Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 11, 2017 02:55

Rokyfan
Frightened may be the wrong word, but given that B+L was both a critical and commercial success, they clearly do not want to put anything out that would fall short in either way. The last thing they want is reviews saying they should have stuck to the old stuff. They are not frightened, but they are concerned with their image.

They need to all go to the same studio at the same time and play. That's just my opinion. I don't see individual band members going into different studios ad hoc as a band working on an album. Working out songs in preparation for band sessions, OK. But it's just preliminary work, I think (hope?).

Perfectly stated and I agree / conceive your analysis to be 100% in line with mine. They aren't 'scared'...or worried.. they are concerned, careful and diligent because they realize that being as there has been so much time between albums that if they put out something fair or poor it would not be very good for their <current> reputation. There is a lot riding on this album .. and they are only going to get one shot at this .. and they know it.

No .. separate studios to put together an album is not a band working on an album .. it is a band putting together an album ..of sorts. I think Mick and Keith in separate studios is simply preliminary ... They have worked on it together (and alone already). I'm sure they are just working out songs individually with a few close music friends who can guide things along and get a better idea of what each wants to bring to the table for the last segment.

Then I am sure they will cover it as a band and do more together as a unit.. as you said.. I 'HOPE' lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 02:57 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:01

Having this division of camps with all of the outside help,assistance,guidance, and input from sources outside the band runs the risk of there being too many cooks in the kitchen.
Seems an odd way to work with a teammate - in separate locker rooms so to speak - designing separate strategies for the big game.
When they reunite on the field after the pep talk, they might be running in opposite directions or in circles not really knowing which way the goal line is.

Date: December 12, 2017 07:58

Hairball
Having this division of camps with all of the outside help,assistance,guidance, and input from sources outside the band runs the risk of there being too many cooks in the kitchen.
Seems an odd way to work with a teammate - in separate locker rooms so to speak - designing separate strategies for the big game.
When they reunite on the field after the pep talk, they might be running in opposite directions or in circles not really knowing which way the goal line is.

True .. but this is the way this album is going to work. Bridges To Babylon had much of this .. but they waited until they were in the studio side by side and they argued over it and did things in separate rooms at one point because of the disagreement.

This time that segment will be eliminated. The songs will be mostly based all beforehand.. and the entire band will work on em together when they arrive at the studio ...versus Mick and Keith bickering it out on the spot. <All> will have to like the result. As well .. I'm sure Mick and Keith wrote some tracks together as well .. They spent a week together .. Im sure they got at least four to six keepers out of that batch.

My only concern here is that they can overcook it .. However they have worked on this things in small spurts ..

This record is made differently than ones in the past.. They have a new technique for this one .. One that was necessary .. not an accident.. and it is based on them trying to make it work for this record at hand.

I think they know what they are doing... (hopefully lol)

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 12, 2017 08:02

Wouldn't it be easier to finish 12 or 15 excellent and still unused outtakes from 1977 onwards like Fiji Jim or Still In Love (the latter was revisited not so long ago)? It would probably be the better album than mediocre all new stuff and it wouldn't take five years. They live in the past anyway, have nothing to lose. And at least it would be their own stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-12 08:45 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 12, 2017 08:19

Monsoon Ragoon
Wouldn't it be easier to finish 12 or 15 excellent and still unused outtakes from 1977 onwards like Fiji Jim or Still In Love (the latter was revisited not so long ago)? It would probably be the better album than mediocre all new stuff and I wouldn't take five years.

Agree Monsoon - was just reading all about Tattoo You in the "Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes" thread (great thread by the way), and don't see why they couldn't repeat that process of cobbling bits and pieces from the past to make something "new" and great.

IanBillen
I'm sure Mick and Keith wrote some tracks together as well .. They spent a week together .. Im sure they got at least four to six keepers out of that batch.

You really think so Ian? At least least four to six keepers after working together for only a week?
Hmmmm...sounds a bit unrealistic given the circumstances, but I suppose it's possible?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 12, 2017 10:35

Monsoon Ragoon
Wouldn't it be easier to finish 12 or 15 excellent and still unused outtakes from 1977 onwards like Fiji Jim or Still In Love (the latter was revisited not so long ago)? It would probably be the better album than mediocre all new stuff and it wouldn't take five years. They live in the past anyway, have nothing to lose. And at least it would be their own stuff.

thumbs up

I totally agree. They could work on the best 4/5 outtakes from previuos sessions.
They have good stuff like Fiji Jim, What's the matter, Treat me like a fool, She Never Listen to me, Chain Saw Rocker, Not the way to Go, Eliza...

