Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 7, 2016 05:20

georgelicks
IanBillen
Thank you for the info. However you have been mentioning the album is almost done for quite a while now ... Not that I am disbelieving your info .. just pointing that out in your updates is all (jus sayin).

Any word on the quality or sound of the new stuff (or covers?).

The blues album was done and about 70% of the new stuff, on June they completed the new stuff and the overdubs, the recordings/overdubs were on-off during 3 weeks (2-3 days at the studio, 2-3 days off), not a single word about how it sounds, they recordings were very low profile and without many people around.

I LOVE knowing stuff like this. It seems they kept ..'working this one up'... over time .. on and off.. versus working continuously or working over one or two long segments. Also appears they took their time with it too... They were not rushed and they did not rush it. Anyway that is the way it seems.

Do you know about how long they spent in April and if they did did anything in January? I wonder where the hell they wrote the stuff and when or if they actually wrote it / created some of the stuff in the studio?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-07 05:22 by IanBillen.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: July 7, 2016 06:51

BILLPERKS
104 PAGES OF ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

IAN SAYS IT'S "SPECIAL"

Anytime a band that's been at the top for 50 years and is in their 70's now releases an album, it's special.

Date: July 7, 2016 07:34

mpj200
BILLPERKS

IAN SAYS IT'S "SPECIAL"

Anytime a band that's been at the top for 50 years and is in their 70's now releases an album, it's special.

Exactly mpj .. and due to the fact that they are planning to release a blues / additional CD with it makes it special. Perks still hasnt figured out how to turn his caps lock off and hes poking at when we think (or know up to now).

The message board hasnt been filled of absolutely nothing either, Perks. They have an entire blues album finished.. and they have a lot of new stuff .. enough for a second album ... and they want to see how they are going to release it... or them in conjunction or related in some way .... That / this is something they have never done before .. so it is special... whether you believe that or not (if you dont believe a few of the folks here.. listen to Don Was.. those are his exact words).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-07 07:37 by IanBillen.

Date: July 7, 2016 07:39

BILLPERKS

IAN SAYS IT'S "SPECIAL"

Perks .... The message board hasnt been filled of absolutely nothing. They have an entire blues album finished.. and they have a lot of new stuff .. enough for a second album ... and they want to see how they are going to release the product... or them together or in conjunction or related in some way .... That / this is something they have never done before .. so it is special... whether you believe that or not (if you dont believe a few of the folks here.. listen to Don Was.. those are his exact words).

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: July 7, 2016 08:48

I understand that they explore these options, but I think releasing the Blues stuff online or on Itunes does not make much sense to me. The people really dying to hear some bluesy Stones tunes, or Stones-made cover versions of Blues classics are most likely not the demographic that turns to Itunes and Online-Streams first.

If they intend to release the Blues stuff it would make sense to release this stuff in good quality vinyl (given the vinyl comeback of the past 10 years), or to make it part of a double album that is put out in different formats. I don't think targetting ITunes with a new Stones Blues album is the right market. I for one can't wait to listen to this stuff, but I don't know about the rest of people in their 20s to 35s.

The majority of people who will appreciate this release will be people who own blues/Stones Vinyls and CDs already and appreciate and pay for such a release by the Stones, I would guess. Therefore I think the double album idea sounds really charming. A bow to their heritage and the proof they also do new stuff. This is much more "round" with respect to their legacy than dividing the two up and putting them out in different markets. The first single could be put out on these markets (free streaming/I tunes) to get initial public attention, but the whole album(s) should be put out together and mostly in classic formats.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 7, 2016 12:01

Bluesstone
I understand that they explore these options, but I think releasing the Blues stuff online or on Itunes does not make much sense to me. The people really dying to hear some bluesy Stones tunes, or Stones-made cover versions of Blues classics are most likely not the demographic that turns to Itunes and Online-Streams first.

If they intend to release the Blues stuff it would make sense to release this stuff in good quality vinyl (given the vinyl comeback of the past 10 years), or to make it part of a double album that is put out in different formats. I don't think targetting ITunes with a new Stones Blues album is the right market. I for one can't wait to listen to this stuff, but I don't know about the rest of people in their 20s to 35s.

The majority of people who will appreciate this release will be people who own blues/Stones Vinyls and CDs already and appreciate and pay for such a release by the Stones, I would guess. Therefore I think the double album idea sounds really charming. A bow to their heritage and the proof they also do new stuff. This is much more "round" with respect to their legacy than dividing the two up and putting them out in different markets. The first single could be put out on these markets (free streaming/I tunes) to get initial public attention, but the whole album(s) should be put out together and mostly in classic formats.

thumbs up Agreed!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 7, 2016 13:05

With vinyl so resurgent at the moment , I'd be really disappointed [and not a little surprised] if there wasn't a comprehensve vinyl release of whatever is in the pipeline.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 7, 2016 15:27

Spud
With vinyl so resurgent at the moment , I'd be really disappointed [and not a little surprised] if there wasn't a comprehensve vinyl release of whatever is in the pipeline.

