Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 18, 2017 07:20

Hairball
Hi Ian. I was also hoping and thinking they would at least talk about the album during the tour- whether it was during soundchecks, backstage, or wherever...or even while traveling in between cities. And if I recall, someone was doubting any of that could happen...saying "why would they talk about a new album at soundcheck? Or backstage? Or anywhere? They're in the middle of a tour"!!! But sure enough, mpj200 let it be known that it never happened, so I have to put my trust in his inside knowledge of the situation. And now Mick says he hasn't listened to any of the tracks "for awhile, probably not since the Stones took off on tour earlier this summer"....in other words months ago. Make of that what you will - if you think they worked on it during the tour or even talked about it behind closed doors during the tour, that's your choice. But something tells me it was the furthest thing from any of their minds as they had priorities to deal with and taking care of the business at hand - the No Filter Tour. What we know now based on what Don Was said ..."You probably won't see it in 2018."

I doubt they worked on it on tour. I never thought that much .. but I do think album conversation .. though general occurred. Mick hasn't given the album much thought at all it seems since the tour started ... I totally agree there.

Universal wants an album this year.. a new album of originals .. Im sure their contract stated a delivery year... doubt they would settle for 2019 with a band their age and being as they started the album in 2015.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 07:22 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 18, 2017 08:22

Hairball
IanBillen
We now know Mick was actually going through Rolling Stones songs ..>>WHILE ON TOUR<< .

Hmmmm....

The way I read that quote "I have not heard it for a while, probably not since the Stones took off on tour earlier this summer" is that he hasn't listened to or even thought about the tracks since before the tour started which was Sept. 9 (over three months ago). Maybe at the very beginning of the tour, burt definitely not towards the middle or end. It was mpj200 who gave us some inside info about the album not being talked about, and there's no reason to doubt him as nothing in that quote from Mick indicates the Stones as a band gave it any thought at all. But back in L.A. a week or so ago , he's finally giving it some thought again. "I'm gonna pick out the ones I really like...I'm in the process but not quite there yet". If these recordings were anywhere close to completion, you would think he could sit down and pick out the ones he likes within a few hours or a few days at the most and then send them to Keith. Maybe Mick is second guessing all the work that was done, or at the very least heavily scrutinizing it all. Which makes me wonder what Keith was doing in the New York studio besides working on new ideas for a Stones album - maybe he has a plan B if the Stones album keeps getting brushed aside.

The material is crap - that's what he says indirectly with this sentence. And: they have no intention to actually release the so called new album in 2018. They just hang around and wait for the next 14 shows where they each get a million bucks per show for playing the 18 same songs (plus two different ones). Sounds hard, but... that's how things like this end.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 08:48 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 18, 2017 16:17

Monsoon Ragoon
Hairball
IanBillen
We now know Mick was actually going through Rolling Stones songs ..>>WHILE ON TOUR<< .

Hmmmm....

The way I read that quote "I have not heard it for a while, probably not since the Stones took off on tour earlier this summer" is that he hasn't listened to or even thought about the tracks since before the tour started which was Sept. 9 (over three months ago). Maybe at the very beginning of the tour, burt definitely not towards the middle or end. It was mpj200 who gave us some inside info about the album not being talked about, and there's no reason to doubt him as nothing in that quote from Mick indicates the Stones as a band gave it any thought at all. But back in L.A. a week or so ago , he's finally giving it some thought again. "I'm gonna pick out the ones I really like...I'm in the process but not quite there yet". If these recordings were anywhere close to completion, you would think he could sit down and pick out the ones he likes within a few hours or a few days at the most and then send them to Keith. Maybe Mick is second guessing all the work that was done, or at the very least heavily scrutinizing it all. Which makes me wonder what Keith was doing in the New York studio besides working on new ideas for a Stones album - maybe he has a plan B if the Stones album keeps getting brushed aside.

The material is crap - that's what he says indirectly with this sentence. And: they have no intention to actually release the so called new album in 2018. They just hang around and wait for the next 14 shows where they each get a million bucks per show for playing the 18 same songs (plus two different ones). Sounds hard, but... that's how things like this end.

People actually think that because they have been talking about a new album for years and they go into the studio now and then that there are actual tracks, that there are songs in existence, recorded, that are going to be on a new album? They put out their new album, called Blue and Lonesome. The PR machine always says they are working on a new album because that's how they continue the illusion that they are a working band. They will tour the UK and we will continue to read stories about how they are working on a new album. Maybe we will see some tracks in the future when they empty the vaults.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 18, 2017 16:19

Heinz57...where are you?!! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 16:19 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 18, 2017 17:36

What is the point? They’ve said everything they had to say years ago.mick and Keith have long since lost the ability to write anything but average at best songs.micks two songs were horrible and despite Keith’s cult of personality pumping it for all its worth,his last record was boring.listening to a senior citizen carrying on with “huh, yeah substantial damage baby”isn’t great rock and roll unless you’re just pretending.

