Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 19
Re: OT - Bob Dylan Setlists - 2009
Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: March 24, 2009 11:16

Wow, I just listened to One more cup of coffee and it's simply fantastic. Great guitar playing here!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 24, 2009 16:18

TANGLED UP IN BLUE!!!
my fave song.

still haven't downloaded it... smiling smiley

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: March 24, 2009 20:24

MacPhisto
Very good performance, but the quality of the recording could be better...

I really like "Most likely..." as an opener, it kicks things off perfectly. I also adore the live versions of Tryin' to get to heaven, Cry a while and I don't believe you.

Stuck inside of Mobile finally got another intro. I think he could exchange that for another song from Blonde on Blonde, say, Obviously 5 Believers. But nevermind, I'm glad Highway 61 has disappeared (hopefully for a while).

It is already back in the setlist !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Date: March 24, 2009 21:13

romeo 22.03 recording is slightly better than uhm another 23.03 recording I got from Dime, but both share the same cons -> sound a little bit too distant and way to quiet!

those records should be played loud.

I'm not disappointed, I'm just waiting for a better bootleg...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2009 00:24

Deluxtone

welcome to the club! thumbs up
For flac files I use vlc. It works 99.99% of the time plus it has a great EQ device

Imho the Stockholm II show is much poorer than the first one AND the tape has a big drawback : it's slightly distorted (Thunder On The Mountain ouch...). You can hear on Bob's voice which is slightly clipped.
And the version of H61 is particularly lame winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 01:39 by dcba.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 25, 2009 10:19

Amused
romeo 22.03 recording is slightly better than uhm another 23.03 recording

agreed - a nice recording.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 25, 2009 11:14

Hello,

Blimey-The Roundhouse was a nightmare to try for..."Not Currently Available" online,and the phone was unanswered.Bollocks.

Anyone think they might have a spare?Well,you've got to ask,haven't you?

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: March 25, 2009 11:17

Gonna see him tonight.
I'll try and ask him how he felt when Keith "stole" his moustach... Kidding!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 25, 2009 11:17

A feckin' nightmare is right Simon. the Macca sales were the same a few years back.

Date: March 25, 2009 11:23

Hi N.P.,

I'm sure you're fed-up with people asking but how are you doing?

Another question for you-how much am I paying for the privilege of listening to The R'House's engaged tone since 9am,hah-hah?

Is it true that The R'house is using a Sinclair ZX81 to run it's online sales?

Cheers,

Si.

Date: March 25, 2009 11:36

the feckin annoying things is Simon I had the site up from 8.00am. then it crashed at 9.00. I did get back in at 9.10 to be greeted with "tickets not on sale yet" AAARGH.

Doing well Simon, stronger every day now.

Date: March 25, 2009 11:42

Oh and I don't tire of people asking Simon, Cheers.

on an optimistic note, I did manage to get Macca tickets eventually last time. It seemed that when the rush died down they released more, credit card rejections etc.

Sinclair ZX81 !!! its a wee man with a visor,quell and abacus mate.

Date: March 25, 2009 11:50

Hi N.P.,

Glad to hear it.
I wish the wee man would pull his finger out and answer the dog!
Good luck to all involved.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: March 25, 2009 13:28

OT but worth mentioning on Dime there's now the fabulous Charlotte 1978 show taken from a clean transfer of the very nice master tape.
It TOTALLY destroys the lame "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" boot CD on Dandelion.

I recommend it smiling smiley
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 25, 2009 13:46

dcba
OT but worth mentioning on Dime there's now the fabulous Charlotte 1978 show taken from a clean transfer of the very nice master tape.

[www.dimeadozen.org]

thanks for the tip

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: March 25, 2009 13:53

dcba

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Finally!!! This must be the tip of the month! Thank you, dcba! smiling smiley

Date: March 25, 2009 16:43

I've heard a lot about Tangled from this 78 show... gonna check it now, thanks!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 25, 2009 23:10

Oslo, Norway
Spektrum
March 25, 2009

1. Watching The River Flow (Bob on keyboard)
2. When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob on keyboard)
3. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Bob on keyboard)
4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob on keyboard)
5. Just Like A Woman (Bob on keyboard)
6. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Bob on keyboard)
7. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on keyboard)
8. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (Bob on guitar)
9. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on keyboard)
10. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on keyboard)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard)
12. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Bob on keyboard)
13. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard)
14. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard)

(encore)
15. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)
16. Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard)
17. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on keyboard)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 25, 2009 23:14

mostly a yawn of a setlist (stale) - too bad the new album's not out yet

Date: March 25, 2009 23:14

first songs best songs... thanks.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 25, 2009 23:45

MacPhisto
dcba

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Finally!!! This must be the tip of the month! Thank you, dcba! smiling smiley

Cool. I was at that show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 26, 2009 00:06

dcba

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Cheers,

There's a guy on hungercity uploading torrents (which are offered ratio-free) of the entire 1978 tour from start to finish (some 112 shows!) in blocks of about 5-6 shows at a time. Might be a while before he gets to this one, though!

