Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: OT British Election
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2016 00:37

I can't believe my retirement plan in the U.S. has to suffer because of some twits overseas.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 30, 2016 00:57

My take on a important referendum like this is that you have at least 60% of the votes........now you will get dissension between both camps......the home stayers not included as they hasn't a right to speak........

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 30, 2016 02:04

So I note that only 36 percent of the 18 - 24 year olds voted but those that did voted overwhelmingly to stay. My daughter and her friends ( who all voted ) were desolate. They just could not believe what had happened. Many wrote movingly of their sadness and grief about the loss of the European ideal.
Unlike the older generation of English, they speak other European languages, have studied and worked in Europe, see themselves as European. They were embarrassed and ashamed that their country seemed to be rejecting being part of a bigger collaborative group, they felt their future had been stolen by the baby boomers.
Now they ( and their parents )feel we must pull together to make this work - we live in a democracy and the majority have spoken but spending the next ten years unpicking 4o years of laws and contracts seems a somewhat wasteful use of politician and civil servants ' time when there are so many more important issues to be addressed.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 30, 2016 02:24

EJM
So I note that only 36 percent of the 18 - 24 year olds voted but those that did voted overwhelmingly to stay. My daughter and her friends ( who all voted ) were desolate. They just could not believe what had happened. Many wrote movingly of their sadness and grief about the loss of the European ideal.
Unlike the older generation of English, they speak other European languages, have studied and worked in Europe, see themselves as European. They were embarrassed and ashamed that their country seemed to be rejecting being part of a bigger collaborative group, they felt their future had been stolen by the baby boomers.
Now they ( and their parents )feel we must pull together to make this work - we live in a democracy and the majority have spoken but spending the next ten years unpicking 4o years of laws and contracts seems a somewhat wasteful use of politician and civil servants ' time when there are so many more important issues to be addressed.

My 17-year-old son, American, was also very disappointed by the vote. This was interesting because he rarely comments on politics. He had the same take, that it was the end of unity, togetherness.
Although it must be noted that the young believe in utopias more than those who have experienced more of life. Also I believe the young do not vote these days because all their lives they have had people taking care of them. So maybe this will be a wakeup call to them.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:35

Next time they'll ask "old" people to be terminated at the age of 45 30, "Soylent Green" "Logan's Run" style... grinning smiley

Both interesting movie ideas though...
but we are probably more headed THIS WAY... cuz it's got electrolytes in it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-30 08:49 by jambay.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 30, 2016 09:43

This was like the vote of the life time as far as I can see, at the least, important to make one's voice heard like that vote in Scotland recently.

How could one not go to vote??

If that age bracket was not caring enough to go vote in higher numbers, what can you say? Maybe their judgement should be suspect just from that!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 30, 2016 10:58

EJM

So 36% of them vote but they feel their future has been stolen by baby boomers. Do they really not see the contradiction?

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 17:08

This was fantastic for the UK. They have to protect themselves and their borders. A "one world" state is a disastrous proposition.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 30, 2016 17:37

Stones50
This was fantastic for the UK. They have to protect themselves and their borders. A "one world" state is a disastrous proposition.

A proposition nobody was proposing. It's this kind of non-argument that helped bring about the "leave" vote, along with lethargy on the part of people who assumed the majority would vote to stay for obvious reasons so didn't bother to vote themselvea. THAT was the disaster. Britain's borders aren't going to be protected now any more or less than they were before.

Date: June 30, 2016 17:54

rebelrebel
EJM

So 36% of them vote but they feel their future has been stolen by baby boomers. Do they really not see the contradiction?

Date: June 30, 2016 17:55

It's the 36percent who voted (and campaigned and worked hard to get out the vote ) who feel desolate - who knows what the others feel .

Date: June 30, 2016 17:58

Having unintentionally won, it now seems Boris can't walk away from this vote fast enough. Let someone else clean up the mess!

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 18:50

Brexit and triggering article 50 are now a poison chalice. Boris was a remain believer two years ago, he only joined the leave bandwagon as he saw it as his ticket to a PM position.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 30, 2016 18:51

Aquamarine
Having unintentionally won, it now seems Boris can't walk away from this vote fast enough. Let someone else clean up the mess!

Exactly. BoJo is such a twit.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 30, 2016 19:08

desertblues68
I have just been insulted on the bus. I am en eu citizens and have been living in London for more than 20 years. A guy told me to go back to my shifty country. I moved seat and he kept following me around. I begged the driver to stop got off and got on another bus. The people on the bus just looked the other way.sad smiley

Shocking...apparently some believe after this result all "foreigners" have to leave the UK

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 19:49

Aquamarine

Apparently, that was not the case. Michael Gove decided to run as candidate as opposed to supporting Johnson, as he had previously indicated.

