Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
Brown Sugar & Satisfaction
Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: March 7, 2014 04:15

Anyone have videos of Brown Sugar and Satisfaction from the last show at the Tokyo Dome? Heard they were great performances but I can't find any vids.

Re: Tokyo-3 Mar 6 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 7, 2014 15:07

muenke
gotdablouse
bv
muenke
I would really love to hear and see Slipping Away from the 2nd and/or 3rd show ... Are there any Clips on, couldn´t find anything?

I noticed the questions about the Mick taylor solo in Slipping Away, so I thought I would pay some extra attention to the song.

Keith has two great solo parts in this song. First early on, then later. Ronnie has his solo between these. Then at the very end, just may be 5-10 seconds, Mick Taylor is taking over the closing of the song, as Keith is stepping back from his up front center spot and is heading back towards Charlie to change guitar.

Mick Taylor is on backing vocals, same as Darryl, Lisa and Bernard on this song. It is a beauty. A collaboration between everybody on stage.

Thanks for checking into this and reporting in detail ;-)

Yes, BV, thanks for this information! I think it is very interesting to hear Taylor playing together with Wood on a Keith-Song, very surprising and a great idea to give him more space without "Tayloring" the other songs (and I understand very good why "they" don´t want to play him on more songs, at least the so called warhorses...thumbs up)!

Did you actually hear him play on that song, except for Abu Dhabi where he added a few licks?

Date: March 7, 2014 15:13

I heard him play on it, kleerie - just not as much as on the Abu Dhabi-version.

He did the same chord mistakes as he did in Abu Dhabi, just before the stop in the middle, and he played some beatuful fills toward the ending of the song + possibly one bit earlier in the song as well.

Date: March 7, 2014 15:35

DandelionPowderman
I heard him play on it, kleerie - just not as much as on the Abu Dhabi-version.

He did the same chord mistakes as he did in Abu Dhabi, just before the stop in the middle, and he played some beatuful fills toward the ending of the song + possibly one bit earlier in the song as well.

Which Tokyo show do you mean Dandie? I'm getting confused by all the wrong dates and different sound qualities. I only could hear him on Abu Dhabi so far, but I admit I have crappy ears. grinning smiley

Date: March 7, 2014 15:47

The audio recording we listened to...

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 7, 2014 15:51

big4
Captainchaos
drbryant
Midnight Rambler from Tokyo tonight.

ha ha, 10:20 Mick Taylor tares Ronnie a new one here, flippin eck if Ronnie had come in with his monster riff in reply, bang on the pickup it wouldv been amazing dualing!

What a smokin' hot band. An absolutely stellar performance. The years peel away from them all on this track. I'm not sure you can redefine a classic, but they come pretty damn close. Wow, just wow! During one the oh yeah's Mick even broke out the growl. What a force this band still is. Get this group in a studio and see what they can bang out-even if only produces one or two new songs. Add Wyman on bass and would be a near-perfect way to close out the Stones recording career.

My God, that's hot! Sound is great on this, too.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2014 16:09

episode 1.
At yesterday's show, we were surrounded by famous actors, actresses and musicians from various generations.
However, after Jumpin Jack Flash burst, they were not entertainment people.
They became just fans. All of them were returned to teenagers like me. They yelled out all through the night.

episode 2.
As we chatted with BV after the show, some people approached my wife and me by giving a look of admiration.
Then asked,
"Do you know him who are well known in Stones world? "

I just replied,
"I am enjoying my every day life thanks to his effort.
okey-dokey? He is a eighth stone from the sun."smiling smiley

Date: March 7, 2014 16:24

StonesCat
big4
Captainchaos
drbryant
Midnight Rambler from Tokyo tonight.

ha ha, 10:20 Mick Taylor tares Ronnie a new one here, flippin eck if Ronnie had come in with his monster riff in reply, bang on the pickup it wouldv been amazing dualing!

What a smokin' hot band. An absolutely stellar performance. The years peel away from them all on this track. I'm not sure you can redefine a classic, but they come pretty damn close. Wow, just wow! During one the oh yeah's Mick even broke out the growl. What a force this band still is. Get this group in a studio and see what they can bang out-even if only produces one or two new songs. Add Wyman on bass and would be a near-perfect way to close out the Stones recording career.

My God, that's hot! Sound is great on this, too.

This one (from Abu Dhabi) isn't bad either, Stonescat:

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 7, 2014 16:35

kleermaker

Did you actually hear him play on that song, except for Abu Dhabi where he added a few licks?

