Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2017 20:31

Rockman
The Paris shows were dynamite ... esp 2 & 3 ......

Even from my armchair. smiling smiley

That said, and from an armchair perspective, there seems to have been some "decline" for a lack of a better word of this tour compared to some of the past "recent" tours - after all, they're on average 75 years old so understandable. Not so much a downhill from No Filter show one to fourteen, in fact I thought it was the opposite - that they actually got better as the tour rolled on (armchair favorite = Paris #2), but more of a general coasting and deterioration of overall sound and skill (see Keith's Sympathy solos). And of course the setlists became a bit stale (sad they didn't play Play With Fire more often!). But that's just from the armchair, and don't want to argue with someone who was there.

What is the most disturbing (or maybe bewildering is a better word), and it's nothing new, but the setlists themselves - specifically the fact that a majority of the original tunes played were part of their catalogue before Ronnie even joined the band. The newest consistently played tune at every show was Slipping Away from 1989 which is nearly 30 years old. Thankfully they played a couple of those recent Blues covers as they truly shine live, but can covers truly be considered new material? Maybe I suppose, but defintiely not original. But then again, as had been mentioned above, maybe it's a good thing they don't clog up their setlist with some of the more recent waste - can't imagine them not playing and sacrificing some of the sacred warhorses in favour of (name a bunch of tunes from the last 30+ years). Does anybody want to hear Streets of Love or Infamy vs. Tumbling Dice and Happy? Or Anybody Seen My Baby over Midnight Rambler?

But back on topic - any news or new rumours on the new album? I see Mick and Keith were in NY at the same time (see MisterDDDD's post)..anybody know what Mick was doing there?
Could it be they actually met and discussed the new album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-27 20:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 27, 2017 20:59

I am the only one that really likes ASMB?

Great song and Keith on the Gargoyle posing with his guitar was awesome.

Date: November 27, 2017 21:04

It's not the worst Stones song and I just used it as an example off the top of my head, but would you rather hear it over Midnight Rambler?
I suppose some would, but there might be an uprising amongst diehards if it ever became a warhorse.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 27, 2017 21:48

beachbreak

ASMB got off on the wrong foot after additional credits were given to KD Lang and Ben Mink. Like the production.......

36 days until the actual year the new album will arrive......>grinning smiley<

Date: November 27, 2017 21:50

Maindefender
beachbreak

ASMB got off on the wrong foot after additional credits were given to KD Lang and Ben Mink. Like the production.......

36 days until the actual year the new album will arrive......>grinning smiley<

The countdown to the countdown is on! smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 27, 2017 22:07

I like ASMB..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 27, 2017 22:20

beachbreak

Terrible and Boring song.
Jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2017 22:47

beachbreak

yeah i remember that as being cool...which one was the gargoyle again?

Date: November 28, 2017 00:30

Love ASMB. The rap is better with Duke Richardson, though winking smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 28, 2017 07:46

Great song. Doesn't sound the same with dozens others like Oh No Not You Again and many other past "new" songs. Nevertheless I was pleased they did it only once in Amsterdam 98. Should work in Spain or Argentina even today. Problem ist that Keith doesn't like it as I could imagine (like the also contemporary UOTN).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 08:00 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: November 28, 2017 08:29

Do we know that Keith doesn't like it? He did some beautiful stuff on the studio version. They played it on the South American-tour.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 28, 2017 08:34

I don't know. But it's far from an usual "Keith song". Who is responsible that things like UOTN or Hot Stuff are always thrown out of the set after a few try-outs?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 28, 2017 08:39

Love ASMB too. But it's one of these songs that never really take off live, like "Mixed Emotions". The only really good live version of ASMB was a TV appearance (MTV Fashion Awards? Have to look it up.). This one really flowed nicely. Other live versions not so much. They were delivered, uhm, clumsily. You could tell the band did not feel comfortable playing it as if they were not really into it, no matter how hard Mick tried to make it work.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2017 09:06

NO ya not ... lurv ASMbabeeeeeeee.... love the sound of it... production..... pounds from the speakers ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2017 10:06

retired_dog
Love ASMB too. But it's one of these songs that never really take off live, like "Mixed Emotions". The only really good live version of ASMB was a TV appearance (MTV Fashion Awards? Have to look it up.). This one really flowed nicely. Other live versions not so much. They were delivered, uhm, clumsily. You could tell the band did not feel comfortable playing it as if they were not really into it, no matter how hard Mick tried to make it work.

There were some really good live versions, too. I've always liked the St. Louis-version. Mick is better here, and he had the interaction down with the backing singers. The guitars are really beautiful:

[www.youtube.com]

The Fashion Awards-version is excellent as well - really great!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 28, 2017 11:16

Rockman

NO ya not ... lurv ASMbabeeeeeeee.... love the sound of it... production..... pounds from the speakers ...

...Same here!
It just never really 'took off', live - and I guess it never really will.
It's first & foremost a studio track, to my taste - albeit a great one;
but not really a song suitable for Stones' live performance.

Date: November 28, 2017 11:19

Here's the version from 2016:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 28, 2017 12:05

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

I like studio version but live versions are horrible.

Date: November 28, 2017 12:09

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

I like studio version but live versions are horrible.

Listen to the two other versions I posted. They are very good smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2017 18:17

ASMB doesn't work live, vocally. It's too down. And then it clashes when Mick goes up high. He talk sings and then he yells. At the end of the rap, it does not rock "like this", it doesn't rock at all. Maybe if it did something at that point it would be better.

