Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 3, 2013 04:59

Jimi was certainly more creative all around as a guitarist and songwriter, but Mick Taylor is incredibly lyrical as a player.

I think there is a lot of anxiety here surrounding MT; people are becoming giddy and nervous about the unknown, and I suppose that's a normal response.

I have a feeling that some hopes are being raised too high...but at least this tour will lay it out to bare.

I am very uncomfortable with MT genuflecting before the band, although the lip-lock with Keith was interesting if not troubling. I'm just not sure this is the best path for MT on a personal level.

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: June 3, 2013 05:40

You can hear the MT's sound very well

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 3, 2013 05:40

Stonesrule - Unfortunately no I never saw Jimi live and I've yet to see MT he was not at the brooklyn show. I love MT I just think folks are a little carried away on this board. I want to see him as well and want to experience CYHMK live in Boston. MT era is my favorite era of the band but its not the be all end all for me I like all three incarnations of the band.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 3, 2013 06:42

71Tele
Stoneage
Before this Taylor craze goes out of hand: It's all to late. This is a farewell tour. It will, most probably, all end in Hyde Park in July. Taylor will do his 2-3 numbers on each show. It means a lot for the Taylorites and not to mention Mr Taylor himself. 90 % of the audience though doesn't care. It's too late for Taylor to be able to influence the band in any way whatsoever. Maybe if they had given him a spot in 90s he could have made a difference. But they didn't...

So it was only 10% of the audience that went nuts during CYHMK?

ROTFLMAO~~!!!winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 3, 2013 06:53

71Tele
Stoneage
Before this Taylor craze goes out of hand: It's all to late. This is a farewell tour. It will, most probably, all end in Hyde Park in July. Taylor will do his 2-3 numbers on each show. It means a lot for the Taylorites and not to mention Mr Taylor himself. 90 % of the audience though doesn't care. It's too late for Taylor to be able to influence the band in any way whatsoever. Maybe if they had given him a spot in 90s he could have made a difference. But they didn't...

More like only ten percent went MORE nuts than the ninety percent who "went nuts"
for CYHMK. One hundred percent then also "went nuts" for JJF and IORR and ...

You know, 'cause of how they're ROLLING STONES FANS.

Good Lawd.
Like the place would've been quiet if he wasn't playing on the classic..

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 3, 2013 07:06

MisterDDDD
71Tele
Stoneage

More like only ten percent went MORE nuts than the ninety percent who "went nuts"

Good Lawd.

Two groups of people sitting near me in Oakland asked me who MT was when he came out to play. Both groups knew the words to the songs and stood and danced for the whole show. The MT cult is specific to a very small number of people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-03 07:07 by sonomastone.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 3, 2013 07:35

sabata
You can hear the MT's sound very well

Holy hell, yes you can. I assume it wasn't that loud in the arena, cuz he's cuttin' through. And he's noodling high speed.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 3, 2013 10:19

In that case, Hendrix could play with his guitar hands in his pockets better than Ronnie plays. Easy !

sonomastone

His Majesty
MKjan
As I said, I am a Hendrix fan.

One that needs to re-listen it seems.

Hendrix could play with his guitar upside down and with his teeth better than Taylor plays

Date: June 3, 2013 11:08

Jimi:

Ronnie:

Nice use of cardboard there grinning smiley

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 3, 2013 14:50

...and to quote Keith he can play guitar with one finger and (up?) his @sshole so what's the point?

This thread is becoming less about MT's relevance and more about non sequiturs.

Date: June 3, 2013 15:04

paulm
...and to quote Keith he can play guitar with one finger and (up?) his @sshole so what's the point?

This thread is becoming less about MT's relevance and more about non sequiturs.

And what does that tell us?

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 3, 2013 15:24

confused smiley

Common Taylor, you can do better than that!

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 3, 2013 16:04

sonomastone
MisterDDDD
71Tele
Stoneage

Good Lawd.

