Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Date: December 14, 2017 15:00

Monsoon Ragoon
marcovandereijk
Parodies of a genre are different from parodies of themselves.
Was the first parody of a genre "Something happened to me yesterday"?
Could it be "Gomper" was a parodie of psychodelica?
I love them doing parodies that are musically great, but give us something funny too.

What I mean are self-parodies, e.g. relative weak rockers with embarrassing "cock"-lyrics by a relatively old author. Critics all over the world laughed about shit like Sparks Will Fly, but the Stones (who didn't play a much better song like Blinded By Rainbow even once) played the thing in 130 shows. Probably they didn't even consider it a parody.

I'm not a big fan of Sparks Will Fly (It's ok), but Blinded By Rainbows is utterly disposable to me. The Worst and Out Of Tears were much better on that album.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 14, 2017 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
marcovandereijk
I love them doing parodies that are musically great, but give us something funny too.

What I mean are self-parodies, e.g. relative weak rockers with embarrassing "cock"-lyrics by a relatively old author. Critics all over the world laughed about shit like Sparks Will Fly, but the Stones (who didn't play a much better song like Blinded By Rainbow even once) played the thing in 130 shows. Probably they didn't even consider it a parody.

I'm not a big fan of Sparks Will Fly (It's ok), but Blinded By Rainbows is utterly disposable to me. The Worst and Out Of Tears were much better on that album.

Well, it's a matter of taste. I couldn't mention TW and OOT because they were actually played.

Date: December 14, 2017 15:10

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
marcovandereijk

Well, it's a matter of taste. I couldn't mention TW and OOT because they were actually played.

They could have done Mean Disposition. IMO, one of the best rockers on VL.

Date: December 14, 2017 15:13

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
marcovandereijk

Better idea than SWF every show. But I don't think it would work in stadiums.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 14, 2017 15:54

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
There's no "age limit on those kind a things" but I prefer good songs, not parodies. I don't want the last album to be a bad joke.

We'll have to rule out songs with the calibre of Dear Doctor, Country Honk, Dead Flowers and Far Away Eyes, then...

These are no idiotic pseudo-Stones tunes.

"Far Away Eyes" is.

All of them have elements of parody, in one way or the other.

Yes, but the others are good songs, not idiotic. Although Dear Doctor is bordering on the ridiculous with it's "Darling, I'm sorry, to hurt you", but it's still good.
"Far Away Eyes" has great potential, but the tongue in cheek has become a bulldozer in cheek with all the Jesus stuff, which is a pity.

Far Away Eyes is also a good song with a killer chorus, performed excellently. In fact, it's performed and recorded way better than all those other songs (which I also love), imo.

It's true that the chorus is good (I wouldn't call it a killer) and it's played well, but the "huge tongue in cheek" destroys it.
From those four, "Dead Flowers" is my favourite, "Country Honk" is great, although the hill-billy accent is on the edge, "Dear Doctor" somehow gets saved because the melody is so good and the production and how it fits on the album. "Far Away Eyes" I always skip, it's too vaudeville and cannot be taken serious. It would have made a decent sketch for Monty Python.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 15:56 by matxil.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 14, 2017 15:57

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
marcovandereijk

Well, I specifically like the fearce Rockabilly vibe & swagger of it.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 14, 2017 15:59

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there w8ith Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the konversasjon.
smoking smiley

I am one of possibly very few here, who will gladly receive broadly such an ingredient, which is allotted an epithet of that kind, given that it would be where Mick currently prefers to go, while I on the other hand want to be spared from as much as possible of that "C-E H" type of anemic feeeeling.

If the two of them, however, could meet in an EMOTIONAL RESCUE oriented "musical terrain", might be an ideal compromise between them

That's interesting, as songs like Heartstopper, Amnesia, Love Overdue and Robbed Blind easily could have been on Emotional Rescue.

Or did you perhaps mean ER, the song?

???

I meant the album, yes!

