Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28
Re: OT: NFL 2016 season
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: November 27, 2016 00:46

I could go through the whole list for you, if you want to be angry at the Patriots for winning. Spygate: Jimmy Johnson says lots of coaches have taped walk-throughs. Deflategate: No evidence; not to mention, independent reports claim that Roethlisberger used to like his footballs a bit over-inflated. All quarterbacks in the league preferred their footballs to be a certain way, before the game. And no two QBs are a like. The league created rules, influenced by both Brady and Peyton Manning, concerning how footballs could be handled before games. Look into that.* The league made Brady the fall guy, because the Patriots win too much.

* [nesn.com]

Date: November 27, 2016 00:48

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom
Socrates1
It seems like Pete Carroll has calmed down a bit.

i believe he is the oldest coach in the league at 65. he does show amazing energy for his age.

Where is Bill Belichick's Birth Certificate?... I'm too leery to call Hell.They may lie as well Who knows? Although internet says he is 64 - label claim may read 66. Collusion once again.

I was responding to this post, of course. I don't care who Pete Carroll or Richard Sherman want to yell at because they're 1-1 in the Super Bowl. They ought to be blaming themselves, not the refs, not the league, etc.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 27, 2016 04:08

Seahawks vs Pats in the next Super Bowl. No rocket science degree required.

Date: November 27, 2016 04:23

Midnight Toker

I would actually be shocked if that's the SB matchup. sorry I don't see both of those teams making it there

Date: November 27, 2016 05:02

Had I said: "F*ck you ," now that would have been serious. "F*ck off Seahawks" was more like saying: "congratulations." It wasn't supposed to be a big affront to the Seahawks organization. Your team won the game, I expressed outrage. The asterisk in "F*ck off" should have been enough of a clue that I was trying to be humorous. And "F*ck off Seahawks" kind of rhymes... I thought the reposts of the Sherman/Brady pics were funny. Comedians can't even perform on college campuses anymore because people take themselves too seriously. Now I'm probably doing that. And I'm on a weird soapbox.... When I started talking about Pete Carroll, early-on in this thread, I didn't realize there were so many diehard Seahawks fans here. Maybe Pete Carroll listened, he seems to have calmed down a bit. So, "F*ck off Seahawks," because you beat the Patriots the last time you played them.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 27, 2016 07:53

Socrates1
Had I said: "F*ck you ," now that would have been serious. "F*ck off Seahawks" was more like saying: "congratulations." It wasn't supposed to be a big affront to the Seahawks organization. Your team won the game, I expressed outrage. The asterisk in "F*ck off" should have been enough of a clue that I was trying to be humorous. And "F*ck off Seahawks" kind of rhymes... I thought the reposts of the Sherman/Brady pics were funny. Comedians can't even perform on college campuses anymore because people take themselves too seriously. Now I'm probably doing that. And I'm on a weird soapbox.... When I started talking about Pete Carroll, early-on in this thread, I didn't realize there were so many diehard Seahawks fans here. Maybe Pete Carroll listened, he seems to have calmed down a bit. So, "F*ck off Seahawks," because you beat the Patriots the last time you played them.

you have to admit that it was a highly entertaining game after a season of not so good games. nfl needs way more of that! i think the hawks/bucs game is going to be close today. lot of injuries on the hawks. think they will still win but it will be close.

Date: November 27, 2016 08:02

I used to be really into football. I only really half-watch most games now. Baseball is so much more civilized. And basketball. Hockey I will probably never get. Football kind of bums me out sometimes. This is our great sport? NFL viewership is down this year. The game should change. Turn it into flag football, so we're not bashing in the brains of our best and brightest any longer. People outside the USA think we're crazy to not watch soccer. It seems like a boring game to me. But I wasn't raised on it. Robert Kraft built a big soccer stadium in Mass. Good for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 09:31 by Socrates1.

Date: November 27, 2016 08:15

I have nothing against the Seahawks. Maybe I shouldn't have even brought them up on this thread... I have nothing against Rex and Dusty Ryan either. The Cowboys are better this year in the NFC. I'm sorry for your impending loss to the Cowboys in the NFC championship. I'm sorry for Seattle, just for that future event. I want to apologize to all football fans in Seattle for the Cowboys being so great this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 09:25 by Socrates1.

