Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9899100101102103104105106107108...LastNext
Current Page: 103 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 6, 2017 15:43

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
A Bigger Bang is the best album since 1986 if not 1981 IMHO (incl. B&L). I don't know where all the hate comes from. Minus Biggest Mistake (too schmaltzy), She Saw Me Coming (would have been a great b-side, but is too unfinished for an album cut) and 1-2 more, but plus Under The Radar it would have been a very good album, although still far from a classic. I don't expect them to reach this standard the next time (judging from the 2012 track, Crosseyed Heart & MJ's single - all poor efforts) - unfortunately.

I think the main beef people have with ABB consists of two things:

1. A very weak production / mix / sound
2. Way too many songs

The album per se is better than its reputation, imo. But I don't think Under The Radar would have improved it, and imo Biggest Mistake and She Saw Me Coming are both necessary ingredients to uphold the quality of the album.

Songs like Oh No, Not You Again, Streets Of Love and It Won't Take Long were totally unnecessary (imo).

When you make an album with almost as many songs as on Exile, you're bound to fail if the quality isn't good throughout.

I agree, but not with every detail. I actually think It Won't Take Long is the first real bummer since Start Me Up, but I seem to be the only one. Instead of releasing it as a single, the song was totally ignored, played in the wrong speed live twice and then immediately forgotten.

On the other hand I think She Saw Me Coming (which most folks really like) sounds more like an X-Pensive Winds rehearsal. Biggest Mistake is much better in it's full version with longer intro and not faded out.

Anyway, the 13 best songs/ 50 minutes would have been enough - but everybody has another list which ones to drop. I hope they don't pack 18 tunes on the next album, half of them rather poor.

This would have made a very good ABB, imo:

1. Rough Justice
2, Let Me Down Slow
3. Back of My Hand
4. Laugh, I Nearly Died
5. She Saw Me Coming
6. Dangerous Beauty
7. This Place Is Empty
8. Biggest Mistake
9. Rain Fall Down
10. Look What The Cat Dragged In

Whààààààààààààààààààààààààt... no Infamy...???!! smoking smiley

All kidding (although I mean it... I LOVE Infamy...) aside: that's quite a good sum- up of what makes this album better than generaly assumed (even amongst fans), Dandeee.

And it shows - again - how volatile all our individual preferences are.

I mean, even amongst fans we can wholeheartedly agree that 'a cerntain album', of, let's say: 20 songs, is too inconsitent because "there's too many songs of varying quality" on it;
we might even wholeheartedly agree about the percentage... f.i. "4 out of ten" considered "redundant"...
But when it comes to actually nàming these 8 songs in casu, opinions differ completely. And mind you: this is something that makes us, Stones fans, so special;
it's part of that little cosmic wonder we call the Rolling Stones...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2017 16:15

Witness
GasLightStreet
Sorry, Hairball!

I didn't see that KRiffhard posted it. It's difficult to see what the videos are if you're not paying attention enough if anything is said about them, which seems to be my case - I didn't see it.

What happened to being able to see the video? It's been a while since one could see a still of the video so you know what you're getting into.

I remember seeing something that showed the Stone, er, Mick and Charlie, doing Oh No Not You Again on TV and that alone had the energy and attitude of SOME GIRLS. Mick hopping up onto the drum riser at the end of the song... my thought was "COOL!"

What happened!!!?? That did not come through on the LP version. Such a shitty song. I like some Stones-by-numbers songs but when they're Mick-Stones-by-numbers songs it's just a root canal.

With some distant link to your SOME GIRLS reference:

If the band may be seen as in its time having moved along some route from "Dance"/ "Summer Romance"/"Send It to Me" kind of and level of EMOTIONAL RESCUE songs to "Tie You Up (Pain of Love)" /"Too Tough"/"All the Way Down" type and level of UNDERCOVER songs, I would have loved a band effort of a new studio album now to make a movement from the three first mentionned songs in another direction than they did by the last three mentionned songs.

