Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 3, 2017 20:09

They may now be across the country from each other, but they were both in NYC last week according to the NY Post (Mick) and Keith's Beacon Theatre post..

Likely there was some in person collaboration as it was just before Keith's studio post..perhaps already at finishing stages now ?(not likely, I know) but perhaps..

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 3, 2017 20:14

Hairball
So Keith is in New York, and Mick is in L.A.?

Hmmm...maybe not as worrisome as it might seem in today's world with skype, etc.
With the proper setup, Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie could all separately be in the furthest corners of the world - the only nuisance would be the trying to coordinate based on the differing time zones.

I have a feeling they're still working out some kinks separately - Mick might be readjusting some of his demos to appease Keith, while Keith might be conjuring up another "dynamite" riff or two to add to his three that he blabbed about last year.

Whatever the case, nice to see they're each in a studio - even if they're separated by approximately 2500 miles. thumbs up

They will all get together this month to record / work on the songs more 'together' .. At least that's what told.

This is simply prep work to get a few songs somewhat rolling to be open to some direction more down the road. This is for a few songs they have written individually.

Date: December 3, 2017 20:20

Thanks, Ian!
Same insider(?) info reported here at least twice now.
Great news!

Date: December 3, 2017 20:37

MisterDDDD
Thanks, Ian!
Same insider(?) info reported here at least twice now.
Great news!

No .. I didn't get an insider ifo ... I WISH I had it.

I should restate.. I missed the 'we' in 'at least that's what told' .. I was meaning coming from those same people on the board .. >> Heinz

...and Georgelicks for Universals take on it all.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 3, 2017 20:39

IanBillen
Hairball

Hmmm...maybe not as worrisome as it might seem in today's world with skype, etc.
With the proper setup, Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie could all separately be in the furthest corners of the world - the only nuisance would be the trying to coordinate based on the differing time zones.

I have a feeling they're still working out some kinks separately - Mick might be readjusting some of his demos to appease Keith, while Keith might be conjuring up another "dynamite" riff or two to add to his three that he blabbed about last year.

Whatever the case, nice to see they're each in a studio - even if they're separated by approximately 2500 miles. thumbs up

They will all get together this month to record / work on the songs more 'together' .. At least that's what told.

This is simply prep work to get a few songs somewhat rolling to be open to some direction more down the road. This is for a few songs they have written individually.

Yes Ian - it was *Heinz who gave us the info on studio sessions in December, and I believe what you just wrote is pretty close to what I wrote in my post above (I put both sentences in bold).

*But...were we told they would all get back in the studio as band? I recall reading "the Stones will go back to the studio in December"...
but it didn't necessarily clarify if that meant as individuals at separate studios (as they are now), or all in the same studio as a band at the same time.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: December 3, 2017 21:53

MisterDDDD
Both Mick and Keith seen about town in NYC over the last couple days..

Realize that likely happens all the time and isn't necessarily business related.. but like to think ..maybe.

Keith at the Beacon
This picture from is from the Vanity Fair Oscar Party - so February 2017.

Date: December 3, 2017 22:01

Oh.
Well it ran with a story last week.. maybe they grabbed a file photo, but he was still likely there..

Mick Jagger at Bemelmans Bar the night before Thanksgiving ...
[pagesix.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 22:05 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 3, 2017 22:37

thecitadel
Mick is definitely in a recording studio in Los Angeles. The band recorded there before. The photo is from Studio B at this particular venue.

Good eye, Citadel!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2017 00:03

TeddyB1018
thecitadel
Mick is definitely in a recording studio in Los Angeles. The band recorded there before. The photo is from Studio B at this particular venue.

Good eye, Citadel!

Oh, he’s in California? smoking smiley

Date: December 4, 2017 00:30

35love
TeddyB1018
thecitadel

Good eye, Citadel!

Oh, he’s in California? smoking smiley

I'll be down L.A. tomorrow, and if I bump in to him I'll tell him you say hi. winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 4, 2017 00:44

TeddyB1018
thecitadel

Good eye, Citadel!

Indeed :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 00:45 by gotdablouse.

Date: December 4, 2017 02:44

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Yes Ian - it was *Heinz who gave us the info on studio sessions in December, and I believe what you just wrote is pretty close to what I wrote in my post above (I put both sentences in bold).