Musically, the songs I mentioned could have been on ER:

Heartstopper – A standard rocker like (take a pick on ER)
Amnesia – A mid-tempo rocker like Let Me Go
Love Overdue – A reggae-track like Send It To Me
Robbed Blind – A country-tinged ballad like Indian Girl

We could also add:

Suspicious – A jazzy ballad like All About You
Blues In The Morning – A bluesy rocker like (take a pick on ER)

Mostly, the only difference is that it is Keith who's singing, and not Mick. The variety of genres are there on both albums.

But then you are the one repeatedly to tell me that you find BETWEEN THE BUTTONS as Kinks related, where upon I have responded something like, in how I experience those terms, that to me the flavour and feel of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and the Kinks are widely apart.

And then, as I have read here, we are told that for Keith to be approaching a certain right feeling about a song is what is primarily relevant for that song. Well, in that case, the songs of the said album, C-E H, to me have a quite anemic feel and flavours (once again, how I use those terms) and I might add arrangements. Accordingly, I have to say, your presented deep down and fundamental "grammatical" description of song likenesses and genres does not do much for me. To me the "surface" of songs is a very important aspect of them and what vitally makes songs and sometimes even genres different .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2017 20:59

Crosseyed Heart is a great album as it is, and I don't think making it a Stones album or having Jagger sing the vocals would have "bettered" it in any way. But then again, there's the possibly that if Keith brought the skeletal demos of those CH songs to the table at the beginning of a Stones record - maybe it would have turned into something good? Or would Mick demand to add his bells and whistles and other contemporary gadgets (drum machines, etc.), and make it all worse ala Getta Grip/England Lost? Would Mick sap the life out of the songs if he were to have re-written all of Keith's classy lyrics and turned them into social commentary ala Getta Grip/England Lost? Or maybe Mick would have realized these skeletal demos were diamonds in the rough, allowing them to form and evolve naturally, letting them breath, having confidence in Keith's vision. Hard to say which way it would have gone, but this seems to be sort of dilemma that's happening now with the new album - the clash between visions and egos (traditional vs. experimental/contemporary). Wahetever the case, glad Crosseyed Heart turned out the way it is - untainted and true to Keith's vision.

*If memory serves, I think Trouble was originally intended or conceived to be a Stones song. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), it was saved for Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 14, 2017 21:57

Hairball
Crosseyed Heart is a great album as it is, and I don't think making it a Stones album or having Jagger sing the vocals would have "bettered" it in any way. But then again, there's the possibly that if Keith brought the skeletal demos of those CH songs to the table at the beginning of a Stones record - maybe it would have turned into something good? Or would Mick demand to add his bells and whistles and other contemporary gadgets (drum machines, etc.), and make it all worse ala Getta Grip/England Lost? Would Mick sap the life out of the songs if he were to have re-written all of Keith's classy lyrics and turned them into social commentary ala Getta Grip/England Lost? Or maybe Mick would have realized these skeletal demos were diamonds in the rough, allowing them to form and evolve naturally, letting them breath, having confidence in Keith's vision. Hard to say which way it would have gone, but this seems to be sort of dilemma that's happening now with the new album - the clash between visions and egos (traditional vs. experimental/contemporary). Wahetever the case, glad Crosseyed Heart turned out the way it is - untainted and true to Keith's vision.

*If memory serves, I think Trouble was originally intended or conceived to be a Stones song. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), it was saved for Crosseyed Heart.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 15, 2017 02:40

One more 'bad bad bad Mick - I hope jesus Keith saves us' thread. Classical Rolling Stones fanhood. But we all love love myths and romanticism, right?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 02:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 15, 2017 02:50

Doxa
One more 'bad bad bad Mick - I hope jesus Keith saves us' thread. Classical Rolling Stones fanhood. But we all love love myths and romanticism, right?

- Doxa
It's like a weird cult..
Kind of amusing how predictable (and wrong) the trolling is though.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 15, 2017 03:05

Since nobody is any longer interested in any new Rolling Stones output (because I am sure it will be more or less sapotaged by MicK Jagger, which mean disaster, will it happen or not), let us go back to Exile-standard of greatness and let us talk about the very recent masterpiece called CROSSEYED HEART. Since my knowledge and understanding of its merits is limited, I hope, for example, masters like Hairball to explicate the greatness of "classy lyrics" written by Keith Richards that were - thankfully - not destroyed by some Mick Jagger or lesser talents like him. I really want to learn new things. And not only gang-leader Hairball, let us all of you Keith Richards True Believers tell us what, once again, was so great in that album. That fiesta is never ended (and I am sure you by now are able to forgive for us lesser souls who can't not really join the party). The stage is all yours!

