Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 8, 2013 05:27

TonyMo
BowieStone
It wasn't the scarf.
He played the wrong chord (checking it on my guitar now, I have no clue if that can be catogorised as a chord) as someone explained here earlier.

He managed somehow to play B then a C chord rather than the E!
Shit happenssmileys with beer
Indeed. Even a monkey can fall from a tree...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 8, 2013 05:31

THANK YOU and HUGE PROPS to all of the great people who have taken pictures and video of these concerts which allow those who can not attend to at least have a glimpse of the good times. smileys with beer

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 8, 2013 05:59

andrewt
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
It wasn't the scarf.
He played the wrong chord (checking it on my guitar now, I have no clue if that can be catogorised as a chord) as someone explained here earlier.

no we have to pretend a scarf muted a guitar chord. thats one heavy duty scarf

If you look closely you see the scarf go back and to the left. Back. And to the left. That is one magic scarf.

Lol......killing me. Best Andrew ever!

Was there a "second scarf?"

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 8, 2013 06:36

That scarf has been f***ing it up since at least '94-95. Keith typically put on a scarf right before Brown Sugar (which I believe was the last song, pre-encore on that scripted tour), and that thing was always getting in the way. That's when I first noticed it. That's also when I first noticed that he wasn't always playing. The scarf was taking over. Now he wears it all the time. Now the scarf is in charge. The scarf has spread to Mick Taylor and Johnny Depp as well. I won't go there, but you can draw your own conclusions about their respective recent performances.

Date: July 8, 2013 06:54

Scarfs are a necessary on balmy evenings when people are fainting from heat.....maybe next he could rock a shawl or maybe an afgan?

Seriously, in 81', there was no scarf, and he was still Keef Riff hard then....too many accoutrements! Take the scarf of and play, and tell MT we liked him better when he stood still, and played his ass off.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 8, 2013 07:12

Hopefully Keith won't borrow Lenny's scarf.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 8, 2013 07:32

Yes, it did appear that the problem in the opening of SMU was indeed a bit of sartorial interference.

In the various video angles, you can see that just as the song is beginning the wind is blowing the lower part of Keith's scarf right across the pick guard and was interfering with his strumming. He was probably not able to strum all the strings needed for the opening riff. You can see him with his strumming hand briskly brushing the scarf away from that part of his guitar, and then he plays the rest of the song gamely enough, and like a professional musician he doesn't let it get to him, you just pick it up and move on.

Maybe it was the ghost of Brian, having a bit of fun.winking smiley

At any rate, it will be overdubbed for the DVD and the only people who will know will be the ones posting on it here.

Can't wait for the "Hyde Park DVD Opening Overdub on SMU" thread, sometime ahead of the holidays.

Date: July 8, 2013 07:42

jazzbass
Hopefully Keith won't borrow Lenny's scarf.

Now that's a scarf!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 8, 2013 08:53

I think all this talk about SMU and Keith's playing is getting totally out of hand.....yes, the intro was messed up, but the rest of the song was fine. The gig was great - there was lots of energy and lots of great interaction and smiles between band members. it was also great to see the band change the set list around - I think this shows confidence and a willingness to experiment, unlike 90% of acts out there who play exactly the same songs in exactly the same order every single (which, i might add, the Stones also did on most tours up until Voodoo Lounge).

The sound quality at the gig was crystal clear, Mick's singing was fantastic and Keith's plain was brilliant on HTW, Midnight Rambler, All Down the Line, Its only Rock n Roll, Tumbling Dice, just to name a few. Can i also say that I was about halfway back in Tier 3 and I was surrounded by the youngest, most enthusiastic audience I have ever seen at a Stones gig (I have been to 33 gigs since 1995). The average age of the audience around me would have been around 25 (I am 42). THey were all singing, dancing ad going crazy to the Stones - they clearly loved every second of the show.

So, guys, give Keith a break....it was a great, great gig. Stop over-analysing every single note, and just enjoy the fact that on a beautiful summer's evening in the Park the Stones played to you...

