Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24
Re: OT : Lance Armstrong
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:05

Rolling Hansie
uhbuhgullayew
Travis Tygart, the director of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, says Armstrong lied to Winfrey

So Armstrong didn't use doping ???

He went on Oprah rather than 60 Minutes because a 60 Minutes interview would have grilled him.

Date: January 28, 2013 18:09

treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
From 60 Minutes:

Is Lance Armstrong still lying?

Lance Armstrong admitted to doping for the first time in an interview with Oprah Winfrey last week. But Travis Tygart, the director of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, says Armstrong lied to Winfrey and withheld the truth on key issues. Scott Pelley reports.

www.cbsnews.com

Video

OK, that makes sense then. He lied to Oprah about NOT doping in 2009/10 because he'd still be in line for criminal conspiracy charges because the statute of limitations is 5 years.

It seemed like he was lying when he said he was clean for those races.

I guess we'll get another round of Oprah interviews in 2015/16 when he can't be pursued criminally. That way we'll finally sort of hear the truth.

Something like that.....

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:10

Rolling Hansie
uhbuhgullayew
Travis Tygart, the director of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, says Armstrong lied to Winfrey

So Armstrong didn't use doping ???

cool smiley

Date: February 5, 2013 04:25

Report: Lance Armstong refuses to repay $12 million Tour de France bonuses

"Lance Armstrong is refusing to refund the nearly $12 million of bonus money he received for winning the Tour de France in 2002, 2003, and 2004, according to a USA Today report.

Tailwind Sports, the owner of Armstong’s cycling team, had bonuses built into their contract with Armstrong that paid the cyclist extra for winning the Tour de France. However, in 2004 the company withheld the bonus thanks to suspicions that Armstrong doped in order to win the titles. After a lengthy court battle in which Armstrong testified under oath that he never took performance-enhancing drugs, the company paid Armstrong his bonus."

www.cnnsi.com

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2013 07:44

uhbuhgullayew

"Lance Armstrong is refusing to refund the nearly $12 million of bonus money he received for winning the Tour de France in 2002, 2003, and 2004, according to a USA Today report.

Tailwind Sports, the owner of Armstong’s cycling team, had bonuses built into their contract with Armstrong that paid the cyclist extra for winning the Tour de France. However, in 2004 the company withheld the bonus thanks to suspicions that Armstrong doped in order to win the titles. After a lengthy court battle in which Armstrong testified under oath that he never took performance-enhancing drugs, the company paid Armstrong his bonus."

www.cnnsi.com

This guy's gonna be in court the rest of his life.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 08:53

uhbuhgullayew

www.cnnsi.com
ha ha no big surprise !
he won't pay back and will never apologize to the Tour de France because this guy is a pig !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 6, 2013 00:19

treaclefingers

= he's going to be broke in 10 years... Crime doesn't pay (but you have to be patient) grinning smiley

Date: February 6, 2013 03:53

dcba
treaclefingers

= he's going to be broke in 10 years... Crime doesn't pay (but you have to be patient) grinning smiley

couldn't happen to a nicer guy

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 6, 2013 11:37

Unfortunately crime can often pay. Allen Dulles and LBJ knew all about that.
Part of me still thinks it was amazing that Armstrong came back from cancer and won even with "assistance" but the rules are the rules and he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. As we say in England - on your bike son.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 6, 2013 23:22

There are reports that he is facing a new federal probe for obstruction, witness tampering and intimidation.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 19:43

To me, they're all doped. I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone was doing it - they can't even find a clean rider on which to bestow his stripped titles for crying outloud! The fact that he beat cancer the way he did and went on to win all those races is a feat in itself. I feel bad for all that's transpired for him. Not that I condone it, but it's not like he was alone in it.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:08

This is just one of many, please read on :

Former Armstrong teammate McCarty was shunned for not doping

He could have been the second coming of Lance Armstrong, if only he played dirty.

Despite possessing an almost identical pedigree and similar talent to the once-beloved Texas trailblazer in Armstrong—Patrick McCarty steered his bicycle straight; avoiding the doping culture that was rampant in pro cycling, and was outcast from the cycling world he had dreamed of making his name in.

From the outset, McCarty was sized-up as somebody who was principled and unwilling to play the role a performance-enhancing protégé who sacrificed his integrity to get on the fast track to cycling stardom.

“I think it was pretty clear I wasn’t going to be part in that culture,” he told The Post. “I was definitely kept at arm’s length.”

Flickr/Puliarf
At 19, McCarty was outpacing pros and then in 2004 when he turned 21, and the dream call came.
The promising rider was indoctrinated into Armstrong’s almost mythical U.S. Postal Service squad.

“It was a huge, huge, huge opportunity coming from the amateur ranks at the time in cycling and [Team] Postal was regarded as the biggest and best professional outfits. And it was an American team.”

Instantly, uncanny comparisons were being made.

