Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 7, 2013 19:55

andrewt
jazzbass
keefriff99
Keith completely botched the intro to Start Me Up...I mean, just MURDERED it.

What an atrocity.

You know, the fanboys keep saying how well they're playing, and when the tour first started last year, I agreed and was completely thrilled.

But lately, the excitement has worn off and I just don't hear it. At all.

Ronnie is doing pretty well, but Keith is still struggling. Not as badly as ABB, thank god, but it's still pretty dire at times. The basic timing is just off on a lot of songs, even the standards...it's really hard to listen to.

I just don't get this. Not sure how it can possibly happen? He did the same thing at a Philly show in '97 I attended playing Brown Sugar. I love Keith, but seriously, he could screw up any other note during the show, as long as he nails

the big intro. Can't wait to see how they fix this if there is a DVD.

Here's what I've noticed with KR: Nowadays, he plays along to the song instead of playing the song. In other words, he comes off okay at times with his tendency to add rhythmic accents with a chord here, a strum there, but he can't seem to hold a pattern down from the start to finish of a song. Which is why Chuck needs to hold the rhythm chords down so often. With these little accents, mini-riffs, and fills it's a little harder to figure what he meant to play in the first place. When called upon to play a readily identifiable series of notes and chords (like the intros to SMU, BS, GS, IORR etc ) he often comes up lacking.

Yep. I've noticed how he kind of struggles to keep rhythm and time in the intro of YCAGWYW as well before the full band comes in. Maybe that's why Mick's on the acoustic this tour for the openng verse.

On the other hand, on the the evidence of the Youtube vids, he nailed Street Fighting Man both times from start to finish.

Date: July 7, 2013 20:18

An interesting assortment of food on offer in Hyde Park including the fish and chip stall......

Notice the inclusion of a 'Deep Fried Mars Bar'!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 7, 2013 20:28

My best Mick shot

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: muppetmark ()
Date: July 7, 2013 20:37

Manofwealthandtaste
An interesting assortment of food on offer in Hyde Park including the fish and chip stall......

Notice the inclusion of a 'Deep Fried Mars Bar'!
I got my scampi and chips for 6.50 :L it was really good though.
Ah deep fried mars bars, being half scottish that would have been great if i had spottted it.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 7, 2013 20:43

SFTD... drinking smiley Mick seems to cut short trying Keith solo...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 7, 2013 20:50

They also put his guitar lower in the mix after he (attempts to) play(s) the opening riffs. After that he just counts on Chuck and even Darryl to fill in the gaps.
Very obvious on songs like JJF & BS.

I believe the man is empty.
I thought he was pretty good at the O2 concerts & Glastonbury though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 20:52 by BowieStone.

Date: July 7, 2013 20:53

Chuck playing guitars parts (Keith or Ronnie ones), a reality since... ouch, so many years...

Stu never played Taylor guitars parts...

Yes, Keith was good at Glastonbury though, and perhaps the most important, still have fun on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 20:55 by Powerage.

Date: July 7, 2013 21:11

Powerage

Yes, Keith was good at Glastonbury though, and perhaps the most important, still have fun on stage.

Yes, that's great for him.
For us; it's just sometimes too painful to hear.

The difference with Mick Jagger is immense. That man is still the ultimate frontman.
As always, he was awesome last night.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 21:22

Powerage
SFTD... drinking smiley Mick seems to cut short trying Keith solo...

[www.youtube.com]
Yep, I noticed...Mick definitely seemed to be saying, "Okay, enough of THAT...C'MON!"

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 7, 2013 21:24

If that's the way Keith plays it, that's the way the song goes.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 7, 2013 21:50

The Top 10 reasons Keith hit some bum notes on SMU at Hyde Park:

10. per Carnaby : If that's the way Keith plays it, that's the way the song goes. (Yup)

9. His tech missed the tuning check up. (Doubtful)

8. Distracted by his and Mick's kids running around (Possible)

7. Sabotage by Mick Taylor to get an opportunity to play more songs (not likely)

6. per Powerage: an opportunity to have Chuck play over his part (???)

5. per DoomandGloom: Keith playing in daylight???? What can you expect... (Probable Cause #2)

4. Wrong guitar (Doubtful)

3. per Mick : "Keith, of course, is completely straight" (Probable cause #1)

2. I just wanted to make sure Mick got the show off on the right foot, as he's clearly better when he's mad at me.

and the #1 reason is...

1. "He IS Human" and "He's Frigging almost Seventy years old in human years, or 135 years old in post survivor Junkie years", holy shite!

I saw four shows in the last 6 weeks, and three from the pit. I heard a bum note hear and there, but for the most part his playing was good, and I enjoyed every show more than the last.

I've seen almost sixty shows since the 70s and was impressed how well they sound as they grow older.

Charlie is an unusually talented musician, a pro's pro, and he seems to have barely missed a step.

Mick is like Jack LaLanne pulling 70 boats with his teeth at age 70.

Mick Taylor should focus on playing guitar and not clowning around and moving. He seems to have also straightened his act up and hopefully this was like a test from MJ to see if he can be back in for the long haul, and on more songs. He is a definite insurance policy for MJ, but his little on stage antics could cause a rift with MJ as he wants to clearly be in charge on stage.

Ronnie is straight and his playing is more stable as a result, but the damage has clearly been done and it shows in how he plays, IMO. Time and sobriety may continue to help here as at times he sounded great...

