Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031Next
Current Page: 28 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:15

marianna
Keith Richards is asking people $600 a ticket to watch him play and he messes up intros all the time, and has for years on end. Professionals shouldn't do things like that so often, and you can hear that he messed up that intro to "Start Me Up" whether you ever picked up a guitar yourself or not. Just listen to the record or other live performances where he didn't mess it up like that. He's not consistent, and intros are glaring. Not all bands' songs have such distinct intros, but songs such as "Start Me Up" and "Brown Sugar" do. Keith created those intros, and it's not like he's improvising some alternate version that sounds good.

So, thumbs up or down on KR at Hyde park?

Re: great gig - terrible keith
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:24

latebloomer
marianna
If he gets as much love for playing the way he does now, maybe more love than when he played better when he was younger, he has no incentive to either try harder or give up his playing time to Ron.

So, we are all Keith enablers. There has been so much pschyobabble on this thread and others, coupled with scarf-gate, and a certain amount of ageism, as in he should just hang it up cause he's old, arthritic, borderline senile...you name it. It's making my head spin. Keith plays what he wants to play because it's his prerogative to do so and because he obviously enjoys it. We should just enjoy it too.

Well said, latebloomer! There are some truly crackpot theories peddled around here at times and over-analysis of anything in life does tend to dampen enjoyment.

Must say that I loved the reintroduction of the catwalk. They put it to really good use - a lot more than in the past, it seemed to me.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:40

KR plays better and has come up with better riffs than 99% of other guitarists, and 100% of the knowalls in this thread. I hope he ignores them as he has all the idiots he's encountered in his long (but not THAT long) and productive life.

Posted by: Barnestormer ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:45

Thrylan
keefriff99
schillid
Did Keith REALLY begin Start Me Up on the WRONG FRET??
That was brutal to listen to...not a good way to kick off a big show. Ugh.

Both of you! Give up your fan cards....there will be NO critical thinking around here......and you called yourselves fans......

Best show ever...

...said who???

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:46

Aquamarine
KR plays better and has come up with better riffs than 99% of other guitarists, and 100% of the knowalls in this thread. I hope he ignores them as he has all the idiots he's encountered in his long (but not THAT long) and productive life.

But wait someone read somewhere that he "doesn't know scales" :-) :-)

Well said.

Date: July 9, 2013 12:27

To all the arm chair critics:

Yes, Keith had some problems. But he also played some really great stuff on IORR, Bitch, Beast Of Burden and others, especially the open G-songs.

Marianna, if you can't hear that it is Keith who's doing the spanish licks on RAAHP, or don't know his love for that kind of playing, you really have a lot to learn. And I suggest you do so before you're sitting down in front of your pc and write BS like this. Geez..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 9, 2013 12:45

Naah, Keith was into that screening of 1969 Hyde Park audience (a cool effect, by the way!), got into mood, and thought "jeez, this is how we played back then, out of tune..."

Way to go, Keith!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 9, 2013 12:47

Can't wait for me July 13 show. Still didn't get my tix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 12:52 by proudmary.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 9, 2013 12:50

TeddyB1018
Are Marianna and Proud Mary different logins for the same poster? Just asking.

slightly sexist remark - there are women's names and both're criticizing Richards (for different reasons, but it's nothing), therefore it's the same person. revealing that you do not confuse MunichHilton,Trylan, TGRNRBITW, Stones Tod, sonoma, sietan and others who all sound exactly as one person - sorry, guys

I can assure you that I am using only one name on this forum.Just saying

Date: July 9, 2013 13:09

StonesTod and TGRARBITW WAS the same person smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:29

belld
Atmosphere, build up, anticipation. Just a thought.
The Vaccines got the audience attention and got some reaction. The gap before the Stones came on was quiet and muted. Sound system very low and I cannot remember any tracks never mind good sounds. A missed opportunity to crowd please and build up the anticipation and atmosphere. I have many memories of the opposite at previous outdoor gigs with feel good all around. Did I miss something?

Good point, on the other hand having had to make a 30 minute loo run (courtesy of the East toilets being "closed") with about 15 minutes of the Vaccines left from the front of T1 to the friggin' back of the stage in what was originally known as the T1/T2 garden, I'm happy there wasn't more tension in the crowd as it was already very hard to hack your way through!

The Vaccines were decent but frankly the opening bands were pretty disappointing, even Gary Clark Jr, as they all seemed happy to play their stuff standing on the stage. No catwalk to play with of course but you'd still know how to use it. BST tried to sell this as a "festival" but it was just The Stones plus some opening bands, at least on the 6th. Having said that they were pretty enjoyable as the time went by rather quickly for me from 3.30 to 8.30.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 9, 2013 13:29

DandelionPowderman

Marianna, if you can't hear that it is Keith who's doing the spanish licks on RAAHP, or don't know his love for that kind of playing, you really have a lot to learn. And I suggest you do so before you're sitting down in front of your pc and write BS like this. Geez..