Like Lance Armstrong, McCarty entered the pro ranks from small-town Texas roots.

McCarty grew up in Allen, Texas—only six miles from the now sullied cyclist’s native Plano.

“Lance was from Texas and I was from Texas… It was very, very special.”

Both launched their bike careers at the Richardson Bike Mart. McCarty’s first bike was a special edition Trek with a yellow frame bearing Armstrong’s signature.

But there was one parallel that McCarty made sure wouldn't be made, doping.

“The parallels were obvious but the more time went on it was very easy to disassociate myself because that was clearly not the path I was going to take.”

Despite his unwillingness to use performance-enhancing shortcuts, McCarty doesn’t believe he’s special, adding there were others on Armstrong’s teams who also didn’t dope.

“During that era not everybody was cheating and there were guys that made the right decisions,” McCarty told The Post. “The circumstances vary but the decision is always the same.”

Much has been made about Armstrong’s fall from grace.

Armstrong saluted some riders who kept clean as “heroes” in his sit-down with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month.

Unlike the soaring success of Armstrong and other steroid-abusing cyclists, those who steered clear of PEDS remained no-shows on winner’s podiums and McCarty admits his career took a hit.

“I never doped and I really never got any results because of it.”

But the racer doesn’t harbor hard feelings about missing out on the medals or becoming a household name.

“I don’t dwell on the fact that maybe other guys were ruining my chances to do well,” he said. “It was I’m happy I made the right decision.”

And despite his failure to notch the accolades that other cyclists received, McCarty explains that he won by never letting himself succumb to the dark side and take drugs.

“I was always looking ahead and disassociated myself of the actions and behaviors of some of the riders,” McCarty said. “I didn’t relate to [doping] and I didn’t participate in it.”

The juiced thoroughbreds on the team during his two-year tenure, namely Armstrong, ostracized McCarty and anyone else who didn’t get intimate with a needle.

“I was out of the clique and on the outer edge of the circle not only just being friends or acquaintances with the other members of the team—but just the professional side of it.”

His friend and former National Team member Ian Dille suggests McCarty’s moral code hurt his chances to be groomed into something spectacular.

“Postal got a lot of positive press for signing young riders, and saying ‘We’re going to develop them into the next Tour de France stars,'” Dille told The Post.

“But in reality I think Postal had their guys, and the team knew they could count on them not to talk, and that they were willing to draw blood from their body and re-infuse it during the Tour.”

McCarty was eventually cut from the U.S. Postal Team after his contract expired and forced back into the amateur ranks, a crippling blow to the ego of the promising young cyclist.

“I saw him take a huge hit,” McCarty’s former coach and Armstrong teenage pal Max Miley told The Post. “The fact is he fell back down the ranks because he couldn't be able to compete at that level against the guys who were taking drugs.”

The demotion is like a major league baseball player being dumped back to the minors.

“I was pulled into this dream come true and it fell apart quickly,” McCarty said.

And because of the sport’s sordid adoption of science, many of the successful riders were managing to stick around, excelling long past their prime.

That meant hot prospects were cast aside and left to “sink or swim.”

“There was absolutely no grooming,” McCarty said. “I was out of the clique and on the outer edge of the circle.”

AP
McCarty refused to dope like former teammate and fellow Texan Lance Armstong.
On his way to becoming a world-class athlete, Miley said he spoke openly to McCarty about doping's road to oblivion.

“Doesn’t matter what you are confronted with—don’t take drugs,” Miley remembers telling the then teenage phenom. “I told him even if you don’t get caught you’re going to have to live with yourself knowing you cheated.”

Ultimately, his coach knew that McCarty was not like that other storied rider from Texas.

“He didn’t have the personality to dope,” Miley said. “He’s not going to be somebody like Lance.”

Nine years after his stint with Armstong and Team USPS, McCarty is still chasing a dream to become the best.

Though only 31 —usually the twilight of a cyclists career—McCarty believes he could one day claim major victories if the sport continues to clean up.

“That’s one of the main motivating factors for me staying in the sport for so long,” he said. “I was optimistic about things changing and I knew I was good enough and talented enough I could have my day.”

His coach believes given an even playing field, McCarty will outpace the juicers, just as he did in 2009 when he captured the Tour of California crown.

“It’s a major accomplishment for someone who is clean,” Miley said. “There was probably a few riders in the Tour of California who weren’t clean.”

McCarty is staying humble and says he’s just “grateful to be racing his bike” and is invigorated by recent, successful efforts to rid the sport of doping, including holding Armstrong accountable.

“I’ve noticed a difference from my first years as a professional to now,” he said, noting that he’s noticed racers who had pedaled over 200 kilometers in steep peaks “attacking and springing” almost by magic.

But no longer.

“You kind of watch the suffering when it’s a clean race,” he said. “It’s not that it’s less dramatic but you can see the elements affect the riders differently, if not more.”

