Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24
Re: OT : Lance Armstrong
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2013 18:58

VT22
To me Lance is still a great cyclist.

Who cheated. And lied. Ruined lives. Ruined who knows what. He's an average cyclist without the drugs.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: January 17, 2013 19:06

GasLightStreet
VT22

Who cheated. And lied. Ruined lives. Ruined who knows what. He's an average cyclist without the drugs.

Please quote me in right context, not just an excerpt. I'm not defending Lance as a human being here.

Besides, the "holy elixir" doesn't exist yet, right ?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2013 19:10

VT22
GasLightStreet
VT22

Please quote me in right context, not just an excerpt. I'm not defending Lance as a human being here.

That's enough, it says it.

Date: January 17, 2013 19:44

GasLightStreet
VT22
GasLightStreet
VT22

That's enough, it says it.

Yep, ask Dr Phil.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: January 17, 2013 19:47

VT22

Yes, but not so much a great person.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 17, 2013 20:37

Note to Armstrong: Cheaters are NOT athletes!

And, Pete: Bettors can't be in the Hall of Fame. Hall of Shame for breaking rules, yes.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 17, 2013 21:22

A good one about Lance's success:

"What is the secret of Lance Armstrong's success? He always stays positive."

hot smiley

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 17, 2013 21:29

VT22
...To me Lance is still a great cyclist.

Perhaps he was but isn't that the problem? We don't know how great he was or what he would have one without drugs?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 17, 2013 21:52

A strange thing about this is the heroic sagas and quite blatant chauvinism that is built around sucessful athlethes. Lance Armstrong is not only a cyclist but an icon and a putative role model. Which, of course, makes the fall even steeper. But the problem with doping is much bigger than this. Take a look at sports like American football, baseball, basketball or NHL hockey. Do you think they are "clean" sports?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2013 22:09

mtaylor

hot smiley

er...'tests positive'?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 17, 2013 22:12

treaclefingers
mtaylor

hot smiley

er...'tests positive'?

?? - playing with Words is funny thing yawning smiley))

Date: January 17, 2013 22:16

mtaylor
treaclefingers
mtaylor

hot smiley

er...'tests positive'?

?? - playing with Words is funny thing yawning smiley))

Am I buggin' ya? I didn't mean to bug ya. Alright Lance, play the blues...

Date: January 17, 2013 23:16

Braincapers
VT22
...To me Lance is still a great cyclist.

Perhaps he was but isn't that the problem? We don't know how great he was or what he would have one without drugs?

Ask the rest of the tour cyclists. Silence is golden winking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 17, 2013 23:34

If he didn't use steroids he would have training wheels on his bike.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 17, 2013 23:39

Stoneage
A strange thing about this is the heroic sagas and quite blatant chauvinism that is built around sucessful athlethes. Lance Armstrong is not only a cyclist but an icon and a putative role model. Which, of course, makes the fall even steeper. But the problem with doping is much bigger than this. Take a look at sports like American football, baseball, basketball or NHL hockey. Do you think they are "clean" sports?

Precisely why I'm not into 'em ... it's phony and allll money.

Armstrong isn't a total loser, of course. His drive to build up himself in health
and illness says miles about that aspect of his character, what drove him to
cheat is another story, do we even know why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-17 23:40 by TheDailyBuzzherd.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 17, 2013 23:56

he is a loser, a hypocrite, a cheat and a thief
lock him up and take away his bicycles

jeroen

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 18, 2013 00:00

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: January 18, 2013 00:10

Armstrong was an above average guy who had metastatic cancer and beat it working his ass off riding his bike. He ran into a culture where performance enhancers were the norm and felt that leveled the playing field. When you look around at all the lying politicians who would do anything to win, the other athletes, the heroes brought down by infidelity, frau, bigotry..... I'm not sure I want to hear people judge Armstrong.

