Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14
Re: Tokyo-3 Mar 6 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: March 6, 2014 19:56

I would really love to hear and see Slipping Away from the 2nd and/or 3rd show ... Are there any Clips on, couldnĀ“t find anything?

What's the verdict on keiths playing after 4 shows
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 6, 2014 19:57

what's the impression of Keith's playing ?
It sounds to me that the overall verdict after the first 4 shows, is that he has steadily improved since 2012, although good days and bad days as ever.
He seems to be learning to play in a different but still compelling way in spite of technical difficulties due to lack of practice for a few crucial years/ health problems etc etc.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: March 6, 2014 19:59

There are three kind of messages in these gig threads:

1) Bitching about setlist
2) Bitching about bitching about setlist
3) Some obscure messages from people that actually were on the show

winking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:01

bv
michaelsavage
Where else would be state our, um, opinion about Japan setlist?

If you are sitting at home and you are dreaming of a specific set list then you may start a new thread about it. If it is interesting then it will be popular and people will make many great comments. Like when we had a "Please play SWAY" thread and then ... they did actually play SWAY! Before tour start that is. If you are generally frustrated about life or ticket prices or set lists, then feel free to use one of these threads, you find them easily through the IORR home page link "Great forum links":

The ticket prices and other complaints thread : [www.iorr.org]
All other crazy complaints : [www.iorr.org]
High Priced Tickets not Selling : [www.iorr.org]

Complaing about the set lists in Japan would be like complaining about the fact that they drive the cars on the left side of the streets here, or that they eat rice, sushi, noodles and they even use sticks and not a fork and a knife. Or the fact that the show start at 7pm, and that we can not use our cameras to make pictures. This is how it is working in Japan. I went to all three shows and I did not miss any of the songs like SWAY, KNOCKING, or any other socalled RARE songs. The shows were great because the Stones performed the greatest hits, songs the fans do know well.

The STONES have been performing their greatest hits at 28 - TWENTYEIGHT - Tokyo Dome shows. When they performed SILVER TRAIN at the 2nd Tokyo Dome show, the crowd listened patiently, and they waited for a song they know better. You may judge by the noise level how popular a song is. Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, all the so called war horses. That is why they sell out 28 Tokyo Dome. Not because they play Silver Train.

This reminds me about a "Billy Joel comment" - he wanted to a series of conserts with less known songs. The audience was somehow bored. Then he played the usual popular songs like "Piano Man", "My Life", "Just the Way You Are" and everybody was on their feet dancing. He skipped the idea of playing less known songs and played his greatest hits and everybody was happy. I guess that's how it is. Just the die hard fans that wants the obscure songs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:09

Compare the very good version of MR from Tokyo III with the tentative ST from March 4th and toy [sorry "you"] might get an explanation why the setlists are conservative.

Jagger wants to deliver a STRONG and plaudits-worth performance. Going out of the beaten paths with unsual songs (like ST) means a risk of going off the rails onstage. That's sth Mick prefers to avoid, hence the choice to play the tried and tested stuff.

As much I like to hear rarities I must admit ST sounded rough and frail while MR was strong and tight.

If you really wanted to hear the rare stuff with MT (Say Goodbye, Heartbreaker, CYHMK, Sway, M-Mile) you had to attend the Paris rehearsals...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 21:48 by dcba.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:11

"MR...-3........ amazing stuff. Great. Thanks !!!
Jeroen"

I agree totaly ! very very good stuff !
thanks for the report and pictures

Date: March 6, 2014 20:11

Bruce often plays quite many obscure song but his concerts can be very long so there are also a lot of room for the hit songs.

But Jagger obviously doesn't like if the audience noise is at the low level...

He wants that the energy from the audience is present all the time!!!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:13

EJM
what's the impression of Keith's playing ?
It sounds to me that the overall verdict after the first 4 shows, is that he has steadily improved since 2012, although good days and bad days as ever.
He seems to be learning to play in a different but still compelling way in spite of technical difficulties due to lack of practice for a few crucial years/ health problems etc etc.