There is no Rolling Stones thread that doesn't hail Keith Richards and mock Mick Jagger! True faith!

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 03:28 by Doxa.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 201x
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 15, 2017 07:53

Unlikely next year, per Don Was. I asked him tonight at an event and he replied, "You probably won't see it in 2018." I didn't get the sense there was much progress or rush.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 15, 2017 07:58

DeanGoodman
Unlikely next year, per Don Was. I asked him tonight at an event and he replied, "You probably won't see it in 2018." I didn't get the sense there was much progress or rush.

And there you have it. Don is an honest man.

Date: December 15, 2017 08:04

Wouldn't be surprised if some songs originally intended for the never released 2018/19/20 album end up on a box set in ten years' time. Maybe better no album than an album with 'Gotta Get A Grip + KR guitars'-kind of stuff (or Crosseyed Heart outtakes with MJ vocals and Charlie).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 08:49 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 15, 2017 08:33

TeddyB1018
DeanGoodman

And there you have it. Don is an honest man.
If not in 2018. Then never.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 15, 2017 08:45

DeanGoodman

Cheers Dean, nice to have some confirmation.

It's always seemed strange to me that people were expecting a new studio album in 2017/18, as the existence of B&L is testament to the fact that any plans for a new album had stalled/ceased.

Date: December 15, 2017 10:13

DeanGoodman

sad smiley

Date: December 15, 2017 10:17

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there w8ith Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the konversasjon.
smoking smiley

I am one of possibly very few here, who will gladly receive broadly such an ingredient, which is allotted an epithet of that kind, given that it would be where Mick currently prefers to go, while I on the other hand want to be spared from as much as possible of that "C-E H" type of anemic feeeeling.

If the two of them, however, could meet in an EMOTIONAL RESCUE oriented "musical terrain", might be an ideal compromise between them

That's interesting, as songs like Heartstopper, Amnesia, Love Overdue and Robbed Blind easily could have been on Emotional Rescue.

Or did you perhaps mean ER, the song?

???

I meant the album, yes!

Musically, the songs I mentioned could have been on ER:

Heartstopper – A standard rocker like (take a pick on ER)
Amnesia – A mid-tempo rocker like Let Me Go
Love Overdue – A reggae-track like Send It To Me
Robbed Blind – A country-tinged ballad like Indian Girl

We could also add:

Suspicious – A jazzy ballad like All About You
Blues In The Morning – A bluesy rocker like (take a pick on ER)

Mostly, the only difference is that it is Keith who's singing, and not Mick. The variety of genres are there on both albums.

But then you are the one repeatedly to tell me that you find BETWEEN THE BUTTONS as Kinks related, where upon I have responded something like, in how I experience those terms, that to me the flavour and feel of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and the Kinks are widely apart.

And then, as I have read here, we are told that for Keith to be approaching a certain right feeling about a song is what is primarily relevant for that song. Well, in that case, the songs of the said album, C-E H, to me have a quite anemic feel and flavours (once again, how I use those terms) and I might add arrangements. Accordingly, I have to say, your presented deep down and fundamental "grammatical" description of song likenesses and genres does not do much for me. To me the "surface" of songs is a very important aspect of them and what vitally makes songs and sometimes even genres different .

It's not grammatical, it's musical.

I won't «force» you to reconsider your ideas about music, although there are some very obvious likenesses which I have pointed out earlier, also arrangement-wise.

Date: December 15, 2017 11:20

Doxa
[...]
- Doxa

Winter is coming. I see it's getting cold and dark in Finland again. Luckily, there is always this forum to keep you warm.

