Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14
Re: Tokyo-3 Mar 6 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 7, 2014 02:16

muenke
I would really love to hear and see Slipping Away from the 2nd and/or 3rd show ... Are there any Clips on, couldn´t find anything?

I noticed the questions about the Mick taylor solo in Slipping Away, so I thought I would pay some extra attention to the song.

Keith has two great solo parts in this song. First early on, then later. Ronnie has his solo between these. Then at the very end, just may be 5-10 seconds, Mick Taylor is taking over the closing of the song, as Keith is stepping back from his up front center spot and is heading back towards Charlie to change guitar.

Mick Taylor is on backing vocals, same as Darryl, Lisa and Bernard on this song. It is a beauty. A collaboration between everybody on stage.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: March 7, 2014 02:24

I wonder what the Stones will say if they read all those setlist issues. The most of us on this board are hardcore fans who want to hear silver train, till the next time, slave etc... But I think the Stones themself know best what to play in wich country. And in such large venues like the Tokyo Dome it's impossible to play much rare songs because I think most of the rare songs don't sound the way they should in big venues. And 8 out of the 10 people who go to à Stones concert are average fans or just want to experience a Rolling Stones Concert. The've never heard of Silver Train or Sweet Black Angel

Date: March 7, 2014 02:25

The midnight Rambler performances I've heared on video are really great!! Good audio quality, too.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 7, 2014 02:35

Grichka,

Here is another thumbs up in support of your enthusiastic review.
It is great to know that Mick could barely contain his energy, that he had even more to give.

smileys with beer

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 7, 2014 02:36

bv
muenke
I would really love to hear and see Slipping Away from the 2nd and/or 3rd show ... Are there any Clips on, couldn´t find anything?

I noticed the questions about the Mick taylor solo in Slipping Away, so I thought I would pay some extra attention to the song.

Keith has two great solo parts in this song. First early on, then later. Ronnie has his solo between these. Then at the very end, just may be 5-10 seconds, Mick Taylor is taking over the closing of the song, as Keith is stepping back from his up front center spot and is heading back towards Charlie to change guitar.

Mick Taylor is on backing vocals, same as Darryl, Lisa and Bernard on this song. It is a beauty. A collaboration between everybody on stage.

THIS

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 7, 2014 02:52

bv
EddieByword
bv
michaelsavage
Where else would be state our, um, opinion about Japan setlist?

If you are sitting at home and you are dreaming of a specific set list then you may start a new thread about it..............................
The STONES have been performing their greatest hits at 28 - TWENTYEIGHT - Tokyo Dome shows. When they performed SILVER TRAIN at the 2nd Tokyo Dome show, the crowd listened patiently, and they waited for a song they know better. You may judge by the noise level how popular a song is. Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, all the so called war horses. That is why they sell out 28 Tokyo Dome. Not because they play Silver Train.

Statistics...........

In 1990 they played Tokyo Dome x 10 times in 2 weeks.............................................Japan = 10 shows ...(100,000 per night (I read))
In 1995 - Tokyo Dome x 7 times + Fukuoka x 2...............................................................Japan = 9 shows
In 1998 - Tokyo Dome x 4 times + Osaka x 2..............................................................................Japan = 6 shows
In 2002 - Tokyo Dome x 2 times + The Budokan + Osaka x 2 + Yokohama.......................Japan = 5 and 1/2 shows.
In 2006 - Tokyo Dome x 2 times + Sapporo + Saitama + Nagoya.................................Japan = 5 shows
In 2014 - Tokyo Dome x 3 times......................................................................................Japan = 3 shows.......(50,000 per night (I read))

Maybe the samey, predicatable less inspired setlists as years have gone by, have actually been putting people off..........

1 million people in 1990, now down to 150,00 in 2014. That means they've lost 85% of their 1990 following.
I don't think you will earn a master of science by these calculations. Personally I do have one, in mathematics...

1). TOKYO DOME was at sellout 50,000 capacity now, meaning they could have sold more if they wanted.

2). In 1990 the capacity was still 50,000. Same stadium...

3). In 1990 the fans had been waiting for more than 25 years.

Can we please keep this thread about the show reports from Tokyo?

OT....My post wasn't primarily about maths although based on the albeit incorrect info I had, my maths was good, it was intended as a demonstration of the unreliablity of statistics..........paint any picture....etc

I was aware that Japan was like a person who hadn't had sex yet in 1990........and other factors

Looking forward to the boots..........

Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 05:27 by EddieByword.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 7, 2014 02:57

If the average fan only wants to hear the hits then I wonder why Mick bothered to perform over 70 different songs on both Licks and A Bigger Bang. Seems like a waste of time in hindsight...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 03:56 by fahthree.

Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: March 7, 2014 03:34

I'm really surprised to see all these talks about set list, $$$$, statistics etc.. Who the hell cares about this!!??
Tokyo 3 will probably be seen as an historical event for both the fact that this was the last Rolling Stones show in Japan and that the Stones gave everything they had and more to the audience.
Very clear in Brown Sugar, YCAGWYW, Satisfaction, Respectable, MR etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 03:36 by Grichka.

Posted by: jazwec ()
Date: March 7, 2014 03:42

so are we now saying that Licks or ABB were better, or what?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2014 03:42

Grichka
I'm really surprised to see all these talks about set list, $$$$, statistics etc.. Who the hell cares about this!!??
Tokyo 3 will probably be seen as an historical event for both the fact that this was the last Rolling Stones show in Japan and that the Stones gave everything they had and more to the audience.

I enjoyed very much about the extended endings of Brown Sugar and Satisfaction yesterday.

Date: March 7, 2014 03:52

Toru A
Grichka

I enjoyed very much about the extended endings of Brown Sugar and Satisfaction yesterday.

Yes Toru, exactly!! They didn't want to stop it.Very special moments.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 7, 2014 04:02

jazwec

Quite the opposite, those tours were worse. Fans didn't want Hand Of Fate, Loving Cup, Worried About You, Stray Cat Blues, etc. The boys wasted their time learning to play those songs.

Date: March 7, 2014 04:26

alimente
fahthree
jazwec

Quite the opposite, those tours were worse. Fans didn't want Hand Of Fate, Loving Cup, Worried About You, Stray Cat Blues, etc. The boys wasted their time learning to play those songs.

Now it's getting ridiculous. Please don't call people who don't want to hear Hand Of Fate, Loving Cup, Worried About You, Stray Cat Blues etc. "fans". PLEASE!!!

It's been ridiculous for a while if you ask me!! I think the Stones have proven above any expectation that they know better in terms of doing great gigs.... Including set list, sound, crowd management, innovations, making $$$ etc...

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 7, 2014 05:13

Grichka
Toru A
Grichka

Ah, you make me remind.

Charlie didn't stop drumming.
Mick was keep on stepping and moaning.
It was an amazing moment.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 05:14 by a bigger nut.

Date: March 7, 2014 05:41

a bigger nut
Grichka
Toru A
Grichka

Ah, you make me remind.

AMAZING MOMENT, RIGHT!!!

Date: March 7, 2014 05:47

a bigger nut
Grichka
Toru A
Grichka

Ah, you make me remind.

a bigger nut san,

Did you notice Japan's Prime Minister was yelling "Yeah Yeah Whoo!" on BS yesterday?grinning smiley

Posted by: winos ()
Date: March 7, 2014 06:52

Did you notice Japan's Prime Minister was yelling "Yeah Yeah Whoo!" on BS yesterday?grinning smiley[/quote]

Geez I couldn't imagine our awful prime minister of Australia doing that!! Maybe he would if Mick was the pope!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: March 7, 2014 06:54

A letter of invitation to Mr. Hotei from The Rolling Stones.
The Rolling Stones have asked if you are in Tokyo and if you would want to come on stage and play a song with them one night?

He is saying after the show that
I never would have guessed appearing their stage as a featured guest followed by playing with David Bowie and the Roxy Music.
Thanks, The Rolling Stones.
Life is "WOW!!"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 7, 2014 08:02

bv
drbryant

BV, I think you aren't giving your Tokyo brothers enough credit. Fans here are very knowledgeable; there are definitely fewer "casual fans" and overall, an older crowd, at a Tokyo show then there would be in the US. I think that a very large segment of the audience would know "Silver Train". Perhaps more than would know "You Got Me Rocking"

The Tokyo crowds were approx 15 years younger than the US crowds. So it is fair to say that the Tokyo crowd was in their 40's average, while US fans are 50's and up average.

