Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2016 09:31

DandelionPowderman
They wrote stuff together as well. SSMC, Let Me Down Slow and some more.

Mick came up with the basic song but I came up with the chimes (sings descending major chorus melody). But I'd say that one's more Mick than me, absolutely. You can tell.

- Keith Richards, July 2005

Certainly She Saw Me Coming is a Keith riff.

Date: July 8, 2016 10:36

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Mick came up with the basic song but I came up with the chimes (sings descending major chorus melody). But I'd say that one's more Mick than me, absolutely. You can tell.

Don't underestimate those chimes, LOL.

Basically, those are the chorus smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 10:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 8, 2016 12:31

To my ears ABB is a genuine RS-album, not a MJ-album disguised. I´d rather say Bridges is a mixture of two solo-albums, one by MJ and one by KR. Most of the times Bridges sounds like a mix tape of songs by two solo-artists. ABB always feels like an RS-album. I hope that the new stuff is at least as good as the best tracks on ABB and I hope for a big portion of DW-flavor.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 8, 2016 14:15

HMS
To my ears ABB is a genuine RS-album, not a MJ-album disguised. I´d rather say Bridges is a mixture of two solo-albums, one by MJ and one by KR. Most of the times Bridges sounds like a mix tape of songs by two solo-artists. ABB always feels like an RS-album. I hope that the new stuff is at least as good as the best tracks on ABB and I hope for a big portion of DW-flavor.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 8, 2016 14:53

HMS
smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 8, 2016 15:58

HMS

Absolutely agree! I love ABB! thumbs up

Date: July 8, 2016 18:32

HMS

So... you want it to sound bad. You want it to have a big portion of bad flavor.

That doesn't kooking surprise me.

Date: July 8, 2016 18:37

I want it to sound vital, aggressive, sometimes angry and guitar-heavy. I want an album that feels like a hit to the body! I want it just to rock and roll hard and kick our asses (just like AAB & DW do).

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 8, 2016 18:50

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Oh no, are we going to relitigate who wrote what on ABB?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 8, 2016 22:13

HMS
I want it to sound vital, aggressive, sometimes angry and guitar-heavy. I want an album that feels like a hit to the body! I want it just to rock and roll hard and kick our asses (just like AAB & DW do).

Just Like Back To Zero & Winning Ugly? Please, no!

Posted by: GlimmerTimes2 ()
Date: July 8, 2016 22:33

A good title for the new album would be:

«Sucking in your 70's»

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 8, 2016 23:53

HMS

A Bigger Bang was a great release ... = Hard hitting .. high powered .. and 'in your face'. It had balls ....As well .. it actually had some humor in the lyrics ala Some Girls album or something. Pretty simple .. and pretty damn on point was it's thing! The Stones needed that one at that time.

The Stones sounded like The Stones on a hot ass summer day again and I was really taken back by all that when it first came out (I didn't realize they could sound like that anymore or again).

ABB was like a dream one had .......where ya had / heard all these great Stones songs consisting or from Dirty Work .. Some Girls.. one or two from Undercover ... even one or two from Exile but they didn't exist ... they were all in your dream.

Well incredibly...with A Bigger Bang .. we actually GOT that album.

This one will be different .. Not sure how.... but I am hoping for something great again..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 23:53 by IanBillen.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 9, 2016 01:00

GlimmerTimes2

«Sucking in your 70's»

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

FANTASTIC.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: July 9, 2016 07:16

BILLPERKS
GlimmerTimes2

«Sucking in your 70's»

FANTASTIC.

Don't get it then.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 9, 2016 07:31

mpj200
BILLPERKS
GlimmerTimes2

«Sucking in your 70's»

FANTASTIC.

Don't get it then.

Ikr .. So much pessimism on RS message boards about the band they like so much? I never understood that aspect.

First it was they were never going to make another record because they can't create anything worth wild anymore and have no interest anyway.

Then ... it's well .. Don Was sucks as a producer (<<um....ok..??).

Then it's .. well this will just be another release of left over demos Mick has... just another sub-par solo Mick Jagger record since Keith can't write anything anymore anyway...

It's always this way and I just don't get that.....?

Personally I think the last three Stones albums have been anywhere from at least good .. to VERY damn good.

Voodoo Lounge -- Of my fav Stones albums, actually.

Bridges to Babylon - Not in 'all time favs' as far as Stones albums go but a pretty darn strong release none the less... Good album. Interesting. a Strong work.

A Bigger Bang - great release.

Those are my takes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 07:34 by IanBillen.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 9, 2016 07:33

BILLPERKS
GlimmerTimes2

«Sucking in your 70's»

FANTASTIC.

Was thinking along those lines as well. Only I ended up with Being Sucked In Your 70s.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 9, 2016 09:59

IanBillen
mpj200
BILLPERKS
GlimmerTimes2

«Sucking in your 70's»

FANTASTIC.

Don't get it then.

Ikr .. So much pessimism on RS message boards about the band they like so much? I never understood that aspect.

First it was they were never going to make another record because they can't create anything worth wild anymore and have no interest anyway.

