Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 1, 2013 15:27

kleermaker
rollingon
Mathijs
Why would we want more Taylor? I think this is just awful:

Why the hell doesn't he have a 5 minute listen to the album version? Why is he just noodling his way through some bring jazz fusion finger practising runs?

Mathijs

I agree that this is quite different from the album version, but still I liked it very much, I wasn't there myself but the applause from the audience was really loud based on the video clip so I think that the audience liked it as well.

Of course it's different from the album version! Taylor never plays his solos like on the studio versions (Dead Flowers for example). He's a musician after all. Not limited to one musical formula, but combining the best. And the result here is beautiful. Not only very nice licks during the first part, but a wonderful and very well structured solo at the end.

Where you there last night? I was and it was amazing. What a silly comment. Taylor plays on the edge. Much more so than the rest of the band. He "gets it" when it comes to live performance. Its meant to be an interpretation of the song and not so scripted. Geez.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:25

Yes, it's different from the album version but it is a great and magic version. Do a list of another Stones songs playing live for years, different from the album but weak versions... Big big choice !

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:33

Last night MR and CYHMK were monsters! MT is God.

Date: June 1, 2013 16:36

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 03:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:39

Chicago#2 CYHMK's solo is mastered and still expressive.
MT has definitely proven:
- his skill (fluidity and expressivity)
- his physical shape, even better yesterday
- his will
- his mentality

I cross my fingers for a better use of this gem and having our best Rolling Stones before Hyde Park' concert!

PS Mathijs, you... funny guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 16:40 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:51

Why the hell doesn't he have a 5 minute listen to the album version? Why is he just noodling his way through some bring jazz fusion finger practising runs?

Mathijs
Taylor's legacy as Stone is he doesn't copy himself, he is playing in the moment. You may call it "fusion" like it's a dirty word but it's not. Taylor does bring a jazz approach to the stage and it's welcomed by many of us who remain open minded to a fresh take. We've got all the records, 40 years later they should be reaching for new interpretations rather than holding on for dear life if Mick asks for another go around. .

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:54

duffydawg
kleermaker
rollingon
Mathijs
Why would we want more Taylor? I think this is just awful:

Mathijs

I agree that this is quite different from the album version, but still I liked it very much, I wasn't there myself but the applause from the audience was really loud based on the video clip so I think that the audience liked it as well.

Of course it's different from the album version! Taylor never plays his solos like on the studio versions (Dead Flowers for example). He's a musician after all. Not limited to one musical formula, but combining the best. And the result here is beautiful. Not only very nice licks during the first part, but a wonderful and very well structured solo at the end.

Where you there last night? I was and it was amazing. What a silly comment. Taylor plays on the edge. Much more so than the rest of the band. He "gets it" when it comes to live performance. Its meant to be an interpretation of the song and not so scripted. Geez.

This is what makes Mick Taylor great. No, the version played last night is not a note for note and/or near proximity to the studio job similar to what was played on the west coast version, but he still finds a way to make it fresh, interesting and dynamic- enough so that once again, the fans sound like they are responding favorably to it. I am so happy for Mick Taylor. I agree with many others on this board who feel that his presence on this tour has elevated these shows. I hope by the end of the tour that he will be integrated into more songs. If anything, Mick Taylor is being re-introduced in 2013 to a new audience who (with the exception of the hard-cores on this board) can re-discover him through the Stones classic works....

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 1, 2013 17:12

MarkSchneider
Chicago#2 CYHMK's solo is mastered and still expressive.
MT has definitely proven:
- his skill (fluidity and expressivity)
- his physical shape, even better yesterday
- his will
- his mentality

I cross my fingers for a better use of this gem and having our best Rolling Stones before Hyde Park' concert!

PS Mathijs, you... funny guy.

It maybe be possible that just when they really reach the peak in their performance level the tour ends, it is so wrong!!!

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 17:18

Always have enjoyed Mathijs' knowledge and posts, but man you missed the boat on this version if you are complaining (maybe using sarcasm?). I love that Taylor doesn't copy a scripted approach and allows for feeling in the song. If I want note for note scripting-I'll go see an Eagles show.

Awesome

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 1, 2013 17:30

Blackdog

thumbs up

Yes indeed!
Got your message about ... I am flipping out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 20:25 by schillid.

Date: June 1, 2013 17:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 20:25 by schillid.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 1, 2013 18:49

bigmac7895
Always have enjoyed Mathijs' knowledge and posts, but man you missed the boat on this version if you are complaining (maybe using sarcasm?). I love that Taylor doesn't copy a scripted approach and allows for feeling in the song. If I want note for note scripting-I'll go see an Eagles show.

Awesome

If you go back and listen to various live recording from the 72 tour, with some exceptions, Mick Taylor is not playing the same scripted solos on Love In Vain and You Can't Always Get What You Want every night. To me that is what makes some of these recordings so awesome to listen to in that Mick Taylor adds some different variation/color to the proceedings making these shows sound fresh and vital each night, and arguably the majority of the time it works.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: June 1, 2013 18:58

I think that is awesome! CYHMK, from #2 Chicago. I thought they were both good, both time he played it.
I really want to hear Sway again. Mick J cut him off, and that solo sounded like he was ON FIRE that night.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:00

Just a little reminder of Mick Taylor and Love in Vain:

Date: June 1, 2013 19:00

Sighunt
bigmac7895

Awesome

If you go back and listen to various live recording from the 72 tour, with some exceptions, Mick Taylor is not playing the same scripted solos on Love In Vain and You Can't Always Get What You Want every night. To me that is what makes some of these recordings so awesome to listen to in that Mick Taylor adds some different variation/color to the proceedings making these shows sound fresh and vital each night, and arguably the majority of the time it works.
That's too confusing for some people.