I'd take something along the lines of Tie You Up, All The Way Down and Summer Romance.

Date: December 6, 2017 16:41

kish_stoned
why complain if the album comes with 18 tracks, cd can always be programme to play what u want hear.if fans found bootlegs with rubbish sound still buy. I like longer cds then play what one likes.KEEP ROCKING.

Because it reveals the weakness of a lack of focus. The Stones recorded over 40 songs for SOME GIRLS. As good as the LP is, they managed to leave some, at least musically, excellent songs off (Misty Roads, Fiji Jim, a few others), included a bore (Respectable) and a cover.

Aside from that aspect, what SOME GIRLS has is an attitude. Obviously they focused on what songs to finish, and if you go by what was released, only one additional song was finished and used as a B-side.

They did the same thing with EMOTIONAL RESCUE - recorded a ton of songs, managed to finish some SOME GIRLS leftovers, included some weird shit (Indian Girl, Send It To Me) but it didn't have an attitude like SOME GIRLS.

EXILE ON MAIN STREET is a gumbo - it's from several sessions for different albums - and its focus was to not have any at all - and it worked. Although no one seems to remember, it's highly likely that some of the songs were finished before they did the final overdubs in Los Angeles so it may've been somewhat easier than is lead to believe.

A BIGGER BANG is just a bunch of songs, some that are pretty good, but way too many songs - and some bad songs (with an end result (mastering) that makes it practically unbearable to listen to). In the 1970s they were challenged. By the 1990s they weren't challenged - and nobody told them 'This is a shit song'. Don Was is a yes man, not a That's shit man.

ABB is the highest example of that. Would you let the Stones release Streets Of Love or Oh No Not You Again or Sweet Neo Con? Or go back one LP - would you let the Stones release Might As Well Get Juiced, Already Over Me, Always Suffering and Gunface?

HELL NO. Too much 'because we can' crap. Some if not most of the best albums are between 35 and 45 minutes long (BEGGARS BANQUET is 39 minutes long, LET IT BLEED is 42 minutes, STICKY FINGERS is just over 46 minutes).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2017 16:46

That sums it up nicely in my opinion. I'm a quality over quantity person myself. But not everyone sees it that way. Fingers are crossed for a 10 songs masterpiece, or close to it.

Date: December 6, 2017 16:59

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
kish_stoned
why complain if the album comes with 18 tracks, cd can always be programme to play what u want hear.if fans found bootlegs with rubbish sound still buy. I like longer cds then play what one likes.KEEP ROCKING.

I like playing albums, trying to get into the artist's statement - rather than to shop songs. To each his own...

We're not in 1971 anymore, nowadays nothing comes with a statement, it's all about doing 5 versions of each album, with bonus and remixes, so die hards can buy each version and cash in on a dying market for physical product.

The Cult have done that... without soaking their fans, anway. 2 of their last 3 LPs had optional deluxe issues with non-LP and demo songs on a second disc - and no remixes (BORN INTO THIS Savage Edition) and 2 EPs on one disc (CHOICE OF WEAPON Deluxe Edition). And... one of them wasn't easy to find. And, unlike other deluxe releases, they didn't soak you at $25 or whatever, they were only a few more dollars. Perhaps being on an indie label helps somehow, I really don't know, but it seems that the bigger the label, the higher the price.

Their newest LP had a limited alternate cover version as a double vinyl album only available but no deluxe.

Date: December 6, 2017 17:10

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
A Bigger Bang is the best album since 1986 if not 1981 IMHO (incl. B&L). I don't know where all the hate comes from. Minus Biggest Mistake (too schmaltzy), She Saw Me Coming (would have been a great b-side, but is too unfinished for an album cut) and 1-2 more, but plus Under The Radar it would have been a very good album, although still far from a classic. I don't expect them to reach this standard the next time (judging from the 2012 track, Crosseyed Heart & MJ's single - all poor efforts) - unfortunately.