The solo in "Almost Hear You Sigh" from "Steel Wheels" might be a good starting point (sorry for the unsolicited piece of advice).

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:25

stonesmog
Dear Rolling Stones, just wanted to say you were right about Miss You & I was wrong. It was the one song the youngsters were still singing as they danced away from the show.
Thank you for a great show and particularly All Down The Line & Bitch but everything really.
Thank you for the kind people who posted such great quality film. I've watched "Gimme Shelter" so far & it's utterly amazing.
Thank you Bjornulf for all your hard work & dedication. This site is brilliant.
I'm still buzzing from Saturday night & wish I could be there again next Saturday but thanks to this lovely site and some kind fans I feel that I will be able to share some of the excitement. Please keep posting.

[www.youtube.com]

The person who took this GS clip should be nominated for an EMI award to my humble opinion. His location, quality of the film&sound and the generally low sound of this show that allowed us to actually hear the crowd singing, make you feel as if you are actually in the show. Would have been great if such recordings would have been remastered (and purchased from the person who took them ha ha) and used for the DVD show. Really liked the crowd joining the intro back voices immediately after the start as well as the flip of that guy at 00:44 who started singing too early (which MJ actually did too in several 70s show I heard...).

SO - thumbs up. and oh... its people like you that save me the bother of doing the time consuming filming with my own crappy cellphone so I can be focused in the actual show... (this Saturday in this case). Fair deal for all, ha-ha.

Cheers.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: July 9, 2013 14:44

Max'sKansasCity
Carnaby
If that's the way Keith plays it, that's the way the song goes.
thumbs up
Yes! (Confessions of a tech dummy. How do you get the thumbs up emoticon? Plus the lovely Keith one?)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:22

Maindefender
This is quite pathetic. Keith had an off night for one reason or another. Maybe he was dosed, who knows.

His body of work since November has been consistently very good. I hope he quiets everyone on the 13th.

A couple of bum notes at the start of the opening song is hardly an 'off night'.

he was almost Segovia-like compared to some of the playing in 2006-07.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:35

KatieGirl
Max'sKansasCity
Carnaby
thumbs up
Yes! (Confessions of a tech dummy. How do you get the thumbs up emoticon? Plus the lovely Keith one?)

See the smiley face in the upper right corner of the message typing box? Click on it and it will (it should) open up a bunch of funny smiley faces including the thumbs upthumbs up or you can type in ( t u ) but with no spaces in between the lettrs.

As far as the Keith one, someone custom made that one. To use the Keith smiley face copy/paste this line [I M G]http://i.imgur.com/RSOh1Ky.jpg[/I M G] except remove the spaces ( s p a c e s between letters) which I had to add to IMG > I M G, other wise it posts the Keith smiley face.

cool smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 16:57 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 15:39

Had a blast in Hyde Park! >grinning smiley< Due to the heat, we did not arrive in Tier 3 before 7pm. Just barely saw the stage, but the screens made up for it and we had plenty of space and could move freely. No claustrophobia. smiling smiley Excellent crowd! The two guys behind us were seeing their very first Stones show and we talked about favourite songs, what they would like to hear etc. Nice chat! I assume one of them went to the HMV sale ("2 for 10") later on, all the Stones albums there (I told him).

Youngest crowd I have seen during my (now) 14 shows, very high sing-along factor and we all had a wonderful time! Keith really messed up the intro of SMU, but we forgot that at once and I don´t think everyone heard it either. IMO Keith was a bit anonymous on Saturday, Ronnie more in the picture soundwise. But that could only be my ears. Mick was in top form! Charlie is always good. Anyhow, people sang along and loved it.

I really enjoyed All down the line and Bitch, among my favourites. Especially Paint it black shook things up among the crowd, that was when the real fun started. A perfect version! I absolutely loved hearing Beast of Burden! Never heard that live before. smiling smiley Mick Taylor on MR was fabulous, good to see him! Lisa on Gimme shelter.... You got the silver was sweeeeeet! Miss you and Sympathy were real crowd pleasers and people were going "Whooohooo" long after the show had ended. The choir on YCAGWYW was good, I sing in a choir myself and liked that a lot. Everyone went completely bonkers during Satisfaction (but Mick T only on acoustic?!) and fireworks and confetti were popular ingredients in the end of the show.

The sound was crystal clear and perfectly mixed! Could perhaps have been slightly louder, but not necessarily. Mick Jagger sporting a white outfit during half a song, that was a nice touch re: 1969. They did not mention Brian though, which was too bad. But it was mentioned that Mick T had his very first show here then.

I would have wished for Love in vain with Mick T, but it seemed like a real rock&roll show without slower songs/ballads (except Silver, which isn´t really one?). Hyde Park was a real experience for us and we LOVED IT!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Date: July 9, 2013 15:47

LQ1977
Had a blast in Hyde Park! ..~~.. Hyde Park was a real experience for us and we LOVED IT!

