Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 19
Re: OT - Bob Dylan Setlists - 2009
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 27, 2009 23:42

"where'd billy go??"
Blimey! Dylan does like the Stones : he plays rare trax at club-shows only...

Date: March 27, 2009 23:49

"I was a little disappointed with the live version of LDB. Sounds like an audience recording"
Imho they copied aud boot tapes for some of the live cuts. Maybe Bob thought they were truer rawer, I don't know.

Overall Bob torus too much. Stockholm I was great, focused and a joy to listen to. Now it's back to auto-pilot. I've DL a Nov.2008 show and the 17 songs of the gig are tired, bored and boring.
Of course this show got fantastic reviews on fan sites winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-27 23:50 by dcba.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 27, 2009 23:56

well, at least billy died a hero....bo donaldson would not approve

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: March 28, 2009 01:05

Gazza
olorin

You can't play the same song in front of a 80000 people stadium's audience and in a small club in front of 800 absolute fans.

Says who?

If you're supposed to be the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world, you should certainly be able to.

It's not like they're splitting the atom here, olorin!

But I don't think that most of the people coming to a Rolling Stones show, in a stadium, want to hear a version of 19th Nervous Breakdown. And I don't even know if most of the people who comes to this show even know "19th Nervous Breakdown". It's sad, I agree with you. And Mick gives the audience what they want.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 28, 2009 11:55

Date: March 28, 2009 11:56

one of the best bootlegs of his 2008 tour... and a great day for me... ;^) my reupload on HungerCity, have fun till we have another 2009 Bob's boot.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: March 29, 2009 03:27

Gazza
Unfortunately, the Stones have acquired the audience they deserve.
shidoobee

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2009 05:17

olorin
Gazza
olorin

You can't play the same song in front of a 80000 people stadium's audience and in a small club in front of 800 absolute fans.

Says who?

If you're supposed to be the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world, you should certainly be able to.

But I don't think that most of the people coming to a Rolling Stones show, in a stadium, want to hear a version of 19th Nervous Breakdown. And I don't even know if most of the people who comes to this show even know "19th Nervous Breakdown". It's sad, I agree with you. And Mick gives the audience what they want.

Fair enough, I'd agree that a slowed down version of 19th NB mightnt suit most people, but I seriously doubt that there are too many people in any Stones audience who wouldnt know 19th Nervous Breakdown, to be honest. I think youre overestimating the cluelessness of the audience. It was a massive hit and (most importantly in this day and age) its on "40 Licks".

When did Stones fans become so f***ing lazy and pedestrian, olorin? They're unique to any rock act I'm familiar with. Seriously, its not that long ago that the Stones would routinely play deeper album tracks like Memory Motel or No Expectations or 2000 Light Years from Home and the audiences would get excited by that. Nowadays, Jagger apologetically introduces songs like "Sway" as an 'obscurity' - its on an album that sold 8 million copies for goodness sake!

Its revisionist bollocks, and has been the case since they became solely concerned with pandering to non-fans who are there on corporate junkets. This band has sold 250 million albums worldwide. Its nonsensical for them to think that people are going to get bored or walk out and never come back if they dont play wall to wall rock anthems for two hours. They're selling their great legacy short by convincing themselves that their audience is pretty much totally ignorant of all but about 12 songs from their back catalogue. Unfortunately, too many people seem to have bought into this fallacy. It's utter nonsense.

When you have a back catalogue like the Stones have, you shouldnt have to apologise for playing anything. (Ok, maybe 'Sing This All Together (see What happens)'). They have enough great songs that most people should know. Christ almighty, if someone is mad enough to pay $500 for a ticket to see someone, it surely shouldnt be beyond them to spend $15 on the occasional album, seeing as they supposedly like the band so much.

Live entertainment is a two way thing. 'Play what they know' is certainly a valid standpoint, but surely so is 'know what they play' as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-29 05:18 by Gazza.

Date: March 29, 2009 12:37

OT but what do you think of Bob's version of Brown Sugar (available on most Fall 2002 US shows)?

Date: March 29, 2009 13:33

Malmö, Sweden
Malmö Arena
March 28, 2009

1. Maggie's Farm (Bob on keyboard)
2. The Man In Me (Bob on harp center stage)
3. Watching The River Flow (Bob on guitar)
4. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on keyboard)
5. High Water (For Charley Patton) (Bob on keyboard)
6. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
(Bob on keyboard)
7. Ballad Of Hollis Brown (Bob on keyboard)
8. Just Like A Woman (Bob on keyboard)
9. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Bob on keyboard)
10. Beyond The Horizon (Bob on keyboard)
11. Summer Days (Bob on keyboard)
12. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (Bob on keyboard)
13. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard)
14. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard)
(encore)
15. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)
16. Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard)
17. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on keyboard)

Bob's playing a large number of songs this tour !

Date: March 29, 2009 13:37

Gazza
olorin
Gazza
olorin

Says who?

Fair enough, I'd agree that a slowed down version of 19th NB mightnt suit most people, but I seriously doubt that there are too many people in any Stones audience who wouldnt know 19th Nervous Breakdown, to be honest. I think youre overestimating the cluelessness of the audience. It was a massive hit and (most importantly in this day and age) its on "40 Licks".

When did Stones fans become so f***ing lazy and pedestrian, olorin? They're unique to any rock act I'm familiar with. Seriously, its not that long ago that the Stones would routinely play deeper album tracks like Memory Motel or No Expectations or 2000 Light Years from Home and the audiences would get excited by that. Nowadays, Jagger apologetically introduces songs like "Sway" as an 'obscurity' - its on an album that sold 8 million copies for goodness sake!