I think the main beef people have with ABB consists of two things:

1. A very weak production / mix / sound
2. Way too many songs

The album per se is better than its reputation, imo. But I don't think Under The Radar would have improved it, and imo Biggest Mistake and She Saw Me Coming are both necessary ingredients to uphold the quality of the album.

Songs like Oh No, Not You Again, Streets Of Love and It Won't Take Long were totally unnecessary (imo).

When you make an album with almost as many songs as on Exile, you're bound to fail if the quality isn't good throughout.

I agree, but not with every detail. I actually think It Won't Take Long is the first real bummer since Start Me Up, but I seem to be the only one. Instead of releasing it as a single, the song was totally ignored, played in the wrong speed live twice and then immediately forgotten.

On the other hand I think She Saw Me Coming (which most folks really like) sounds more like an X-Pensive Winds rehearsal. Biggest Mistake is much better in it's full version with longer intro and not faded out.

Anyway, the 13 best songs/ 50 minutes would have been enough - but everybody has another list which ones to drop. I hope they don't pack 18 tunes on the next album, half of them rather poor.

This would have made a very good ABB, imo:

1. Rough Justice
2, Let Me Down Slow
3. Back of My Hand
4. Laugh, I Nearly Died
5. She Saw Me Coming
6. Dangerous Beauty
7. This Place Is Empty
8. Biggest Mistake
9. Rain Fall Down
10. Look What The Cat Dragged In

Whààààààààààààààààààààààààt... no Infamy...???!! smoking smiley

All kidding (although I mean it... I LOVE Infamy...) aside: that's quite a good sum- up of what makes this album better than generaly assumed (even amongst fans), Dandeee.

And it shows - again - how volatile all our individual preferences are.

I mean, even amongst fans we can wholeheartedly agree that 'a cerntain album', of, let's say: 20 songs, is too inconsitent because "there's too many songs of varying quality" on it;
we might even wholeheartedly agree about the percentage... f.i. "4 out of ten" considered "redundant"...
But when it comes to actually nàming these 8 songs in casu, opinions differ completely. And mind you: this is something that makes us, Stones fans, so special;
it's part of that little cosmic wonder we call the Rolling Stones...

Ha ha ha - I've made 'better' versions on playlists of EOMS, SG, turned DW into a Harlem Shuffle EP, SW, VL, BTB and ABB.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:10

The 35-45 minute time constraint was due to the limitation of vinyl and not artistic choice. That may have had results some folks liked better, but ask yourself if the Stones put out a 12 track CD and another 6 tracks on CD singles or as a Ward Records bonus EP -- aren't most of us going to end up buying all of it anyway?

I suppose the other problem I have is whenever I think I agree that an album could be better if it was shortened, I rarely agree with what tracks should be cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 17:12 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 6, 2017 17:15

Rocky Dijon
The 35-45 minute time constraint was due to the limitation of vinyl and not artistic choice. That may have had results some folks liked better, but ask yourself if the Stones put out a 12 track CD and another 6 tracks on CD singles or as a Ward Records bonus EP -- aren't most of us going to end up buying all of it anyway?

Maybe. With Spotify and YouTube giving us options to listen to things, the decision(s) may be different than in, say, the 1980s when one would just automatically buy a single EP (vinyl or CD) because it had extra tracks and no way to know what they sounded like.

The past few years there don't seem to be single EP releases anymore, with some bands anyway, so it's all focused on deluxe issues, hard copy and digital.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:16

GasLightStreet
Witness
GasLightStreet
Sorry, Hairball!

I didn't see that KRiffhard posted it. It's difficult to see what the videos are if you're not paying attention enough if anything is said about them, which seems to be my case - I didn't see it.

What happened to being able to see the video? It's been a while since one could see a still of the video so you know what you're getting into.

