Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...93949596979899100101102103...LastNext
Current Page: 98 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 2, 2017 01:23

Hairball
KRiffhard
retired_dog
MelBelli
Can confirm it’s for thr Stones — and for the reasons we’ve speculated. Keith wants to develop his stuff as far along as he can before he’s in the same room with Mick.

Hope that the new album can still be called a band effort and not just a loose collection of solo recordings released under the Stones moniker.

thumbs up

That would be a best case scenario, although there was a quote from Mick (forget the context, date, etc.) where he said - paraphrase - Keith can be stubborn in the studio. He'll criticize and/or veto songs and ideas from Mick just for the sake of being difficult. Maybe that's what happened with Getta Grip/England Lost - always found it weird that Keith didn't want to contribute to those. He stated he wants things more Stonesy, and even hinted at a Blue and Lonesome pt. II, but those Mick singles are not some out of this world experimental neo-electronica/contemporary dance junk. If Keith would have added a few slashy riffs and some background vocals, and maybe edit down some of the production, they might have been worthy of Stones songs. Not saying they would have been classics, but without Keith on them they're much lesser than they could have been imo.

He probably read the lyrics and thought "Oh HELL no." Gotta Get A Grip reads as if it was written by some kid in the 1950s almost.

Date: December 2, 2017 01:29

kish_stoned
The new stones album is in the can already,will be coming out april or may ,just before the tour for UK will start. START ME UP, OUT OF CONTROL,fans be ready will be rocking to STONES new album.YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I've seen such rubbish posted here by someone else, who finally stopped with their BS about what the Stones were going to do - which they never did. It's been so long I can't quote it but it was MickScarey, I believe.

So... maybe you've filled that unnecessary void. Based on all that's been said, they are a long way away from having any kind of an album half way done.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2017 01:38

GasLightStreet

He probably read the lyrics and thought "Oh HELL no." Gotta Get A Grip reads as if it was written by some kid in the 1950s almost.

Bullshit, Skippy. Damn good and clever lyrics.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 01:39 by Doxa.

Date: December 2, 2017 01:52

Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

Not to my ears.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 2, 2017 02:37

Hairball
KRiffhard
retired_dog
MelBelli
Can confirm it’s for thr Stones — and for the reasons we’ve speculated. Keith wants to develop his stuff as far along as he can before he’s in the same room with Mick.

Hope that the new album can still be called a band effort and not just a loose collection of solo recordings released under the Stones moniker.

thumbs up

That would be a best case scenario, although there was a quote from Mick (forget the context, date, etc.) where he said - paraphrase - Keith can be stubborn in the studio. He'll criticize and/or veto songs and ideas from Mick just for the sake of being difficult. Maybe that's what happened with Getta Grip/England Lost - always found it weird that Keith didn't want to contribute to those. He stated he wants things more Stonesy, and even hinted at a Blue and Lonesome pt. II, but those Mick singles are not some out of this world experimental neo-electronica/contemporary dance junk. If Keith would have added a few slashy riffs and some background vocals, and maybe edit down some of the production, they might have been worthy of Stones songs. Not saying they would have been classics, but without Keith on them they're much lesser than they could have been imo.

Lets cut Keith a break. If it were not for Keith ..there would be no Blue & Lonesome.. The song and idea of blues was all his idea to start with. It was a way to get Mick back to playing harmonica and loosen up when they were at a recording standstill.. He chose the title track and the rest is history. Keith is the one who pushes more to get the Stones into the studio ...not Mick. He always has.

Keith is the one who called Mick first in the resurrection with Steel Wheels. Mick knew he fell short solo wise and felt silly...so it was up to Keith to man up and give the first call ...the rest is history.

Gotta Get a Grip may have been an ok Stones track with Keith input but England lost basically sucked. Keith knows what hes doing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 02:40 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2017 04:51

GasLightStreet
Hairball
KRiffhard
retired_dog
MelBelli

thumbs up

That is damn funny Gaslight ...I can picture Keith "oh HELL no"!!! grinning smiley

IanBillen

Lets cut Keith a break. If it were not for Keith ..there would be no Blue & Lonesome.. The song and idea of blues was all his idea to start with. It was a way to get Mick back to playing harmonica and loosen up when they were at a recording standstill.. He chose the title track and the rest is history. Keith is the one who pushes more to get the Stones into the studio ...not Mick. He always has.