You mean if I did hear Mick Taylor playing the final 10 seconds or so lead of Slipping Away? I was up front and my eyes - and ears - were all on Keith, Ronnie and Mick Taylor. On the entire "Slipping Away". I did follow his (Mick Taylor's) fingers if that is what you are asking about, but also there is nobody else in the world that is playing like Mick Taylor is doing right there so I assume you may simply listen to Slipping Away on the youtube recordings.

For the rest of the song he is playing backing guitars only, that is why he is with Darryl most of the time, even during the end. I am not a guitar player so I don't know how this song is built up guitar wise, except for the fact that Keith does both of the major solo parts, and that Ronnie did his part as well. It should be eqasy to hear on a recording. They all play differently.

There are so many strange questions on this forum . Like if MT is playing on this song or that song. I see the entire show and I do not drink so I do know exactly who is doing what. I see it direct on stage and not on the screen, so there is not much I am missing.

Like when Keith did not have any microphone on Ruby Tuesday. He was moving over to the (missing) microphone to do his first verse backing vocals, only to see it was not there. Then he was pointing with his finger to his mouth to the backstage people behind Bobby Keys area and within 10 seconds the microphone was there, but too late for the first verse. Keith did "tap tap" with his fingers on the microphone, I did not hear anything, probably it was not on or not too loud. So when Keith wwent into backing vocals for the second verse his mic was so strong he was louder than Mick, great sound, I did not pay so much attention to the backing vocals but this was funny. Some might call it a big mistake but I would call it great fun and totally normal during a tour.

Then the extra CAG verse... Chuck jamming with the band. Then the Charlie ? Mick catwalk during the presentations... Like may have said here, they knew this might be the "goodbye Tokyo" show and they simply would not leave it just like that.

I was planning to write a report but I spent all day going to Macau. May be later...

Bjornulf

Date: March 7, 2014 16:38

<He was moving over to the (missing) microphone to do his first verse backing vocals, only to see it was not there.>

The same happened on Wild Horses earlier in the tour smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 7, 2014 16:38

bv
kleermaker

You mean if I did hear Mick Taylor playing the final 10 seconds or so lead of Slipping Away? I was up front and my eyes - and ears - were all on Keith, Ronnie and Mick Taylor. On the entire "Slipping Away". I did follow his (Mick Taylor's) fingers if that is what you are asking about, but also there is nobody else in the world that is playing like Mick Taylor is doing right there so I assume you may simply listen to Slipping Away on the youtube recordings.

For the rest of the song he is playing backing guitars only, that is why he is with Darryl most of the time, even during the end. I am not a guitar player so I don't know how this song is built up guitar wise, except for the fact that Keith does both of the major solo parts, and that Ronnie did his part as well. It should be eqasy to hear on a recording. They all play differently.

There are so many strange questions on this forum . Like if MT is playing on this song or that song. I see the entire show and I do not drink so I do know exactly who is doing what. I see it direct on stage and not on the screen, so there is not much I am missing.

Like when Keith did not have any microphone on Ruby Tuesday. He was moving over to the (missing) microphone to do his first verse backing vocals, only to see it was not there. Then he was pointing with his finger to his mouth to the backstage people behind Bobby Keys area and within 10 seconds the microphone was there, but too late for the first verse. Keith did "tap tap" with his fingers on the microphone, I did not hear anything, probably it was not on or not too loud. So when Keith wwent into backing vocals for the second verse his mic was so strong he was louder than Mick, great sound, I did not pay so much attention to the backing vocals but this was funny. Some might call it a big mistake but I would call it great fun and totally normal during a tour.

Then the extra CAG verse... Chuck jamming with the band. Then the Charlie ? Mick catwalk during the presentations... Like may have said here, they knew this might be the "goodbye Tokyo" show and they simply would not leave it just like that.

I was planning to write a report but I spent all day going to Macau. May be later...

Great description...I very much liked reading about what happened during Ruby Tuesday.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 7, 2014 17:08

Indeed, in fact I was listening to the show and will now go back to RT to catch these loud Keith backing vocals...indeed, Keith can be heard well, thanks for pointing it out bv!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 7, 2014 18:00

There seemed to be very little excitement here over this show?

Date: March 7, 2014 18:14

bv
kleermaker

Thanks Bjornulf. I only have the YT-clips to listen to and they're not all that good, so I'll give it another try.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 7, 2014 18:24

Toru A
a bigger nut san,

Did you notice Japan's Prime Minister was yelling "Yeah Yeah Whoo!" on BS yesterday?grinning smiley

I read an article he saw the show and said "Satisfaction" to a news crew after the show, but did he do that ?

