Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2016 01:21

HEY YEAH !!!! .... me ole mate Dean ...
hope ta see him and you and all the guys when Stones play London again ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 01:28

Stonesfan62
Project fear didn't work get over it!

Project Fear did win, thanks to a generous dose of gratuitous scaremongering about immigration.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 25, 2016 01:47

Hear! Hear!
thumbs up
smileys with beer

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 03:53

Elmo Lewis
Not trying to start a religious discussion/fight on here, but just saying that Revelations speaks of a 10 nation union of members of the old Roman Empire.

Way too many in the EU for that at the moment.

Could this be the beginning of other nations' leaving also?

Trying to end any religious discussion, Revelation is a poorly written work of fiction from the Iron Age.

This is not that.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 25, 2016 07:59

Stonesfan62
A GREAT day for BRITAIN. FREE AT LAST!!!!

Having half the voters jumping up and down shouting Hallelujah and the other half feeling as if they've been kicked in the teeth (using two feet, as recommended by Keith) is about how Britain feels at the moment. We are stuck with the decision now, for good or ill, and will have to make what we can of it.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: June 25, 2016 10:39

jenyk
No, Europe was stronger and will be stronger as alliance of independent states. Better than unresponsible and unable Europe Union.

Britain will be stronger in the long run. It's still a member of the EEC. Just depends on how the 'divorce' is negotiated.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 25, 2016 11:05

I was never a friend of the EU-state. States with common interests can cooperate without this megalomanic bureaucracy. I was always a friend of panskandinavism (very popular in the 1820s) though.
I think countries with similar language and culture should form alliances. Great Britain does well on its own. We have always had good relationships with the Brits. And they buy many Volvos....

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 25, 2016 11:16

"...half feeling as if they've been kicked in the teeth (using two feet, as recommended by Keith) is about how Britain feels at the moment"

Exactly.

This is the end of the UK and we and our children will regret it.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 11:16

StonedAsia
jenyk
No, Europe was stronger and will be stronger as alliance of independent states. Better than unresponsible and unable Europe Union.

Britain will be stronger in the long run. It's still a member of the EEC. Just depends on how the 'divorce' is negotiated.

The EEC ceased to exist in 1993.

The UK can start negotiations to become a member of the EEA (European Economic Area) after leaving the EU. This would allow market access to the EU, but with little or no means of influencing EU policies.

One fundamental aspect of EEA membership is freedom of movement for EU citizens, i.e. the right of EU citizens to live and work in any EU or EEA country, which was precisely one of the main threats of EU membership for the Leave Movement (or at least was sold as such...).

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: June 25, 2016 11:21

like keith sings this is SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE this will put the country back by 10 years might need visa to visit other countries in Europe and sterling is going to suffer too hoildays will be more expencive, hope we not get recession too, very,sad,sad,sad. DOOM & GLOOM

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 25, 2016 12:27

Garage states that June 23rd should be a national holiday; if that's the case, I'll work permanently from home !

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 25, 2016 12:32

farage I mean.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 25, 2016 13:05

Look, it's happened. I was a reluctant 'remain' voter. Whilst I believed we, the United Kingdom are better-off as part of the European Union, I'm hardly heartbroken to go it alone. Yes, there are worries, but we have to moved forward and stay positive. I'm quite disappointed in the babyish behaviour of some of the 'remain' campaigners, I must say. Let's look forward; not backward.

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 14:25

If the remainers think the EU was so good why did the UK vote to leave? They ignored people's concerns and just didn't listen. Ultimately mass immigration and the inability to stop it was a major factor. I believe in time to come this will prove to be the correct decision to leave.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 25, 2016 15:18

Stonesfan62

Give me a ****ing break. Free from what exactly?

Date: June 25, 2016 15:30

Bastion
Stonesfan62

From E.U. beurocracy, perhaps? As I said in my earlier post: it's happened; let's move forward and look for positives.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 15:40

Stonesfan62
If the remainers think the EU was so good why did the UK vote to leave? They ignored people's concerns and just didn't listen. Ultimately mass immigration and the inability to stop it was a major factor. I believe in time to come this will prove to be the correct decision to leave.