Posted by: Jeffer ()
Date: July 8, 2013 08:55

A report from the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Great video!
[tv.aftonbladet.se]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 09:20 by Jeffer.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 8, 2013 09:27

Certainly not during Sympathy !

Wild Slivovitz
I noticed the mistake on Start Me Up, but I also noticed that from later on Keith's performance has been excellent, even the solos were much stronger than in the beginning of the tour.It's been an excellent show.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 8, 2013 09:42

Thrylan
andrewt
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
It wasn't the scarf.

If you look closely you see the scarf go back and to the left. Back. And to the left. That is one magic scarf.

Are you referring to Seinfeld?

Date: July 8, 2013 09:45

Sipuncula
That scarf has been f***ing it up since at least '94-95. Keith typically put on a scarf right before Brown Sugar (which I believe was the last song, pre-encore on that scripted tour), and that thing was always getting in the way. That's when I first noticed it. That's also when I first noticed that he wasn't always playing. The scarf was taking over. Now he wears it all the time. Now the scarf is in charge. The scarf has spread to Mick Taylor and Johnny Depp as well. I won't go there, but you can draw your own conclusions about their respective recent performances.

He really shouldn't wear that scarf during the concerts, absolutely crazy...

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 8, 2013 09:46

All down the line

MR

YOU CAN'T + SATISFACTION

Gotdablouse camera is SONY HX 20 V

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: July 8, 2013 09:52

BowieStone
It wasn't the scarf.

Maybe the scarf caused him to lose his concentration and he played the wrong chord because of that or something...

Date: July 8, 2013 09:53

gotdablouse
toomuchforme

Wonderful picture, in fact I'll take the liberty of quoting it ;-) What's your camera again?

Very strong but natural looking make up cream on both of their faces.

Date: July 8, 2013 10:04

Rokyfan
Aquamarine
Yup, I'm not only that tolerant but I WANT them to be loose and spontaneous!

Seb91
To be honest I didn't even notice the mistake at the beginning of SMU as the roar of the crowd was so loud. I think people are making mountains out of molehills in regards to any mistakes by Keith. Its the risk you take by seeing a live performance be it a rock concert, a play etc. I'd rather have a fun, interesting show with a few mistakes than a note perfect recital. I don't go to live shows to hear note perfect renditions. I went to a Dream Theater show once, absolutely flawless playing but boring as hell to watch. I'd take Keith over John Petrucci any day. Plus, when you're actually at the show its a completely different feeling from dissecting it on the net.

Yup yup yup!

What do any of these comments have to do with the fact the keith simply doesn't play much anymore. He starts riffs and doesn't finish them. A large part of the music is the band covering the holes. It has nothing to do with note perfect or any such bullshit. Sure if you're they're it's exciting. They do a good job of covering. It's not exciting live rock and roll vs. note perfect renditions. It's an old guy that can't play much anymore. Moments of greatness still, but in between those moments he's is losing it to age, etc.

He has a more minimalistic style nowadays, he has no energy left to carry the whole band on his shoulders anymore and that's all right. He can still play good riffs an fills at times but he takes it easy nowadays. He has been working so hard since 1963 so he doesn't have to be super energetic anymore, I accept that, he is a human being (Jagger must be alien), the most important thing is that the band as a whole is working still well. And Keith is a living rock'n roll legend who is still performing actively, there are not many left...

Date: July 8, 2013 10:17

Powerage

Wild Slivovitz
I noticed the mistake on Start Me Up, but I also noticed that from later on Keith's performance has been excellent, even the solos were much stronger than in the beginning of the tour.It's been an excellent show.

Was Sympathy really that bad, Keith didn't maybe finish his solos correctly and maybe a couple of careless notes in them but as a whole Keith's playing wasn't so bad, I have only listened to the performance once so maybe I'm wrong but based on that one time it wasn't so bad imo.

Date: July 8, 2013 10:31

rollingon
Thrylan
andrewt
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
It wasn't the scarf.

Are you referring to Seinfeld?

thats what i was thinking too

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 10:34

The botched riff is not the scarf, a scarf or a piece of jacket on the string MUTE the sound, it doesn't produce another chord... Keith played the first chord ok then sort of barred several string instead of just one.