Its revisionist bollocks, and has been the case since they became solely concerned with pandering to non-fans who are there on corporate junkets. This band has sold 250 million albums worldwide. Its nonsensical for them to think that people are going to get bored or walk out and never come back if they dont play wall to wall rock anthems for two hours. They're selling their great legacy short by convincing themselves that their audience is pretty much totally ignorant of all but about 12 songs from their back catalogue. Unfortunately, too many people seem to have bought into this fallacy. It's utter nonsense.

When you have a back catalogue like the Stones have, you shouldnt have to apologise for playing anything. (Ok, maybe 'Sing This All Together (see What happens)'). They have enough great songs that most people should know. Christ almighty, if someone is mad enough to pay $500 for a ticket to see someone, it surely shouldnt be beyond them to spend $15 on the occasional album, seeing as they supposedly like the band so much.

Live entertainment is a two way thing. 'Play what they know' is certainly a valid standpoint, but surely so is 'know what they play' as well.

You must be right and I hope that they will keep on playing never-played-live songs and rearranging the old ones... and let's wait for the next tour and see !

Date: March 29, 2009 13:45

some of you say you don't want warhorses no more... I think about 5 of them a night is necessary... I love "Start Me Up" as opening song, duet "Brown Sugar/JJF" as closing, and a couple of them in the middle... yeah. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 29, 2009 18:00

heres a link to 30 sec clip from the new album. Not enough to make any judgement, but it has generated 8 pages of discussion on Expecting Rain!

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-29 18:02 by letitloose.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 29, 2009 18:04

first hattie carroll since zantzinger died...interesting...or something....

Date: March 29, 2009 18:12

Amused
some of you say you don't want warhorses no more... I think about 5 of them a night is necessary... I love "Start Me Up" as opening song, duet "Brown Sugar/JJF" as closing, and a couple of them in the middle... yeah. tongue sticking out smiley

sure - its totally unreasonable to expect them not to play more than a few. and of course these are great songs which work well in a live setting, so why not? No one's expecting them to go out and play a load of obscure songs.

The thing is, the Stones have so many songs that it would be reasonable to expect pretty much everyone to know. Why stick to the same 10-12 that are played at almost every show, year in year out? They could pick about 20-25 such songs and rotate them in and out of the set every show, playing maybe half of them a night. At least it would avoid the mind-numbing predictability of the second half of a latter day Stones show

Date: March 29, 2009 18:15

not as predictable as people think, gazza. the last few tours, i've had a devil of a time predicting whether brown sugar would follow JJF or vice-versa. the guesswork here has been driving me nuts....

Date: March 29, 2009 18:16

Its usually been a piece of piss when one of them opens the show, though....

Date: March 29, 2009 18:29

Gazza
Its usually been a piece of piss when one of them opens the show, though....

that's alot of pieces

Date: March 29, 2009 18:29

and pisses

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 29, 2009 18:55

All four shows in Sweden were really good.
See Bob this Spring if you get the chance.

Date: March 29, 2009 20:22

"Bob's playing a large number of songs this tour !"

He always did. They rehearse 80 songs for each tour.
RE 2009 : as a fan for years I cannot help but feel the setlists are predictable and his axeman could be sent home. Imho of course!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 29, 2009 20:30

dcba
OT but what do you think of Bob's version of Brown Sugar (available on most Fall 2002 US shows)?

Bob's toured with Mark E. Smith ? Great.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 29, 2009 21:35

LOL - I'd pay alot of money to see a Bob/Smithy duet

Date: March 29, 2009 23:21

LOL..very good, Nanker.

Imagine a duet with those two. Smith isnt much of a fan. He once said that Dylan "couldn't write for toffee".

Date: March 30, 2009 10:24

Copenhagen, Denmark
Forum
March 29, 2009

1. Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on keyboard)
2. When I Paint My Masterpiece
3. Watching The River Flow (Bob on guitar)
4. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on keyboard)
5. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Bob on keyboard)
6. I Believe In You (Bob on keyboard)
7. 'Til I Fell In Love With You (Bob on keyboard)
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on keyboard)
9. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob on keyboard)
10. Desolation Row (Bob on keyboard)
11. Honest With Me (Bob on keyboard)
12. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on keyboard)
13. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard)
14. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard)

(encore)
15. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)
16. Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard)
17. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on keyboard)

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 30, 2009 10:25

A very Sunday setlist.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: March 30, 2009 11:19

Great setlist. Lots and lots of songs I'd love to hear next sunday.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 30, 2009 15:42

I saw Dylan at Forum last night. Overall a very solid effort. His voice sounded better than the last couple of times I've seen him. I think the choice of songs worked really well, although I can do without Tweedle Dee - I just don't like that song very much - which kind of ruined the flow. Autopilot versions of Rolling Stone and Watchtower didn't help either, but that was instantly forgiven and forgotten, when he did a fantastic rendition of Spirit On The Water, which made the concert end on a high note. I Believe In You was another highlight.

As usual with Dylan reviews in domestic papers are all over the place. Calling it everything from 'a letdown' to 'incredible'.

Date: March 31, 2009 11:11

pleased you had a good time, Sohoe

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 31, 2009 16:35

Thanks Adrian...I hope the gig(s) you'll be attending will be at least as enjoyable.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home