Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24
Re: OT : Lance Armstrong
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 22, 2012 15:25

In one moment I go from enjoying the sport of cycling and the tour de france to hating them both more than I hate twangy, country fking music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 15:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 15:32

Man, you seem to be in a terrific mood !

I understand partly your reaction cos it's unfair that LA is the only one to be pushed in the mud. All the people that supported him and helped him to take drugs and those who knew but shut up should also be punished whether they're American, French or whoever.

Date: October 22, 2012 15:38

jpasc95
Man, you seem to be in a terrific mood !

I understand partly your reaction cos it's unfair that LA is the only one to be pushed in the mud. All the people that supported him and helped him to take drugs and those who knew but shut up should also be punished whether they're American, French or whoever.

If you liked my comments of support in this deal... just wait.... YOU WILL LOVE my comments in the Tour De France thread next year.... Fk the tour de France... and everything about it. Everyone in it is doped and the sanctioning body hides that... the whole concept is a waste of time.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 22, 2012 15:38

Don't take it so hard, Max. Doping is an integral part in many sports, not just cycling. Do you really think all the top baseball-, football- or hockeyplayers are clean?
Sports and doping goes hand in hand. They can't live without each other. The smartest cheater wins. Am I getting cynical?

Date: October 22, 2012 15:39

Done with this sport..and this thread....
se ya in next years tour thread, we will have some fun.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:04

It's alright, Max. My hats off for you for following your own principles systematically. And the dictum "none is guilty until proven" is actually a damn fine principle, and we people so easily tend to start throwing stones from the basic of gossips. But the doping thing is such an ugly business, that I don't know is any good principle suitable there at all... just wasting bullets.

So, keep up the good work, man!thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: October 22, 2012 16:06

The worst doping case I have witnessed was when the whole Finnish cross-country ski team was caught with doping in the cross-country WC in Lahtis in 2001. Not so much the doping itself but (some) of Finnish reaction to it: Denial and recrimination. I guess it's still an open wound in the Finnish sports world.

Date: October 22, 2012 16:11

Sorry Doxa for bringing the above mentioned up! (I wasn't thinking of you when I recalled that incident!). We have had some bad dopingcases in Sweden too, of course.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:16

Stoneage
The worst doping case I have witnessed was when the whole Finnish cross-country ski team was caught with doping in the cross-country WC in Lahtis in 2001. Not so much the doping itself but (some) of Finnish reaction to it: Denial and recrimination. I guess it's still an open wound in the Finnish sports world.

Aah, that was set up by Norwegians>grinning smiley<... funniest sport-related event for decades in Finland; the idiots didn't know that the tests were developed to catch stuff (hemohes) that was used earlier by stronger teams (to cover EPO). Actually I wrote about is latest developments in last page or something. The drama still continues...

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 22, 2012 17:06

Now that L.A. is down (good riddance) it's time to put his mentor in crime "il dottore" Michele Ferrari on the hot seat... thumbs up

[en.wikipedia.org]

Quote : "I have always said that I have zero tolerance for anyone convicted of using or facilitating the use of performance-enhancing drugs."
L.A. was indeed a gutsy guy! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 17:08 by dcba.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 22, 2012 21:13

Max, hopefully some good will come out of this. I will assume that next years
Tour will be a lot cleaner. Cycling used the Lance Armstrong story to boost it's popularity. Now the story backfired. Time for new and tougher controls and hopefully
riders will understand that cheating will eventually come back to you.
We will see in the future Olympic medals being taken away by new advances in labs
and tests.

In the mean time, cheers to the clean ones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 15, 2013 02:13

uh oh...he comes clean:

[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 15, 2013 02:26

treaclefingers
uh oh...he comes clean:

[www.cbc.ca]

"A person familiar with the situation says Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey during an interview Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the interview is to be broadcast Thursday on Winfrey's network".

Oh my, the suspense. I can't stand it no longer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 15, 2013 02:26

Well I expected this...........he would be stupid denying it.............

Date: January 15, 2013 02:33

NICOS
Well I expected this...........he would be stupid denying it.............

There`s no way he would be going on Oprah to declare his innocence...that time has long past.

