Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 8, 2013 14:34

andrewt
The scarf had been busy writing songs for the new album, the first to include Jagger/Scarf collaborations along with one Jagger/Scarf/Wood b-side.

It opens with "Scarf Me Up".

Posted by: belld ()
Date: July 8, 2013 14:35

belld
teleblaster
It was a great show. As has already been stated, there were a huge amount of young people in the audience and this was their first Stones gig. I lost count of the number of times I heard people remarking that this was the best show they had ever experienced. It was a great crowd and a fantastic atmosphere throughout the day. The sound was crystal clear and the band on cracking form. I can't believe the setlist whiners criticising from afar. The setlist was wholly appropriate to the occasion. This was not a crowd of connoisseurs, it probably had more first-timers than any other UK show I've ever seen and they had a ball!

So Keith fluffed a couple of notes? Big deal. Don't think I've ever seen a show in which he he hasn't in nearly forty years of seeing them live. The truth is that he's playing much better than he did on the last tour. He's much more focused, locking in with Charlie rather than mugging at the crowd. And with a sober Ronnie too!

Great to see Mick Taylor on Rambler. Am I The only one on this board who's glad he doesn't play on everything? It would just be too messy; the Stones have always been a two guitar band. You can't simply add a third electric no matter who it might be. You can add an acoustic to most tracks like they do in the studio and like Blondie did on previous tours and it works with Taylor on Satisfaction, although this, too, has attracted moaners.

Anyway, I had a ball. Being a Scot, I found the heat a problem and didn't risk alcohol until after the gig and it was fun to see them completely sober! A fantastic show and hi to all the fans - old and new - that I met on Saturday and a special thanks to Belld for arranging tix, train, hotel and whisky. Ya Ya Ya.
Not often we concur however I agree entirely with your review. A fantastic happening and I still feel elated at being there. Rambler and Shelter get a special mention. I have never seen so many young people at a UK gig for decades, great to see and they added much to the atmosphere.
Attendees next Saturday are in for a treat.
Were we on a train?
Oh I remember now the mobile bar.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 8, 2013 14:38

teleblaster

Post of the month!!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 8, 2013 14:40

Mattty7619
It was his scarf blowing over the strings which muted notes. I saw it

Same here.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: July 8, 2013 14:53

RoughJusticeOnYa
Mattty7619

Same here.
That's exactly what I supposed. The same thing happened to Keith when he started his Winos concert in Cologne back in 1992...
Whatever the reason was ... it fu"§$ed up the beginning of the show.
And obviously they all were totally nervous, the first 30 mins of the show sounded like they didn't play for a long long time together...
With 'Paint It Black' they calmed down and the show started to become something very special ... and I loved the british audience - very nice people everywhere smileys with beer

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 8, 2013 15:06

beepee2
All right, that must be my 10th show.

I saw them at the O2 in London and I think that there were technically better there. However that was still a very nice performance, way better than the Bigger Bang tour, and the Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler were 4 stars.

As to the gig in itself, I was in T2 roughly in in the middle, between the tower and the stage, we arrived around 5PM. I thought the sound was a bit too low, when people behind me started talking it of covered the band, a bit like in a cinema when the row behind you is chatting.

The toilets/bar experience was rather far from what had been promised by AEG (toilets broke down and hundreds of people ended up peeing against a 3m wide wall), but overall that was a nice gig.

You must have been just about where I was having also arrived at 5. Initially I felt pleased enough at being reasonably close when arriving quite late but by the time the Stones were on it was often difficult to see over a sea of arms taking pictures and the rest of it and I relied a lot on the absolutely excellent screens which made me wonder whether it was worth spending any more on T2. Or maybe to stand right at the back of T2 so that arms and tall people weren't such a problem? Also I thought it wasn't really loud enough and the sound was quite muddy to begin with but they did get that sorted and it became very good indeed as well as a tad louder or so it seemed. I could have still done with a bit more volume but it was OK. As for facilities I arrived at 5 and sipped sparingly from a 500ml bottle of water so I didn't need the toilet at all but my brother too reported that they were closed and he had to go right to the other side of the field. He also told me that our special facilities seemed to be one bar but I can't be sure about that.

