Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:17 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:44

His Majesty
MKjan
As I said, I am a Hendrix fan.

One that needs to re-listen it seems.

Hendrix is in my top 5 of all time.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:45

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
MKjan
I am a Hendrix fan for sure,saw him perform twice and own all his releases, but this Berry cover is on par with various bar bands I've heard thru the years, and Taylor's soaring solo's...they soar way above this.

Erm, no, just no.

It's not even his fifth best cover smiling smiley

I know, he was an amazing chap no? Even on "not even his fifth best cover" the guitar playing is way better than anything Taylor ever played.

You think so smiling smiley

I like Jimi's more mellow side the most.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:46

His Majesty
MKjan

Hendrix could play with his guitar upside down and with his teeth better than Taylor plays

Date: June 2, 2013 22:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:18 by His Majesty.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:49

His Majesty
MKjan
His Majesty
MKjan

Hendrix is in my top 5 of all time.

Who is above him in that list of yours!

Umm... Thinking Hendrix is in the top 5 doesn't qualify as being a Hendrix fan. The average joe on the street puts Hendrix in the top 5. It's kind of like calling yourself a Lincoln fan because you think he was a good president.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 22:50 by sonomastone.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:51

But how does Hendrix compare to Ron Wood and Keith Richards? That's more apropos. Of course, for some Stones fans, Keith can do no wrong. He's not simplistic or bad, he's "minimalist." I can't really put down Ron because it seems he's constrained by playing in the Stones, too. Ron was and is a better guitar player with the Faces with the Stones.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:18 by His Majesty.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:56

I'm not a Hendrix fan, but I have a weak spot for Zappa as a guitarist.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:19 by His Majesty.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:59

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
MKjan
I am a Hendrix fan for sure,saw him perform twice and own all his releases, but this Berry cover is on par with various bar bands I've heard thru the years, and Taylor's soaring solo's...they soar way above this.

Erm, no, just no.

It's not even his fifth best cover smiling smiley

I know, he was an amazing chap no? Even on "not even his fifth best cover" the guitar playing is way better than anything Taylor ever played.

You think so smiling smiley

I like Jimi's more mellow side the most.

Multi-magician-musician. thumbs up

Please, there is a vast gap between Hendrix's originality, creativity and sheer technical ability in comparison to Taylor.

Keith is up there with the best of them with regards to creativity and originality though.

I agree completely. To everything of that smiling smiley

He released some dubious stuff as well, though. And he deserved better production and sound on records than he got, imo.

Date: June 2, 2013 23:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:19 by His Majesty.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:21

sonomastone
His Majesty
MKjan

Hendrix could play with his guitar upside down and with his teeth better than Taylor plays

I heard Hendrix actually played with his tongue, not with his teeth.. Top secret.

Date: June 2, 2013 23:23

svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty
MKjan

I heard Hendrix actually played with his tongue, not with his teeth.. Top secret.

Bare-feeted in a water bucket smiling smiley

Date: June 2, 2013 23:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:20 by His Majesty.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:25

DandelionPowderman
svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty
MKjan

A fatal error...

Date: June 2, 2013 23:26

svt22
DandelionPowderman
svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty
MKjan

Yeah, makes me think of poor Keith Relf...

A fatal error...

Date: June 2, 2013 23:36

Date: June 2, 2013 23:38

His Majesty
It's a myth he was in the bath.

A myth so strong that it was given as the reason for his death in the Yardbirds documentary?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:41

^ CLICK ^

Great clip... great performance from the other night...

Imagining how mind-blowing it would be if Mick Taylor were to join in...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:41

The Taylor phenomenon going on now is interesting to me. The general consensus is that the band is playing to the broadest demographic and has been for years. Sure, hardcore Stones fans go to the shows, but I doubt if they comprise any where near the majority of the audience for the past two decades when you consider stadium shows, etc. So what do these people know about Taylor? Perhaps I am underestimating the power of the internet, but do they have access to the boots? Do they know Brussels? Have they heard Travellin' Man? It is hard for me to imagine being a hardcore Taylor fan simply from the band's releases. Do they know about his solo career? The tour with Dylan? Even in the day Taylor was an under appreciated commodity. He received polite acclaim during the introductions. In all the reviews of the '72 tour he was hardly mentioned (the Village Voice review excepted). I suppose if there was one song people would know it would be the one they have played...CYHMK. I consider myself a Taylor fan, but I have to admit I was a late comer...late '90's when I discovered boots...Brussels, of course; and the recording of my 1st Stones show, 11/8/69, 2nd. In any event, the enthusiastic response to CYHMK is interesting. It sounds as if he is more popular now than when he was in the band.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:43

DandelionPowderman
svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty
MKjan

LOL

Date: June 2, 2013 23:50

Date: June 3, 2013 00:12

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
It's a myth he was in the bath.

