Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 12:04

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

the blackout-comment came from a Taylorite...

A very critical Taylorite. 80 years of age is no valid excuse for diminishing skills to me unless you are ill or have a handicap. drinking smiley

thumbs up Very appropriate, posting Keith's favourite grinning smiley

yeah, really enjoyed listening to it and despite keith always mentioning segovia i never bothered to listen until now.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 12:13

deleted.

Date: June 4, 2013 12:13

It's perfectly possibly keeping your chops at an old age smiling smiley

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 4, 2013 12:27

sonomastone
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

the blackout-comment came from a Taylorite...

A very critical Taylorite. 80 years of age is no valid excuse for diminishing skills to me unless you are ill or have a handicap. drinking smiley

thumbs up Very appropriate, posting Keith's favourite grinning smiley

yeah, really enjoyed listening to it and despite keith always mentioning segovia i never bothered to listen until now.

A very nice video. I have played classical guitar myself and is has its own very special playing technique, of course pro classical guitarists play usually many hours per day but maybe this playing technique (and sitting down while playing) helps to play really well even at very high age.

Date: June 4, 2013 12:28

DandelionPowderman

Remarkable, I must admit.

Date: June 4, 2013 12:37

rollingon
DandelionPowderman

Remarkable, I must admit.

Norway's finest guitar player ever, imo.

Christ! Check from 12:42!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 12:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:19

DandelionPowderman

Great player, love it. thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:27

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:24 by His Majesty.

Date: June 4, 2013 14:32

His Majesty
svt22
Bärs
MT seems to have trouble playing tight. He's often in front of the beat.

Right, I wonder what's the trouble. Some sort of 'blackout' every now and then it seems.

I think it is simply down to him not playing enough, same for all the stones guitarists.

Stiffy fingers which don't matter quite so much for the way Keith plays, but does for someone known for flowing lead lines.

Iffy bends, wonky timing and general uncertainty about what to play are signs of someone who doesn't practice for atleast an hour everyday and not practicing every day is the only way to maintain what is needed for that kind of playing.

Could very well be.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:50

Whatever, concert after concert, we get a majority of enthusiastic reports (professional or not) about MT's performances, or Rolling Stones performances with MT if you prefer. And climax relating to it. In one word: Rolling Stones are better with MT.

Better Rolling Stones, seriously, isn't it what we all call for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 14:53 by MarkSchneider.

Date: June 4, 2013 14:52

His Majesty
svt22
Bärs

Right, I wonder what's the trouble. Some sort of 'blackout' every now and then it seems.

I think it is simply down to him not playing enough, same for all the stones guitarists.

Stiffy fingers which don't matter quite so much for the way Keith plays, but does for someone known for flowing lead lines.

Iffy bends, wonky timing and general uncertainty about what to play are signs of someone who doesn't practice for atleast an hour everyday and not practicing every day is the only way to maintain what is needed for that kind of playing.

You are probably right here, I hope his playing will get better and better!

Date: June 4, 2013 14:56

not practicing every day is the only way to maintain what is needed for that kind of playing smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 14:58 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:58

DandelionPowderman
svt22
kpl
BLACKOUT?!! MICK TAYLOR?? Have you listened to Ron Wood on stage for the last 25 years? Sloopy, unfocused leads night after night...thats what the Stones have gotten with Ron Wood since 1975.
Mick Taylors playing on this tour has been the highlight of the 50 anniversary. His playing as always is unpredictible, changing every night like any true virtuoso. The Stones are very exiting again when he is on stage. They dont sound like a tired Vegas act as he improves the sound quality of the whole band.
I have to give the Stones credit for bringing him back. The line in the sand against Taylor coming back in the fold was one I never thought would be crossed. I think Ron Wood helped bring Mick back on board and for that I am thankful. MT's contributions to Let it Bleed (live with me), Sticky Fingers(Sway, Cant you hear me knocking, Bitch, Moonlight Mile), Exile(sould survivor, all down the line, ventilator blues, stop breaking down), Goats Head (Winter, Star Star, Hide your love) and Its only R&R(Time waits for no man, Dance little sister) have not been surpased from Black and Blue up through Bigger Bang since his departure.
If you want to hear Blackout playing listen to Ron Wood's live versions of Cant you hear me knocking, Sway, If you cant rock me, you cant always get what you want, and gimme shelter and compare them to Mick Taylors. Whos playing in a blackout state??

I feel guilty here.grinning smiley

You shouldn't smiling smiley MT is a wonderful guitar player, playing more fluid than most guitarists. When his playing was a bit (only a bit, though) more patchy, it's no wonder we ask what happened.

Saying bad things about Wood in this context is beyond childish, imo.

The main thing is that, despite being a little bit off, Taylor is still playing very good.