Date: June 1, 2013 19:02

Ronnie solos ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:53

Mathijs, Taylor didn't copy the "album version" of I'm Free, Love In Vain, Sympathy, or Live With Me on Ya Yas. He created new versions. That's what was so great about Ya Yas. Why should he stick so closely to the album version of CYHMK now?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:58

Taylor is not playing with a Rolling Stones' cover band. He is playing with THE Rolling Stones. As he is a professional musician who is keen on improvising, I think he's perfectly entitled not to reproduce the album's solo (which was improvised itself, as we all know) but to try to play something different. And, to my humble opinion, he pulled out a great, great solo! We indeed want more Taylor!!!!!

Date: June 1, 2013 20:04

roby

I love Ronnie but it's painful to watch him stumble through the solos on Shine A Light and All Down The Line. All signature Taylor melodies. Of course the wild card is MT might play something far from the original and Keith will forget what song he's playing, so there's that.

Date: June 1, 2013 20:07

Ouch, here some seem to be much more demanding with Taylor than...>grinning smiley< you know... who improvise too spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Keep on playing Mister Taylor, hope the whole show in UK... And remember the audience ovation yesterday night...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 20:08 by roby.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 1, 2013 20:14

Wild Slivovitz
Taylor is not playing with a Rolling Stones' cover band. He is playing with THE Rolling Stones. As he is a professional musician who is keen on improvising, I think he's perfectly entitled not to reproduce the album's solo (which was improvised itself, as we all know) but to try to play something different. And, to my humble opinion, he pulled out a great, great solo! We indeed want more Taylor!!!!!

100% agree! Leaving Las Vegas ...

Date: June 1, 2013 20:22

Yes, All Down the Line especially...

DoomandGloom
roby

I love Ronnie but it's painful to watch him stumble through the solos on Shine A Light and All Down The Line. All signature Taylor melodies. Of course the wild card is MT might play something far from the original and Keith will forget what song he's playing, so there's that.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 1, 2013 20:35

RobertJohnson
Wild Slivovitz

100% agree! Leaving Las Vegas ...

Does anyone remember the Keith quote about Taylor - can't find the exact words but when recording "he's great the first time, but if you miss it you have to wait until tomorrow and catch him the first time again". In other words, great improviser but less good at remembering and repeating exactly what he did that was so great. So not surprising at all that he isn't going to reproduce any solos from the 1970s note for note. And I'm quite happy for him not to try.

Date: June 1, 2013 20:41

Green Lady

Does anyone remember the Keith quote about Taylor - can't find the exact words but when recording "he's great the first time, but if you miss it you have to wait until tomorrow and catch him the first time again". In other words, great improviser but less good at remembering and repeating exactly what he did that was so great. So not surprising at all that he isn't going to reproduce any solos from the 1970s note for note. And I'm quite happy for him not to try.

Like Ronnie... smiling smiley SOMEHOW... smiling smiley

Date: June 1, 2013 20:42

roby
Green Lady

Like Ronnie... smiling smiley SOMEHOW... smiling smiley
Like Miles Davis

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 22:40

On CYHMN Taylor seems to have timing problems, and his bendings are out of tune every now and then, as if he's not completely in touch with his own sound, and the band's tempo. Don't hope its neurologic... Maybe its just monitor/ volume issues.
I like Taylor's improvisation much better than his previous one though, at least he has the guts and energy to experiment, which is fun and a relief to hear. Someone has to do it. thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2013 23:36

It's thrilling to finally hear and see the three of them playing together onstage after all these years. Stones, thanks so much for playing CYHMK in Chicago last night with Rolling Stone Mick Taylor! Looking forward to great shows in Boston and Philly and DC with musical contribution from MT.

All Down The Line
Love In Vain
No Expectations

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 1, 2013 23:44

svt22
On CYHMN Taylor seems to have timing problems, and his bendings are out of tune every now and then, as if he's not completely in touch with his own sound, and the band's tempo. Don't hope its neurologic... Maybe its just monitor/ volume issues.
I like Taylor's improvisation much better than his previous one though, at least he has the guts and energy to experiment, which is fun and a relief to hear. Someone has to do it. thumbs up

They played it for the second time. Not easy to be totally tuned in to each other during the improvisation part. Nonetheless a strong effort, having listened to poor audio. I agree that this is a more daring performance than the former one. That's also just the attraction of having Taylor included in the band: dangerous playing, always surprising and fresh. Nothing the same twice.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 1, 2013 23:47

svt22

i agree, it's not quite up to snuff. he has gotten old like the rest of them. perhaps its unfair for us to compare any of them (yes, even keith) to how they played when they were 25. however, they all, MT included, seem to be really focused on playing well and are doing incredible given their age and the time passed.

i actually agree with most of what Matijas said except the part about re-listening to the studio verison. boy, you guys are like a wolfpack when someone says something about MT you don't like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 23:48 by sonomastone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home