Two groups of people sitting near me in Oakland asked me who MT was when he came out to play. Both groups knew the words to the songs and stood and danced for the whole show. The MT cult is specific to a very small number of people.

Wow you hang with some pretty ignorant Stones fans...LOL! Everyone I know and those around me at the United Center were hoping and wanting more Taylor. They all went nuts for CYHMK much more so THAN ANY OTHER SONG THAT NIGHT. It was very obvious who the fans want as part of the band in all songs....

The critics also laud Taylor.

But no lets keep Ronnie Wood throwing picks at the audience, and Keef looking at his nails and Mick playing play guitar and keep one of the best guitarists of all time back stage.... makes sense right? LOL

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 3, 2013 16:13

svt22

confused smiley

It's an obligate number for him svt, not to be taken seriously.

I think his playing with the Stones is way better than with his own band. It's obvious he has something to prove with the Stones, whereas with his own band he takes everything for granted. Post me some vids to prove me wrong. cool smiley

Date: June 3, 2013 16:16

duffydawg
sonomastone
MisterDDDD
71Tele
Stoneage

Good Lawd.

Wow you hang with some pretty ignorant Stones fans...LOL! Everyone I know and those around me at the United Center were hoping and wanting more Taylor. They all went nuts for CYHMK much more so THAN ANY OTHER SONG THAT NIGHT. It was very obvious who the fans want as part of the band in all songs....

But no lets keep Ronnie Wood throwing picks at the audience, and Keef looking at his nails and Mick playing play guitar and keep one of the best guitarists of all time back stage.... makes sense right? LOL

It's so easy telling that you haven't been to the shows...

Date: June 3, 2013 16:34

kleermaker
svt22

confused smiley

I think his playing with the Stones is way better than with his own band. It's obvious he has something to prove with the Stones, whereas with his own band he takes everything for granted. Post me some vids to prove me wrong.

Well, that's the Ron Wood approach, isn't it? grinning smiley

Date: June 3, 2013 16:42

svt22
kleermaker
svt22

confused smiley

I think his playing with the Stones is way better than with his own band. It's obvious he has something to prove with the Stones, whereas with his own band he takes everything for granted. Post me some vids to prove me wrong.

Well, that's the Ron Wood approach, isn't it? grinning smiley

It seems contagious sometimes. But when it comes to playing he's there with the Stones.
As for the vid: something more recent please and preferably CYHMK.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 3, 2013 16:57

sonomastone

Once again, mick taylor is not a time machine that will take us all back to the 1973 tour. comparing something they performed last week to something they performed in 1973 and saying that mick taylor is the difference is silly.

Just as silly as if I were to post the studio version, compare it to last week's version and say "last weeks version isn't a good because only Keith can get the right bass sound on the song" or "imagine how amazing it would be if Brian Jones was playing sitar and Keith was playing bass and all the guitars at once" on this tour or "if only Nicky Hopkins was playing the keyboards it would sound like this". Different time, different place, different circumstances, and impossible to reproduce.

I wouldn't expect any of them to play like they did in 1973! (It might kill them if they tried to...)

Just excited by the prosect of MT re-joining them for what may be the last time. Obviously he's a guitarist in a class apart from Ronnie and Keith.

I know I am not alone in feeling that the Stones were at their musical peak at the time when Mick Taylor was in the band and that this was not altogether just a coincidence. Seen the Stones several times over the years... now excited to hear more songs that showcase MT's great contributions during his time in the band.

Maybe posting the videos and animated GIFs like eye-candy will acqaint anyone who's not familiar... My MT campaign contribution...

Date: June 3, 2013 17:10

kleermaker

It seems contagious sometimes. But when it comes to playing he's there with the Stones.