AWESOME!!! I do enjoy reading the first hand tales of the day. Thanks LQ1977

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:24

Scarf or DVD purpose ? Eagle rock has blocked my SMU vid

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:56

Gazza
Maindefender
This is quite pathetic. Keith had an off night for one reason or another. Maybe he was dosed, who knows.

His body of work since November has been consistently very good. I hope he quiets everyone on the 13th.

A couple of bum notes at the start of the opening song is hardly an 'off night'.

Spot on, Gazza!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2013 17:02

Wild Slivovitz
Gazza
Maindefender

Spot on, Gazza!

Spot on indeed !

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 9, 2013 17:04

toomuchforme
Scarf or DVD purpose ? Eagle rock has blocked my SMU vid

They also brought down the GS version that is quoted way back in this thread... pissers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 17:06 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: samunknown ()
Date: July 9, 2013 17:21

I completely missed some information, was at a festival for 4 days...
So what side of the stage can tier 3 get front row/barrier at the stage?
I'm planning on queuing early to get the front.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 9, 2013 18:07

I'll throw in my two pence as a Bostonian who had the good luck to spend a few nights in London this past week. Hyde Park was my 29th Stones show, and I was really looking forward to it. Have to say though, it was a let down. I'll sound like a spoiled fan, but after gettting upgraded to the Pit in Boston 2, and spending that night trying to get a high 5 from Keith on the ramp, or a guitar pick from Ronnie - to go from that unreal experience, to being so far away and watching on the screens...well, I guess I obviously didn't have my expectations quite in order. The other thing was, I just thought they were not nearly loud enough! The sing along crowd was lounder than the band. I got somewhat close to the side (I had gotten there late - and spent a good 1/2 hour fighting my way to get a T-Shirt), but I eventually moved toward around the middle to try and get some room, and to get away from people chatting over the music (as others have noted). The size of this thing was just massive. They say 65,000, but it seemed more like 100K. Huge crowd. And the crowd was into it - having fun, singing and dancing. I won't say I didn't have fun - I did. But I just never was able to get the 'lift off' I get at a great Stones show. They blew me away at both Boston shows, and 12/15/12 in NJ.
Hyde Park highlights? Sympathy was epic, and Rambler was great - but no real set list surprises, Gary Clark Jr AGAIN, and down to 19 songs - I hate to say, I put it near the bottom of my almost 30 RS shows. That all said, I had a brilliant trip to London!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 18:17 by DEmerson.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: July 9, 2013 18:14

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 18:38

proudmary
TeddyB1018
Are Marianna and Proud Mary different logins for the same poster? Just asking.

slightly sexist remark - there are women's names and both're criticizing Richards (for different reasons, but it's nothing), therefore it's the same person. revealing that you do not confuse MunichHilton,Trylan, TGRNRBITW, Stones Tod, sonoma, sietan and others who all sound exactly as one person - sorry, guys

I can assure you that I am using only one name on this forum.Just saying

I'm going to consider it a compliment, my stuff sucks compared to StonesTod........smiling smiley

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: July 9, 2013 18:41

Max'sKansasCity
KatieGirl
Max'sKansasCity
Carnaby
thumbs up

See the smiley face in the upper right corner of the message typing box? Click on it and it will (it should) open up a bunch of funny smiley faces including the thumbs upthumbs up or you can type in ( t u ) but with no spaces in between the lettrs.

As far as the Keith one, someone custom made that one. To use the Keith smiley face copy/paste this line [I M G]http://oi44.tinypic.com/2vdp2xi.jpg[/I M G] except remove the spaces ( s p a c e s between letters) which I had to add to IMG > I M G, other wise it posts the Keith smiley face. Thanks Max! Have to wait for my son to get home to do the Keith one. He'll roll his eyes like I'm an idiot, but that's how it goes. I'm just learning how to use my smart phone. thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

cool smiley

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: July 9, 2013 18:41

Just got back home after the weekend in London. The gig was fantastic and reading some of the compaints on here I wonder if I was at the same show! Great weather, great setting,great support bands,ok Keith buggered up the start but more than made up for it later. I was there with my teenage daughters and they were in no way Stones fans but even they (grudgingly) admitted it was a great show. Best quote was from my 14 year old daughter. She asked "Dad, whats the drummers name ?" when I told her, she thought for a while then replied "He is coooool!" It did cost me though I had to buy then 2 Stones tee-shirts on the way out.

Date: July 9, 2013 19:28

KatieGirl
[qute=Max'sKansasCity] Thanks Max! Have to wait for my son to get home to do the Keith one. He'll roll his eyes like I'm an idiot, but that's how it goes. I'm just learning how to use my smart phone. thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

cool smiley

My pleasure to help out Katie smileys with beer we all didnt know everything/anything at one point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 16:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: July 9, 2013 20:49

We had a great time singin' and dancing with the boys from Glasgow - Scott, Dave, Davie & Jeff.. ha it was just brilliant...!

Gimmie shelter at Hyde Park 6th July 13

Star

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031Next
Current Page: 28 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home