Politically, I don't like him but it is OK if he really enjoyed the show.smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 7, 2014 19:06

Brstonesfan

Perhaps it is little difficult to get excited from thousands kilometers away, not much surprises 'on paper' (set lists) and there is not much material circulating to make judgments, but from the base of the reports by the people who actually were there, it seemingly was a very strong, and even touching concert, especially Jagger sounded like giving all of himself to the probably last Japanese concert of theirs. Sounded like a special night.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-08 11:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 7, 2014 20:35

Doxa
Brstonesfan

Perhaps it is little difficult to get excited from thousands kilometers away, not much surprises 'on paper' (set lists) and there is not much material circulating to make judgments, but from the base of the reports by the people who actually were there, it seemingly was a very strong, and even touchy concert, especially Jagger sounded like giving all of himself to the probably last Japanese concert of theirs. Sounded like a special night.

- Doxa

- what Doxa said. We have the reports of those who were there that although the setlist was "boring" (setlists in isolation ARE boring, usually!) the show was full of energy and a pleasure to attend. I believe them - Hyde Park 2 was much the same: few surprises but great fun. However, because of the way the Tokyo shows were policed we don't have much in the way of YouTube clips to make our own judgments. The full-show-audio available for all three performances sounds pretty good to me, but those who judge a show by the originality of its setlist are disappointed, and saying so loudly, while the rest of us don't have as much to enjoy from a distance as usual. What we do have (Silver Train, two Midnight Ramblers and a few other bits) suggests that if they keep up this standard there should be some good clips to come - provided this Down With Your Camera policy doesn't catch on everywhere.

PS: Doxa, please pardon me for correcting your usually excellent English, but I think the word you are looking for is "touching" (something that touches you emotionally). "Touchy" means irritable or easily annoyed.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 7, 2014 20:53

EddieByword
I think maybe people had their hopes raised for a new look setlist (at least the first half) by what happened at the rehearsals in Paris...26 very rarely played songs rehearsed but only 1 has made it to the stage (Silver train) and we're nearly a third of the way through this tour........

Einstein said "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" People who keep expecting different from The Stones are disppointing themselves, and if it infuriates them, then maybe they need to move on. They have made their feeling known here... why keep saying it over and over in every show thread?

The Stones are going to do what the Stones have done. It is what it is, and I am happy with that. IT IS GREAT!!! I am happy they are still out there doing their thing making 20,000-40,000 people happy per night and making a lot of money doing it.

I dont need more always bigger, better, faster, newer, more, more, more all the time. I can be happy with greatness on its own and it doesnt have to keep being greater and greater and bigger an better to make me hapy.

Li ke reading letters emails from a friend, I am juts happy to hear about my band still out therem all happy and healthy and having fun. I just wish I could be ther to see it live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-07 20:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 7, 2014 21:30

what ever happened at being happy and appreciative of the simple fact that our beloved ROLLING STONES are still active and touring and performing at the HIGH QUALITY level that they are known for ?still giving the fans there all and there money's worth ? life is to short to BITCH (NOT THE SONG ) ABOUT WHAT THEY PLAYED AND WHAT THEY DID NOT PLAY .enjoy it for what it's worth THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 7, 2014 22:10

People are genuinely upset over the decline in the band, particular Keith, whom we have all seen decline rapidly since VL tour. As fans, we always will support the band as the greatest , but we also have a right to be disappointed as to the minimal and substandard quality discs they have put out since Tattoo You, the fact they rarely take chances playing anything other than the hits, and the lack of a real lead guitar player. I don't think we should just say it's great they are playing at 70, because the quality is not there at times and the legacy keeps taking a hit. We are now not even coming in the top ten of all time bands on some recent polls I saw. I always expect us to lose to the pop friendly Beatles, but we are losing to groups like Queen, led Zep, Eagles, U2, Oasis, and other horrendous acts.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 7, 2014 22:30