I thought that he was a little shaky on Feb 26, was on fire on March 4. Tonight, he wasn't as animated as he was on the 4th, but I think he played a nearly perfect show. He nailed every intro, his rhythm was strong and LOUD and he was very focused during his solos. The opening four numbers - JJF, YGMR, IORR and TD - were perfect. He also sang very well during his set - he sounded as good as I have heard him in years. I usually don't enjoy Slipping Away, but it was terrific tonight.

Date: March 6, 2014 20:20

bv
When they performed SILVER TRAIN at the 2nd Tokyo Dome show, the crowd listened patiently, and they waited for a song they know better. You may judge by the noise level how popular a song is. Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, all the so called war horses. That is why they sell out 28 Tokyo Dome. Not because they play Silver Train.

BV, I think you aren't giving your Tokyo brothers enough credit. Fans here are very knowledgeable; there are definitely fewer "casual fans" and overall, an older crowd, at a Tokyo show then there would be in the US. I think that a very large segment of the audience would know "Silver Train". Perhaps more than would know "You Got Me Rocking"

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:22

Sounds as if keith is not as burned out as some of the posts have suggested !

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:29

Well, hopefully! However, the first concerts were great also in the previous leg of the tour. But I'm confident our Keith will deliver throughout the tour!

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:54

I have been to 2012 NJ show and saw Tokyo 2nd and tonight's final show.
Band ensemble with Mick Taylor is quite better than 2012. It is natural but I really impressed.

And it seems that Taylor enjoying fame as a Stone and playing guitar in such a huge stadium, huge crowd.
I feel very happy about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 21:06 by a bigger nut.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:59

Mick Taylor is really a great guitarist. What a feeling when he's playing.

Date: March 6, 2014 21:03

drbryant
Midnight Rambler from Tokyo tonight.

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost like young Mick Taylor, he is starting to show his real capabilities.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:12

I'm a fan of Italian Stones for years and sorry if my english is horrible, but if you are Stones fans the fact that 70 years are still on a stage should be enough. Setlist and other details are nonsense, to play good new old songs need to do a lot of evidence that They do not.
Long live the Stones.

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:12

Powerage
Mick Taylor is really a great guitarist. What a feeling when he's playing.

Exactly.
Midnight Rambler 2014 is super.

They should play also CYHMK.smoking smiley

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:16

dcba
Compare the very good version of MR from Tokyo III with the tentative ST from March 4th and toy might get an explanation why the setlists are conservative.

Jagger wants to deliver a STRONG and plaudits-worth performance. Going out of the beaten paths with unsual songs (like ST) means a risk of going off the rails onstage. That's sth Mick prefers to avoid, hence the choice to play the tried and tested stuff.

As much I like to hear rarities I must admit ST sounded rough and frail while MR was strong and tight.

If you really wanted to hear the rare stuff with MT (Say Goodbye, Heartbreaker, CYHMK, Sway, M-Mile) you had to attend the Paris rehearsals...

Good points, however, of course ST is going to sound rough and frail first go around but the reward is in seeing (and hearing) the band pounding a song like that into shape on-stage with continual playing. You can't deny the potential ST has live. They could work on it during soundchecks and iron out those rough spots. I think that is something fans miss with the band, seeing them take a song on-stage and during the course of the tour pound it into shape and make it a tour highlight. The evolution of ER is a good example of this. Rather you like or hate it, they tweaked it and showed creativity in changing aspects of its sound from record to stage

It may really not be possible anymore though with shorter tours and setlists to experiment and push the band (Mick J. included) into doing the things needed to tighten up ST. It's all part of the reality that the Glimmer's are now in their 70s and at this stage of the game they've more than earned their right to this "victory lap". As someone posted earlier hearing some of the greatest rock n roll songs ever written being performed live by the band which wrote them is a rare treat that sooner rather than later will never be possible again. Six decades of on-stage rock n roll excellence from Ealing to MSG to Knebworth to Glastonbury the Stones have rolled. An unparalleled achievement.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:20

lickskeith
to make things clear, the guest was Tomoyasu Hotei on Respectable

Yes it's the return of the guest artist joining the band. I'm sure those in Japan loved it.

Date: March 6, 2014 21:23

muenke
I would really love to hear and see Slipping Away from the 2nd and/or 3rd show ... Are there any Clips on, couldnĀ“t find anything?