Date: January 18, 2013 00:23

Slimharpo
Armstrong was an above average guy who had metastatic cancer and beat it working his ass off riding his bike. He ran into a culture where performance enhancers were the norm and felt that leveled the playing field. When you look around at all the lying politicians who would do anything to win, the other athletes, the heroes brought down by infidelity, frau, bigotry..... I'm not sure I want to hear people judge Armstrong.

I'm sure you'd agree that just because there are all those other losers out there doesn't make Armstrong less of a loser.

A lot of good people, even on this board defended him to the end because they wanted to believe him. Very despicable what he did.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 18, 2013 00:43

SIR LANCE (who had) ALOT smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: January 18, 2013 00:44

I'm not sure that those judging him for doing what was the norm in his field would have been any more honest and certainly don't think they could have won the tour 7 times. Just watching how people operate in all fields including business, sports, celebrity, political, academics and even religious. It's a joke to hear people judging him. It is very remarkable he was able to win the tour 7 times after suffering metastatic cancer. Yes, even doping. Do you know what 5 year survival rate is for metastatic cancer? That's stage 4 cancer. It's about 40% for stage 3. Probably 15% for stage 4? So he's above average. Not great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-18 00:46 by Slimharpo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 18, 2013 01:13

What kind of an argumentation is that? Those that haven't won Tour de France seven times in a row have no right to critcize him? And if you have a disease it's alright to lie?
So no one should criticize him and it was alright of him to lie?

Date: January 18, 2013 02:17

Stoneage
What kind of an argumentation is that? Those that haven't won Tour de France seven times in a row have no right to critcize him? And if you have a disease it's alright to lie?
So no one should criticize him and it was alright of him to lie?

I agree...justifying what he did because he overcame cancer really does no service to the millions of other people who overcome cancer and don't lie and take performance enhancing drugs.

I understand the argument that "regardless of what he's done, he's achieved a lot".
By the same token, he's lost everything including his reputation because of deceit.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:23

Slimharpo

According to Armstrong himself, he started with PEDs prior to his cancer.

He also threatened and abused anyone who differed from him...a few he even ran out of the sport and or ruined their livelihood (Greg LeMonde).

So yeah he's a hero alright....pfftt.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:25

At first I thought it was just the crybaby French. Now I know that Lance is truly a shameful cheat.

Very dishonorable. If he was Japanese, he would be obligated to disembowel himself. And his charity is now about as credible as The Second Mile

Date: January 18, 2013 02:34

MILKYWAY
At first I thought it was just the crybaby French. Now I know that Lance is truly a shameful cheat.

Very dishonorable. If he was Japanese, he would be obligated to disembowel himself. And his charity is now about as credible as The Second Mile

I also didn't like the 'pile on' when nothing had been proven, just a lot of innuendo and accusations.

Unfortunately as is often the case 'where there's smoke there's fire'.

Just sad...I remember really rooting for him, especially through all he had been through.

Date: January 18, 2013 03:05

rattler2004
Slimharpo

According to Armstrong himself, he started with PEDs prior to his cancer.

He also threatened and abused anyone who differed from him...a few he even ran out of the sport and or ruined their livelihood (Greg LeMonde).

So yeah he's a hero alright....pfftt.

Well if he did that, then that does suck. I won't justify that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 03:32

He led a life of deceit and was paid handsomely for that. Now karma is swinging back at him. He will be lucky if he gets a gig riding a unicycle in Time Square.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 03:59

No pity from me.

I DO SINCERELY feel for those clean cyclists who finished second/third/fourth/fifth etc down the line who would have/should have THEIR names and accomplishments recognised and financially been recompensed in a better fashion. Armstrong took the kudos and cream when he should have taken nothing. His actions had a domino effect on others. He's a monumental cheat, hypocrite and liar who, without having heard him as I type, I do not doubt will try to justify by saying 'well others did it", and somehow try and shift the blame elsewhere.

He COULD have not done it. He chose to do it.

I am glad he beat cancer. That's it.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-18 04:34 by bitusa2012.

Date: January 18, 2013 04:16

It's on right now if anyone is interested....started already:

[ownspecial.oprah.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10