breaking Down would've been meatier for him...and oh wait! Thats from his era!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:09

Cineplexed
As a big MT fan, Its a dream to hear and see him on stage with them. But to be fair , he's rusty at best, as one might expect. Wish his played more regularly with them, he'd be a monster.

Yes,
Cineplexed, rusty at best is pretty much what i thought of Taylor's performance, although Taylor's contribution did still give the Stones that edge which has been pretty much missing from the Stones, since Taylor's departure. It is unusual for Taylor to seemingly make it up as he went along, without the larger sense of perspective, but that's pretty much the way he sounded. Taylor's ability very much remains intact, yet the foresight to really structure his playing appears to have escaped him, at this moment.

Date: November 27, 2012 00:11

deeppurple
Mick Taylor finally gets back on stage and 90% are moaning about his playing and moving around?
[...]
Ok start throw at me...

I throw a calculator to you.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:12

very cool to see mick taylor with the boys!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:14

Erik_Snow
deeppurple
Mick Taylor finally gets back on stage and 90% are moaning about his playing and moving around?
[...]
Ok start throw at me...

I throw a calculator to you.

Touché!

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:18

I think that record from yesterday really show the difference between the MIck Taylor period and Ron. Woody standing very near to Keith, listening each other and weawing with an outstanding collaboration, while MT playing his own solo part. Which is fabulous of course and gave the Stones another dimensions.

But overall, I think the Wood-Richards pair is the real, unique Stones sonding.

ps: thanks for posting it. and Taylor mooooving..smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 00:20 by MoreFastNumbers.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:18

Not bad - but I think there's too many coocks in the kitchen.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 00:26

Finally seeing MR after having seen quite a lot of other videos from the last night. Well, I'll be honest and say that I liked the other videos way more.

Mick T. really seems to be lost, looks like he is improvising on a song he has never heard before. That strange moving around the stage, following Mick, doesn't help a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to bash Mick in any way, I am just excited about seeing him on one stage with The Stones like anybody else, this was his first apperance with The Stones in more than 35 years, so I can understand he wasn't feeling exactly comfortable. I hope he will do more, much more with The Stones over the next few months. Or at least I wish.

It is really difficult to jump into a show and do one song, especially when that is the moment everybody is waiting for. I rember the last year, how Dave Gilmour was doing a guest appearence in The Wall show of Richard Waters. He played just one solo in one show. it was Comfortably Numb, his ultimate solo and well, it was probably the worst version I have ever heard from him. The pressure of such an occasion must be huge.

Anyway, as others wrote - I also hope that Mick T. will rehearse some more and that it will only get better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 00:37 by Happy24.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home