Date: November 27, 2016 12:32

Socrates1
I have nothing against the Seahawks. Maybe I shouldn't have even brought them up on this thread... I have nothing against Rex and Dusty Ryan either. The Cowboys are better this year in the NFC. I'm sorry for your impending loss to the Cowboys in the NFC championship. I'm sorry for Seattle, just for that future event. I want to apologize to all football fans in Seattle for the Cowboys being so great this year.

we shall see in january.... winking smiley

Date: November 27, 2016 21:37

Like Brandon Marshall said recently, "you have to be crazy to play football." They don't play for any kind of honor. They don't play for the love of the game. They play for the money. And I don't blame them. But the game needs to change in some drastic ways. Here we are, the fans, loving this game, and they wheel people off the field on stretchers. That's messed up. They're putting their lives on the line for our entertainment. I'm sick of football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 21:38 by Socrates1.

Date: November 28, 2016 01:34

I don't want to bum everybody out. A couple years ago there was all this awareness about the dangers concussions, then everybody forgot about it (no pun intended). Why is that? They're bringing the game to Germany and Mexico now because tv ratings in the USA are way down this season. We must all be feeling something about this game, even if we don't want to admit it to ourselves. It's a messed up game, because of what we know via science. Why does the rest of the world play soccer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 01:35 by Socrates1.

Date: November 28, 2016 01:38

But by all means enjoy your Sunday football... Go team....

Date: November 28, 2016 05:01

I just heard a few words from Tom Brady's post-game interview. Tom said, "football matters to him." He was referring to one of his teammates, and I don't know who he was talking about. I didn't catch the whole thing. I don't want to offend Tom Brady. He's the greatest quarterback of all time. That's because football matters to him. Football matters to Tom. We should be taking better care of our athletes. Those football players are the toughest guys in the world. It doesn't make us tough for watching the game. No one is tough because they watch the game. That doesn't make a coach tough for watching the game. That doesn't make an owner tough for watching the game.

The players are tough. The fans aren't. We're all mortals. Everybody watching football is a mortal human being. I'm repeating myself tonight. And I don't mean to take up so much space on the thread. Post at your leisure about football. Football matters to me. Those guys aren't getting paid enough for what they do. Enjoy your football games. Enjoy your football thread. I happen to be in a bad mood, and there are my words on the internet. I've aired my grievance.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 28, 2016 06:02

Socrates1
I just heard a few words from Tom Brady's post-game interview. Tom said, "football matters to him." He was referring to one of his teammates, and I don't know who he was talking about. I didn't catch the whole thing. I don't want to offend Tom Brady. He's the greatest quarterback of all time. That's because football matters to him. Football matters to Tom. We should be taking better care of our athletes. Those football players are the toughest guys in the world. It doesn't make us tough for watching the game. No one is tough because they watch the game. That doesn't make a coach tough for watching the game. That doesn't make an owner tough for watching the game.

The players are tough. The fans aren't. We're all mortals. Everybody watching football is a mortal human being. I'm repeating myself tonight. And I don't mean to take up so much space on the thread. Post at your leisure about football. Football matters to me. Those guys aren't getting paid enough for what they do. Enjoy your football games. Enjoy your football thread. I happen to be in a bad mood, and there are my words on the internet. I've aired my grievance.

I understand what you are trying to say. yes footballs matters to most players. What is ironic is poor blue color people just about getting buy pay money to watch 22 millionares on the field knocking eachother's heads off. Just the opposite of what happened at the colossium in Rome 2000 years ago.
Its funny how a player says he bleeds the color of his team but when he's a UFA all the stuff goes out the window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 06:04 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 28, 2016 06:13

One more thing. Go Bills!!!

Date: November 28, 2016 06:31

At least no one is killed on the field anymore. Everybody should read this if you like American football (the only football that I consider football). I think this is worth reprinting here, just in case you don't feel like clicking on a link. Now I've really taken over the thread....