I liked the last version of CYHMN -the second version, last 2 minutes, and the recent video you posted, it was a 2012 gig. And the Fallon version you sent me, Taylor played very decent there, the band was way better than the recent Stones imo. His MR playing is below the standard he can keep up. Yes Kleer, he still can play great without the Stones. Don't mix up nostalgia and his current level, it's very tricky and misleading, don't get blinded just cause he's up there with the Stones.... it could happen to you. smiling smiley

Date: June 3, 2013 17:49

svt22
kleermaker

I liked the last version of CYHMN -the second version, last 2 minutes, and the recent video you posted, it was a 2012 gig. And the Fallon version you sent me, Taylor played very decent there, the band was way better than the recent Stones imo. His MR playing is below the standard he can keep up. Yes Kleer, he still can play great without the Stones. Don't mix up nostalgia and his current level, it's very tricky and misleading, don't get blinded just cause he's up there with the Stones.... it could happen to you. smiling smiley

It's campaigning time now, svtwinking smiley
I loved both his Knockings with the Stones, even though the sound of the vids isn't up to par at all, whereas the Fallon Knocking has great sound quality. But that solo was'nt as interesting to me as what he did during this tour.

As for his Ramblers with the Stones, here are some in good sound quality. He's playing quite well, seen the circumstances and his lack of practicing over the years. Anyway, without him I wouldn't have listened to them at all. Also his Sway solo was very good, but alas truncated when it was reaching its climax. Do you know how that feels, just missing the climax? Not very satisfying!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 3, 2013 18:54

Taylor regularly plays Red House as a nod to Jimi. In '86 he also played Third Stone From The Sun at least once. He often dabbles with Watchtower in his musical forays. He is very proud to have known Jimi and seen him play. As a Bluesbreaker Taylor was on the bill with him. He speaks of it often. He has named Jimi as the greatest guitarist he has ever heard.

Date: June 3, 2013 19:01

Red House is also on one of Taylor's solo albums.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 3, 2013 19:10

pmk251
He has named Jimi as the greatest guitarist he has ever heard.

like he thought of that first. it was ME who thought of that first...

Date: June 3, 2013 19:20

DandelionPowderman
Red House is also on one of Taylor's solo albums.

Right, but that's not his best version I think. There are better ones on youtube.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 3, 2013 19:29

roby
In that case, Hendrix could play with his guitar hands in his pockets better than Ronnie plays. Easy !

sonomastone

His Majesty
MKjan
As I said, I am a Hendrix fan.

One that needs to re-listen it seems.

Hendrix could play with his guitar upside down and with his teeth better than Taylor plays

I've negated the Hendrix argument by giving living legend SRV the crown. I didn't know there was controversy so I did it arbitrarily...it was years ago...

Date: June 3, 2013 19:39

kleermaker

As for his Ramblers with the Stones, here are some in good sound quality. He's playing quite well, seen the circumstances and his lack of practicing over the years. Anyway, without him I wouldn't have listened to them at all. Also his Sway solo was very good, but alas truncated when it was reaching its climax. Do you know how that feels, just missing the climax? Not very satisfying!

Yep, not very nice to cut off Taylor's solo, maybe he should have made contact with the band and shout: "hey guys, this one is not finished yet", or launch his solo faster.

I don't know how it feels, missing the climax. Thank god I'm not a woman. cool smiley

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:09

duffydawg
sonomastone
MisterDDDD
71Tele
Stoneage

Good Lawd.

They weren't with me, I wasn't hanging with them. They were curious about who was playing (every one tecognized tom waits).

There are about 1500 posts on this thread. Lets say 1 in 10 is someone unique saying they want more mick Taylor (ie not someone repeating themselves or arguing about this or that.) that's a total of 150 people on this forum saying they want more mick Taylor. Count me as one of them. But Not exactly a mass movement.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:24

MT seems to have trouble playing tight. He's often in front of the beat.

Date: June 3, 2013 22:28

Bärs
MT seems to have trouble playing tight. He's often in front of the beat.

Right, I wonder what's the trouble. Some sort of 'blackout' every now and then it seems.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 3, 2013 23:59

HMN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home