*But...were we told they would all get back in the studio as band? I recall reading "the Stones will go back to the studio in December"...
but it didn't necessarily clarify if that meant as individuals at separate studios (as they are now), or all in the same studio as a band at the same time.

Actually I usually tip off Heinz57 and then he comes and tells all you guys (see below).

>>kidding.. 100% kidding.. naturally.

In seriousness I definitely remember Heinz telling us first they were to hit the studio in December. In fact.. I think it was he (or she) who was the only one not only in the know about recording coming up .. but as well the exact month.

Here it is in December. I think the Mick and Keith you are seeing now in the studio is simply prep work. I am sure they will get together in the same studio ...

Unless these are simply overdubbs .. If that were the case.. they are finishing off material .. or all of it. I think they still need a few good sessions in the studio before all that. My guess is they will head to the studio very shortly ..as a band.

Again .. I'm just going by Heinz57. However .. I cant see the Stones or any major act recording their stuff in separate studios.

We have an act that always does a quarter of their material at one studio, and the other three quarters at ours. Their name is 'Radio Lark'. The singer / leader still has to be present at the bulk of all sessions in both places and sometimes the other person guitar player .. known as (Rick) who has his own studio comes to ours to over-dub. But this is across town and at both places. The communication is constant ... They even call each other at times while the singer is with us and the guitar player is eles where whos already did his bits.

Albums 'can' ...and have been made by groups at separate places entirely .. however for mid level and large acts that is almost never ...and I mean never the case. It's not good for a band ... and The Stones ..being the kind of band they are.. would never choose that route.

Over dubs and certain songs can be done in separate locations ...pre-production and writing is often done at separate locations with band members at different places at different times ....but ...the core band or at least the <majority> of it's members is almost always (99% of the cases) required to be present for recording the base of the material. Then things often branch out.

With The Stones .. this separate studios thing now is either prep work for each of Mick or Keith's songs they are bringing in to try and work with as the whole band or ...they are overdubs in finishing off some material they need to complete before moving forward together as a band.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 02:53 by IanBillen.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 4, 2017 02:55

So, if the new album doesn't come together, we would at least get a glossy book of pictures of Keith in the (/a?) studio ... winking smiley

edit: with an appendix of Grip sessions Mick pics grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 02:56 by doitywoik.

Date: December 4, 2017 05:00

doitywoik
So, if the new album doesn't come together, we would at least get a glossy book of pictures of Keith in the (/a?) studio ... winking smiley

Yes - there was a great one of Keith alone at the piano in a studio (with his back to us), and this recent one playing the guitar. thumbs up
As for Mick-Getta-Grip photos I don't recall any which leads me to believe it might have been recorded on a laptop with pro tools (and other modern trickery) - it certainly sounds that way.
But I'm no expert...maybe Ian Billen can fill us in on what he thinks about Getta Grip and how it might have been recorded? smiling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2017 05:16

Hairball
doitywoik

Yes - there was a great one of Keith alone at the piano in a studio (with his back to us), and this recent one playing the guitar. thumbs up
As for Mick-Getta-Grip photos I don't recall any which leads me to believe it might have been recorded on a laptop with pro tools (and other modern trickery) - it certainly sounds that way.
But I'm no expert...maybe Ian Billen can fill us in on what he thinks about Getta Grip and how it might have been recorded? smiling smiley

Oh please let’s not rehash GGAG with it’s erroneous credits online and no credits listed at all on the hard copies.
P.S. there’s better coffee in Northern CA and tea! English tea.
I don’t think the Glimmers would be posting if they weren’t really working...
Cheers.

Date: December 4, 2017 05:35

35love
Hairball
doitywoik

Oh please let’s not rehash GGAG with it’s erroneous credits online and no credits listed at all on the hard copies.
P.S. there’s better coffee in Northern CA and tea! English tea.
I don’t think the Glimmers would be posting if they weren’t really working...
Cheers.

I don't recall any specifics on how Getta Grip was recorded - the where and specifically the how, but maybe I missed that part.
We have Peet's coffee (Berkeley based) everywhere down here, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (locally based), of course Starbucks (Seattle based) as well as many small time specialized coffee roasters.
We also have Costco where I usually by our coffee in bulk - I'm not a coffee snob! As for tea - my wife mostly only drinks English PG Tips that she grew up with, and is readily available at World Market,
some local specialty English shops, and can be ordered on Amazon. What we also have in Southern California is a warmer climate and less rain! More warm Santa Ana winds aka Santana winds aka Devil winds due in tomorrow.
And yes Mick and Keith are working, but in light of the fact they're in separate studios divided by 2500 miles (NY to L.A.) and posting separately, one has to wonder if they're working together. Maybe through telepathy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 05:47 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2017 06:06

Date: December 4, 2017 07:29

Ah...bingo - would be cool to see a pic of Mick's home studio.

