Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 2, 2013 00:00

sonomastone
svt22
On CYHMN Taylor seems to have timing problems, and his bendings are out of tune every now and then, as if he's not completely in touch with his own sound, and the band's tempo. Don't hope its neurologic... Maybe its just monitor/ volume issues.
I like Taylor's improvisation much better than his previous one though, at least he has the guts and energy to experiment, which is fun and a relief to hear. Someone has to do it. thumbs up

i agree, it's not quite up to snuff. he has gotten old like the rest of them. perhaps its unfair for us to compare any of them (yes, even keith) to how they played when they were 25. however, they all, MT included, seem to be really focused on playing well and are doing incredible given their age and the time passed.

i actually agree with most of what Matijas said except the part about re-listening to the studio verison. boy, you guys are like a wolfpack when someone says something about MT you don't like.

The Rolling Stones has never been about perfection, more about feeling. It just happened that in '72 or in '73 they were nearly a perfect band which they even perhaps never tried to be!

And now we are comparing them to that perfect version of the band and of course I am also comparing and noticing that it's not the same anymore but still the FEELING was very strong in CYHMK and I'm really glad that Mick Taylor is playing with the band.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:22

Sigh. I don't think anyone said MT was as good as MT 1973.

What many have said is that MT with the Stones is much better than just the Stones. It would be nice to see MT in rock songs too.

In fact, I would argue that MT is holding back a bit...trying to play nice in the sandbox with what limited time he has.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:32

duffydawg
In fact, I would argue that MT is holding back a bit...trying to play nice in the sandbox with what limited time he has.

+1...it started with submissive hunching, now it's evolved into genuflecting. Makes me squeamish to watch. He's best when he's playing his guitar, facing the audience, like he did in LA.

Maybe it's a confidence thing, or fear of biting the hand that feeds him.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:39

paulm
duffydawg

+1...it started with submissive hunching, now it's evolved into genuflecting. Makes me squeamish to watch. He's best when he's playing his guitar, facing the audience, like he did in LA.

Maybe it's a confidence thing, or fear of biting the hand that feeds him.

It was a little weird in the latest cyhmk when he got down on his knees in front of jagger. But I respect his right as a musician to express himself as he chooses and interpret most of it as gratitude. This tour really can turn his whole professional life around if he is smart about it.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:47

I like the kneeling. It's like the knee drops guitarists used to do back in the day, like Townshend, Hendrix, etc. It also reminded me a little of Ronson and Bowie, only in reverse and more tasteful.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2013 02:25

Mick Taylor has become a true artist as a guitar player.

Please let him express himself as he will.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 2, 2013 02:33

stonesrule

hold the phone. i thought ronnie was the artist. perhaps you meant "artiste"?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2013 03:45

I did mean "artiste" but was FEARFUL that somebody here might find it pretentious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 05:17 by stonesrule.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 2, 2013 05:37

The difference between hearing it live and seeing it online is pretty striking. MT aside, the beginning section sounds terrible on the clips, the guitars are barely audible, when they were much more in your face at the show. I can remember commenting to my wife how Keith was ripping those chords during that song.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 2, 2013 11:16

Of course I don't want Taylor to copy his old solo's note for note. That's just plain stupid to think I would want him to do that, as he has never done that and that is what made Taylor one of the best lead guitarists in the world.

What I meant was is that with listening back to the original solo he can hear what the meaning of the old solo was, and what the meaning of the song is. And the meaning is not some faux jazz improvisation that doesn't begin nor ends anywhere, and that's poorly executed. On that TV show last year he did something great, something I hadn't heard in a long time from him -he took the original first bars of the solo, and then expended that with a great, fast, to-the-point solo. Yes, there where a few mistakes, but it was a great, lyrical, short and sweet solo, without all that needless noodling.

I maybe am too synical, and too negative. But many here on this board seem to forget to really listen to the man. There seems to be a tendency for people to think 'it's Taylor with the Stones playing CYHMK, so it's historical and therefore it must be great', and then just forget to really listen to what he plays.

I find it quite sad actually that a man who's playing is mediocre at best, is able to lift the quality of the bands' playing -that says a lot about the quality of the band.

Mathijs

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 11:43

Mathijs

I find it quite sad actually that a man who's playing is mediocre at best, is able to lift the quality of the bands' playing -that says a lot about the quality of the band.

Mathijs

Taylor's noodling doesn't bother me, making music is freedom of speech. But I agree
it is sad that Taylor's current playing is lifting the Stones' level.
Just accept that these Stones are more about nostalgia than music. It's for stones tourists that want to see them, regardless the level.