I remember seeing something that showed the Stone, er, Mick and Charlie, doing Oh No Not You Again on TV and that alone had the energy and attitude of SOME GIRLS. Mick hopping up onto the drum riser at the end of the song... my thought was "COOL!"

What happened!!!?? That did not come through on the LP version. Such a shitty song. I like some Stones-by-numbers songs but when they're Mick-Stones-by-numbers songs it's just a root canal.

With some distant link to your SOME GIRLS reference:

If the band may be seen as in its time having moved along some route from "Dance"/ "Summer Romance"/"Send It to Me" kind of and level of EMOTIONAL RESCUE songs to "Tie You Up (Pain of Love)" /"Too Tough"/"All the Way Down" type and level of UNDERCOVER songs, I would have loved a band effort of a new studio album now to make a movement from the three first mentionned songs in another direction than they did by the last three mentionned songs.

I'd take something along the lines of Tie You Up, All The Way Down and Summer Romance.

I agree that the seventies albums all were so good with their respective 45 mins of playing time (quite long for vinyl at that, a lot of vinyl records were shorter). On the other hand, the complaint about A Bigger Bang (too many, weak, songs) goes for all post Dirty Work albums, even Steel Wheels with its, what, 54 mins, has about 3 or 4 songs you'd want to skip with the remote. Except perhaps Bridges To Babylon, which has only a handful of good songs, so thats the opposite as it were, in my opinion. Having said that, I think A Bigger Bang is really the best of them, with Voodoo Lounge as a close 2nd. In all practicality, one gets your amount of playing time, plus a few bad ones thrown in extra. Just skip them, I'd say.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:18

GasLightStreet
kish_stoned

Because it reveals the weakness of a lack of focus. The Stones recorded over 40 songs for SOME GIRLS. As good as the LP is, they managed to leave some, at least musically, excellent songs off (Misty Roads, Fiji Jim, a few others), included a bore (Respectable) and a cover.

Aside from that aspect, what SOME GIRLS has is an attitude. Obviously they focused on what songs to finish, and if you go by what was released, only one additional song was finished and used as a B-side.

They did the same thing with EMOTIONAL RESCUE - recorded a ton of songs, managed to finish some SOME GIRLS leftovers, included some weird shit (Indian Girl, Send It To Me) but it didn't have an attitude like SOME GIRLS.

EXILE ON MAIN STREET is a gumbo - it's from several sessions for different albums - and its focus was to not have any at all - and it worked. Although no one seems to remember, it's highly likely that some of the songs were finished before they did the final overdubs in Los Angeles so it may've been somewhat easier than is lead to believe.

A BIGGER BANG is just a bunch of songs, some that are pretty good, but way too many songs - and some bad songs (with an end result (mastering) that makes it practically unbearable to listen to). In the 1970s they were challenged. By the 1990s they weren't challenged - and nobody told them 'This is a shit song'. Don Was is a yes man, not a That's shit man.

ABB is the highest example of that. Would you let the Stones release Streets Of Love or Oh No Not You Again or Sweet Neo Con? Or go back one LP - would you let the Stones release Might As Well Get Juiced, Already Over Me, Always Suffering and Gunface?

HELL NO. Too much 'because we can' crap. Some if not most of the best albums are between 35 and 45 minutes long (BEGGARS BANQUET is 39 minutes long, LET IT BLEED is 42 minutes, STICKY FINGERS is just over 46 minutes).

Sorry I quoted the wrong message there, it should have been the one you see above THIS text, now.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:18

Rocky Dijon

I suppose the other problem I have is whenever I think I agree that an album could be better if it was shortened, I rarely agree with what tracks should be cut.