Look at the past three-voodoo lounge ,mick and Keith had used their best songs for two solo albums and left table scraps for the stones.
Bridges wasn’t even a band effort but two meshed solo records sold as the Stones and a bigger bang they didn’t even finish,they basically put out a collection of demos.

The Stones have about as much chances of putting out something great as The Who does of
making another Whos Next.they were smart enough to quit in 05 before they destroyed the catalogue, they should keep it that way.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: December 18, 2017 17:50

lem motlow
listening to a senior citizen carrying on with “huh, yeah substantial damage baby”isn’t great rock and roll unless you’re just pretending.

If you are content listening to Beggar's Banquet over and over, why advocate denying me new Stones music just because you don't like it. They can do what they want. Don't buy it. Your whole argument sounds just like the stereotypical "senior citizen carrying on".

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: December 18, 2017 17:59

Sipuncula
lem motlow
listening to a senior citizen carrying on with “huh, yeah substantial damage baby”isn’t great rock and roll unless you’re just pretending.

If you are content listening to Beggar's Banquet over and over, why advocate denying me new Stones music just because you don't like it. They can do what they want. Don't buy it. Your whole argument sounds just like the stereotypical "senior citizen carrying on".

To be fair I think Lem Motlow has a point. When you read it in black and white a guy in his mid 70s mumbling "Substantial Damage" does seen faintly ludicrous.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 18, 2017 20:02

KevinLocksPerm
Sipuncula
lem motlow

To be fair I think Lem Motlow has a point. When you read it in black and white a guy in his mid 70s mumbling "Substantial Damage" does seen faintly ludicrous.

Luckily for the human race, listening to music is not the same thing as reading in black and white.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2017 20:49

I thought Substantial Damage was hilarious.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 18, 2017 22:05

Sipuncula
lem motlow

I would never advocate denying you a collection of Richards/Jordan-Jagger/Clifford songs that say Jagger/Richards on them.look at the page on rollingstones.com that has the entire catalog together-the last one has what looks like a remake of back to the egg for a cover and contains a song that shares a title with 80s hair band poisons “look what the cat dragged in”to be fair to ol Brett and CC the lyrics aren’t much better.I remember seeing Keith saying that title and thinking -great,can’t wait for your version of “talk dirty to me”
When you begin remaking goodnight Irene it’s time to be held by your arm and quietly led away.
England lost ..England lost,no Mick I think the record buying public lost...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 18, 2017 22:34

lem motlow
Sipuncula
lem motlow

I would never advocate denying you a collection of Richards/Jordan-Jagger/Clifford songs that say Jagger/Richards on them.look at the page on rollingstones.com that has the entire catalog together-the last one has what looks like a remake of back to the egg for a cover and contains a song that shares a title with 80s hair band poisons “look what the cat dragged in”to be fair to ol Brett and CC the lyrics aren’t much better.I remember seeing Keith saying that title and thinking -great,can’t wait for your version of “talk dirty to me”
When you begin remaking goodnight Irene it’s time to be held by your arm and quietly led away.
England lost ..England lost,no Mick I think the record buying public lost...

Glad lem isn't running the Department of Euthanasia or Mandatory Retirement. I personally like "Goodnight Irene" in both it's original format as well as many of the covers including Keith's. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that I listen to both Leadbelly's and Keith's versions again before giving either "England Lost" or Mick's other recent groundbreaking (or was it Earth Shattering?) single another spin. Fully agreed with lem in his assessment that "the record buying public lost" though... I didn't pay a penny and I'd still like a refund.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 18, 2017 22:38

US sales

2.500,000 Steel Wheels
2.400,000 Voodoo Lounge
1.400,000 Bridges To Babylon
650,000 A Bigger Bang
350,000 Blue & Lonesome

85-90% of the buying public of Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge has lost interest on new material years ago.

That's a fact and the band knows that, the new album will be released someday but is not a priority anymore.

Date: December 18, 2017 22:44

A BIGGER BANG sold over a million in the US when it was released originally. It was RIAA certified platinum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 22:49 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 18, 2017 22:58

GasLightStreet
A BIGGER BANG sold over a million in the US when it was released originally. It was RIAA certified platinum.

It was CERTIFIED Platinum, but the real sales are 650,000 copies.

Actually, it was certified Platinum after 5 weeks of release with 276,000 copies sold at the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 23:01 by georgelicks.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 18, 2017 23:03

I can never understand why the group doesn't follow Eric Clapton (and many others) strategy of mixing new albums with:
- new EC penned tracks
- old standards
- new material by other songwriters (JJ Cale, Stevie Wonder for example).

That way Mick and Keith need only come up with around 5 new compositions.
An album every 5 years
SO
one new work each year. Is that too much to ask?
The 'fans' would buy into that, surely?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 18, 2017 23:13

Stones should record EC-penned tracks?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 18, 2017 23:17

Bjorn
Stones should record EC-penned tracks?