Posted by: Vertigo05 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 10:40

Ok, i heard better versions of Sympathy but don't forget... It was a once in a lifetime event to see the Stones @ Hyde Park! I'm very thankful to be there... Best weather, great music @ You Got Me Rocking was NOT on the Setlist! Thankful you Stones! And to everyone @ Hyde Park on July 13th... ENJOY IT! smiling smiley

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 8, 2013 11:23

Mick Taylor is really great on MR. smiling smiley

Date: July 8, 2013 11:31

Vertigo05
Ok, i heard better versions of Sympathy but don't forget... It was a once in a lifetime event to see the Stones @ Hyde Park! I'm very thankful to be there... Best weather, great music @ You Got Me Rocking was NOT on the Setlist! Thankful you Stones! And to everyone @ Hyde Park on July 13th... ENJOY IT! smiling smiley

The most important thing in any Stones concert: YGMR is not on the setlist!

Then anyone can honestly say afterwards to the band (in their minds):
You Got Me Rocking! cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 11:32 by rollingon.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2013 11:45

The Scarf was interviewed on local radio after the show and apologised for any inconvenience which it may have caused.

It has not hitherto been accustomed to appearing in front of such large audiences and, on this occasion, got a little over enthusiastic.

[The circumstances weren't helped when The Scarf was almost late for show, It was delayed in laundry having some shepherds pie stains removed .]

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:00

CaledonianGonzo
Michael Hann obviously didn't hear the enormous pie that Keith made of the opening riff of Start Me Up:

[www.guardian.co.uk]

I don't think most people could hear the mistake. It was the first chord and where I was everyone was jumping up and down and cheering at the top of their voices, so a wrong chord lasting for 1 second or whatever went completely unoticed to the vast majority of the audience, all of whom were having an absolutely amazing time by the way.

In defence of Keith, I've done exactly the same thing at a gig before. I remember plaing an intro in G to what should have been in A and then looking around the rest of the band and thinking WTF, why are they all playing in the wrong key! I then realised it was me and quickly adjusted. We all had a laugh about it afterwards and I had to take a few good humoured jibes afterwards!

Yes, I get it. Keith hit a wrong note. Get over it quickly, like everyone at the gig did if they even noticed it.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:02

rollingon
Powerage

Wild Slivovitz

Was Sympathy really that bad, Keith didn't maybe finish his solos correctly and maybe a couple of careless notes in them but as a whole Keith's playing wasn't so bad, I have only listened to the performance once so maybe I'm wrong but based on that one time it wasn't so bad imo.

Actually to be fair Sympathy was much better than in the first American concerts of the tour. Yes, I also spotted one bum note in the first solo, but Keith managed to work around that. And the secondo solo was great, whereas in the first concerts of the american leg has consistently been a trainwrek. I liked the rendition in Hyde Park a lot, it could indeed be better (mainly for the arrangement's fault) but it could be much worse either.

EDIT: just listened again to the clip. Well, let's say that when you're in the audience you get past a lot of mistakes that make you cringe while watching a clip on the internet. That being said, I still confirm what I've written above smiling smiley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 12:14 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:02

I must admit i didn't hear it too.

At this moments, all i could see where arms up in the air with a phone, and all i could hear was people screaming, it's not at all like watching a DVD where you hear distinctively the opening riff.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:08

john lomax wrtote:

(A) "I think all this talk about SMU and Keith's playing is getting totally out of hand.....yes, the intro was messed up, but the rest of the song was fine. The gig was great - there was lots of energy and lots of great interaction and smiles between band members (...) The sound quality at the gig was crystal clear, Mick's singing was fantastic and Keith's plain was brilliant on HTW, Midnight Rambler, All Down the Line, Its only Rock n Roll, Tumbling Dice, just to name a few."

I would name also Gimme Shelter, John. I wathched the clips once again and my opinion has been comfirmed. It got stronger: Yes, Keith was fine. It's incredible how a messed up intro can activate so much musical, medical or phsychological "analysis" (whether it's scarf's "mistake" or not) and so much underestimate as for Keith's overall performance and contribution to the gig.