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-12 10:37 by KRiffhard.

Date: December 12, 2017 10:37

KRiffhard
Monsoon Ragoon

thumbs up

I totally agree. They could work on the best 4/5 outtakes from previuos sessions.
They have good stuff like Fiji Jim, What's the matter, Treat me like a fool, She Never Listen to me, Chain Saw Rocker, Not the way to Go, Eliza...

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

I hope they'll do both. A new album now. Touched up outtakes later smoking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 12, 2017 11:02

KRiffhard
Monsoon Ragoon

thumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Agreed.maybe do a double album of outtakes abd before the Uk tour their new album.
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 12, 2017 17:25

corriecas
KRiffhard
Monsoon Ragoon

thumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Agreed.maybe do a double album of outtakes abd before the Uk tour their new album.
Jeroen

Double album: New original material and older outtakes.....I've tried this title before and still like it: "Old, New, Borrowed and Blue"

Date: December 12, 2017 17:56

Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon
Wouldn't it be easier to finish 12 or 15 excellent and still unused outtakes from 1977 onwards like Fiji Jim or Still In Love (the latter was revisited not so long ago)? It would probably be the better album than mediocre all new stuff and I wouldn't take five years.

Agree Monsoon - was just reading all about Tattoo You in the "Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes" thread (great thread by the way), and don't see why they couldn't repeat that process of cobbling bits and pieces from the past to make something "new" and great.

IanBillen
I'm sure Mick and Keith wrote some tracks together as well .. They spent a week together .. Im sure they got at least four to six keepers out of that batch.

You really think so Ian? At least least four to six keepers after working together for only a week?
Hmmmm...sounds a bit unrealistic given the circumstances, but I suppose it's possible?

Howdy ..They have written three songs a day .. and enough for a whole album in two weeks in their somewhat recent past (including A Bigger Bang .. according to Don Was he was saying they were writing 'three a day' at times). I'm not saying the songs they wrote in that week were all finished at that point or 110% written ... Im saying they easily have the basis for them written and that 4 or six of them are worthy to be worked up by the band or built upon as keepers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-12 17:56 by IanBillen.

Date: December 12, 2017 18:28

Maindefender
corriecas
KRiffhard
Monsoon Ragoon

thumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Jeroen

Double album: New original material and older outtakes.....I've tried this title before and still like it: "Old, New, Borrowed and Blue"

Or Yesterday and Today...doesn't matter if the Beatles used it first, that's never stopped the Stones from borrowing ideas from them in the past.

Or maybe they could do a stand alone album of originals with an additional deluxe edition filled with older outtakes. Also a Super deluxe that includes originals, outtakes, and some live rarities from the latter era.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 12, 2017 21:47

Hairball
Maindefender
corriecas
KRiffhard
Monsoon Ragoon

thumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Jeroen

Or Yesterday and Today...doesn't matter if the Beatles used it first, that's never stopped the Stones from borrowing ideas from them in the past.

Or maybe they could do a stand alone album of originals with an additional deluxe edition filled with older outtakes. Also a Super deluxe that includes originals, outtakes, and some live rarities from the latter era.

Plus the Japanese bonus cuts??

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 12, 2017 22:35

Worried and supossed. Nice title for the new album

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: December 12, 2017 23:43

I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

Date: December 12, 2017 23:57

Whether that's all true or not, makes for an excellent story! thumbs up

Date: December 13, 2017 00:31

Bungo

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

Too good to be true!

Date: December 13, 2017 00:45

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 31, 2016 21:27

Well....... MY source tells me that The Stones intend for this to be their last and greatest recording effort in the same the way that Abbey Road was for The Beatles. So... this should be pretty incredible.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 13, 2017 01:14

And which album would have to go for the "Naked" version? HSM? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out VL? eye popping smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 01:18

Monsoon Ragoon

YES.