The 35-45 minute LP times produced "better" albums for my taste. On the other hand precious b-sides like Through The Lonely Nights or I Think I'm Going Mad got totally lost. I rediscovered the official take of ITIGM recently because it is on the 6CD Goldplate set of Undercover session stuff. Unlike the album tracks (many of which are not of this quality) I almost never listened to the b-side which was also not on the 2005 "rarities" release. Strange that they did hide it on the single; there's no real ballad on Undercover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 17:23 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 6, 2017 17:31

That is odd - almost criminal! - that I Think I'm Going Mad wasn't on RARITIES - but If I Was A Dancer and Mannish Boy (edit) was, which, of course, are already on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:39

GasLightStreet
That is odd - almost criminal! - that I Think I'm Going Mad wasn't on RARITIES - but If I Was A Dancer and Mannish Boy (edit) was, which, of course, are already on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.

That was the most idiotic release along with Live Licks. Well, unfortunately The Rolling Stones don't care about "their" official 2nd row releases. They don't get big bucks for these things...

Date: December 6, 2017 17:51

GasLightStreet
kish_stoned

If the backdrop on Some Girls was NYC, they surely were back in England for Emotional Rescue.

Actually, ER has attitude, but it's different. Those albums have that in common that the backbone of the album consists of fast-paced and hard-rocking tunes + that the rest of those albums are very varied in terms of musical styles.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 6, 2017 18:08

Keep it under 45 minutes PLEASE!! If they then have another 40 minutes of songs put out another album a year or two later.

Oh, BTW it better be better than good also or else.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 6, 2017 18:12

Maindefender
Keep it under 45 minutes PLEASE!! If they then have another 40 minutes of songs put out another album a year or two later.

Oh, BTW it better be better than good also or else.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

thumbs up smiling smiley

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 6, 2017 18:32

New CD will be nice.I can,t see them touring after 2018,they need to relax and smell the roses.

Date: December 6, 2017 18:46

babyblue
New CD will be nice.I can,t see them touring after 2018,they need to relax and smell the roses.

They have done that for years (roses or lemons, or whatever). Now it's time to get to work! drinking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2017 18:48

I'm all for quality over quantity, but I'm not sure that Mick, Keith, and Was et al are able to discern what actual quality is anymore, or at least quality that they could agree on. Mick might love (fill in blank) and think it's a masterpiece, while Keith thinks it's crap and prefers (fill in blank), while Don Was probably loves them all without question due to his awe of the Stones. Unfortunately Mick and Keith are no longer on the same page vision-wise - compare Crosseyed Heart to Getta Grip/England Lost, and they no longer write together (as it's been for awhile). They seemingly have completely different takes of whats good and what's not, and there's probably not much of a compromise between them at all anymore (unless it's blues covers). Instead of a single multi-headed monster, you have a bunch of individual monsters running around the studio fighting to get their individual way. This results in a disjointed haphazard result and a disconnect of tunes, so no matter how short or how long the album is, it will probably suffer one way or another. If this is the case with the upcoming release, probably the more the merrier just might be the answer - fans can pick and choose between what they like best. And if the final decision is to narrow it down to a 45 minute (short) album - and all are being stubborn and have separate favorites, it might as well be called "Slim Pickins". But who knows, maybe after Getta Grip and the No Filter Tour, they can all get together - maybe compromising their individual visions - and put something together that's fluid and cohesive. That would be the best case scenario - but someone or something needs to budge.

Date: December 6, 2017 18:59

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
kish_stoned

If the backdrop on Some Girls was NYC, they surely were back in England for Emotional Rescue.

Actually, ER has attitude, but it's different. Those albums have that in common that the backbone of the album consists of fast-paced and hard-rocking tunes + that the rest of those albums are very varied in terms of musical styles.

There's some NYC on ER. Dance, obviously, but Summer Romance and Down In The Hole could also be.