Date: March 26, 2009 01:14

Gazza I have a shite ratio at HC but I'm willing to look at what theguy has to offer. Do you have a link or poster name?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:44

It won't affect your ratio, dcba - they're 'free' torrents.

Chopen is the uploader.

Here's the first one - [www.hungercity.org]
Second one - [www.hungercity.org]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:57

>mostly a yawn of a setlist (stale)

Maybe but the first 3 songs are from GREATEST HITS VOL. 2, which is kinda odd.

If the Stones opened with 3 songs that were first available on a compilation album format (singles aside), it would be an event, no?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:38

"When I Paint My Masterpiece" - one of my all-time favourities. Bobby seems to select his sets me in in his mind...

- Doxa

Date: March 26, 2009 10:50

Gee, only 17 songs. And nothing from between 2006 and way backwards... Only the latest and his first material.
I can't inagine what kind of whining we'd have seen on this board if the Stones had tried to pull off something like this.

Still, we enjoyed ourselves. He seemed to be in a better mood than in a long time, and he didn't stand with his back to the audience...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2009 11:05

Addicted
Gee, only 17 songs. And nothing from between 2006 and way backwards... Only the latest and his first material.
I can't inagine what kind of whining we'd have seen on this board if the Stones had tried to pull off something like this.

I think you should check the interview of Dylan (link in this thread) where he talks about the policy of how to decide the material to play, and how he considers his audience to percieve his music. All his "stages" in his career are, according to him, equal nowadays, and he can play whatever he pleases. In compared to the Stones, he has gone out of the drive to go nostalgy. Plus the way he interprets his old songs is a piece of art itself and makes a part of the excitement of his shows. He makes those old songs contemporary and authentic. Contrary, the Stones try desperately to re-create the songs in their familiar, audience-friendly forms - this is done by the help of their side men - and they, usually, end up sounding like a Rolling Stones cover band (especially when they TRY to play an actual obscurity).

Seemingly, Dylan and Jagger do have a very DIFFERENT idea what their 'casual listener' is like. Or to whom they are playing to. To be true, Dylan seems to play - maybe sometiems even too much - only his "hardcore fans" in his mind, and gives not much easy shots to the casual, non-diehard-fans-listeners (one can always hear those complaints in Dylan shows where people are very disappointed of what they expected from the "legend"). Jagger is a total opposite. This approach can seen in many different stages in their businesses (for example, towards their legacy). Of course, Mick makes much more money.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-26 11:14 by Doxa.

Date: March 26, 2009 11:49

Doxa - to be honest - I think Dylan-fans are "The Taliban among rock fans". They're "more catholic than the Pope". Extreme. I know a few of them. (A father and a daughter, from Oslo, Norway)
You're damned right about Dylan's will to "interpret" his old songs in a new way. To the unrecogniseable, sometimes. Once, when he played Langesund, Norway. I drove down with some friends. Walking towards the small football ground where the show was to take place, we heard what we thought was the sound check. It was like a tuning session. It turned out His Bobness had started the show early! And that what we heard was, if I remember correctly, "All Along the Watchtower". Totally impossible to recognise. If the Stones had done the same thing, they'd have been slagged by their own fans, "They don't even remember how to play their own songs anymore" (we've read exactly that here on the board). When His Bobness does it, its' like a "mark of genious and an art in itself".
So, yes, there's a huge difference between the fan bases of Duylan and the Stones. And in my opinion, the Stones have a lot more respect for their fans than Dylan does. For years he hardly looked at his audience. He turned his back on them. He was totally not interrested in "the idiots" who kept him alive financially. I'm not saying he's been like that all the time, but a lot of times I've seen him like that.
And... when he picks up his electric guitar (fortunately not often these days) I chose to protect my ears. He should leave the electric guitar to those who know how to handle it.

Date: March 26, 2009 13:23

"For years he hardly looked at his audience. He turned his back on them"
Not a Dylan taliban myself but you must be informed that, at some point in his career he was followed around the world by a bunch of obsessive US fans who would, at every show, be 1st row. Bob would be in Stockholm, Milano or Madrid, he would look down at the audience and he would see the SAME faces screaming at him in perfect English. Pretty mind-f@#cking, imho.

He tried to have these few people removed from the 1st row by his manager, to no avail, so he probably decided to not look at his audience any longer. My 2 cents...

"[songs] totally impossible to recognise"
To Bob the ultimate horror would be to play the same songs note-for-note every night. And I agree! Being a living juke-box is the worst perversion of the rock world. A 1978 Watchtower is very different from a 1994 one or a 2007 version. I prefer some more than others but they're equally interesting.
In a way Bob's more of a jazzman.

But I agree with you : "Dylan is God" fans are not people I'd like to spend an evening with. I've DLed shows that were rated as exceptional by fans and quite obviously Bob was in a poor shape that night.

And now 2 great torrents with music from the early 60s winking smiley
[www.thetradersden.org]
[www.thetradersden.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-26 13:26 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home