The LP version is nice, the video is fantastic, it's one of those tracks that works on record only; it's their 1990s Miss You in a way - not nearly as good but rather just OK.

So hopefully they stay away from that kind of thing on the new LP.

Date: November 28, 2017 18:19

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

YIKES. Mick doesn't seem to know what key it's in!

Date: November 28, 2017 18:35

I thought it was OK upon release - I remember first hearing it on the radio and asked a gal friend at work "This sounds like Mick, must be the new Stones?" She laughed shaking her head in disapproval and said yes...and then the rap part came in. My only real problem now is whenever I try and listen to it I hear the similarities between it and the K.D. Lang tune during the chorus - it's unavoidable. Not that I like the KD Lang tune, but it was massive hit for her (Grammy, etc.).

I did see it live once at Dodger Stadium '97 (after just looking at the setlist), but have to say I have no particular memory of it at all.

Date: November 28, 2017 19:08

I remember some of the hype about BRIDGES with the drum looping and sampling (of Charlie playing along to Dre, etc) and listening to it thinking "I can't really tell - what's the point?" To this day it seems pointless that they did that.

Don Was exclaimed "I hope people don't say, Oh, Dust Brothers - trying to be trendy, because that's not true; that's just a textural approach to performing the songs." [timeisonourside.com]

Sure reeked of being trendy. At least when they got trendy with some of the tracks on SOME GIRLS it had attitude - and it worked. It was an observation of what had been happening in New York City as well as two music scenes happening at the same time.

Obviously it was all influenced by New York feeling... More obviously I'd say in Shattered, when I was writing that I was thinking, God, I'm really nowhere near there but I'm just reliving it all. I'd been living there for the two years previously on and off, and it was a big interesting time for the city: The place falling to bits, going broke and Son of Sam and all that. It loomed large as an object in your imagination.... (There was s)o much going on, a lot going on musically then. You've got punk and dance and the beginnings of hip-hop. And there's also some really quite interesting documentaries of the city of that time, some really fascinating ones. And the art scene as well. It was very vibrant and very quick-changing so there's really a lot on amidst the kind of squalor of the whole thing, the fiscal uncertainty of it all.

New York was fantastic. Well, it was fun for some people. I'm not sure it was fun for everyone. For regular families it was a very difficult time. The city was in a terrible financial mess, the services didn't work, the garbage didn't get picked up... But out of this Third World city came this great ferment of music and art... A lot of interesting music and art made it through the squalor. There was a big art scene then, as partly described in Do You Think I Really Care, a country song about New York. Yeah, it was a vibrant art scene, lots of comings and goings, new things, new people. And great music scene, too, with dancing, clubs - you know, a mix-up, a mash-up of everything. I saw this documentary a year or two ago, and it reminded me of that time. You had Sugarhill Gang and Blondie playing on the same bill. It was before the time when people were afraid of mixing up genres. It was so new, no one knew what genre they were in, really. And New York being geographically small, it was quite easy to get around, so there was lots of people connecting. The Clash did great dance remixes, you know?... In a lot of ways, Some Girls reflects those comings and goings.

- Mick Jagger, 2011

[timeisonourside.com]

So with Mick talking about this new album being half what one would not expect (or whatever it is he said), it seems reasonable to have the aspect of 'Oh no, not trend hopping again'. Because unless they record songs that sound like they're from Asia or the Middle East or Ireland or 1930s jazz etc we may get some trendy noise.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:28

Hairball
Does anybody want to hear Streets of Love or Infamy vs. Tumbling Dice and Happy? Or Anybody Seen My Baby over Midnight Rambler?

Well, after having seen/heard Rambler the umpteenth time I wouldn't mind ASMB for a change ... it's not a bad song.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:45

Concerning someone wanting to hear the 10 Minute Version of 'Flip The Switch':

>> Lol Ikr .. the song is technically the fastest track they've ever done .. Didn't know they had a 10 friggin minute version of it at one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 07:46 by IanBillen.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 30, 2017 10:52

Sure it's faster than Rip This Joint?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 30, 2017 11:21

doitywoik
Hairball
Does anybody want to hear Streets of Love or Infamy vs. Tumbling Dice and Happy? Or Anybody Seen My Baby over Midnight Rambler?

Well, after having seen/heard Rambler the umpteenth time I wouldn't mind ASMB for a change ... it's not a bad song.

It could be done great, if they'd dare to take some risks. Turn it around, start it a-capella, give it some gospel feel, do weird stuff with it, add a sitar, whatever... But they tend to try to play those songs as close to studio as possible, and then it would just end up boring. On the other hand, I like what they did with Play With Fire this year, so there's hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 11:21 by matxil.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 30, 2017 11:34

IanBillen

>> Lol Ikr .. the song is technically the fastest track they've ever done .. Didn't know they had a 10 friggin minute version of it at one time.

It truly rocked. Sounded like the Stones we love, jamming together, with the push and the pull between Keith’s rhythm and Charlie, falling into their special, specific vernacular. They did suck some of the juice out of it for the finished product, like they seem to have for ages, at least until Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 30, 2017 12:11

TeddyB1018
IanBillen

It truly rocked. Sounded like the Stones we love, jamming together, with the push and the pull between Keith’s rhythm and Charlie, falling into their special, specific vernacular. They did suck some of the juice out of it for the finished product, like they seem to have for ages, at least until Blue and Lonesome.

Who was playing bass on the original take?

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 30, 2017 12:12

doitywoik
Sure it's faster than Rip This Joint?

I am quite sure it isn't faster than turd on the run!

C

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home