You are correct

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 25, 2016 15:59

Mostly old people voted for leaving.
So they decided about the future of the younger generations.
I can understand the anger of the young men and women in London's streets today.
Many of these old "leave-voters" will probably not live long enough now
to see what happens when it really cuts through.

Just my 2 cts.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 25, 2016 16:09

That's the line being pushed in the press, blame it on the older people.

I heard one comment that only 40% of 18-24 year-olds voted.

And I have heard, that so many tout "democracy"; but now, they've been calling others names over this since the verdict is known.

And so what? If the youth voted to remain; is their opinion to be respected so much as if they have more experience?

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 25, 2016 16:52

BroomWagon

... as if they have more experience?

How could they.

Well, I'm turning 64 this summer. So there are other things in my life now
to think more about as of leaving or not.
At my age "In or Out" will not hit me in any hard way. I was just thinking about people half my age or less.

So let's have a nice weekend.

Phil

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 25, 2016 16:56

2:42, that sign: this just happened, curious video. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: June 25, 2016 17:31

Since just about everything is in a state of flux (chaos really) at the moment, could there possibly be a recount of the votes or is it a done deal at this point?

Could there be a new referendum in the future?

I just read online that the EU wants the "divorce" over like yesterday. Can Britain make such a hasty exit? I thought it would take at least a couple of years to make the transition complete.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 25, 2016 18:32

Phil Good
Mostly old people voted for leaving.
So they decided about the future of the younger generations.
I can understand the anger of the young men and women in London's streets today.
Many of these old "leave-voters" will probably not live long enough now
to see what happens when it really cuts through.

Just my 2 cts.

The young, yet again, turned out in much lower numbers. It was a given from the start the a majority of older people would vote to leave so if the young felt that strongly about it they had to mobilise and vote. Since most of them didn't one can only assume they didn't care that much. Yes, the young that did vote may feel cheated but they need to be angry at their fellow youth more than anyone else. A vote is a vote and a 55 year old has likely got another 30 years or more to feel the consequences too.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 25, 2016 20:34

Figures and facts… and clichés
. “The European Union is a kind of octopus with a massive number of lazy civil servants”. This is laughable, really
The UK has 45,000 civil servants for 1 million people in the UK… The EU has 0.63 civil servants for 1 million people in the EU (including the UK)

Sources:
Denmark: 800,000 civil servants, which is 145,000 civil servants for 1 million nationals of this country (highest rate in the EU)
The UK: 2,750,000 civil servants, which is 45,000 civil servants for 1 million nationals of this country
[www.lefigaro.fr]

EU: 32,066 civil servants for 508,000,000 (half a billion inhabitants), which is 0.63 civil servants for 1 million people of the EU.
[ec.europa.eu]

. “EU civil servants are useless bureaucrats, we want a Europe for peoples, not a kind a soulless organization”.

Well, dear, the EU bureaucrats do the indispensable red tape, so that we, people of the EU, can travel without hassle, sell and buy goods and services, without worrying about such things as… safety issues for food, electrical appliances, cars, surgeon tools (you name it…), or start a business in another friendly country as veterinarian, lawyer, accountant, (you name it…),

If you do without Brussels bureaucrats, well you will have to create your own boring regulations for everything (food hazard, oil emissions, toys safety) … And every country of the EU, well that is 28 countries, will create new bodies for that stuff with more public staffers, instead of using a same regulation for everyone’s safety in the EU, which is silly…. The Brits, the Germans, the French, etc. have the same physical needs and weakness, don’t they…?