He`s looking for a bit of redemption I think.

Date: January 15, 2013 02:50

This is a calculated move by L.A. and probably for many reasons other
than being really sorry.
Even the fact that this interview was announced more than a week ago
was a calculated move to test the waters and see the media reaction
and let him prepared his act.

He's a good actor, but not a good person.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: January 15, 2013 02:54

Does Armstrong do anything for a living now? Or does he just live on the money he cheated from athletes who don't dope? Wonder if Oprah paid him for this interview...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 15, 2013 03:08

OK Lance, give $10M+ to charity if you are truly apologetic.

Date: January 15, 2013 03:09

Posted by: TippyToe () Date: January 15, 2013 02:54 Does Armstrong do anything for a living now? Or does he just live on the money he cheated from athletes who don't dope? Wonder if Oprah paid him for this interview...

He's worth 100 million right now. He's financially set for life.

Date: January 15, 2013 03:17

ChefGuevara
Posted by: TippyToe () Date: January 15, 2013 02:54 Does Armstrong do anything for a living now? Or does he just live on the money he cheated from athletes who don't dope? Wonder if Oprah paid him for this interview...

Probably...I think they`re sharpening the knives though. Didn`t he get paid a huge settlement from some tabloids that declared his doping?

I think they want their money back!

Date: January 15, 2013 04:03

Posted by: treaclefingers () Date: January 15, 2013 03:17

Probably...I think they`re sharpening the knives though. Didn`t he get paid a huge settlement from some tabloids that declared his doping? I think they want their money back!

He's got that settlement pending with one of Murdoch's tabloid, but it doesn't amount to much.
One of his ex sponsor are also trying to get back 7.5 million from bonuses L.A. recived from winning the Tour, but all and all it seems like most of his fortune will not be at risk.
The real financial blow is that he got dropped by all mayor sponsors, so the big cash won't be coming in any longer. But I don't think he'll need a loan to get by.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: January 15, 2013 06:01

ChefGuevara

Not much incentive for other athletes coming up to compete fairly. The message going out seems to be "cheat and get away with it as long as you can".

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 15, 2013 06:12

Now here is a loser and a cheat

Date: January 15, 2013 06:54

It's a bit confused
The title of the article is : "Lance Armstrong tells Oprah Winfrey he used drugs : source"

But we can also read :
"About 100 staff members of the charity Armstrong founded in 1997 gathered in a conference room as Armstrong arrived with a simple message: "I'm sorry." He choked up during a 20-minute talk, expressing regret for the long-running controversy tied to performance-enhancers had caused, but stopped short of admitting he used them"

It's quite contradictory, isn't it ? or did I misunderstand what he said ?

I'm not expecting him to admit that he used drugs !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 07:37 by jpasc95.

Date: January 15, 2013 09:08

jpasc95
It's a bit confused
The title of the article is : "Lance Armstrong tells Oprah Winfrey he used drugs : source"

But we can also read :
"About 100 staff members of the charity Armstrong founded in 1997 gathered in a conference room as Armstrong arrived with a simple message: "I'm sorry." He choked up during a 20-minute talk, expressing regret for the long-running controversy tied to performance-enhancers had caused, but stopped short of admitting he used them"

These are separate events that happened on the same day. L.A. First talked to the staff members of the L.A. Foundation to apology for the stress and hard times that he had brought to them and their work for charity and cancer.

On a separate event he was interviewed by Oprah who got the "exclusive" confession from L.A.

No one is allowed to give any more details other than Oprah whom I think will appear on an NBC morning show today (Tuesday) to confirmed that L.A. confessed.

All part of the circus where Oprah is hard at work for needed ratings and Lance on his calculated move to find his road to redemption.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 15, 2013 09:14

Well well well only human behavior or....