A myth so strong that it was given as the reason for his death in the Yardbirds documentary?

He died in his basement studio, his son found him.

I have only heard the story from the documentary, of Relf playing the electric guitar in his bathtub.

Ok, I stand corrected smiling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 3, 2013 01:53

I am amazed at some of the sheer nonsense of comparing Mick Taylor to Jimi Hendrix. That is a joke. Jimi was the most creative guitar player I've ever heard his licks were light years ahead of anyone else. Mick Taylor is an outstanding soloist and very fluid but if he is so freakin great where the hell has he been for the last THIRTY NINE years?? An absurd comparison and also absurd to say he is a better guitarist than Keith. Can Keith play his solos? NO! But Mick Taylor has not been anywhere near as creative or experimental with the guitar than Keith Richards has. A lot of people don't get Keith and say he is simple if he were so simple why is there no one else quite like him? The guy used to be amazingly creative somewhere along the way his creativity was sapped from him probably by drugs and drink but he can still play at a high level on stage. With everything I've stated I'd still like to see MT on 4-5 songs but if it does not happen I am not going to complain anymore. The Stones are rocking.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 3, 2013 02:34

slew
I am amazed at some of the sheer nonsense of comparing Mick Taylor to Jimi Hendrix. That is a joke. Jimi was the most creative guitar player I've ever heard his licks were light years ahead of anyone else. Mick Taylor is an outstanding soloist and very fluid but if he is so freakin great where the hell has he been for the last THIRTY NINE years?? An absurd comparison and also absurd to say he is a better guitarist than Keith. Can Keith play his solos? NO! But Mick Taylor has not been anywhere near as creative or experimental with the guitar than Keith Richards has. A lot of people don't get Keith and say he is simple if he were so simple why is there no one else quite like him? The guy used to be amazingly creative somewhere along the way his creativity was sapped from him probably by drugs and drink but he can still play at a high level on stage. With everything I've stated I'd still like to see MT on 4-5 songs but if it does not happen I am not going to complain anymore. The Stones are rocking.

I'm afraid you can forget that now. Taylor won't allow you the pleasure any longer. Well, thanks mate.

Date: June 3, 2013 02:34

slew
I am amazed at some of the sheer nonsense of comparing Mick Taylor to Jimi Hendrix. That is a joke.

The Taylor movement on this board is unfortunately becoming a big joke. Nothing Mick Taylor himself would want to be associated with.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 3, 2013 03:25

Before this Taylor craze goes out of hand: It's all to late. This is a farewell tour. It will, most probably, all end in Hyde Park in July. Taylor will do his 2-3 numbers on each show. It means a lot for the Taylorites and not to mention Mr Taylor himself. 90 % of the audience though doesn't care. It's too late for Taylor to be able to influence the band in any way whatsoever. Maybe if they had given him a spot in 90s he could have made a difference. But they didn't...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 3, 2013 04:28

Stoneage
Before this Taylor craze goes out of hand: It's all to late. This is a farewell tour. It will, most probably, all end in Hyde Park in July. Taylor will do his 2-3 numbers on each show. It means a lot for the Taylorites and not to mention Mr Taylor himself. 90 % of the audience though doesn't care. It's too late for Taylor to be able to influence the band in any way whatsoever. Maybe if they had given him a spot in 90s he could have made a difference. But they didn't...

So it was only 10% of the audience that went nuts during CYHMK?

Date: June 3, 2013 04:49

schillid

^ CLICK ^

Great clip... great performance from the other night...

Imagining how mind-blowing it would be if Mick Taylor were to join in...

Once again, mick taylor is not a time machine that will take us all back to the 1973 tour. comparing something they performed last week to something they performed in 1973 and saying that mick taylor is the difference is silly.

Just as silly as if I were to post the studio version, compare it to last week's version and say "last weeks version isn't a good because only Keith can get the right bass sound on the song" or "imagine how amazing it would be if Brian Jones was playing sitar and Keith was playing bass and all the guitars at once" on this tour or "if only Nicky Hopkins was playing the keyboards it would sound like this". Different time, different place, different circumstances, and impossible to reproduce.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-03 04:57 by sonomastone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home