Boris, Gove and an "act ot treachery"

Looks like the levels of unscrupulousness of the Leave campaigners haven't fallen since winning the referendum...

Date: June 30, 2016 20:38

xke38
Aquamarine

Apparently, that was not the case. Michael Gove decided to run as candidate as opposed to supporting Johnson, as he had previously indicated.

Boris, Gove and an "act ot treachery"

Looks like the levels of unscrupulousness of the Leave campaigners haven't fallen since winning the referendum...

Yes, but instead of standing up to Gove, Boris backed off, immediately.

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 21:10

Its easy to see why Boris is not standing you only have to read the last few posts. He would have been at the mercy of the Remainers 24/7.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 21:19

Aquamarine

Yes, but instead of standing up to Gove, Boris backed off, immediately.

Makes one wonder who's driving their plane...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2016 21:25

Talking about driving a plane, the UE plane :

"Caught On Film - Juncker "Disappears" Farage"
[www.zerohedge.com]

Brexit : an heresy or just plain common sense? grinning smiley

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 21:37

You shall se time will prove that this was the RIGHT thing. Good for you, UK!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 30, 2016 22:03

jambay
Next time they'll ask "old" people to be terminated at the age of 45 30, "Soylent Green" "Logan's Run" style... grinning smiley

Sort of like the 'old' 1960s feeling of 'never trust anyone over the age of 30.'

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 30, 2016 22:54

EJM
It's the 36percent who voted (and campaigned and worked hard to get out the vote ) who feel desolate - who knows what the others feel .

Yes I get that but why aren't they blaming their own generation for not bothering to vote?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 1, 2016 00:00

rebelrebel
EJM

Yes I get that but why aren't they blaming their own generation for not bothering to vote?

Just a theory: Because nothing is ever their fault?

Note: I am not trying to comment on the election or young UK voters specifically, just a general sense I get from what I look at as an "entitlement generation" that appears to be thriving in the USA and much of the "western world". I don't see as much info on the southern hemisphere or "eastern world" so I'd probably be wrong to comment on or imply that my observations cover those areas.

Watching my kids & many of their friends go through (and fight tooth and nail before coming out the other side) a period where, they seem to believe that they deserve anything they want, when they want it and are accountable for n few or one of their actions (or only the one's they are willing to be) has been one of, if not the hardest part of being a parent for me. Thank goodness my 20 year old has gotten out of that world-view. My 23 year-old has one foot in both camps (he realizes he's not entitled to anything but still doesn't fully grasp the accountability part). My 16 year-old is trying my soul daily but I haven't given up on her yet (nor do I have any plans to). She needs a bit more age/experience to be able to see reality a bit more clearly.

Damn I'm getting old way too soon.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 1, 2016 08:05

nightskyman
jambay

Sort of like the 'old' 1960s feeling of 'never trust anyone over the age of 30.'

yeah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 08:15 by jambay.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 1, 2016 11:23

I can't help laughing from glee about the whole Brexit fiasco and how it all worked out. Especially the downfall of Boris Johnson is a pleasure to see.

Then again, I'm truelly sorry for all the English people either abroad or in the UK who didn't want this and now have to suffer the consequences. Not to mention the terrible rise in racism and xenofobia (57% since brexit!).

Mind, I don't think it's any better in any other European countries. The rise of petty nationalism, populism and blindness to the real causes of poverty and unemployment, and the decline of real democracy (and no, a 50%/50% binding referendum is NOT an improvement of democracy) is very worrying.

To be honest, I think we're heading for very dark times.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2016 14:34

matxil
Especially the downfall of Boris Johnson is a pleasure to see.

Really? He's letting May cleaning the mess of Brexit and he'll come back in 2018 as the "Churchill of the 21st century!!" when Britain has recovered from the referendum.
Wanna bet?

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: July 1, 2016 16:21

Britain voted to leave the EU. Now that's what I call democracysmiling smiley)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 1, 2016 17:15

Stonesfan62
Britain voted to leave the EU. Now that's what I call democracysmiling smiley)

England. Not Britain. Scotland and Northern Ireland voted for remaining.

And for the rest, there are various interpretations of what "real democracy" means. Indeed, many people think that referendums are a good tool for democracy but then again, also many people have excellent arguments why referendums are a stab in the back of democracy. I don't think this forum is meant for discussing one or the other, but I'm sure the internet is full of places where you could find arguments and counter-arguments, if you're really interested.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 1, 2016 17:53

Watch the video:

Johnson on Gove: "I wish him every success"

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home