The vinyl is a vintage and cool format, but hardly a relevant format on album sales: the SF reissue from last year has sold less than 20k on vinyl in the US (from the 115k sold total), about 18% of the total sales were on vinyl, not a big number at all.

Date: July 7, 2016 15:39

georgelicks
Spud

The vinyl is a vintage and cool format, but hardly a relevant format on album sales: the SF reissue from last year has sold less than 20k on vinyl in the US (from the 115k sold total), about 18% of the total sales were on vinyl, not a big number at all.

Considering the enormous growth of vinyl sales the last few years, I'd say this is a rather high number - higher than I expected it to be. In smaller countries, however, where this is even more in fashion again, I expect the number to be even higher.

+ the SF deLuxe editions where mainly CDs.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 7, 2016 16:53

well, i will buy the deluxe release of the new album(s) anytime. And..i dont want a release of whatever kind on iTunes or streaming shite.
jeroen

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 7, 2016 17:04

this would be my plan with universal records in my psychotic head .Release the single and really put some push behind it. Those who buy the single on iTunes have the option of purchasing the remainder of a double album for just a very low price like $ 5.99. If they don't purchase the single they can still get the entire album for 7.99 on release day. This will help with digital pre sales. Then u tackle the 3 big USA retailers let's say Walmart, target, and BEST BUY. They all get their own one exclusive track just like KEITH did with LOVE OVERDUE with BEST BUY.
The stones also have to do Fallon, TODAY show, and a few others and I think they will clean house. Exile for a 40 year old album did awesome with FAllon and Larry King interview the day it was released. It really depends how much work they want to do. ( oh and I don't care if the bonus tracks given to the retailers are out takes from voodoo lounge or earlier). Also release the entire double album without bonus tracks on vinyl. Now with this plan you just sold a diehard like myself 4 copies. I will buy the cd from Walmart, Target, and Best BUY, and of course the vinyl. Oh what the hell, I will have to buy 5 copies since the album will also be available in Japan on a SHM cd dis with its own extra track.

Date: July 7, 2016 17:11

sales will do better if they do a deluxe with bonus tracks, indeed.
Jeroen

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 7, 2016 17:26

Bashlets
this would be my plan with universal records in my psychotic head .Release the single and really put some push behind it. Those who buy the single on iTunes have the option of purchasing the remainder of a double album for just a very low price like $ 5.99. If they don't purchase the single they can still get the entire album for 7.99 on release day. This will help with digital pre sales. Then u tackle the 3 big USA retailers let's say Walmart, target, and BEST BUY. They all get their own one exclusive track just like KEITH did with LOVE OVERDUE with BEST BUY.
The stones also have to do Fallon, TODAY show, and a few others and I think they will clean house. Exile for a 40 year old album did awesome with FAllon and Larry King interview the day it was released. It really depends how much work they want to do. ( oh and I don't care if the bonus tracks given to the retailers are out takes from voodoo lounge or earlier). Also release the entire double album without bonus tracks on vinyl. Now with this plan you just sold a diehard like myself 4 copies. I will buy the cd from Walmart, Target, and Best BUY, and of course the vinyl. Oh what the hell, I will have to buy 5 copies since the album will also be available in Japan on a SHM cd dis with its own extra track.

You scare me to death with your visions of at least 5 versions all coming with different extra tracks...

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 7, 2016 17:28

HMS

You scare me to death with your visions of at least 5 versions all coming with different extra tracks...

Well, don't they always do it like this or at least since some decades now? grinning smiley

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: July 7, 2016 22:43

Is Don Was producing this thing? Does it even matter who produces it? What are the chances of this just being another Jagger solo album disguised as Stones.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 7, 2016 23:17

keefgotsoul
Is Don Was producing this thing? Does it even matter who produces it? What are the chances of this just being another Jagger solo album disguised as Stones.

"Another Jagger solo album disguised as Stones".

There never was such a release!

Date: July 8, 2016 00:03

keefgotsoul

Time to take your medicine, if you say stupid and dumb things.
jeroen

Date: July 8, 2016 00:10

corriecas
keefgotsoul

Time to take your medicine, if you say stupid and dumb things.
jeroen

thumbs up

Date: July 8, 2016 00:24

RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

Wasn't A Bigger Bang essentially a Jagger album? Ronnie had nothing to do with it and Keith's input was minimal. So yeah, kind of a Jagger album.

Date: July 8, 2016 00:36

keefgotsoul
RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

Wasn't A Bigger Bang essentially a Jagger album? Ronnie had nothing to do with it and Keith's input was minimal. So yeah, kind of a Jagger album.

No, it was not.
They even went back to some of the tracks that started in Paris 2002 during The Licks sessions and Mick and Keith did demos for ABB with Mick on drums at his homestudio in France because Charlie was absent due to throatcancer.