Now wondering...when it was presented to the Stones, and Keith didn't want any part of it (as has been suggested), I'm guessing it was just a quick Mick demo version.
If so, would be interesting to hear it all stripped down to it's essence.

And, as it says 'Recorded from April 2017 onwards" (and was released in July), wondering if it was started from scratch, or did Mick use any of his already prepared demo as the basis?
And if so, wonder if Charlie and Ronnie laid down their parts during the initial Stones session, or was that done some time later at Micks home studio in London?

But that's all veering a bit off topic, and maybe better left unknown for now...or discussed in the Getta Grip thread. thumbs up

Date: December 4, 2017 08:40

Can anyone help.

I thought The Stones had gathered at least three good times already in preparation for in recording this album already?

This is excluding anything to do with and the Blue & Lonesome session in December 2015.

In The complete Works .. is only shows them working on the album in May and June of this year besides the start of the material in December of 2015?

I know before that Keith said he spent a whole week in a room with Mick slowly putting together the album... when was that? and please shed some light on how many times they have met in regards to this album?

I figured it to be a total of a good four times (including the 2015 sessions) before the recent revisit to the studio by Keith and Mick? Can anyone help?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 4, 2017 09:28

5 December, 2015 - sessions commence at John Henry's Studio before moving to British Grove. Sessions end 18 December. 13 December is a day off. BLUE AND LONESOME is recorded 11 December, 14 December, and 15 December. All other dates are spent working on new material.

7 April 2016 - two weeks of mixing and overdubbing for BLUE AND LONESOME commences at British Grove.

13 June 2016 - sessions resume at British Grove on the new material begun in December. Sessions end 26 June.

16 February 2017 - Mick and Keith start a weeklong session at Germano Studios in New York to develop material for the new album together.

9 March 2017 - Keyon Harrold overdubs trumpet for a track for the new Stones album. Only Keith and producer Don Was are in attendance.

24 April 2017 - Ronnie and Charlie back Mick for "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" in sessions at Mick's home studio in Richmond during this week. The three attend the Jazz FM Awards on 25 April to accept awards on behalf of the band. Keith and Don Was are not present.

30 May 2017 - the band resumes recording sessions for the new album at British Grove. Sessions break on 9 June.

28 June 2017 - Keith records overdubs for the new album at Germano Studios in New York.

29 November 2017 - Keith works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Germano Studios in New York.

1 December 2017 - Mick works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Henson Studios in Los Angeles.

[dates verified with [timeisonourside.com] and [nzentgraf.de] ]

* All are welcome to disregard, disparage as "fake news," request specific citations, or re-state as one's own unique understanding of the facts as so inclined. Some of us are just trying to do this jigsaw puzzle before it rains any more. Cheers to Bard, Terry, and Jody. You're lovely gentlemen. My sincere condolences to Skippy. Your wit and cynicism can still brighten my day with regularity. StonesTod and others are still much missed. The board, at its best, could educate and amuse like nobody's business. Quite a collection of characters. Someone should make an exhibition of the lot of you. Cheers and Happy Christmas to one and all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 09:53 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2017 09:43

BANG!!!! .... ZOOOOOOOOOM ........ .... .. glad ta see ya back Rocky Dijon ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 4, 2017 09:44

Rocky Dijon
5 December, 2015 - sessions commence at John Henry's Studio before moving to British Grove. Sessions end 18 December. 13 December is a day off. BLUE AND LONESOME is recorded 11 December, 14 December, and 15 December. All other dates are spent working on new material.

7 April 2016 - two weeks of mixing and overdubbing for BLUE AND LONESOME commences at British Grove.

13 June 2016 - sessions resume at British Grove on the new material begun in December. Sessions end 26 June.

16 February 2017 - Mick and Keith start a weeklong session at Germano Studios in New York to develop material for the new album together.

9 March 2017 - Keyon Harrold overdubs trumpet for a track for the new Stones album. Only Keith and producer Don Was are in attendance.