Keith is the one who called Mick first in the resurrection with Steel Wheels. Mick knew he fell short solo wise and felt silly...so it was up to Keith to man up and give the first call ...the rest is history.

Gotta Get a Grip may have been an ok Stones track with Keith input but England lost basically sucked. Keith knows what hes doing.

Nice post Ian - can't say I disagree with any of it. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 04:57 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 2, 2017 05:11

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
KRiffhard
retired_dog
MelBelli

thumbs up

That is damn funny Gaslight ...I can picture Keith "oh HELL no"!!! grinning smiley

IanBillen

Right-o. Keith said he wanted to see what the fall-out was like from Blue & Lonesome before really focusing and moving toward the new album (at the time I was soooo disheartened he / they were going to wait a good while to get back on the recording train ..but I guess he knows how to play it (he always does).

Anyway yeah Keith had everything to do with jump starting Blue & Lonesome. He faxed Ron Wood before they got to London and told him to have it on the back burner in order to break in the room at British Grove in London should they need it. What a friggin call. That song says it all .. and is the title track. That song changed everything in 2015 and gave us something very special. something really really cool.

They did need it and Keith said.. lets give it a go.. the rest is history.

Everyone downs Keith but the dude is the heart and sole of the band. Charlie is the backbone .. and Mick is the leading gleem.

Keith knows exactly what hes doing.. I mean .. I hope. He's always saved us before hasn't he?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 2, 2017 08:30

georgelicks
Mick and Keith both work separately on this new album, when they agree on certain songs the whole band is involved.
Mick works with Charlie and Matt Clifford, Keith with Steve Jordan and Don Was.

Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost were songs that Keith rejected and Mick wanted to release on its own.

I've been told that Mick has already written enough songs to fill 3 or 4 new albums.

I do not share this way of working. Solo songs with Stones brand.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 2, 2017 08:40

If I were Keith I had refused to play on this horrible 80's-retro "Jagger" single. I don't know why MJ releases stuff like that. Nobody buys it anyway.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 2, 2017 09:19

IanBillen

Hmmm... Mick did Commit A Crime with Jeff Beck at the White House show some years ago. He did Everbody Knows About My Good Thing with Gary Moore back in the 90's. The Red Devils, the band that backed for his blues session pre-Wandering Spirit, had a version of Just Your Fool in their early 90's live set that sounds almost exactly like the Stones take on Blue & Lonesome more than two decades later (it can be found on YouTube for those interested btw.). This is no coincidence imo. Mick's input on Blue & Lonesome was obviously a bit larger than he is credited for. It's not that Keith called the shots and Mick reluctantly obeyed by doing the vocals and playing the harmonica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 09:21 by retired_dog.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 2, 2017 10:07

georgelicks
Mick and Keith both work separately on this new album, when they agree on certain songs the whole band is involved.

Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost were songs that Keith rejected and Mick wanted to release on its own.

I've been told that Mick has already written enough songs to fill 3 or 4 new albums.

"Being prolific don't mean s**t" KR smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 2, 2017 10:41

GasLightStreet
Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

Not to my ears.

Re-listen it... winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 2, 2017 12:37

Really think the band is gonna work on it, next coming weeks, just before the Christmas holidays.
I have a feeling its gonna be great, they really want to be this a great New album. Looking forward to new interviews etc..
and then...more shows in the UK!!

Gonna be a great 2018 (fingers crossed).
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2017 13:35

corriecas
Really think the band is gonna work on it, next coming weeks, just before the Christmas holidays.
I have a feeling its gonna be great, they really want to be this a great New album. Looking forward to new interviews etc..
and then...more shows in the UK!!

Gonna be a great 2018 (fingers crossed).
Jeroen

30 days until we be back home ....... 2018 that is >grinning smiley<

Date: December 2, 2017 13:38

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

Not to my ears.

- Doxa

One of the remixes was okay, but as envisioned by Mick Keith wasn't buying it.