“The European Union does not give me every cent back.”
True, for certain countries, but you forget the price of security.
The European Union, since the beginning (European Coal and Steel Community) has always cope with two objectives… Peace (hence the first European Commission “High Authority” in 1952, which had the power to control the production of coal and steel, so that France and Germany, especially, could not rebuild weapons without others countries to know it… And it worked very well). And enhance economic conditions in the single market (no duties, no restriction to the business of goods and services, etc.) which has been evaluated to some 3 % of extra GDP…

The EU started in the fifties as a shield of peace, to control risk of rebuilding national arsenals of weapons.
In the sixties, seventies and eighties, it worked well to enhance business in a peaceful western Europe…
In the nineties, up to now, it has back to its original task. Maintain peace in Europe through a business safety net… What would have been Greece, or Romania today, without being member of the EU?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 25, 2016 20:44

Of course the pound will fall and the EU will do everything it can to see that happen ,,,that is the iron hand inside the silk glove.,but it will rebound stronger than before.,Tell me what important things Britain got from the EU other than a right to travel and to have a very partial voice in what happened to them ,oh yah they got to pay a bunch of money for debt they didn't sign for,and they go the right to be left till last on any improvements or left out entirely,and of course they got the right for europe to dump all the unwanted on their shores after culling out any who could be of benefit. and they got to give up their sovereignty and live by other peoples laws and justice. What they got was entrance into a club of failures who thought that going down together beat sinking alone The reason that the eu doesn't work is the same reason multiculturalism won't work,,nobody wants it. and above all nobody wants a few political pin heads to force it on them. If that elitist crew want to be European they should move there if they haven't already..because they have a lot of money they certainly can afford it..Problems is that other people don't have the luxury of having several homes all over the world and don't jet to see them. Its the same deal every time the elitist wealthy want everything but want somebody else to pay for it. That somebody is you.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 25, 2016 22:13

Big Al
Bastion
Stonesfan62

From E.U. beurocracy, perhaps? As I said in my earlier post: it's happened; let's move forward and look for positives.

Can you tell me how this "EU beurocracy affected your life and average day?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 25, 2016 22:27

The Joker
. “The European Union is a kind of octopus with a massive number of lazy civil servants”. This is laughable, really
The UK has 45,000 civil servants for 1 million people in the UK… The EU has 0.63 civil servants for 1 million people in the EU (including the UK)

Sources:
Denmark: 800,000 civil servants, which is 145,000 civil servants for 1 million nationals of this country (highest rate in the EU)
The UK: 2,750,000 civil servants, which is 45,000 civil servants for 1 million nationals of this country
[www.lefigaro.fr]

EU: 32,066 civil servants for 508,000,000 (half a billion inhabitants), which is 0.63 civil servants for 1 million people of the EU.
[ec.europa.eu]

Isn't that rather apples and oranges? The civil servants in each country are tasked with all aspects of public administration, while the EU is supposed to (I thought) have a limited, specific role fo all of the EU.

Date: June 25, 2016 23:33

Bastion

Can you tell me how this "EU beurocracy affected your life and average day?[/quote

Oh, come on! Are you a Guardian reader?

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 25, 2016 23:36

SomeTorontoGirl
The Joker

Sources:
[www.lefigaro.fr]

[ec.europa.eu]

Isn't that rather apples and oranges? The civil servants in each country are tasked with all aspects of public administration, while the EU is supposed to (I thought) have a limited, specific role fo all of the EU.

Indeed. Furthermore the actual figures are ridiculous. UK 2.75 million civil servants? You mean every public sector employee presumably, so doctors, nurses, teachers, librarians etc etc are counted as civil servants. Secondly, 32,066 for 508 million people is 63 per million, not 0.63.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 26, 2016 00:01

The rest of the world will vote for what they think of the English voter's decision. So far, it's not a good reaction. England will probably lose many jobs in the financial industry, which is their strength. England doesn't really make that much, it's mainly a services-based economy. Leaving the EU won't bring back industry, and now their losing much of their advantage in providing services. The jobs will move to the continent, and it will be harder for British people to immigrate or get work permits if they want to follow those jobs over to where they'll be going.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home