Well,in the absence of any new material that they can all agree on. Why not.
EC can be a guest guitarist. He played on The Beatles album after all.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 18, 2017 23:50

georgelicks
US sales

2.500,000 Steel Wheels
2.400,000 Voodoo Lounge
1.400,000 Bridges To Babylon
650,000 A Bigger Bang
350,000 Blue & Lonesome

85-90% of the buying public of Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge has lost interest on new material years ago.

That's a fact and the band knows that, the new album will be released someday but is not a priority anymore.

So worldwide sales don't matter any more??

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 19, 2017 00:29

jlowe
I can never understand why the group doesn't follow Eric Clapton (and many others) strategy of mixing new albums with:
- new EC penned tracks
- old standards
- new material by other songwriters (JJ Cale, Stevie Wonder for example).

That way Mick and Keith need only come up with around 5 new compositions.
An album every 5 years
SO
one new work each year. Is that too much to ask?
The 'fans' would buy into that, surely?

EC is a person. Mick and keith are two people who used to be a team, years ago. Thats the difference. Clapton, dylan, young. They work alone.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 19, 2017 01:09

IanBillen

Universal wants an album this year.. a new album of originals .. Im sure their contract stated a delivery year... doubt they would settle for 2019 with a band their age and being as they started the album in 2015.

The Stones aren't even a blip on the Universal radar. They're more interested in Greta Van Fleet (and a thousand other acts) - and finding the next Greta Van Fleet. Anyway 2019 is just 54 or so weeks away.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 19, 2017 02:21

I thought Doom & Gloom was a great track, and really like Crosseyed Heart. Even England Lost was ok. If they do another record I'm up for it.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 19, 2017 03:06

I thought D&G was a good track as well.

I also liked OMS except the love-a-love-a-love chorus which to me "cheapened" the track a bit.

Date: December 19, 2017 03:32

georgelicks
GasLightStreet

Actually, it was certified Platinum after 5 weeks of release with 276,000 copies sold at the time.

How can that be? RIAA goes by what's sold!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 19, 2017 03:51

Don't forget the record-buying public meanwhile consists just of boring old farts like us (I guess we're all over 21 here ...). The youngsters do a bit of streaming maybe or watch the odd cat video on youtube but on the whole they don't listen to music the way we do anylonger. The decline of record sales can certainly be correlated with the BOF death rate...

If the Stones give me another good piece of BOF music that's perfectly fine with me.

As for the old Keith's best!-No, Mick!-No, Keith!-Taste my fist, bugger!-whack-boom-whack thing, musically the two of them are possibly closer than we think. To me, Gotta Get A Grip is pretty Keith-ish in its attitude: 'I got a chord, why bother about another one?' This approach was rather Keith's domain so far ... grinning smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 19, 2017 05:11

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
GasLightStreet

How can that be? RIAA goes by what's sold!

RIAA goes by what record companies sold to retail, not what actual customers bought. So it's possible that an album goes gold or platinum but it's in the cheap bin anyway.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 19, 2017 05:15

DeanGoodman
IanBillen

The Stones aren't even a blip on the Universal radar. They're more interested in Greta Van Fleet (and a thousand other acts) - and finding the next Greta Van Fleet. Anyway 2019 is just 54 or so weeks away.

They paid them millions to deliver an album .. Record companies aren't the most charitable organizations on the planet. If they are paying for something.. (millions) .. even though it's The Rolling Stones ...they want to know when they will get it. Is to be next year. That is why The Rolling Stones lawyers and Universal execs and their lawyers met and signed off on.

Isn't a playground .. it's business.

Date: December 19, 2017 05:30

They paid them millions to deliver an album .. Record companies aren't the most charitable organizations on the planet. If they are paying for something.. (millions) .. even though it's The Rolling Stones ...they want to know when they will get it. Is to be next year. That is why The Rolling Stones lawyers and Universal execs and their lawyers met and signed off on.

Isn't a playground .. it's business.[/quote]

They already paid them?
Btw, I read that it was going to be 2 million for the new album (I forget which currency) but thats really a far cry from the 60 million or so that they got for the 4 album deal with CBS in the 80s. And that was considered cheap at the time (of course they never made those 4 albums but thats another story).
Really, today record companies pay nothing, if the album fails the artist even has to pay the costs back in most cases. In all honesty I can see why a 2 million deal isnt that enticing for the Stones.

Date: December 19, 2017 05:32

Somehow I cant figure out how this quote stuff works here, sorry smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:08

There are a small handful of people on this site who know the inner workings and intricacies of the music business inside and out.
They don't waste their time speculating ad nauseum like some of us here, and graciously share facts and/or inside info. based on their knowledge, experience, expertise, and wisdom.
Thanks to their input, we've been able to follow this long and winding road which unfortunately seems to be heading towards a dead end for now.

"You probably won't see it in 2018." - Don Was

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:09

IanBillen

I imagine the bulk of the advance was against sales of the back catalog. None of us have seen the contract, but I'm sure it runs to many hundreds of pages and covers every eventuality, up to and including alien invasion. Universal will just have to wait, like the rest of us. The Stones (and their lawyers) don't care.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home