Date: December 2, 2017 13:47

MelBelli
This is *not* coming from inside but, rather, my own hunch: I can easily envision Mick challenging Keith along the lines of “If you don’t like what I’ve written, come up with something you *do* like!”

to me it goes back to Mick having all these songs that can't see the light of day.....from all accounts though at least half the album is probably in the can and the balance is still being finalized between the two camps.

Date: December 2, 2017 13:54

Doxa
georgelicks

Thanks for the info, georgelicks!

It looks more and more that the pattern of BRIDGES TO BABYLON is applied here. Mick and Keith more or less doing the things by their own. Will there be ever a 'let's play the songs from the scratch by whole band' or not, we will see in future (I am a bit skeptical about that, like Dandie hinted in the post above).

Interesting to see that Charlie belongs more to 'Mick's camp' than that of Keith's. Where is Ronnie? Babysitting?grinning smiley

- Doxa

I would say it's tougher to work with Keith because of his songwriting approach, which is find that perfect feel. But when Keith finds what he's looking for we all are in for a treat. I don't care how old these guys are 2018 will be a fun year.

Date: December 2, 2017 14:20

Maindefender

I would say it's tougher to work with Keith because of his songwriting approach, which is find that perfect feel. But when Keith finds what he's looking for we all are in for a treat. I don't care how old these guys are 2018 will be a fun year.

Yup. It is the 'feel' we all - I hope Jagger as well - expect from him. Makes me wonder that if he really is now making the songs by his own, how willing he would be starting from the scratch (re-recording the songs) with the whole band. I mean, if he finds the 'feel' he seeks for already at the stage of crafting the songs with Jordan, and declares 'yeah, got it, this is it!', would he be willing to not use those recordings in the final recording? Can the 'magic' to be re-created?

Which makes me think about "One More Shot". It would be interesting to hear the Richards/Jordan 'original' - how different it would be from the (final) Stones version? It would also be interesting to know how much the Stones used the Richards/Jordan original in their version (like re-cutting the parts one by one but treating the 'original' as a guide/backing track) - or did they re-recorded the whole thing (with that 'from the scratch'-method)? All I know is that they did it very fast - just in one day. Unfortunately - let's add here the famous "IMO" - no matter how they made it, the result sounds a bit artificial - not very 'organic' sounding piece, like typically Keith's tracks are. I miss the 'feel'...

- Doxa

Date: December 2, 2017 18:27

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

Not to my ears.

- Doxa

I can't get by the infantile lyrics:

Gotta get a grip
Beat it with a stick

Let 'em eat chicken and let 'em eat steak
Let 'em eat shit, let 'em eat cake

You gotta get a grip
You gotta keep it zipped
And shoot 'em from the hip
Yeah, yeah, you gotta get a grip
Beat it with a stick

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 2, 2017 18:32

Doxa
Maindefender

Yup. It is the 'feel' we all - I hope Jagger as well - expect from him. Makes me wonder that if he really is now making the songs by his own, how willing he would be starting from the scratch (re-recording the songs) with the whole band. I mean, if he finds the 'feel' he seeks for already at the stage of crafting the songs with Jordan, and declares 'yeah, got it, this is it!', would he be willing to not use those recordings in the final recording? Can the 'magic' to be re-created?

Which makes me think about "One More Shot". It would be interesting to hear the Richards/Jordan 'original' - how different it would be from the (final) Stones version? It would also be interesting to know how much the Stones used the Richards/Jordan original in their version (like re-cutting the parts one by one but treating the 'original' as a guide/backing track) - or did they re-recorded the whole thing (with that 'from the scratch'-method)? All I know is that they did it very fast - just in one day. Unfortunately - let's add here the famous "IMO" - no matter how they made it, the result sounds a bit artificial - not very 'organic' sounding piece, like typically Keith's tracks are. I miss the 'feel'...

