Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 4, 2016 12:31

And now Farage has resigned as UKIP leader.... hot smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2016 12:35

mtaylor

Thank God for that. Horrible little man.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2016 14:14

mtaylor
Funny enough, now millions of British people are applying for an Irish passport as a supplement to their British one. Then the option of free movement within EU is still available.

God knows, if Farage will request a French passport hot smiley

Many are, yes. However, only those with a legitimate claim will be eligible: Parent(s) who hold Irish Citizenship, or those British Passport-holders who were actually born in the Irish Republic. It isn't as simple as banging your first, demanding one. The majority of British citizens are not entitled to one.

Date: July 4, 2016 14:41

Big Al
mtaylor
Funny enough, now millions of British people are applying for an Irish passport as a supplement to their British one. Then the option of free movement within EU is still available.

Many are, yes. However, only those with a legitimate claim will be eligible: Parent(s) who hold Irish Citizenship, or those British Passport-holders who were actually born in the Irish Republic. It isn't as simple as banging your first, demanding one. The majority of British citizens are not entitled to one.
And. according to the Irish authorities, grandparents.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 4, 2016 16:28

mtaylor

I'm not a fan of Farage at all, but..........
There is a saying that 'all Politicians' careers end in failure'.
Well, dependent on how things turn out (and an objective analysis is probably 10 years into the future), then he may prove to be the exception to that rule.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 4, 2016 17:08

Silver Dagger
mtaylor

Thank God for that. Horrible little man.

Maybe, but he demonstrated to have more balls that all the other members of the EU parliament + all the members of the EU commission put together.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: July 4, 2016 19:25

mtaylor
Then the option of free movement within EU is still available.

I wouldn't be unduly concerned. With Farage out of the way, it'll be easier for the Brexit camp to back out on the promise of stopping free movement, so as to enable unrestricted access to the EEA.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 4, 2016 22:17

xke38
mtaylor

I wouldn't be unduly concerned. With Farage out of the way, it'll be easier for the Brexit camp to back out on the promise of stopping free movement, so as to enable unrestricted access to the EEA.

I really can't see that happening. If there is no curb on free movement the Tories will pay a very high price at the next election and it won't be Labour that benefits but UKIP.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 4, 2016 22:25

Theresa May should have enough backers to become the next Leader and PM.
Her long tenure at the Home Office will be to her advantage, knowing how twitchy people are over security issues.
She could give Michael Gove the job of negotiating us out of the UK. A thankless job, but then he asked for it.
If things don't go well, May being a Remainer can hide behind that. She will mix her Cabinet with both 'sides', pragmatism rules. Might even offer a post to Boris but he will turn it down for more money and less aggro in the world of media. I wouldn't write him off yet.though.
Osborne might continue as Chancellor. He never wanted the Referendum in the first place. Debt will take longer to pull down as Government revenues will reduce in the short term. That means less dosh for the Health Services, something the Leavers seem to have overlooked.
Like much else.

Date: July 4, 2016 22:38

rebelrebel
xke38
mtaylor

I really can't see that happening. If there is no curb on free movement the Tories will pay a very high price at the next election and it won't be Labour that benefits but UKIP.

For those that have double citizenship - British and other EU, such as Irish. Not free movement for everybody. Social benefits will be in accordance to the years lived in the country.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 4, 2016 22:41

jlowe
Her long tenure at the Home Office will be to her advantage, knowing how twitchy people are over security issues.
She could give Michael Gove the job of negotiating us out of the UK. A thankless job, but then he asked for it.
If things don't go well, May being a Remainer can hide behind that. She will mix her Cabinet with both 'sides', pragmatism rules. Might even offer a post to Boris but he will turn it down for more money and less aggro in the world of media. I wouldn't write him off yet.though.
Osborne might continue as Chancellor. He never wanted the Referendum in the first place. Debt will take longer to pull down as Government revenues will reduce in the short term. That means less dosh for the Health Services, something the Leavers seem to have overlooked.
Like much else.

An excellent and very astute post, Imho. I'm not a supporter of her party but of those willing to stand,Theresa May is the standout for me. Hopefully s place csn be found for Stephen Crabb too, who knows just how much of a struggle it is to grow up with little money, something which few, if any of the current cabinet have ever experienced or can even imagine.

What Is Abundantly clear is that the Leave campaign don't have a coherent plan of any kind for exiting the EU and moving forward into a future outside the EU. All they wanted to do was exit the EU and as a previous poster said, you do not solve problems by running away from them.

Date: July 5, 2016 00:24

rebelrebel
xke38
mtaylor

Maybe you're right.

The promise to spend £350m a week on the NHS instead of the EU didn't last very long though...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2016 01:09

ROCKMAN

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 5, 2016 02:22

Stonesfan62
Leaving the EU is not running away from the problem! Until very recently you dare not mention immigration for fear of being called a racist and bigot. People have been ignored for far too long and were constantly told mass immigration was great for these islands. People particularly outside London and living in the poorer parts of the country saw their living standards drop or stagnate. There was only one option in the end EXIT!! The politicians only have themselves to blame. THEY JUST DIDN'T LISTEN.