Date: June 2, 2013 11:52

stonesrule

thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2013 12:44

StonesCat
The difference between hearing it live and seeing it online is pretty striking. MT aside, the beginning section sounds terrible on the clips, the guitars are barely audible, when they were much more in your face at the show. I can remember commenting to my wife how Keith was ripping those chords during that song.

indeed. the street fighting man clip posted a few days ago was the first one that i felt really replicated the sound i remember hearing.

Date: June 2, 2013 13:02

duffydawg

sigh. [www.iorr.org]

there are plenty who have claimed that if only MT played they would sound like the 72-73 stones. they don't seem to realize that everyone has gotten older.

there are two kinds of taylorites -

first are those who are stones fans, love mick taylor, are happy to have him playing with the band, and wish he played more. i actually think just about everyone on this board agrees with this, even those who are big ron wood fans. i certainly do.

second are those who often
- insert mick taylor and whining about his playing time into completely unrelated threads on this board,
-constantly insult keith richards and ron wood (ron should sit down for the taylor songs, keith should be wheeled out for only his 2 songs and watch MT the rest of the show, keith shouldn't play any more solos, why is keith playing "mick taylor's" solo on satisfaction, as if MT wrote the song or was even on the studio version, etc)
- ignorantly argue that MT is responsible for most of the great guitar work on LIB (i actually found a Taylor fan correcting a statement complimenting keith's guitar work on the studio version of gimme shelter, claiming it was MT)
- post you tube videos of 69, 72, and 73 concerts and then compare them to the current tour, as if it's a surprise they aren't as good at 70 years old as they were in their 20s
- claim that MT was pushed out of the band because Keith was jealous of him
- etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 13:25 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:09

Well said.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:44

I think Rambler and especially CYHMK are far better with Mick Taylor, for sure.

But yes, I am one of those who are stones fans, love Mick Taylor playing, happy to have him playing with the band, and wish he played more... in UK.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 2, 2013 14:20

sonomastone
duffydawg

sigh. [www.iorr.org]

there are plenty who have claimed that if only MT played they would sound like the 72-73 stones. they don't seem to realize that everyone has gotten older.

first are those who are stones fans, love mick taylor, are happy to have him playing with the band, and wish he played more. i actually think just about everyone on this board agrees with this, even those who are big ron wood fans. i certainly do.

- insert mick taylor and whining about his playing time into completely unrelated threads on this board,
-constantly insult keith richards and ron wood (ron should sit down for the taylor songs, keith should be wheeled out for only his 2 songs and watch MT the rest of the show, keith shouldn't play any more solos, why is keith playing "mick taylor's" solo on satisfaction, as if MT wrote the song or was even on the studio version, etc)
- ignorantly argue that MT is responsible for most of the great guitar work on LIB (i actually found a Taylor fan correcting a statement complimenting keith's guitar work on the studio version of gimme shelter, claiming it was MT)
- post you tube videos of 69, 72, and 73 concerts and then compare them to the current tour, as if it's a surprise they aren't as good at 70 years old as they were in their 20s
- etc.

Such black and white thinking has nothing to do with reality whatsoever and is far from fruitful to any discussion.

Date: June 2, 2013 14:24

kleermaker
sonomastone
duffydawg

sigh. [www.iorr.org]

- etc.

Such black and white thinking has nothing to do with reality whatsoever and is far from fruitful to any discussion.

it's fruitful in the way that i used it: to point out to duffydog that while he may think it's ridiculous to claim MT plays like he did in 73, in fact there are those who do, and who claim a lot of other ridiculous things as well.

Date: June 2, 2013 15:49

And Ronnie he played like he did in 1975 ?. No. And for years...

Hope Ron will be acclaimed by the audience in 2013 like Taylor on CYHMK begining his solo and after it last night in Chicago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 16:15 by roby.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:10

sonomastone
kleermaker
sonomastone
duffydawg

sigh. [www.iorr.org]

- etc.

it's fruitful in the way that i used it: to point out to duffydog that while he may think it's ridiculous to claim MT plays like he did in 73, in fact there are those who do, and who claim a lot of other ridiculous things as well.

I am sorry if we don't share the same opinions of MT's importance. Some of the specifics above I might agree with you on. However, without question in my mind The Rolling Stones are not "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All Time" - The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor as lead is.

We have a 47 page thread on this Board for a reason - many fans agree with this sentiment - the Stones are best with Taylor.

Many music critics agree that the Taylor era was the best era of the Stones. The albums he was on and the music on these albums are not just classic rock and roll songs but also classic "jam band music." Bands like Phish have done shows on Exile on Main Street for a reason....they are artistic and thoughtful music. MT was part of that sound.

Also, life hasn't been kind to MT due to many factors. I feel badly for the guy and empathize with him. I think many do. Many people have made bad decisions, had drug habits and had weaker personas that can't carry huge success. Such is MT's lot in life. However, he clearly has a GOD GIVEN gift that he has honed. I feel badly for him that every day he has lived his life since the Mid-1970s people have asked him: "Why did you leave the Stones?"