24 April 2017 - Ronnie and Charlie back Mick for "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" in sessions at Mick's home studio in Richmond during this week. The three attend the Jazz FM Awards on 25 April to accept awards on behalf of the band. Keith and Don Was are not present.

30 May 2017 - the band resumes recording sessions for the new album at British Grove. Sessions break on 9 June.

28 June 2017 - Keith records overdubs for the new album at Germano Studios in New York.

29 November 2017 - Keith works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Germano Studios in New York.

1 December 2017 - Mick works up new material for consideration for the new Stones album at Henson Studios in Los Angeles.

Thanks Rocky!

Date: December 4, 2017 09:49

So they worked together in June 2016 (London), February 2017 (New York) May-June 2017 (London)...and maybe right now!

Date: December 4, 2017 10:18

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

Thanks Rocky!

thumbs up

And there it is...the ultimate timeline....and here we are two years after the first sessions...seems like yesterday...I was still preoccupied with Crosseyed Heart...

Thinking positively in this post-No Filter period that things might fall together. thumbs up

Date: December 4, 2017 10:39

Hairball
KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

Thanks Rocky!

thumbs up

And there it is...the ultimate timeline....and here we are two years after the first sessions...seems like yesterday...I was still preoccupied with Crosseyed Heart...

Thinking positively in this post-No Filter period that things might fall together. thumbs up

This is bloody gold. I could not of done it any better myself (and I'm very good at this sort of thing).

Brother.. I thank you. This is the timeline I will use in reference to the new albums progress. So I was correct...in that the band recorded on it three times since they started in December of 2015 = 4 times total. As well there was a few interludes in between that between them and then there was the week long Mick and Keith writing session.

Has been done in pieces and bits thus far. I think after this little stint in November. They will hit it hard and finish it.

Thanks soooooo much again for this timeline. This would of bugged me until I finally researched it myself (and it would of taken me much longer).

You da man!!!

Date: December 4, 2017 10:45

Rocky Dijon

* All are welcome to disregard, disparage as "fake news," request specific citations, or re-state as one's own unique understanding of the facts as so inclined. Some of us are just trying to do this jigsaw puzzle before it rains any more. Cheers to Bard, Terry, and Jody. You're lovely gentlemen. My sincere condolences to Skippy. Your wit and cynicism can still brighten my day with regularity. StonesTod and others are still much missed. The board, at its best, could educate and amuse like nobody's business. Quite a collection of characters. Someone should make an exhibition of the lot of you. Cheers and Happy Christmas to one and all.

This is bloody gold!!! Thanks soooo much. Now we know (generally) what they did on it.

Date: December 4, 2017 10:49

Hairball

Maybe you can find it in the news (July 27):
[www.stonesnews.com]

I'm not able to post the pic! smiling smiley

Date: December 4, 2017 11:02

KRiffhard
Hairball

Maybe you can find it in the news (July 27):
[www.stonesnews.com]

I'm not able to post the pic! smiling smiley
Ah yes thanks, not as big as I imagined though hard to tell dimensions due to the corner shot.
Looks almost like a spare bedroom converted into a personal studio with just enough space for a small keyboard, a guitar, and a bunch of gadgetry on a desk.
I was imagining a gigantic room with soundproofing, a separate mixing room, etc...more of a proper studio, but again hard to tell the size of it all from that pic.

ps - How did Charlie fit his drum set in that tiny studio!!!winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 11:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 4, 2017 11:37

Rocky Dijon

So pleased to see Rocky posting. I was losing heart regarding this place. I know his rundown is the opposite of fake news, and it makes perfect sense for the Twins to work up more material separately if they hope to be able to record basic tracks mainly live as they used to and did for Blue and Lonesome.

Fun to see Mick in what used to be RCA Studio B. Back in my rock and roll band days we cut there with Jack Nitzsche producing (well. Jack was pretty out of it after the first day or so but he got paid and he gave us a lot of good drum and bass arrangements on his good day). Now days, when I look at the photo of Mick there, the place looks eerily the same but i swear I can’t really remember the physicality of recording there. I remember where the drummer set up, and Joni Mitchell sitting next to Jack at the board, but that’s sort of it. Maybe I had a bit too much Jack (Daniels, not Nitzsche). Well, both.

Cheers, Rocky. Hope you’re well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 22:37 by TeddyB1018.

Date: December 4, 2017 12:03

Thanks, Rocky! thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home