Then ... it's well .. Don Was sucks as a producer (<<um....ok..??).

Then it's .. well this will just be another release of left over demos Mick has... just another sub-par solo Mick Jagger record since Keith can't write anything anymore anyway...

It's always this way and I just don't get that.....?

Personally I think the last three Stones albums have been anywhere from at least good .. to VERY damn good.

Voodoo Lounge -- Of my fav Stones albums, actually.

Bridges to Babylon - Not in 'all time favs' as far as Stones albums go but a pretty darn strong release none the less... Good album. Interesting. a Strong work.

A Bigger Bang - great release.

Those are my takes.

I kind of judge a Stones album by if I listen to it. I don't even own copies of Voodoo Lounge or Bridges to Babylon. And I never put on A Bigger Bang. That doesn't mean there aren't a handful of songs from each album that might put together a decent little album, but the albums themselves don't call to me the way Steel Wheels and most everything that came before it does.

Something strange happened after the Steel Wheels period. They seemed to have lost their ability to reinvent themselves, still sounding like the Stones, but something different. Voodoo was the first time where they consciously tried to sound like classic Rolling Stones. A couple of the songs were great, but overall very retro and forgettable. Bridges was a real effort, by Mick, to sound modern. I used to like some of the songs, but now they sound strangely dated. A Bigger Bang has Rough Justice, and some great Jagger lyrics, but the band itself doesn't rise to the occasion. And you can tell after that they just kind of gave up and became the The Greatest Greatest Hits Band in the World, at ever increasing prices and ever decreasing reward.

I truly hope this album is amazing. Their own 'last flare from the lighthouse'. We all want them to be good, and it's been hard to accept the level they're at now. Many of us wanted them to work with Jack White, but they probably won't. Get Bill on a cut, but that's definitely out of the picture. They seem to almost enjoy not giving us what we want, or need.

It's 54 years on. They'll be judged artistically for the first 26. The rest will just be a testament of the fondness of their fans for the golden times. With the vault releases some of us are just realizing how damn good they really were back then. I hope against hope that this new album is more than just something I'll play once, twice to make sure, and then rarely if ever put on again. Unlike Exile which I just listened to yesterday.

Date: July 9, 2016 10:36

At the end of the day, like all music, it is subjective. How does the album hit you? We can make reasonably educated guesses. And then people will react differently. When we say this is a 'Keith' album, nobody seems to doubt it is a 'Stones' album.
I don't like ABB much, but not BECAUSE it is a Mick album. I do feel sure it is a Mick album. But I am sure this has happened before in Stones' history. What I don't dig about the album, is that it feels rushed, and uncared for. There is IMO no love in the songs. The bare minimum amount of work has been put into them to ship them out. I have to say: while the Keith songs are IMO both kind of lame, I do feel at least warmth from them.
All the other songs - while I like some of them ok, they don't move me in the least. It feels to me like Jagger went through the motions grinning smileyo I need something a bit melodic here?' Ok...yeah that'll do". The words are his usual. I have read how Jagger talks about writing lyrics,and I think he needs a real producer to rattle him out of that comfort zone. He's got Don Was and Leavell, who strike me a sycophants. They will never really challenge him. That is my feeling about ABB.

Date: July 9, 2016 12:21

Regarding the last couple of albums, I have trimmed down VL, B2B & ABB to 37-40 min runtime albums. To me, those shortened versions are very good albums, I love to listen to regularly. They are not great, but very good including some moments of greatness. The problem with latter day Stones-albums is that they packed too many songs, somes of them subpar, some just clunkers on the albums. Leave them out, add a single-b-side here and there and you´ll see that they still shine.

For instance, I like my 37-minute-version of Bridges better than albums like SG, GHS or IORR. Well maybe it is not exactly as good as DW or Undercover but all in all pretty much the same level.

With the last three albums they gave us a lot of songs and everyone of us found a lot songs to complain about, but the amount of songs gives us the chance to create our own 40-minutes-versions. We will never agree what songs to leave out, but most of us would find at least 10 great/very good/good songs.

Listening to my shorter versions of ABB, VL & B2B I honestly cannot find any signs of decline, they are still the world´s greatest r n r band!

I hope the new one is going to be a 40-minutes-record like in the old days, where they carefully selected which tracks are really worth to be included.

Its good to give the fans a lot of songs, one enjoys this and one enjoys that but on the other hand it's not good for the album when it comes to rating it, since everyone finds 4-5 songs he considers "useless crap". VL as they released it for me is disappointing but my own version which includes also some b-sides is nearly a treat and surely not worse than most of their other albums. So I think they didnt lost their guts and their balls, the problem is the amount of songs they have and that they dont seem to care anymore what to leave in and what to leave out.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 9, 2016 13:52

HMS

I must be missing an album. What is AAB?

Rod

Date: July 9, 2016 14:19

bitusa2012
I must be missing an album. What is AAB?

"Another Astonishing Bang" - my version of ABBgrinning smiley

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 9, 2016 16:13

I don't think the new record will stink, I cant wait for it. I love all their records.

Just thought that title was funny.