Slipping Away from Tokyo #2 is in the audio recording in the thread of that show. It was brilliant, btw.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:26

big4
dcba
Compare the very good version of MR from Tokyo III with the tentative ST from March 4th and toy might get an explanation why the setlists are conservative.

Good points, however, of course ST is going to sound rough and frail first go around but the reward is in seeing (and hearing) the band pounding a song like that into shape on-stage with continual playing. You can't deny the potential ST has live. They could work on it during soundchecks and iron out those rough spots. I think that is something fans miss with the band, seeing them take a song on-stage and during the course of the tour pound it into shape and make it a tour highlight. The evolution of ER is a good example of this. Rather you like or hate it, they tweaked it and showed creativity in changing aspects of its sound from record to stage

It may really not be possible anymore though with shorter tours and setlists to experiment and push the band (Mick J. included) into doing the things needed to tighten up ST. It's all part of the reality that the Glimmer's are now in their 70s and at this stage of the game they've more than earned their right to this "victory lap". As someone posted earlier hearing some of the greatest rock n roll songs ever written being performed live by the band which wrote them is a rare treat that sooner rather than later will never be possible again. Six decades of on-stage rock n roll excellence from Ealing to MSG to Knebworth to Glastonbury the Stones have rolled. An unparalleled achievement.

I guess we can put it even more simple: the Stones are no Beatles - not every B-side of some of their hits from 40 years ago will be recognized and enjoined by the MAJORITY of the people who pay an average of 6-10 Euros PER SONG. Macca can pull out some old Beatles song from "Rubber Soul" - one he never did live - and perform it with 60K people feeling lucky. Most other "dinosaurs" cannot do that. MJ knows this. This tour has a clear "businesses plan" . End of story.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:33

I need to say, after watching the clip of "Midnight Rambler", that it is the best possible 12 minutes used for playing rock and roll by anyone anywhere in 2014. Rock music just don't get any better. A helluva song, a helluva band. No one gets even near, now or ever. Lucky are those thousands out there in Tokyo wittnessing this 8th wonder of the world.

Taylor goes nuts, positively - the guy is given free hands, and he uses them fine. Nice things here and there, good old time guitar rock. That fast rhythm trick he does in the slow part, for example, is a gas. Jagger, funnily and rarely, loses it in the last verse, and looks and sounds totally tired... I don't blame - you have given there everything, that's living and breathing music, even when you are out of breath....thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 21:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:34

fahthree
stonesrule
Excellent BV.

Reading some of these posts, all I could think was, "Are these people CRAZY?"
Sitting thousands of miles away from the gig and they're muttering about the set list!

How is that any different from sitting thousands of miles away and praising it? Neither group of people were there.

Why don't you just stop nagging ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:38

Rokyfan
You can forgive him the mistake, no?

Any mistake can be forgiven easily.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: March 6, 2014 21:42

Wroclaw
big4
dcba

I guess we can put it even more simple: the Stones are no Beatles - not every B-side of some of their hits from 40 years ago will be recognized and enjoined by the MAJORITY of the people who pay an average of 6-10 Euros PER SONG. Macca can pull out some old Beatles song from "Rubber Soul" - one he never did live - and perform it with 60K people feeling lucky. Most other "dinosaurs" cannot do that. MJ knows this. This tour has a clear "businesses plan" . End of story.

Yes. I saw Paul and he pulled out those old chestnuts - Obladi Oblada, Benefit of Mr. Kite (you know "of course Henry the Horse Dances the Waltz".) and the one that goes "bom bom bom sail the ship, bom bom bom chop the tree, bom bom bom skip the rope" (can't remember the title). And I would trade them all, plus "Lovely Rita, Meter Maid" and 6 to 10 Euro, for last night's Midnight Rambler. How about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 21:45 by drbryant.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 6, 2014 21:49

bv
michaelsavage

If you are sitting at home and you are dreaming of a specific set list then you may start a new thread about it..............................
The STONES have been performing their greatest hits at 28 - TWENTYEIGHT - Tokyo Dome shows. When they performed SILVER TRAIN at the 2nd Tokyo Dome show, the crowd listened patiently, and they waited for a song they know better. You may judge by the noise level how popular a song is. Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, all the so called war horses. That is why they sell out 28 Tokyo Dome. Not because they play Silver Train.