Date: December 15, 2017 11:25

Hairball

I don't think Keith is that traditional, but besides that, I think the problem is not whether "Keith gets his way" or "Mick gets his way", both ways might be interesting (although, yes, in the past 40 years, I prefer Keiths solo ways). The problem is that they don't have much in common. So either they end up compromising, or splitting the album in half. Personally, I prefer a bad album they both believe in above a mediocre album based on "a bit of him" and "a bit of him". Either they find some "common way" or it simply wouldn't be a real Stones album.
But oh well, seeing so many people would be happy with a new album, why not?

Date: December 15, 2017 11:34

Your argument in words, DP, could then be applied towards songs from quite many bands, whose material as a consequence could be compared to measure on par with the Stones. For instance, your use of "standard rocker", "mid-tempo rocker" and "country-tinged ballad".

For that matter, it would take away the vital contrasts within Stones' own achievements between one example of those descriptions from, say, STICKY FINGERS and, for instance, VOODOO LOUNGE. It is the specifities that make the magic, not the underlying genres that a song may be reduced to.

Date: December 15, 2017 11:43

Witness
Your argument in words, DP, could then be applied towards songs from quite many bands, whose material as a consequence could be compared to measure on par with the Stones. For instance, your use of "standard rocker", "mid-tempo rocker" and "country-tinged ballad".

For that matter, it would take away the vital contrasts within Stones' own achievements between one example of those descriptions from, say, STICKY FINGERS and, for instance, VOODOO LOUNGE. It is the specifities that make the magic, not the underlying genres that a song may be reduced to.

I agree, but I also think that the looseness, the vibe, the production, the songwriting, the conveying of emotions and not least the playing is just as comparable.

I think Suspicious and All About You is a good example: Melodically, as well as where the song comes from. It would have had a similar effect on me had it been the last number on ER.

You understand?

Date: December 15, 2017 12:00

DandelionPowderman
Witness

I agree, but I also think that the looseness, the vibe, the production, the songwriting, the conveying of emotions and not least the playing is just as comparable.

I think Suspicious and All About You is a good example: Melodically, as well as where the song comes from. It would have had a similar effect on me had it been the last number on ER.

You understand?

I am afraid that I can't agree. "All About You" is to me one of three best Keith sung "songs of a melodical kind" (together with "You Got the Silver" and "Coming Down Again"), and to me not one of Keith's "rock songs" can rival those with me. Even a good song, a sister song, "Sleep Tonight" can't measure with "All About You", in my evaluation.

Then to me who prefer both Keith's first two albums to CROSS-EYED HEART, no songs from the latter can touch or remind me of "All About You". There is blood and passion about that masterful and felt song expressing bitterness.

Edit: printing error corrected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 12:21 by Witness.

Date: December 15, 2017 12:04

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

You understand?

I am afraid that I can't agree. "All About You" is to me one of three best Keith sung "songs of a melodical kind" (together with "You Got the Silver" and "Coming Down Again"), and to me not one of Keith's "rock songs" can rival those with me. Even a good song, a sister song, "Sleep Tonight" can't measure with "All About You", in my evaluation.

Then to me who prefer both Keith's first two albums to CROSS-EYED HEART, no songs from the latter can touch or remind me of "All About You". There is blood and passion about that masterful and felt song expressing bitternes.

Rock song?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 15, 2017 12:07

Without possiblities at the office to listen to anything at this hour.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 15, 2017 16:38

DandelionPowderman
DeanGoodman

sad smiley

Mick’s busy, sorry.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2017 16:55

It's been a year since B&L, give or take a few days, right?

So... I guess I'll just keep listening to that and count it as the last Stones release, even though original album wise that remains A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 15, 2017 17:15

35love
DandelionPowderman
DeanGoodman

sad smiley

Mick’s busy, sorry.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

From the dailymail-article: "Mick meanwhile was also rocking a loose-fitting charcoal coloured top while also wearing his trademark shaggy locks loose around her shoulders".

eye rolling smiley

Re: Another Stones studio album in 3xxx
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 15, 2017 18:14

DeanGoodman

Perhaps we should grant them the time it might take and rename the thread "Another Stones studio album in 3xxx" winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home