The MR video? It's not bad at all, really. But...to me rock and roll is something else. When there's nothing else allowed to say or think but "GREAT" because you are listening at home to the videos then it's just the same tourist version of which the only allowed opinion is...GREAT... So it becomes just a great orchestrated and uberrehearsed boring version with carefully erased surprises and adventure which is going on for about 33 shows since 2012. For fans who even on iorr are starting to be afraid to hear something else like Silver Train...(which sounds 'unrehearsed'; yes, when you're used to the uberrehearsed MR or TD). Why? Because people here forgot what R&R is and just like to tell others to shut up...
WTF?? If you put al these versions next to each other you have a supermarket full of rambling b.llsh.t around midnight. They sound exactly the same. All of them.
"Tonight MR is the best I ever saw." 'No, we had the best MR.' "Listen to this, this is GREAT" "What?? Are you crazy??" 'Nonono, at our place you really get to hear the best MR so wait for next friday!!' "Don't listen to all those people who were at the Tokyo Dome; WE had the best MR!!" 'No, big mistake; Abu Dabi had the best.' "Wait a minute; I'm a certified redneck and because I have the biggest mouth I'M TELLING YOU WE HAD THE BEST MR!!!"
So where was the greatest version? Everywhere! All equally boring but don't worry great or all equally great but don't worry boring; great here, great there, great everywhere. And who knows best? All the morons who share the same f.cking opinion and don't wanna hear anything else but the same over and over GREAT for every version they hear...
The safest thing to do here is piss on other people who like you were not there (and watched the same videos as the yes-sayers and the great-whiners!) just because they don't have the same 'great' opinion. And blackmail them with stupid comments like 'because people inside had a GREAT time' other people are not allowed to have any other opinion. And they even have an opinion conductor who orchestrates;
"When they performed SILVER TRAIN at the 2nd Tokyo Dome show, the crowd listened patiently, and they waited for a song they know better. You may judge by the noise level how popular a song is. Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, all the so called war horses. That is why they sell out 28 Tokyo Dome. Not because they play Silver Train."
"The shows were great because the Stones performed the greatest hits, songs the fans do know well."
So now we know it's not about if you like Silver Train or don't like Emotional Rescue.
Rock and roll on iorr is about paying respect for SMU#1313 and YGMR#365 because that's why they sell out 28 times Tokyo Dome.
Great...

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: March 7, 2014 23:01

Are any of you 70? Could you do what the Stones do much less travel all over the world? So Keith is slowing down. But he's not dead. Mick Taylor only playing three songs? Have you seen him when he does play? The smiles exchanged between Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Mick Taylor on stage together is priceless.
For the last 30 years Midnight Rambler was a 8 minute song. Now its a 12 minute freight train piloted by 70 year olds. No it's not Europe '73. But I have saved every youtube of each performance of Midnight Rambler since last year. Set list? Seems to be the common thread(besides the lack of Taylor on stage). I can understand the perceived lack of diversity in the set list. But they are 70. I hope I can still hear when I'm 70. Maybe they just CAN'T do what we(and who are we to judge) want them to do. I was at the 2nd show in LA. I hope you folks in Europe get to witness that magic. Let the Stones be. It's gotta be hard to do what they do. Todays Mick Taylor is not that 23 year old that scorched the stage all those years ago. Keith's missing tooth is long gone. And thank god for Ronnie. I still think Mick Taylors presence is because of Ronnie. Chums since '67. And the reason the Stones are still together. Love the band for what they are today and not what they were 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. Remember Neil Young's words. "Better to burn out than fade away." These guys are going out like a Roman Torch. 70 years old. Just like the old blues players. Take care.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 7, 2014 23:02

Dreamer
The MR video? It's not bad at all, really. But...to me rock and roll is something else. When there's nothing else allowed to say or think but "GREAT" because you are listening at home to the videos then it's just the same tourist version of which the only allowed opinion is...GREAT... So it becomes just a great orchestrated and uberrehearsed boring version with carefully erased surprises and adventure which is going on for about 33 shows since 2012. For fans who even on iorr are starting to be afraid to hear something else like Silver Train...(which sounds 'unrehearsed'; yes, when you're used to the uberrehearsed MR or TD). Why? Because people here forgot what R&R is and just like to tell others to shut up...
WTF?? If you put al these versions next to each other you have a supermarket full of rambling b.llsh.t around midnight. They sound exactly the same. All of them.
"Tonight MR is the best I ever saw." 'No, we had the best MR.' "Listen to this, this is GREAT" "What?? Are you crazy??" 'Nonono, at our place you really get to hear the best MR so wait for next friday!!' "Don't listen to all those people who were at the Tokyo Dome; WE had the best MR!!" 'No, big mistake; Abu Dabi had the best.' "Wait a minute; I'm a certified redneck and because I have the biggest mouth I'M TELLING YOU WE HAD THE BEST MR!!!"
So where was the greatest version? Everywhere! All equally boring but don't worry great or all equally great but don't worry boring; great here, great there, great everywhere. And who knows best? All the morons who share the same f.cking opinion and don't wanna hear anything else but the same over and over GREAT for every version they hear...
The safest thing to do here is piss on other people who like you were not there (and watched the same videos as the yes-sayers and the great-whiners!) just because they don't have the same 'great' opinion. And blackmail them with stupid comments like 'because people inside had a GREAT time' other people are not allowed to have any other opinion. And they even have an opinion conductor who orchestrates;
"When they performed SILVER TRAIN at the 2nd Tokyo Dome show, the crowd listened patiently, and they waited for a song they know better. You may judge by the noise level how popular a song is. Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, all the so called war horses. That is why they sell out 28 Tokyo Dome. Not because they play Silver Train."
"The shows were great because the Stones performed the greatest hits, songs the fans do know well."
So now we know it's not about if you like Silver Train or don't like Emotional Rescue.
Rock and roll on iorr is about paying respect for SMU#1313 and YGMR#365 because that's why they sell out 28 times Tokyo Dome.
Great...