Precisely!

Date: July 5, 2016 02:34

franzk
Only united Europe can be competetive to USA, China or Russia economically and millitary. 19th century is gone long ago.

Seems to me the UK got sick of being in a united Europe dominated by and bullied by Germany and the Germanic nations that border Germany. Flaky frau Merkel took her whims too far when it came to last summers surge of migrants and the British want out of this mess. Other reasons too such as the ever expanding bureaucratic mission of the EU. Now they want their own armies and diplomats.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

The EU bureaucratic empire is ever expanding into new domains. This is all they care about. More high paying bureaucrat jobs for their family, friends and cronies.

Date: July 5, 2016 02:58

jlowe
mtaylor

Well, dependent on how things turn out (and an objective analysis is probably 10 years into the future), then he may prove to be the exception to that rule.

You quotation is from Enoch Powell. From internet: Enoch Powell's maxim that "all political careers end in failure."

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 5, 2016 03:41

Ringo Starr? But what does Paul McCartney think about it?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 5, 2016 06:25

marianna

grinning smiley

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 5, 2016 08:28

mtaylor
Big Al
mtaylor

And. according to the Irish authorities, grandparents.

Grandparents? Really? Well, that's ridiculous. It isn't, however, as nutty as the E.U.'s 'Treaty Rights' claim for citizenship. An E.U. national residing in a fellow E U. state, can obtain their child a passport from that nation on the premis that they have lived and worked in the given nation for a five-year period and not claimed any kind of benefits.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 5, 2016 10:08

triceratops
jlowe
mtaylor

You quotation is from Enoch Powell. From internet: Enoch Powell's maxim that "all political careers end in failure."

As, thankfully, Enoch Powell's did.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 5, 2016 13:13

jlowe
Like much else.

Osborne may be laughing all the way to the treasury.

He can now blame Brexit for absolutely everything that doesn't work and for any nasty cuts & taxes he decides to introduce.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:30

hopkins
marianna

grinning smiley

[www.washingtonpost.com]

so he was confused and couldn't vote because he was out of the country, but if pressed, he would have voted to stay because of the (canadian) Governor of the BOE.

Date: July 5, 2016 22:48

The migration topic that was raised in the Brexit referendum - it is a very complicated and sad one. Just saw today's latest news:

Today, Italy received some 4,500 migrants - they crossed the Mediterranean Sea in boats that are about to fall apart. The first 4 months, Italy has received some 71,000 migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea in the same way risking their lives. Italy is now the country that receives the big number of migrants - this after the border between Greece and Turkey was "closed".

Since 2014 some 10,000 migrants have died in the attempt of crossing the Mediterranean Sea.

Not too much EU can do alone, when people are leaving Africa and other places to come to Europe. This needs to be dealt with internationally. A Brexit doesn't help.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 5, 2016 22:56

one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 6, 2016 01:15

treaclefingers
hopkins
marianna

grinning smiley

[www.washingtonpost.com]

so he was confused and couldn't vote because he was out of the country, but if pressed, he would have voted to stay because of the (canadian) Governor of the BOE.

As a British citizen, he could actually have voted absentee, but I don't blame him for not knowing that, as I didn't discover I could have voted until it was too late.

Date: July 6, 2016 11:21

Stones50

Indeed it has. England pointing fingers at EU complaining about immigration.
England's answer is to close their own borders and leave border countries deal with the immensely increasing problems.

The question is then - should the rest of EU do the same and let people die in the ocean!!

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: July 6, 2016 13:21

This is for UK the worst they could have.
At the moment the persons for leaving EU has left their responsibility.
Only they want to stay in the EU parlement, (for the their wages: more than €10000 for 1 month.)
I hope that their is comming a secound vote for the UK people.
Every one in EU is worser with this vote.
And above all: It can be worser if Donald Trump becomes president.

At one point I'm agree: Europe can't take millions of people who comes from the East.
Greets,

Date: July 6, 2016 19:22

mtaylor
Stones50

Indeed it has. England pointing fingers at EU complaining about immigration.
England's answer is to close their own borders and leave border countries deal with the immensely increasing problems.

The question is then - should the rest of EU do the same and let people die in the ocean!!

Exactly.

Mass migration is one of the key challenges facing Europe (NB: not just the EU). It will also be likely to be one of the main issues open to negotiation when it comes round to the UK’s access to the Single Market.

I would expect that the more the UK opts to close down its borders - which will be difficult in the case of Northern Ireland, but that’s a different topic - and let the rest of the world deal with the problem, the higher the economic cost in terms of trade limitations etc. (not to speak of moral issues) will be.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 6, 2016 19:51

It is imperative that Britain have the RIGHT LEADER to solve these serious
problems.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 6, 2016 20:02

The US became one of the richest countries in the world due to mass immigration. I don't see what everyone is afraid of.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home