Where did you get this statistic? I don't have any data, but Just based on casual observation at all three shows, and living in Tokyo for most of my 50+ years, I would say most of the crowd was in their 50's and 60's. I find it absolutely impossible to believe that they were 15 years younger than US crowds. I think someone is giving you bad information?

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 7, 2014 09:18

Toru A
The Rolling Stones have asked if you are in Tokyo and if you would want to come on stage and play a song with them one night?

I never would have guessed appearing their stage as a featured guest followed by playing with David Bowie and the Roxy Music.
Life is "WOW!!"

Actually, I am not Hotei's fan. He and his band is not my type. I believe Ayukawa-san is much more suitable as a guest guitarist.
But Hotei looks very happy on the stage playing with Stones.That smile also make me happy.
At that moment, I thought he is the representative of all Japanese rock lovers.

And I know Ayukawa-sansmoking smiley is not suitable at the view of popularity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 09:19 by a bigger nut.

Date: March 7, 2014 09:36

a bigger nut
Toru A

Life is "WOW!!"

Actually, I am not Hotei's fan. He and his band is not my type. I believe Ayukawa-san is much more suitable as a guest guitarist.
But Hotei looks very happy on the stage playing with Stones.That smile also make me happy.

Hotei is a real fan. I have seen him a couple of times a at shows overseas.

Date: March 7, 2014 10:03

a bigger nut
Toru A

Life is "WOW!!"

I saw Ayukawa san at GC on 2/26.
If he joined on Respectable yesterday, I wouldn't tell whose guitar is whose.smiling smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 7, 2014 10:23

Tak Matsumoto would have been good

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2014 10:54

drbryant

The 2014 shows in contrast, sold out immediately helped no doubt by the recovering economy.

VERY interesting comment but imho, instead of "recovering economy" one should read : "Shinzo Abe's insane money printing policy".

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 7, 2014 11:22

drbryant
bv
drbryant

BV, I think you aren't giving your Tokyo brothers enough credit. Fans here are very knowledgeable; there are definitely fewer "casual fans" and overall, an older crowd, at a Tokyo show then there would be in the US. I think that a very large segment of the audience would know "Silver Train". Perhaps more than would know "You Got Me Rocking"

The Tokyo crowds were approx 15 years younger than the US crowds. So it is fair to say that the Tokyo crowd was in their 40's average, while US fans are 50's and up average.

Where did you get this statistic? I don't have any data, but Just based on casual observation at all three shows, and living in Tokyo for most of my 50+ years, I would say most of the crowd was in their 50's and 60's. I find it absolutely impossible to believe that they were 15 years younger than US crowds. I think someone is giving you bad information?

I was there. Both places. Japan and USA. I meet people. Many people. And I wsalk around. If you travel you learn and observe and you will see that in some markets new generations do arrive, while in others they just grow older. Nothing wrong with that, but the Japanese crowd was at all ages, 20'2, 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's.

Bjornulf

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 7, 2014 11:52

bv
muenke

Thanks for checking into this and reporting in detail ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: March 7, 2014 12:25

I was listening to the recording of the Tokyo concert from the 6th and felt something was missing.

Realized it was me smiling smiley)

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: March 7, 2014 12:27

gotdablouse
bv
muenke

Thanks for checking into this and reporting in detail ;-)

Yes, BV, thanks for this information! I think it is very interesting to hear Taylor playing together with Wood on a Keith-Song, very surprising and a great idea to give him more space without "Tayloring" the other songs (and I understand very good why "they" don´t want to play him on more songs, at least the so called warhorses...thumbs up)!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 7, 2014 12:59

Thanks for the hint zgubi, had missed the info on the availability of the full audio recording ! Topic here : [www.iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 7, 2014 13:07

bv
drbryant
bv
drbryant

I was there. Both places. Japan and USA. I meet people. Many people. And I wsalk around. If you travel you learn and observe and you will see that in some markets new generations do arrive, while in others they just grow older. Nothing wrong with that, but the Japanese crowd was at all ages, 20'2, 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's.

You may be right. I saw a crowd that was basically in their 50's and 60's although there was a small number of people in their 40's. I didn't venture into the 2nd tier, so perhaps the younger people were all up there. I will warn you, though, that Japanese tend to look very young. In the US, I am often mistaken for being in my 30's even though I am Hotei's age, and my 42 year old sister was recently asked to show a photo ID before being admitted to a bar in California!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home