2 1 2 0

Date: January 15, 2013 09:27

Source: Lance Armstrong confesses to Oprah he doped before he had cancer
Brent Schrotenboer, USA TODAY Sports2:11a.m. EST January 15, 2013

(Photo: Joel Saget, AFP/Getty Images)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Lance Armstrong admitted to Oprah Winfrey he started doping before he was diagnosed with cancer, source says
Public's reaction to Armstrong's confession, which airs Thursday night, is critical to his comeback plan
Prior to interview with Winfrey, Armstrong stopped at Livestrong charity and apologized
Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey that he started using performance-enhancing drugs to gain an edge in cycling in the mid-1990s, before he was diagnosed with cancer, a person familiar with the interview told USA TODAY Sports.

Armstrong and his representatives also have had discussions with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency about meeting soon over several days for a "full debrief," when Armstrong would be expected to "answer every question, give over records, telephone calls, test results, everything," the source said.

It is not certain if Armstrong will agree to the full debriefing, but he is aware it would be a prerequisite to any potential reduction of his lifetime ban from sanctioned competitions, the source told USA TODAY Sports.

The person requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case and because the Winfrey interview details are supposed to remain confidential until it airs Thursday night. Armstrong had intended to make a general confession to Winfrey but avoid getting into great detail during the interview, which was held Monday in Armstrong's hometown of Austin.

Winfrey went on Twitter to say the interview lasted more than 21/2 hours and Armstrong "came READY!" She will appear today on CBS This Morning to promote the interview, which will be shown on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

It is the public's reaction to Armstrong's apology that is critical to the cyclist, who was not only stripped of his seven Tour de France titles but was dropped by his sponsors in October after USADA released more than 1,000 pages of evidence against him. Armstrong had said over the weekend that he looked forward to a candid conversation with Winfrey.

Armstrong's admission that he started doping in the mid-1990s is consistent with USADA's evidence. In one statement, former Armstrong teammate George Hincapie said he and Armstrong started using the blood booster EPO around 1995 or '96 because they felt they otherwise could not compete. Another cyclist, Stephen Swart, said in his statement that he knew his teammates on the 1995 Tour de France team were using EPO, including Armstrong.

The source told USA TODAY Sports that the Armstrong camp also has had discussions with federal authorities about naming others who were involved in doping, a step that could qualify as the substantial assistance that cycling's governing bodies would require before considering a reduction of Armstrong's penalties.

According to the source, one stumbling block for Armstrong could be the International Cycling Union, which the source says remains opposed to "truth and reconciliation," meaning the possibility of reducing Armstrong's ban to anything less than eight years.

MORE: Oprah interview part of Armstrong's comeback strategy

Before talking to the iconic talk-show host Winfrey on Monday, Armstrong issued an emotional apology to the staff at Livestrong, the charity he founded to support cancer survivors.

Armstrong, who was diagnosed with advanced cancer in 1996 and made a remarkable recovery, stepped down from the foundation's board in October after USADA's case file spelled out in detail how and when he used performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions to boost his performance.

The evidence also showed Armstrong going to extraordinary efforts to enforce a code of silence among cyclists, attacking anyone who implicated him.

A confession comes with legal risks for the cyclist. Justice Department attorneys have recommended the government join a federal whistleblower suit filed by Armstrong's former teammate, Floyd Landis, a federal law enforcement official briefed on the matter but not authorized to discuss it publicly told USA TODAY Sports.

The suit alleges Armstrong's doping defrauded the government and violated his contract with the U.S. Postal Service, which sponsored his cycling team for around $30 million.

Armstrong, 41, has sought to reconcile with Landis to no avail.

Contributing: Kevin Johnson, Christine Brennan

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:17

... talking about drugs ...

Date: January 15, 2013 11:06

ChefGuevara
jpasc95
It's a bit confused

But we can also read :

These are separate events that happened on the same day. L.A. First talked to the staff members of the L.A. Foundation to apology for the stress and hard times that he had brought to them and their work for charity and cancer.

On a separate event he was interviewed by Oprah who got the "exclusive" confession from L.A.

No one is allowed to give any more details other than Oprah whom I think will appear on an NBC morning show today (Tuesday) to confirmed that L.A. confessed.

All part of the circus where Oprah is hard at work for needed ratings and Lance on his calculated move to find his road to redemption.
ok thanks Chef for your explanation.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 15, 2013 11:17

put him in jail and throw away the key.
jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50