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: March 8, 2014 00:22

Well after listening to all these set list complaints I guess I will cancel my flights, hotel and trip to Melbourne..... NOT

I think I've said this before, but I would rather be in a porn movie then watching one and criticizing the technique of the the actors.

See you all in Melbourne in three weeks!

Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: March 8, 2014 00:31

Max'sKansasCity
Brstonesfan

There is plenty of excitement, but I guess the good people are posting less in these threads because they are so turned off by all the whiners whose main goal in life is to bash the Stones or start an arguement with anyone about anything.

The ONLY thing that is boring here how the EXACT same whiners flood every show thread with the EXACT same whiney comments, over and over.

It looks like another great Stones show where great Stones songs were played, but what is the point of posting good things about it only to get shouted down by the perpertual whiners who havent liked, or seen the Stones live, since 1972.

I wish I could have been there in Tokyo, it sounds like it was a GREAT SHOW.

Tokyo 3 was an absolutely outstanding great show. Historical as well.
I explain why here and as English is not my mother tongue, I make it short as I cant express everything in detail.
The point here is that discussing a set list from a laptop and trying to get the feeling and the emotion of a Stones concert through cell phone videos is a pointless exercise.
You want to discuss a Stones gig, at least be at the gig please, then we can talk!!!
Whining from home without getting the feeling, the sound, the audience input, all the little details etc... is simply waste of time and boring for those like me who would really like to share their feeling with people who were there as well.
Anyone who was there and didn't like the show, I'm happy to discuss with and try to understand. It's interesting to compare feelings.

Home whiners, no.

Especially because you are not asking questions really about the show but rather making statements, while you were not there!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-08 01:03 by Grichka.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 8, 2014 00:40

Gosh, feelings run deep on this board!
But is it not amazing to see if it is possible to connect and be interesting in the face of technical decline ?

Why does it have to be seen as sad/ disappointing / embarrassing if skill is not the same as 30 years ago ?

Keith has said he is going to age in public. He has chosen a solo song to reflect that, a simplified way of playing and has embraced a third guitarist. As far as I can see from the videos, it is working pretty well - yet it seems for many posters, the choice is either to try to convince that He is as skilled 1981 or be upset because he is not.

Another approach is to look at how it is possible to use what technical skill is left to give a memorable performance and to applaud when the flame still burns.

Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: March 8, 2014 01:00

By the way I was lucky enough to be at the Haneda airport while the Stones plane was towed in and the boys were getting in one after the other. Only 2 or 3 fans were there after immigration so that was fun to watch.Had a little chat and an awful selfie with MT and was surprised to see Keith going to the plane handling a guitar (not in a case) like he was going to rehearse on the way to Macau.
Cant wait for tmrw evening...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-08 01:05 by Grichka.

Date: March 8, 2014 01:06

Grichka
By the way I was lucky enough to be at the Haneda airport while the Stones plane was towed in and the boys were getting in one after the other. Only 2 or 3 fans were there after immigration so that was fun to watch.Had a little chat and an awful selfie with MT and was surprised to see Keith going to the plane handling a guitar (not in a case) like he was going to rehearse on the way to Macau.

Would be nice to post that selfie with MT!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 8, 2014 01:06

Grichka
Very cool smiling smiley

And thank you for your (and others who were there) first hand reviews, those are what I use to judge most shows.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 8, 2014 01:09

Has anyone seen patti? Alexandra Richards says in her Australian news interview that "mum is touring with dad now she has finished looking after us "

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home