- Doxa

"One More Shot" is a good example for what's probably going on right now. Keith takes his time to develop a song until he feels that it's right - just like in the old days. The only difference is that unlike the past, the rest of the Stones are obviously not willing to start with a tiny riff or song sketch and wing it for days or even weeks until a song that "feels right" is finally developed. So it seems that Keith is doing just that with other partners - Steve Jordan and others. Like with "One More Shot". The only problem is that once you have developed a song with others until it "feels right" to capture the feeling with the band in the re-recording process. Didn't people (Jordan?) claim that the original version of OMS sounded "so much better" than the Stones version?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 2, 2017 18:37

Doxa
Maindefender

- Doxa

smileys with beerhot smiley
Jeroen

Date: December 2, 2017 18:43

Doxa
Maindefender

- Doxa

One More Shot - it sounds like a combination of Take It So Hard, Street Fighting Man and Lowdown with You Shook Me All Night Long. Which has been said quite a few times here.

What it misses is the feel of Take It So Hard, the drive of Street Fighting Man and the cadence of Lowdown.

Yet it sounds like something Keith would come up with but only in the sense of 'Eh, I'm Keith' or 'I wrote it in my sleep' or 'It's easy - I'm the riff master' so it comes off as imitating the Stones and quite by the numbers. Maybe it could've been given some more playing time to get the feel for it to be better - but no, for whatever reason, they were in a hurry. So no drive, no cadence, no feel, no flow - just plodding.

Fine. It's still ridiculous that they put those 2 tracks on another ridiculous greatest hits comp - one that I will never own, partially because there's no reason to musically and the majority otherwise is it is the worst named (hits) album ever.

No one expects All Down The Line or Rocks Off kind of tunes anymore. It's as if they embraced what Mick said in 1972 again for the gazillionth time only for 2012 - F it, we've done it. Gimme the money.

So it would be interesting to hear the Steve Jordan version.

Date: December 2, 2017 18:45

Monsoon Ragoon
If I were Keith I had refused to play on this horrible 80's-retro "Jagger" single. I don't know why MJ releases stuff like that. Nobody buys it anyway.

I liked Ruthless People. God Gave Me Everything is similar, in ways, and is pretty good. But overall, yes.

With exception for WANDERING SPIRIT, his solo career is really a small bump.

Date: December 2, 2017 18:55

IanBillen
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
KRiffhard
retired_dog
MelBelli

thumbs up

IanBillen

Right-o. Keith said he wanted to see what the fall-out was like from Blue & Lonesome before really focusing and moving toward the new album (at the time I was soooo disheartened he / they were going to wait a good while to get back on the recording train ..but I guess he knows how to play it (he always does).

Anyway yeah Keith had everything to do with jump starting Blue & Lonesome. He faxed Ron Wood before they got to London and told him to have it on the back burner in order to break in the room at British Grove in London should they need it. What a friggin call. That song says it all .. and is the title track. That song changed everything in 2015 and gave us something very special. something really really cool.

They did need it and Keith said.. lets give it a go.. the rest is history.

Everyone downs Keith but the dude is the heart and sole of the band. Charlie is the backbone .. and Mick is the leading gleem.

Keith knows exactly what hes doing.. I mean .. I hope. He's always saved us before hasn't he?

Perhaps... but certainly not with their 1986 excuse of an album.

Date: December 2, 2017 19:02

KRiffhard
georgelicks

I do not share this way of working. Solo songs with Stones brand.

But it has worked before. You have to include the ones that worked. Sympathy For The Devil, Brown Sugar, Sway and Miss You are great examples.

Date: December 2, 2017 19:04

GasLightStreet
kish_stoned
The new stones album is in the can already,will be coming out april or may ,just before the tour for UK will start. START ME UP, OUT OF CONTROL,fans be ready will be rocking to STONES new album.YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I've seen such rubbish posted here by someone else, who finally stopped with their BS about what the Stones were going to do - which they never did. It's been so long I can't quote it but it was MickScarey, I believe.

So... maybe you've filled that unnecessary void. Based on all that's been said, they are a long way away from having any kind of an album half way done.

I read something this morning that made me remember exactly what it was that he would say all the time - done deal.

Which, once again, it isn't.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: December 2, 2017 19:21

[twitter.com]

At least Mick is back in the studio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2017 19:28

Mabru
[twitter.com]

This is a good sign.thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2017 19:30

Mabru
[twitter.com]

Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 2, 2017 19:54

Always alone like solo stars in these studio photos.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...93949596979899100101102103...LastNext
Current Page: 98 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home