And even if Mick (or Keith) brings in a solo written song it will be a Stones song when they record it together. DOOM AND GLOOM is GREAT!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 8, 2016 01:58

keefgotsoul
....... Whether it will be a great album will be Keith, if it will be disappointing Mick Jagger.sad smiley

Date: July 8, 2016 02:09

keefgotsoul
RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

No.

Date: July 8, 2016 02:21

DandelionPowderman
keefgotsoul
RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

No.

So you don't think the majority of these are Mick songs?

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Sweet Neocon
Look What The Cat Dragged In
Driving Too Fast
Infamy

Date: July 8, 2016 03:11

keefgotsoul
DandelionPowderman
keefgotsoul
RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

No.

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Sweet Neocon
Driving Too Fast
Infamy

I am not certain how the story about Mick writting almost all of ABB ever got started?

Keith and Mick worked closer together on the writing of A Bigger Bang than they had in a long, long time. That is per Don Was ... Ronnie Wood... and Charlie.

Everyone who was involved .. which was minimal in most circumstances said the two wrote and created the material <together> .. better or more than in a looooong time. Mick did have the Lions share of the writing .. however Keith was still very much involved and writing with him.

Id say it was a 60 / 40 split with Mick having more input ... but this notion that Keith basically was useless and ABB were simply all Micks demos only exists on message boards from people who are pessimistic (<< I surely mean no offense.. I'm not even talking about you specifically ... bc I think you may just be relaying what you've saw here).

The people who were actually there or know Mick and Keith or involved said the contrary .. the two wrote the majority of the songs together and wrote very closely together. What does everyone think Keith did .. Just slept on Mick's couch in France while Mick wrote the whole album...? (again jus sayin)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 03:13 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 8, 2016 03:18

keefgotsoul
DandelionPowderman
keefgotsoul
RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

No.

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Sweet Neocon
Driving Too Fast
Infamy

Interesting theory. I didn't think much of keefgotsoul's premise but Mick really has a heavy hand on Bigger Bang. Even his contribution on Infamy is deep considering it's supposedly a "Keith" song. Mick plays guitar on every single song........

Date: July 8, 2016 04:17

keefgotsoul
DandelionPowderman
keefgotsoul
RipThisBone
keefgotsoul

No.

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Sweet Neocon
Driving Too Fast
Infamy

I agree with keefgotsoul - ABB was to me very much a Jagger-led album. I guess everything by Stones is led by Jagger, but ABB seemed so to the point where I didn't feel much Keith, and for sure no Ronnie. Yes = looking at the songs on ABB, I d say besides the two Keith songs, every one is a Jagger song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 21:45 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 8, 2016 05:08

A stealth MJ solo LP posing as a Stones LP would not be a good sign imho but that could very well be what's happening. We are not supposed to know anything until they want to drop some press.
Those 'close' to the band will not say anything here other than to hype the company slant as tease-tidbits of 'news' continue to be placed over these next 3 or so months. Yes the new eoms we know we know...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2016 06:56

Bluesstone

If it's good they will.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2016 07:20

Well, here are some facts:

It started in June last year, I went to Mick's house in France, and we sat around. And at the time Charlie was pretty ill, and we didn't know, and we were looking at each other across the couches going, Look, this is it. I go, Mick, you're on drums and I'll double on bass. In a way, we had to strip it down, and as it went along we realized that we had something going there and so we'd cut it all in Mick's house.

- Keith, July 2005

There was a relaxed atmosphere making it. Some of it was home in France and the Bahamas - it was all small rooms and small technology. You have to work at it. There's always the inspirational moment and then there's the crafting but a lot of it, I found quite easy to write. I didn't write all this with Keith in the room. I like to write a lot of stuff on my own and I don't like people being around when I'm doing the lyrics. Keith always says they're in the air. They're not really, you have to make them up.

- Mick, confusing St Vincent for the Bahamas, in August, 2005, whereas in July he said We were in such a confined space - some of it was in France, some of it in the Caribbean - without loads of hangers-on. There was nowhere to hide.

I didn't think of the Rolling Stones at all. Mick rang a few times: You have to get well. Don't worry about us. I was sorry not to be there when Mick and Keith were writing. In a way, it was fortuitous, because they were on their own. It was a lot of fun for them, to be together.

- Charlie, July 2005

BUT, here it is, the one that supports the ideas that A BIGGER BANG is a Jagger solo album with a Stones name...

What it really was is, you know, Keith and I started doing a lot of stuff just on our own, and then we were just having a laugh with a lot of it. I'd already written quite a lot of material, and Keith had written some, so it wasn't like we start from nothing.

- Mick, July 2005

And then the Riff says, with quite poor math...

The ones I laid on (Mick) were Rough Justice, Infamy, and This Place Is Empty. So it's kind of half and half. Mick comes in far more prepared than I do.

- Keith, July 2005

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: July 8, 2016 08:57

They wrote stuff together as well. SSMC, Let Me Down Slow and some more.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home