Date: December 6, 2017 19:06

Hairball
I'm all for quality over quantity, but I'm not sure that Mick, Keith, and Was et al are able to discern what actual quality is anymore, or at least quality that they could agree on. Mick might love (fill in blank) and think it's a masterpiece, while Keith thinks it's crap and prefers (fill in blank), while Don Was probably loves them all without question due to his awe of the Stones. Unfortunately Mick and Keith are no longer on the same page vision-wise - compare Crosseyed Heart to Getta Grip/England Lost, and they no longer write together (as it's been for awhile). They seemingly have completely different takes of whats good and what's not, and there's probably not much of a compromise between them at all anymore (unless it's blues covers). Instead of a single multi-headed monster, you have a bunch of individual monsters running around the studio fighting to get their individual way. This results in a disjointed haphazard result and a disconnect of tunes, so no matter how short or how long the album is, it will probably suffer one way or another. If this is the case with the upcoming release, probably the more the merrier just might be the answer - fans can pick and choose between what they like best. And if the final decision is to narrow it down to a 45 minute (short) album - and all are being stubborn and have separate favorites, it might as well be called "Slim Pickins". But who knows, maybe after Getta Grip and the No Filter Tour, they can all get together - maybe compromising their individual visions - and put something together that's fluid and cohesive. That would be the best case scenario - but someone or something needs to budge.

Unfortunately we've already got a record like what you describe. Hell, 2 of them if you want to count DIRTY WORK, which aside from getting Mick to do Harlem Shuffle, is just a disaster. Because even Keith's guitar tunes suffer. One Hit is a complete snore. Had It With You is one of the best tracks? That's just terrible.

BRIDGES suffers from the individualism, with really good (Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, You Don't Have To Mean It, How Can I Stop, Low Down) to horrible (MAWGJ, Gunface, the 2 ballads). Its weirdness is what makes it work, at least compared to DW and VL. But it's really just two solo albums with 2 true Stones (Jagger/Richards) songs (Flip and Too Tight).

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: December 6, 2017 19:09

Any news on the new album???

Date: December 6, 2017 19:13

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
kish_stoned

There's some NYC on ER. Dance, obviously, but Summer Romance and Down In The Hole could also be.

Yeah, true. Apart from lyrical referances, I had the feel, and especially, the accents in mind (british: «arse» and «daaance» etc.).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 19:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2017 19:15

Again I agree with GasLightStreet. B2B is already an individual Keith/Mick album. My friend and I easily saw this in '97 and discussed it in great length of course and what it meant to us. Somehow they need to pull on each others strengths and whip out a masterpiece. It's not impossible. How many of us are claiming this last tour they were in phenomenal form? Take for example Paris 2, who can say that sucked or was lacking somehow? They have the ability is my point. Now they have to put it down on record for the ages. They have the power, the question is will they use it?

Date: December 6, 2017 19:18

rocknola

Yep, here is everything we know, brilliantly summed up by Rocky:

5 December, 2015 - sessions commence at John Henry's Studio before moving to British Grove. Sessions end 18 December. 13 December is a day off. BLUE AND LONESOME is recorded 11 December, 14 December, and 15 December. All other dates are spent working on new material.

7 April 2016 - two weeks of mixing and overdubbing for BLUE AND LONESOME commences at British Grove.

13 June 2016 - sessions resume at British Grove on the new material begun in December. Sessions end 26 June.

16 February 2017 - Mick and Keith start a weeklong session at Germano Studios in New York to develop material for the new album together.

9 March 2017 - Keyon Harrold overdubs trumpet for a track for the new Stones album. Only Keith and producer Don Was are in attendance.

24 April 2017 - Ronnie and Charlie back Mick for "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" in sessions at Mick's home studio in Richmond during this week. The three attend the Jazz FM Awards on 25 April to accept awards on behalf of the band. Keith and Don Was are not present.