Anyway, overall I loved the show though I think the O2 was better still in every way.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 8, 2013 15:28

There are two reports in German Nespapers about a woman from the US who spread her dead fasther's ash during the show on the green.

[www.faz.net]

The other report is written in Süddeutsche Zeitung page 3, can't find it online.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:06

Scarfgate enquiry footnote ...

For what it's worth, Keith's typical show attire has always seen him struggle to get various unbuttoned coats, sleaves, shirts, scarves and goodness knows what else out of his strings.

As a guitar player, I couldn't be doing with it...but it obviously doesn't worry him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 16:07 by Spud.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:15

Had a great time! The concert and the weather was fantastic!!

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:16

Did see Keith smoking at least once this show (at YT offcourse). I didnt see him smoking at any of the shows earlier this year or in 2012 (RW did, however). I wonder if this was just a coincidence or was he indeed nervous and needed a fag to relax...

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:18

Great pics! may I ask approx. what time were these taken?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:21

Wroclaw
Did see Keith smoking at least once this show (at YT offcourse). I didnt see him smoking at any of the shows earlier this year or in 2012 (RW did, however). I wonder if this was just a coincidence or was he indeed nervous and needed a fag to relax...

Incorrect. I've seen him smoking at almost every show I attended. Philly 2, Newark 2, DC, Brooklyn all from the pit. Wasn't close enough at O2-2 to see.

Date: July 8, 2013 16:22

Wroclaw
Great pics! may I ask approx. what time were these taken?

In the afternoon about 4 pm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 16:28 by steffiestones.

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:36

Dear Rolling Stones, just wanted to say you were right about Miss You & I was wrong. It was the one song the youngsters were still singing as they danced away from the show.
Thank you for a great show and particularly All Down The Line & Bitch but everything really.
Thank you for the kind people who posted such great quality film. I've watched "Gimme Shelter" so far & it's utterly amazing.
Thank you Bjornulf for all your hard work & dedication. This site is brilliant.
I'm still buzzing from Saturday night & wish I could be there again next Saturday but thanks to this lovely site and some kind fans I feel that I will be able to share some of the excitement. Please keep posting.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:44

teleblaster
andrewt
The scarf had been busy writing songs for the new album, the first to include Jagger/Scarf collaborations along with one Jagger/Scarf/Wood b-side.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:37

steffiestones
Had a great time! The concert and the weather was fantastic!!

[i267.photobucket.com]

Just to see her there would have been worth the price of admission, and I would have forgotten to watch the concert.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 17:39 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: July 8, 2013 17:42

teleblaster
andrewt

followed by "scarf of the earth"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:46

laertisflash
"Yes but it needs to be general admission. As soon as you put seats on the pitch it puts off the vast majority of people under 40."

Agree, sjs12. In addition, there are many fans over 40 who don't need seat, at a Stones concert (like me, i am 52). For those who need, OK, there are arenas. Since the Stones are planning to play basicallly arenas, i don't see any reason to avoid adding some big venues, which mean lower prices of course, for younger audiences.

I'm not being ageist by the way! What I'm saying is that high priced seated shows often EXCLUDE the younger audience. This is both in terms of price and the fact that younger audience prefer general admission.

I'm fast approaching 40 myself (I can't believe it) and can't imagine I'll suddenly want to have a seat when I hit the magic age!

As a result, as soon as we see a return to general admission we also see a huge reduction in the age of the concert goer. Just compare Hyds Park to O2 or Twickenham gigs (Twicks being an example of a seated stadium show). The energy at Hyde Park was so much better than Twickenham or O2 or Wembley Arena going right back to Licks. Last time I remember that much energy in a UK stones audience was 1999 Wembley Stadium. And by sheer coincidence that was also GA.