Keith is straight and his playing is different, more conservative, and unlike Ronnie, Keith's musicianship under the influences is sometimes what created the magic, in my opinion. It must be tough to play for years in one mental state and then have to learn to play somewhat or completely sober, and I think that, more than anything, is what causes the few mistakes I have seen him make recently, but again, who cares, why criticize?

The fact we can still see these guys live and have them sound this good at this age is amazing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 22:02 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Date: July 7, 2013 21:51

1. "He IS Human" and "He's Frigging almost Seventy years old in human years, or 135 years old in post survivor Junkie years", holy shite!

YES. smileys with beer

Posted by: jofowles ()
Date: July 7, 2013 21:52

Similar thing happened at the O2 in 2007. Keith was doing his SFD solo, Mick went over to him and made a circling motion with his finger, as if to say "wrap it up". Keith just shook his head and carried on playing! Mick jigged his way across the stage and carried on dancing.

Date: July 7, 2013 21:57

He stopped playing yesterday.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 7, 2013 21:57

Being back in London must have been too "distracting" for Keith... As proud as I was last week, I'm just as flattened by Start Me Up.. They are not as good as they were last week...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 22:01 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:04

When was the last time Keith opened the show in a non air conditioned, outside environment, in the daylight?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:08

Carnaby

Nuff said.

Date: July 7, 2013 22:09

It doesn't matter if you're 18 or 70.
If you're on stage you've got to deliver. People paid money to see you.
There won't be any excuses for me if I'm 70 and advising people to buy terrible funds.

If you know you can't do it anymore... Well, you can only do one thing. But that's up to him. As long he thinks he can still do it, I'll go and watch him.

He can still give a decent performance, but it's becoming a rarity I'm afraid.

I think the biggest problem is that he's just so damn lazy and still floats on the thought 'I'm Keith Richards'.

With the excuse that he's 70; it sounds like a freak show.
Look boy, this man is 70 and plays guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 22:10 by BowieStone.

Posted by: CalGonz ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:09

Funniest moment: when Mick asked the crowd if anyone was there in 1969 and Keith did jazz hands to say "Meeeeeeeeee".

A fun show but kind of quiet and a definite step backwards after the almighty arse-kicking administered by their Glastonbury set.

Though on the fringes of the crowd their were - practically - mosh pits going on for Miss You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 22:10 by CalGonz.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:24

desertblues68
Really enjoyed the concert the atmosphere was electric and a great performance is made not only by.the artist but also by.the response of the audience. I know there were a few mistakes and the setlist was crowd pleasing albeit with a dusting of rarities. I believe in freedom of expression, but what I don't get is how some fans who can obviously play the guitar professionally or otherwise dissect Keef's playing to infinitty and beyond. We all know that Keef is no longer at the height of his powers but he is performing better than during the ABB tour. He has contributed to that ramshackle rawness that is part of the Stones greatness He is one of the greatest guitarists ever. All the greatest artists in whatever field are technically imperfect but show raw emotion and vulnerability.

thumbs upthumbs up

So much for the fuill review I intended to post but maybe later. It's not as if I've anything much to add and I'm enjoying going through the YT clips too much to spend time writing at the moment. Yes, it took them a few songs to really get into their stride but certainly by Bitch they were really motoring and Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter were epic. Overall Keith played fine I thought. Not like 40 years ago but fine for 2013 Keith at nearly 70 years old. Last night wasn't the best Stones show I ever saw but it was hugely enjoyable and leaves me yearning to see them again as ever. But no ticket for next week and I'm going on holiday so it's not going to be. I wonder if I'll ever see them again but Hyde Park 2013 will be a sweet memory.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:24

A few shots from me. I didn't really get close enough for good shots but these might give those who didn't go an idea of the perspective.

Here's one of Manofwealthandtaste. Thanks for the pint Chris.

And this is the inimitable Ulrich Schroder - German Stones super fan.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:30

Silver Dagger
A few shots from me. I didn't really get close enough for good shots but these might give those who didn't go an idea of the perspective.

Thanks for sharing, it does give persepctivethumbs up

Date: July 7, 2013 22:32

Thanks Silver Dagger cool smiley

Date: July 7, 2013 22:32

My best Ronnie and Keith shots

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:35

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:37

johnnythunders
Hi Silver Dagger
I was the DJ at the Scala when the Groovies played on Tuesday, plus I interviewed them for a feature you can find at onlyrockanroll.wordpress.com where you can also find a list of the records I played (hope you appreciated the inclusion of 2000 Light Years From Home!)

Great selection of songs you played the other night. If you go to Chris Wilson FB page you'll see some of my pics. He's been one of my best mates for 30 years now. Currently in SF and LA before coming home to Kentish Town.

Date: July 7, 2013 22:41

Closer baby

Date: July 7, 2013 22:48

the shoes

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:49

More great pics, thanks!

I've just started tuning out when people start whingeing about how good Keith wasn't.

Yes he was. Live with it. That incredible riff was played right in front of my eyes. And as I've mentioned before, a perfect band is a boring band. Let us know who these bands are that y'all listen to who never make a mistake, so that I can avoid them and the colossal snooze they must be.

Posted by: DollyDagger ()
Date: July 7, 2013 22:50

How much were the beers at Hyde Park?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home