My stance as well. To my ears Taylor is playing very good - sounds incredibly fresh, and adding his own flavour here.

Yes, I hear the timing problems as well, and I don't even try to guess the reasons for it. There seem to be a few guitar experts here who are truely looking for some sort of perfection, but I have never understood how one can dig this very band with that attitude...

That "Satisfaction" clip from the other day is funny. I can't understand how it was possible, but there one can really hear what Taylor does. That pervert mix destroys the context, how he fits his stuff to the whole, but still educational... bit like listening Keith's original guitar parts of "Gimme Shelter" and making one wonder how rough, even sloppy they are isolated, but sounding absulutely majestic and sophisticated in the final mix.

To my ears Taylor is just trying to fit in, and do some kind of contribution, but is not rather sure of how. He ends up doing something humorous I think - part of it just having fun, improvising, finding little new angles to the (very obvious) tune, just from a pespective of a curious musician. But that vibrato-variation just from the very beginning of the main riff is absolutely a winner for me. Damn just the best thing happened to that riff since 1969 American tour when they started to re-write the riff by their new guitar-attack approach. I'd love to hear more of that, stuff done with that attitude. Those riffs are there to be interpreted any how - its theirs - no need any "holy relic" attitude - go on and have fun!

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:02

rollingon
His Majesty
svt22
Bärs

I think it's a combination of lack of practicing as svt22 has pointed out already, a matter of nerves and a matter of adaptation to the band. We'll see (hear actually) how he did it on Sway the other night. His first Sway solo was all right as for timing if I recall well. His Ramblers seem okay to me too in this respect.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:16

kleermaker
rollingon
His Majesty
svt22
Bärs

I think it's a combination of lack of practicing as svt22 has pointed out already, a matter of nerves and a matter of adaptation to the band. We'll see (hear actually) how he did it on Sway the other night. His first Sway solo was all right as for timing if I recall well. His Ramblers seem okay to me too in this respect.

He has played lots of solos on this tour already without any significant timing issues.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:20

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
rollingon
His Majesty
svt22
Bärs

He has played lots of solos on this tour already without any significant timing issues.

Indeed, but this Knocking solo is something else than a short solo on Rambler or (even) a Sway solo at the end of the song. Still curious about his last Sway solo.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:25 by His Majesty.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:26

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
rollingon
His Majesty
svt22
Bärs

Indeed, but this Knocking solo is something else than a short solo on Rambler or (even) a Sway solo at the end of the song. Still curious about his last Sway solo.

It shouldn't be for Taylor. At least not the beginning, which is sort of standardised.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:29

"His Ramblers seem okay to me too in this respect."
You have been more inspired on some occasions, Kleer >grinning smiley<

Date: June 4, 2013 15:34

A touch of fever, perhaps, kleerie? winking smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 15:40

DandelionPowderman

Guess I need a doctor myself Dandysad smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 15:42

grinning smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 15:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:26 by His Majesty.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:51

His Majesty
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Guess I need a doctor myself Dandysad smiley

A bruised and battered by life Taylor is better than a dead Taylor. Be glad he is still alive and playing. His playing still makes an impact even if it isn't as fine as his glorious past. thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:32

I think if MT is going to keep playing MR as his main song that is a tragedy. This is not an "Expanded Role."

Many of my friends and I thought MT would be allowed to give his modern interpretation of Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil. Now that would be worth paying something close to $600. Alas we were ripped off.

So playing the same song every night will be tedious to both the fans and the player. Let the dogs loose Jagger!!

Date: June 4, 2013 16:34

duffydawg
I think if MT is going to keep playing MR as his main song that is a tragedy. This is not an "Expanded Role."

Many of my friends and I thought MT would be allowed to give his modern interpretation of Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil. Now that would be worth paying something close to $600. Alas we were ripped off.

So playing the same song every night will be tedious to both the fans and the player. Let the dogs loose Jagger!!

Yes, it is an expanded role, and some nights he plays even more.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:46

Can't find that clip with The Roots and Taylor doing CYHMK on Jimmy Fallon show. Pity, it was a great version. The Roots, what a band!

Date: June 4, 2013 16:51

Stoneage
Can't find that clip with The Roots and Taylor doing CYHMK on Jimmy Fallon show. Pity, it was a great version. The Roots, what a band!

I upped it to YT, but it was worldwide blocked because of copyright things. Maybe I can upload it in the Buy-sell-trade section of Iorr, because it's not available as official material. If there's any interest I'll give it a try.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:09

That was a great show - the ribbing Taylor took from Howard Stern concerning leaving the Stones was too funny. Howard would not let it go - he said - "I've missed you - why did you leave the Stones?"

Date: June 4, 2013 20:04

Pity they didn't include Taylor for Shine A Light during the second Chicago show. This is also from the Fallon Show last year. Howard must have loved it:

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home