I love stadium shows. The Stones are a stadium band. It's great to see them work an arena and probably a club (i've not had that privalege) but what struck me about Hyde Park was seeing how even with a stripped down stage they could easily work such a large crowd. They are the masters at these big events.

Strangely enough, the impression I get is that they played much better at Glastonbury than they did at Hyde Park. This didn't spoil my enjoyment at all but I can't wait until next saturday because I think they can and will play even better! And if you consider that in light of last weeks Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter, that's going to be one blistering show.

On that subject, the weather forecast for next week is for another weekend of sun and might be even hotter than last week. At least they had free water taps!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 17:50 by sjs12.

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:50

keefriffhard4life
teleblaster
andrewt

Then "You Got Me Knitting" and "All Darn The Line"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2013 18:13

From his hospital bed The Scarf has let it be known that he thinks this unfortunate business has now gone on long enough and a writ of libel will issued in the name of the very next person who takes the p*ss.

Also, the matter is sub judice ...so if we don't shut up about it, we'll all be in trouble !

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 8, 2013 18:15

who wants yesterday's papers

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: July 8, 2013 18:17

Patsy and myself filming at Hyde Park Saturday 6th July 2013

Yes we had a great time got pissed first in the Monkeypuzzle and the Swan (best fish n' chips ever) and then headed to the park about five-ish - it was a fabulous show - personal highlights hard to choose but "all down the line" and "bitch" were outstanding. The crowd were well into it and it was just great fun dancing and singing together. Teleblaster I can't agree with you more, Keef was his usual Lord Richards and Mick was on fire. They all looked like they were having such a great time and we most certainly were too. Met some lovely Irish chaps from Cork, with their Dad, Michael who is a long standing Stones fanatic like myself then also some amazing chaps from Glasgow who we danced and sang the night away with... only rock n' roll...!

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 8, 2013 18:31

RoughJusticeOnYa
Mattty7619

Same here.

That was my hunch from the beginning, thanks for confirming. I had a close look at my 3D video (yes real 3D, feels like being back there - will post it on YT at some point) and it's hard to say for sure when he was playing, but when he turns back you can clearly see the scarf getting untangled. Well at least it will give use something (more) to remember that gig by!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 8, 2013 18:58

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:13

Jaggeresque
keefriffhard4life
teleblaster
andrewt

Then "You Got Me Knitting" and "All Darn The Line"

"Torn And Frayed" at the end, obviously

Posted by: KurtMax ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:22

Hyde Park 2013 videos

[www.youtube.com]

steveatgigs uploaded some exciting footage.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:43

rollingon
bye bye johnny

Getty Images

That picture shows some real feelings IMO maybe their "relationship" is getting to heal and warm up, I really hope so!

Do you hope that they'll kiss?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Jackglfc ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:49

What did everyone think of the Vaccines?

I thought they were good but I've liked them for a while and it seemed like there's was a few people near me who knew them

Date: July 8, 2013 19:52

Jackglfc
What did everyone think of the Vaccines?

I thought they were good but I've liked them for a while and it seemed like there's was a few people near me who knew them

There were good, the first time i saw this band and i like it!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 8, 2013 20:03

Bluesstone
Just came back home after a great weekend in London, and with the great joy of being at the concert with friends who hadn't seen the stones live before ever. What can you say, it was just great!! I really don't care who @#$%& up what bit of what song, it really doesn't matter - it was just an amazing gig! Great crowd, everybody cheerful and happy, and the Stones just rocked, full stopp - so much energy and joy, it was wonderful! 2 hours of singing and dancing and being blown away by the energy of this band - I still can't put it into words. If people who have never been into Rock'n Roll, let alone the Blues and what not, tell you that it's been the best concert of their live - and that happened a LOT last night, it can only be the Stones! Cheers to them and to everyone who had a great time in Hyde Park. Those who are going next weekend - I hope you have a blast! smileys with beer

My thoughts exactly, mate. smiling smiley Wish they'd announced next week's show BEFORE I booked my flight, etc., but oh well, mustn't be greedy. Saturday's show was more than worth the trip!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home