30 May 2017 - the band resumes recording sessions for the new album at British Grove. Sessions break on 9 June.

28 June 2017 - Keith records overdubs for the new album at Germano Studios in New York.

29 November 2017 - Keith works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Germano Studios in New York.

1 December 2017 - Mick works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Henson Studios in Los Angeles.

[dates verified with [timeisonourside.com] and [nzentgraf.de] ]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2017 19:43

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Unfortunately we've already got a record like what you describe. Hell, 2 of them if you want to count DIRTY WORK, which aside from getting Mick to do Harlem Shuffle, is just a disaster. Because even Keith's guitar tunes suffer. One Hit is a complete snore. Had It With You is one of the best tracks? That's just terrible.

BRIDGES suffers from the individualism, with really good (Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, You Don't Have To Mean It, How Can I Stop, Low Down) to horrible (MAWGJ, Gunface, the 2 ballads). Its weirdness is what makes it work, at least compared to DW and VL. But it's really just two solo albums with 2 true Stones (Jagger/Richards) songs (Flip and Too Tight).

They haven't made a really great album where they were all sort of on the same page since Tattoo You imo (even though it's a Frankenstein/patchwork type album w/some individuality), and before that Some Girls.
I like some of ER, but a majority it was weak and/or hasn't stood the test of time imo - including the title track. I could narrow it down to four or five (maybe six) good songs, but that's more than every album after that where I could pick one or two (or maybe three) at the most. A couple of them offer close to nothing imo. That's why Blue and Lonesome was a welcome surprise - even though it was all covers at least it was a cohesive album with all members being on the same page. Maybe the next new one will be a double release - one album of originals and the second one made up of more covers. It hasn't been easy being a Stones fan the last 35+ years based on studio output, but when I think of tours and vault releases, still a worthwhile band to follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 19:55 by Hairball.

Date: December 6, 2017 20:24

DandelionPowderman
rocknola

Yep, here is everything we know, brilliantly summed up by Rocky:

5 December, 2015 - sessions commence at John Henry's Studio before moving to British Grove. Sessions end 18 December. 13 December is a day off. BLUE AND LONESOME is recorded 11 December, 14 December, and 15 December. All other dates are spent working on new material.

7 April 2016 - two weeks of mixing and overdubbing for BLUE AND LONESOME commences at British Grove.

13 June 2016 - sessions resume at British Grove on the new material begun in December. Sessions end 26 June.

16 February 2017 - Mick and Keith start a weeklong session at Germano Studios in New York to develop material for the new album together.

9 March 2017 - Keyon Harrold overdubs trumpet for a track for the new Stones album. Only Keith and producer Don Was are in attendance.

24 April 2017 - Ronnie and Charlie back Mick for "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" in sessions at Mick's home studio in Richmond during this week. The three attend the Jazz FM Awards on 25 April to accept awards on behalf of the band. Keith and Don Was are not present.

30 May 2017 - the band resumes recording sessions for the new album at British Grove. Sessions break on 9 June.

28 June 2017 - Keith records overdubs for the new album at Germano Studios in New York.

29 November 2017 - Keith works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Germano Studios in New York.

1 December 2017 - Mick works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Henson Studios in Los Angeles.

[dates verified with [timeisonourside.com] and [nzentgraf.de] ]

Chuck Leavell did his overdubs in May 2016 in New Orleans.

Date: December 6, 2017 20:31

When we find ourselves saying I want an album like they did 40 years ago [SOME GIRLS], we need to remember that the Glimmers will be 75 next year, not 35. Our expectations need to acknowledge age, deterioration of drive and creativity, and two creative artists who agree to compromise. Expect what we get will be familiar, not a classic, but probably a small miracle in part at this late date. The something special was BLUE AND LONESOME if a blues cover album was your long-cherished dream.

Date: December 6, 2017 20:33

GasLightStreet

Chuck Leavell did his overdubs in May 2016 in New Orleans.

I know. I didn't think he was part of the request for when did The Stones actually work on material. If one of them was present, I would have mentioned it.

Date: December 6, 2017 21:07

Leavell was clearly an afterthought - and probably just to shut his whiny ass up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9899100101102103104105106107108...LastNext
Current Page: 103 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home