1st Football Game Between Rutgers and Princeton Nov 6, 1869
On This Date in History: President Theodore Roosevelt had an affinity for football. It provided physical fitness to build bodies and competition to build character. He liked the way that it taught teamwork and inspired individuals to never give up. American football had been in its development stages during the 19th century and at least 10 of his Roughriders listed their occupations as football players when they signed up in 1898. While the beginnings of the NFL did not come about with George Halas until 1920, professional football in America can be traced to as early as 1892 and college football to 1869. Perhaps all those football players joining up with Teddy Roosevelt to fight the Spanish is an indication of the rather wild and woolly landscape surrounding college football at the time. Now, you have to remember, at the turn of the century western colleges and universities were in a relatively fledgling state and the dominance of higher education resided in what we now call the Ivy League. That also held true for college football and the three reigning powers of the gridiron were Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

Robert "Tiny" Maxwell in 1905
The presidents of those institutions as well as others were scratching their heads on this date in 1905 as the previous day they had been taken to the proverbial woodshed by the young President of the United States. You see, President Roosevelt had seen a photograph of Swarthmore College lineman Bob Maxwell who had been savagely beaten during a game. Seems that Penn knew that the agile, 250 pound Maxwell was the best player on Swarthmore so the team focused its effort on everyone pounding Maxwell early and often. The photo of him staggering off the field was so graphic that the Old Roughrider must have thought that the game had gotten too rough. As it turns out, he had good reason. Players wore very little padding and helmets were nothing more than a leather cap. Routinely, slugging and punching took place on the field and gang tackling was rampant. A favorite play was the “flying wedge” in which an entire team formed a V and plowed down the field like a tank. The players would often lock arms or even grab on to one another’s belts equipped with special handles. More often than not, the result was players strewn across the field and slugfests erupting. In 1905, there was roughly one-fifth the number of college football players as there are today, yet, 18 were killed and 159 severely injured in that one year alone.

The "Flying Wedge" Formation
So, on October 9, 1905, Teddy summoned representatives from Yale, Harvard and Princeton to the White House. When they arrived, he may have walked softly but he certainly brandished the Big Stick. He told them that if footbal could not put an end to on-field brutality, then he would abolish the game with an Executive Order. It’s kinda funny that young men being maimed or killed on the field did not make the coaches and presidents of the schools to consider changes and it took a roar from the Bully Pulpit got their attention. They should have noticed all by themselves that interest in football was on the decline due to the violence, high risk of injury and potential for fatalities. On the West Coast, Stanford and Cal had even dropped football due in favor of English Rugby. So, the following day the coaches got to work on making changes in order to save their jobs if not to help save some lives.

Football Has Never Been For the Faint of Heart
First, the American Football Rules Committee was formed with the three influential forces on the governing body rising in the form of Walter Camp, Harvard’s William Reid and Captain Palmer Pierce of the United States Military Academy. The committee established a neutral zone along a line of scrimmage between the opposing teams with a requirement that at least 6 men had to be on that line. The distance required for a 1st down was changed to 10 yards instead of 5. The forward pass was put into the rules and, perhaps most importantly, mass formations were banned as was gang tackling. Game times were reduced to one hour with two 30-minute halves. While it doesn’t appear to monumental on paper, these rules changes had some dramatic results. The forward pass was used sparingly but the defenses were forced to weaken their lines due to the threat of the pass. That little neutral zone reduced the number of fights that broke out and the 6 man requirement took away the mass momentum plays. Two yards and a cloud of dust off-tackle plays became more common. With a less-potent ground attack, the additional five yards required for a new set of downs resulted in more frequent punts and an increased use of the field goal, which were worth 4 points at the time, compared to 5 points for a touchdown. In 1906, only 6 players were killed and 3 of those were Ivy Leaguers who died in fistfights.

Walter Camp Did Not Outlaw Touchdown Celebrations
The committee changed its name to the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States when it met in 1906 before eventually settling on the National Collegiate Athletic Association moniker. Whatever the name, conditions for football improved and Roosevelt did not ban the game. Nevertheless, the NCAA football rules committee became much more vigilant. In 1907, the number of deaths on the football field were up again to eleven. In reaction to the new rules, the Minnesota Shift was developed in which the line and backs would shift, sometimes twice, prior to the ball being snapped in a somewhat intricate manner. The maneuvers were designed to outflank the defense. The death toll rose to 33 in 1909 (The NY Times via the Chicago Tribune claimed 26 deaths at the time) and it was that year, specifically a game between Harvard and Yale in November 1909, that veteran sportswriter Frank Deford says was the real turning point in the sport. So, in 1910, new rules were implemented that made the line of scrimmage requirement 7 men and reduced the reward for a field goal to 3 points. By 1912, the touchdown was changed to 6 points. Pushing and pulling the ball carrier was disallowed and players running interlocked interference was banned. The flying tackle, which called for a tackler to leave his feet, was also put on the shelf. But, they did not ban touchdown celebrations.