Date: December 13, 2017 01:21

IanBillen
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

IanBillen

Howdy ..They have written three songs a day .. and enough for a whole album in two weeks in their somewhat recent past (including A Bigger Bang .. according to Don Was he was saying they were writing 'three a day' at times). I'm not saying the songs they wrote in that week were all finished at that point or 110% written ... Im saying they easily have the basis for them written and that 4 or six of them are worthy to be worked up by the band or built upon as keepers.

Wouldn't 110% written be overwritten?

Date: December 13, 2017 01:24

Bungo

smoking smiley

I almost spit my pizza out laughing at that. Hilarious!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2017 01:43

delusions of grandeur ............

ROCKMAN

Date: December 13, 2017 04:46

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

IanBillen

Wouldn't 110% written be overwritten?

What I mean is the melody.. bridge... chorus basis and chord structure would be in place...or basically in place. When thes songs hit the studio or with the full band at some location you can alter a bit..or change key and tempo and add instruments .. or a middle 8 or something but the songs 'foundation' would at least be in place ...even if it is simply written on a couple of acoustic guitars. That's how songs are 'written'. After they are written ... they often get 'worked out and mapped out or altered or added to in someones home with more members or with the whole band at a studio ... The song is then rehearsed and finally recorded.

Not to try and act like I'm giving anyone a lesson but that is how it goes. I'm saying at least 4-6 songs with their foundation would be good to go to move onto the next step from that week with Mick and Keith ... The songs would be there ...but not all mapped out, arranged, and with everything in place as when we finally hear it on the album.

That is how songs are written and finally recorded. Initially the song idea ..chord structure... and basis is there and then they move onto the next one to write in a writing session. Later..the song is added to or altered and arranged ..then rehearsed..then recorded. I am hoping at least 4-6 song keepers to work up were kept from that session ...who knows.. maybe a few more? Or at least a few more from when they got together again (if they had) at some point.

I've been in recording sessions when three members were overdubbing and on a 1/2 hour lunch break the two song writers in the hallway away from everything wrote a damn good rock track...one of the best ones on the entire album ... just with a couple acoustic guitars over a half hour while others were doing overdubs in the room next door. Two weeks later the band worked on the song and the next week it was recorded... All from a 1/2 hour lunch break in which the two started toying around with a few acoustic guitars ..unplanned. Just happened between the two song writers. I am 'hoping' there may be some interchanges like that with all the segments (though short segments) with Mick and Keith .. (who knows?).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 04:54 by IanBillen.

Date: December 13, 2017 05:26

Interesting stuff Ian. thumbs up

Hopefully some of the songs they've worked on aren't already outdated lyric wise- an example being if Mick had written something about the Trump/Clinton debates....not very relevant anymore.
Or a song about the Zika virus - a big story in 2016 and maybe still relevant, but might not have the same impact as it would have if released last year.

Date: December 13, 2017 06:31

Hairball
Interesting stuff Ian. thumbs up

Hopefully some of the songs they've worked on aren't already outdated lyric wise- an example being if Mick had written something about the Trump/Clinton debates....not very relevant anymore.
Or a song about the Zika virus - a big story in 2016 and maybe still relevant, but might not have the same impact as it would have if released last year.

Lol Ikr ...seriously. I mean as we all know this thing has stretched back quite a while already... two years now to be exact. LOTS has happened in the world in the two years since they started this record.

Hopefully there will not be any outtakes from the 2002 two week session in which they may of wrote about the SARS scare ... or yet another tune about George Bush Administration and such ... I don't think those topics would sound very relevant anymore.. Would they....? ... :/ ... grinning smiley hehe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 06:34 by IanBillen.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2017 10:48

Ian, I don't think they worry to much about 'relevance'.
Just consider their concert set lists!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 13, 2017 11:53

"Naked and worried, but suppossed"

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 13, 2017 12:11

I fear they will make a fool of themselves with cuts similar to Rough Justice or Sparks Will Fly. You can record things like that at 62, but when you're in your mid-70s? I don't know.

Date: December 13, 2017 12:18

Monsoon Ragoon
I fear they will make a fool of themselves with cuts similar to Rough Justice or Sparks Will Fly. You can record things like that at 62, but when you're in your mid-70s? I don't know.

They're still highly engaged in those activities. Why shouldn't they write about it? Heck, they are busy making babies! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2017 12:38

hhhhaaa didn't know there was an age limit on those kinda things ...

Reminds me of gr....a but heck NO I promised LG I wouldn't mention it again ... XFX

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2205
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home