Do you know how horrible that question must be to him?

Could you easily deal with Keef and Jagger? I don't think I could and I deal with tough people all the time. But they have now invited him back. Good for them.

However, I believe I was promised an "Expanded Roll." That really hasn't happened. A mini-set is a minimum. None the less, I was thrilled with CYHMK in Chicago.

Despite a horrible solo career he is still regarded as one of the best guitarists of all time. Mostly for his work with the Stones.

Lastly, its hard to objectively say Ron Wood or Keef is a better soloist. Heck Ronnie spends 90% of his time tossing picks at the audience, smiling and whomever, pumping his fists here and there and basically being ADHD all the time. Good for Ronnie that he treasures MT though because with out MT's dumb move leaving the Stones, Ronnie wouldn't have $100MM in his coffers....

So instead of fighting a storyline that even the Stones are not really fighting - why not enjoy this incredible time in the Stones history and hope he is given more time in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 16:11 by duffydawg.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:10

Posting 1969-1973 videos is first of all a pleasure to share, especially here among enthusiasts. And recalls the amazing live performances the Rolling Stones were capable at that time. At least a target to aim at, especially when juxtaposed with recent videos... I admit it is unfair grinning smiley

In the spirit (not an unrealistic copy and paste) of those awesome videos, with MT on more songs, is it foolish to expect a huge improvement, hence the thrill we all expect?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 16:26 by MarkSchneider.

Date: June 2, 2013 16:18

duffydawg
sonomastone
kleermaker
sonomastone
duffydawg

sigh. [www.iorr.org]

- etc.

I am sorry if we don't share the same opinions of MT's importance. Some of the specifics above I might agree with you on. However, without question in my mind The Rolling Stones are not "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All Time" - The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor as lead is.

We have a 47 page thread on this Board for a reason - many fans agree with this sentiment - the Stones are best with Taylor.

Many music critics agree that the Taylor era was the best era of the Stones. The albums he was on and the music on these albums are not just classic rock and roll songs but also classic "jam band music." Bands like Phish have done shows on Exile on Main Street for a reason....they are artistic and thoughtful music. MT was part of that sound.

Also, life hasn't been kind to MT due to many factors. I feel badly for the guy and empathize with him. I think many do. Many people have made bad decisions, had drug habits and had weaker personas that can't carry huge success. Such is MT's lot in life. However, he clearly has a GOD GIVEN gift that he has honed. I feel badly for him that every day he has lived his life since the Mid-1970s people have asked him: "Why did you leave the Stones?"

Do you know how horrible that question must be to him?

Could you easily deal with Keef and Jagger? I don't think I could and I deal with tough people all the time. But they have now invited him back. Good for them.

However, I believe I was promised an "Expanded Roll." That really hasn't happened. A mini-set is a minimum. None the less, I was thrilled with CYHMK in Chicago.

Despite a horrible solo career he is still regarded as one of the best guitarists of all time. Mostly for his work with the Stones.

Lastly, its hard to objectively say Ron Wood or Keef is a better soloist. Heck Ronnie spends 90% of his time tossing picks at the audience, smiling and whomever, pumping his fists here and there and basically being ADHD all the time. Good for Ronnie that he treasures MT though because with out MT's dumb move leaving the Stones, Ronnie wouldn't have $100MM in his coffers....

So instead of fighting a storyline that even the Stones are not really fighting - why not enjoy this incredible time in the Stones history and hope he is given more time in?

Very well said.

Date: June 2, 2013 16:23

thumbs up the rest is just a bunch of hot air.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 03:31 by His Majesty.

Date: June 2, 2013 16:31

Just my belief, listening the Stones live (in 2013 too) and on records smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 16:34 by roby.

Date: June 2, 2013 16:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 03:33 by His Majesty.

Date: June 2, 2013 17:00

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: June 2, 2013 17:17

roby
[www.youtube.com]

Just a weak attempt of what once was a great guitarist.

I still like the guy, and glad he played again with the stones, but he just don`t have it anymore!

Ooh and i`m not trying to bash him or whatever, just my opinion.

Date: June 2, 2013 17:32

wild_horse_pete
roby
[www.youtube.com]

Just a weak attempt of what once was a great guitarist.

I still like the guy, and glad he played again with the stones, but he just don`t have it anymore!

Ooh and i`m not trying to bash him or whatever, just my opinion.

It could still become much better it they would play it together many, many times and in Chicago-2 MR there are very good moments. I don't believe though that they could reach '72/'73 level again, Taylor's timing and fluidity is just not at the same level anymore and also the rest of band is not at the same level either.

Is there really any lead guitar player who would have played extremely well when over 60 years old? Carlos Santana maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 17:36 by rollingon.

Date: June 2, 2013 17:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 03:33 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home