The Stones are getting older, but they still play well, with lots if energy. Some fans are getting not only older, but also older farts. Nothing wrong with criticism itself, i mean it. I' m just saying that some people are bringing all this "drama" and "eschatology" here, while the occasion is mistakes (botched intros) like those which happened in 2003, 1994-94 or 1981-82. Are now many fans demanding perfection, as they didn't in the past years? I don't think so. Simply, the farts are older now...

(cool smiley "...The average age of the audience around me would have been around 25 (I am 42). THey were all singing, dancing ad going crazy to the Stones - they clearly loved every second of the show"

That's what happens when the Stones are playing in big venues! Come on guys, don't play only arenas in Europe... Add up some big venues. The atmosphere will be really enthousiastic.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()

jazzbass
muppetmark
jabhead
Silver Dagger
A few shots from me. I didn't really get close enough for good shots but these might give those who didn't go an idea of the perspective.

The second, third photo really capture what annoys me so much about concerts these days. Put your damn phones away and watch the concert in HD 3D right before you. Look how many people have their smart phones out! a pic or two ok, but why watch the whole show through a 3 inch square? If you want to watch it that way just go to youtube the next day and you can see 50 different versions!

I applaud artists who strictly enforce the no smart phone rule. It's so freaking rude
I took out my phone, as did most of my area, every time Mick had done a costume change, there was an amazing one off moment or Mick had decided to walk past us down the walkway. I find that if you are close to the barrier and just taking the odd photo it is fine. No-one i could see had their phone or camera up for the whole thing, the most anyone did was record half a song which is fair enough. Quite a lot around us were first timers (like me) so having a few personalized photos enhances the recollection. The fact that someone thought it was a good idea to take a photo at that time, might mean loads of others think its a good time and thats why you see many phones (i noticed the top of my phone in one of the pics), but i can assure you they werent out for very long at a time.

You don't get it. You don't have to watch the show through your camera. Just hold it above your head and watch the show wit your eyes. I'm glad I captured a few select moments from the shows I attended. I wish I had videos of all the concerts I've attended over the years. This is one of the best technology advancements in the last 10 years IMO and props to the artists who aren't insecure and allow it.

I do not use a phone for filming, but I use a digi-cam (Sony CyberShot). And I do not watch the whole show or parts of it through my camera. Because my camera is beside me or over my head, while I'm filming. HAVING THE WHOLE SHOW FROM YOUR OWN VIEW ON VIDEO, THAT'S THE BEST MEMORY WHAT YOU CAN HAVE FROM ANY CONCERT SHOW!! I've videos with good sound quality from over 100 concerts and I'm really happy with that great stuff. hot smiley hot smiley thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up hot smiley hot smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()

It was a great show. As has already been stated, there were a huge amount of young people in the audience and this was their first Stones gig. I lost count of the number of times I heard people remarking that this was the best show they had ever experienced. It was a great crowd and a fantastic atmosphere throughout the day. The sound was crystal clear and the band on cracking form. I can't believe the setlist whiners criticising from afar. The setlist was wholly appropriate to the occasion. This was not a crowd of connoisseurs, it probably had more first-timers than any other UK show I've ever seen and they had a ball!

So Keith fluffed a couple of notes? Big deal. Don't think I've ever seen a show in which he he hasn't in nearly forty years of seeing them live. The truth is that he's playing much better than he did on the last tour. He's much more focused, locking in with Charlie rather than mugging at the crowd. And with a sober Ronnie too!

Great to see Mick Taylor on Rambler. Am I The only one on this board who's glad he doesn't play on everything? It would just be too messy; the Stones have always been a two guitar band. You can't simply add a third electric no matter who it might be. You can add an acoustic to most tracks like they do in the studio and like Blondie did on previous tours and it works with Taylor on Satisfaction, although this, too, has attracted moaners.

Anyway, I had a ball. Being a Scot, I found the heat a problem and didn't risk alcohol until after the gig and it was fun to see them completely sober! A fantastic show and hi to all the fans - old and new - that I met on Saturday and a special thanks to Belld for arranging tix, train, hotel and whisky. Ya Ya Ya.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home