Statistics...........

In 1990 they played Tokyo Dome x 10 times in 2 weeks.............................................Japan = 10 shows ...(100,000 per night (I read))
In 1995 - Tokyo Dome x 7 times + Fukuoka x 2...............................................................Japan = 9 shows
In 1998 - Tokyo Dome x 4 times + Osaka x 2..............................................................................Japan = 6 shows
In 2002 - Tokyo Dome x 2 times + The Budokan + Osaka x 2 + Yokohama.......................Japan = 5 and 1/2 shows.
In 2006 - Tokyo Dome x 2 times + Sapporo + Saitama + Nagoya.................................Japan = 5 shows
In 2014 - Tokyo Dome x 3 times......................................................................................Japan = 3 shows.......(50,000 per night (I read))

Maybe the samey, predicatable less inspired setlists as years have gone by, have actually been putting people off..........

1 million people in 1990, now down to 150,00 in 2014. That means they've lost 85% of their 1990 following.

Date: March 6, 2014 22:03

fahthree
EddieByword
bv
michaelsavage

If you are sitting at home and you are dreaming of a specific set list then you may start a new thread about it..............................

Statistics...........

In 1990 they played Tokyo Dome x 10 times in 2 weeks.............................................Japan = 10 shows ...(100,000 per night (I read))
In 1995 - Tokyo Dome x 7 times + Fukuoka x 2...............................................................Japan = 9 shows
In 1998 - Tokyo Dome x 4 times + Osaka x 2..............................................................................Japan = 6 shows
In 2002 - Tokyo Dome x 2 times + The Budokan + Osaka x 2 + Yokohama.......................Japan = 5 and 1/2 shows.
In 2006 - Tokyo Dome x 2 times + Sapporo + Saitama + Nagoya.................................Japan = 5 shows
In 2014 - Tokyo Dome x 3 times......................................................................................Japan = 3 shows.......(50,000 per night (I read))

Maybe the samey, predicatable less inspired setlists as years have gone by, have actually been putting people off..........

1 million people in 1990, now down to 150,00 in 2014. That means they've lost 85% of their 1990 following.

Statistics can be made to say anything. Any info on average ticket price -- the real cause for the shrinking audiences?

I know, that was my point - yours of course, on ticket prices, is a valid part of any equation on this too.........I get that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 22:04 by EddieByword.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 6, 2014 22:14

EddieByword
fahthree
EddieByword

Statistics...........

Statistics can be made to say anything. Any info on average ticket price -- the real cause for the shrinking audiences?

I know, that was my point - yours of course, on ticket prices, is a valid part of any equation on this too.........I get that...

I wasn't busting your chops man -- there's definitely reasons behind the dropoff both from the Stones' camp and the fans' perspective. Maybe we should draw some supply and demand curves from economics? smiling smiley

Date: March 6, 2014 22:26

fahthree
EddieByword
fahthree
EddieByword

Statistics...........

I wasn't busting your chops man -- there's definitely reasons behind the dropoff both from the Stones' camp and the fans' perspective. Maybe we should draw some supply and demand curves from economics? smiling smiley

No, no, I didn't think you were......smileys with beer

I wouldn't know where to start with the second bit but it looks like Mick (with his education and finance friends (or fiends as Ron Wood puts it) have been on it....

Hmmm 1 million in 1990 ....."I know 150,000 x a f...ucking fortune = the same adjusted net as '90...Bingo.........drinking smiley ...if not more"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 00:21 by EddieByword.

Date: March 6, 2014 22:34

How did they get 100.000 people in there in 1990??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 22:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 6, 2014 22:34

A great version of "Respectable" as well. First it sounds like that they have some problems in finding the right touch, Jagger included, but as soon as they got into it, the song just gets better and better. Rolls nicely. Like "Rambler", nice good old time guitar rock with several traded solos and all. I like the arrangement they have done it now - different than the classical punky 1978 one, but good all the same. Better than in previous tours. The Japanese guy fits nicely there, and do his thing with a good taste. Great solos by all three of them, but it is the senior who wins my heart there. That spot - a final say - fits Keith well. He lets the 'boys' show what they can first, and then, elegantly, with no gimmicks or flash, do his short 'straight to the point' solo... thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 22:40 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home