Does anybody remember laughter?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2016 16:32

Yep, Mr Perks. SUCKING IN YOUR 70s is a great title. Who came up with that one?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 9, 2016 16:58

You can't really blame people for carping. Saying it's not realistic to anticipate disappointment because of the quality of the last three albums is rather meaningless when those albums were released 22 years ago, 19 year ago, and 11 years ago. Think about that.

I have a stepdaughter who was born two weeks after VOODOO LOUNGE came out. She'll be 22 years old in a couple weeks. She's done with college already and has a career. I was married a year after BRIDGES TO BABYLON came out. My son was born the following year just as the NO SECURITY tour finished. He's now 17 years old and starting his senior year of high school. Consider the time frame we're talking.

The band were in their fifties when they wrote and recorded those two albums. Now they're in their seventies. That's a huge difference in time. The years do matter. Even A BIGGER BANG was written and recorded when Mick and Keith were in their early sixties. This one is well past conventional retirement age for people.

The last 22 years have seen the band on the road performing their greatest hits revue (which has little to do with new material) for 15 of those 22 years. That's where their productivity went. Mick and Keith have each made one solo album in that same time frame and they were released 14 years apart. Inevitably, the concentration on celebrating the past and their severely restricted creative output as a band or solo artists means a lot of fans who will spend time on a message board won't set their expectations very high for another album.

You can blame these fans for not loving everything they give us more (and many do just that), but the truth is their productivity waned, they stopped believing in their own material or else their set lists would reflect it more, and consequently many fans became critical of their output post-1981. It's a fair trade off. Their way kept them making the most money and that is where they wanted to be. Had they stuck behind new material with a smattering of hits, they would have risked having to move to smaller venues if the public wouldn't accept it. The result is they generated several billion dollars touring while compromising their artistic integrity and relevance.

For me personally, I would have gladly seen less tours and more time in the studio together or apart. It was always about the songs for me and the disconnect between the live Stones and the studio Stones is something that has made the last few decades tough. I had just graduated high school when I was third row, center stage at one of the STEEL WHEELS shows. I was 18 years old. Now I'm 45 years old. They've only made four albums in all that time. Consider that productivity and you'll understand why many are reluctant to get their hopes up too high.

Date: July 9, 2016 17:11

Good post, RD!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 9, 2016 18:34

Rocky Dijon
You can't really blame people for carping. Saying it's not realistic to anticipate disappointment because of the quality of the last three albums is rather meaningless when those albums were released 22 years ago, 19 year ago, and 11 years ago. Think about that.

I have a stepdaughter who was born two weeks after VOODOO LOUNGE came out. She'll be 22 years old in a couple weeks. She's done with college already and has a career. I was married a year after BRIDGES TO BABYLON came out. My son was born the following year just as the NO SECURITY tour finished. He's now 17 years old and starting his senior year of high school. Consider the time frame we're talking.

The band were in their fifties when they wrote and recorded those two albums. Now they're in their seventies. That's a huge difference in time. The years do matter. Even A BIGGER BANG was written and recorded when Mick and Keith were in their early sixties. This one is well past conventional retirement age for people.

The last 22 years have seen the band on the road performing their greatest hits revue (which has little to do with new material) for 15 of those 22 years. That's where their productivity went. Mick and Keith have each made one solo album in that same time frame and they were released 14 years apart. Inevitably, the concentration on celebrating the past and their severely restricted creative output as a band or solo artists means a lot of fans who will spend time on a message board won't set their expectations very high for another album.

You can blame these fans for not loving everything they give us more (and many do just that), but the truth is their productivity waned, they stopped believing in their own material or else their set lists would reflect it more, and consequently many fans became critical of their output post-1981. It's a fair trade off. Their way kept them making the most money and that is where they wanted to be. Had they stuck behind new material with a smattering of hits, they would have risked having to move to smaller venues if the public wouldn't accept it. The result is they generated several billion dollars touring while compromising their artistic integrity and relevance.

For me personally, I would have gladly seen less tours and more time in the studio together or apart. It was always about the songs for me and the disconnect between the live Stones and the studio Stones is something that has made the last few decades tough. I had just graduated high school when I was third row, center stage at one of the STEEL WHEELS shows. I was 18 years old. Now I'm 45 years old. They've only made four albums in all that time. Consider that productivity and you'll understand why many are reluctant to get their hopes up too high.

They made 4 albums and some masterpieces like 'Sex Drive', 'Losing my touch', 'Keys to your love', 'One More Shot' or 'Stealing my heart'!!

Date: July 9, 2016 18:39

What's the point with copy-pasting a long post when it's already above your nose?

Date: July 9, 2016 19:21

KRiffhard
They made 4 albums and some masterpieces like 'Sex Drive', 'Losing my touch', 'Keys to your love', 'One More Shot' or 'Stealing my heart'!!

Not 4 albums, 3 albums in 22 years: 1994-2016.

Those songs as masterpieces... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Eh, no.

Date: July 9, 2016 19:22

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Don't underestimate those chimes, LOL.

Basically, those are the chorus smiling smiley

Keith was talking about Let Me Down Slow...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 9, 2016 19:23

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2077
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home