[symonsez.wordpress.com]

Date: November 28, 2016 06:32

More Hot Rocks

We need to look out for them. They've got on an upward-momentum thing going on....

Date: November 28, 2016 13:12

Socrates1
More Hot Rocks

We need to look out for them. They've got on an upward-momentum thing going on....

nice story on nfl.com about kim perugala & how they are helping out the economy in buffalo & making the team(s) work. my seahawks stunk yesterday. hopefully they will bounce back. lot of injuries this week but that's no excuse for the poor o line play. it was pathetic. after the 1st quarter, the defense was usual superb self even without key players in every group. hopefully they will rebound. we still have 3 game lead on the division & 2nd seed. giants have better record but are a wild card team at this point.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 28, 2016 15:59

keefriffhard4life
Midnight Toker

I would actually be shocked if that's the SB matchup. sorry I don't see both of those teams making it there

Well, we got a little closer to knowing. The Pats have some injuries and are only human, after all. They just got by the Jets. However, I can't see any other teams that will take them down (at least not without a fight to the end).

Same with the Seahawks (I still think Dallas will screw up somewhere, most likely against the Seahawks in a championship game). No. I do not know what happened in the loss to the Bucs. Then again, I thought the Vikings would beat the Lions and the Broncos would do the same with the Chiefs.

If anything, the playoff scenarios became somewhat clearer. I'm looking forward to these last few weeks of football (one of my local teams are in it, at least).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 16:01 by nightskyman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2016 16:31

Don't know what happened in the loss to the Bucs? It's simple: the Bucs outplayed their asses! Jimmy Graham is a dud.

I'm not surprised by that game at all.

Saints looked like a team that finally has its act together. The Rams will be a good team soon, it's obvious.

The battle for best place in the AFC North is ridiculous - Baltimore and Pittsburgh stink! Whoever it is that makes the playoffs will most likely be one and done.

Same with the AFC South.

I love it that Miami is getting it together. And Tampa. That means both Florida teams will have winning records and possibly make the playoffs.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 28, 2016 17:31

The Seahawks are a lot like the Bucs from 15-20 years ago, with a slightly better offense. Mostly, though, it's pray you can get on the right side of an ugly score, a la 15-13, 12-10 kind of thing. Hope the defense doesn't have an off day.

Date: November 29, 2016 01:44

The Pats are pretty beat up right now. I hope they make it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a dark horse AFC team take it all the way, starting with a wild-card slot. I always forget about the Giants. I try to. I'm sticking with the Cowboys in the NFC. Giants vs. Cowboys in the NFC title game? With the Giants losing badly? Maybe the Cowboys don't even have a reasonable challenger at this point in the NFC.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 29, 2016 02:20

Bills will be 8-8 again folks. Rex and his fat ass brother will be back.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2016 15:21

Socrates1
The Pats are pretty beat up right now. I hope they make it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a dark horse AFC team take it all the way, starting with a wild-card slot. I always forget about the Giants. I try to. I'm sticking with the Cowboys in the NFC. Giants vs. Cowboys in the NFC title game? With the Giants losing badly? Maybe the Cowboys don't even have a reasonable challenger at this point in the NFC.

When the Giants manage to make the playoffs Tom Brady probably wants to quit.

Date: November 29, 2016 15:39

black n blue

the bills have been hurt all year. if they finish 8-8 why would they fire the coach? if you showed me who would be injured for the bills this year i'd say 4-12 record at best

Date: November 29, 2016 15:41

and the bucs game is why i said i don't see seattle in the super bowl

Posted by: basti ()
Date: November 29, 2016 15:50

Superbowl is

Dallas vs New England or Dallas vs Giants

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 29, 2016 15:53

basti
Superbowl is

Dallas vs New England or Dallas vs Giants
The Cowboys and the Giants are both in the NFC East...they can't both be in the Super Bowl (although that would be exceedingly fun).

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 30, 2016 05:01

keefriffhard4life
black n blue

the bills have been hurt all year. if they finish 8-8 why would they fire the coach? if you showed me who would be injured for the bills this year i'd say 4-12 record at best

Same old shit from the bills 7-9 or 8-8!is getting old. I don't see them winning more games than 8 or 9 with ryan

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 30, 2016 05:34

Dallas will lose to Detroit.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home