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:19

I didn't mean to imply that no one wasn't doping - I meant all of the top names. Sorry - should have clarified. It's just pathetic really that the witch hunt has gone this far and stripped of everything when all the top competitors were equally working as hard to try and find ways to win unfairly is my point.

Date: February 8, 2013 01:01

ChefGuevara

The juiced thoroughbreds on the team during his two-year tenure, namely Armstrong, ostracized McCarty and anyone else who didn’t get intimate with a needle.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: February 8, 2013 04:01

uhbuhgullayew

www.cnnsi.com

SCA promotions initiated a lawsuit for $12 million against Armstrong on Thursday in Dallas district court.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

The Guardian

A Dallas promotions company is suing Lance Armstrong to repay $12m in bonuses that it paid him for winning the Tour de France. Armstrong, who now admits that he used performance-enhancing drugs, has been stripped of his seven victories in the race.

SCA Promotions filed its lawsuit Thursday, in Dallas district court. The company tried to withhold the money in 2005 because of doping allegations but ultimately settled with Armstrong in arbitration. Now SCA says Armstrong's admission proves a conspiracy to cheat and defraud the company into paying him millions.

On Wednesday, SCA's lawyer, Jeffrey Tillotson, told CNN: "We made our demand for the return of the money we paid him for winning the Tour de France races where the titles were stripped. Mr Armstrong and his legal team have not complied with that demand.

"But both he and his lawyers almost taunted us and said if we are ever stripped of those titles, we will give you the money back. We will simply ask him to finally live up to his word and give that money back."

The lawsuit also targets Armstrong's agent, Bill Stapleton, as a defendant.
Armstrong's attorney did not immediately return a message.

It has also been reported that Armstrong could face criminal charges in the US.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 8, 2013 20:08

Hello,

Charlie at the Tour Of Oman! Cycling is still cool...well Basher Watts still is, at any rate, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:12

WOW Simon. Is that picture for real ? Cool

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 9, 2013 05:13

that is a very cool shot!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 9, 2013 14:34

oops - double post, sorry! :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-09 14:35 by with sssoul.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 9, 2013 14:35

Beautiful, SimonN! It deserves to be posted somewhere way better than this thread -
how about the Glyn Johns/Bill Wyman thread? Bill mentions that Charlie's in the Middle East: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-09 14:37 by with sssoul.

Date: February 9, 2013 16:51

Funny, in the Bill Wyman Glyn Johns 'award' thread, Bill actually says "Charlie would have liked to have been here but is in Europe, er, the Middle East right now." I'm paraphrasing.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:09

More bad news for Lance. The U.S. Justice Department on Friday joined a federal whistle-blower lawsuit against him.

[www.nytimes.com]

The New York Times
But the whistle-blower case has the potential to cause the most damage to Armstrong’s bank accounts. His estimated worth is about $125 million, but in federal whistle-blower lawsuits, a court or jury can award triple damages, which in this case could add up to an award of more than $90 million.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:43

TippyToe
More bad news for Lance. The U.S. Justice Department on Friday joined a federal whistle-blower lawsuit against him.

[www.nytimes.com]

The New York Times
But the whistle-blower case has the potential to cause the most damage to Armstrong’s bank accounts. His estimated worth is about $125 million, but in federal whistle-blower lawsuits, a court or jury can award triple damages, which in this case could add up to an award of more than $90 million.

THATS GOOD NEWS!!!
GO GET HIM WITH EVERYTHING YOU GOT !!!

GREAT STUFF, NAIL HIM TO THE BONE.

jeroen

Date: February 23, 2013 19:23

TippyToe

Which means Floyd Landis could testify against L.A. and rake in 15% to 30% of the sum the US State might get from a trial! eye popping smiley

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 23, 2013 22:27

Hello,

I only wish that Johan Bruyneel could be asked a few awkward questions too.

In the meantime...get your bike out and enjoy the countryside!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:41

SimonN
enjoy the countryside!

I enjoyed the countryside in Belgium's first race of the season ... watching it on TV

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 07:37

SimonN
Hello,

I only wish that Johan Bruyneel could be asked a few awkward questions too.
yes he should be !!
This guy is also some kind of pig like his friend LA
a beautiful pair of hooligans !!!!!!!!

Date: February 24, 2013 11:19

In all fairness doping in pro cycling hasn't started with L.A. and it won't stop once he's crushed by the U.S. legal system...

Okay L.A. has become the guy we love to hate >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-24 11:20 by dcba.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:47

All these doping affairs - no matter which kind of sports concerned - has turned me off a lot of them.
An editor of my local newspaper is a keen biker and went up famous routes like Alpe d'Huez quite often. His doctor is a friend and they decided to experiment with Epo and took a minor dosis. They went up that mountain and were one hour faster or something like that than their best time - though they didn't feel better, had trained more or better or that weather conditions would have mattered.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 20, 2013 00:24

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home