Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 13, 2012 07:32

superrevvy

2) I can't hear anything much good in that rehearsal version. It sounds kinda lame to me. But the recording is ultra low quality, so maybe its my ears.

5) When I saw him with the Foos, he was practically levitating. And then when I see him with the Stones these days, it like he's got an 80 pound backpack on, doing that ridiculous marching-in-place "dance", dismisssing the audience with his hands, jeez its awful to watch...

6) I still think Mick and Keith and the Stones are the greatest that ever lived. But just like Jake LaMotta, and like Keith at the end of Shine A Light, there comes a time when it just doesn't make any sense anymore to get into the ring. If Keith was a traditional highly skilled musician, he could do it to the day he died. but keith is more like a pure street fighter, who did it on adrenaline and guts and the energy of the crowd, and all of that is gone forever now. No shame in it at all. He's the best there ever was. But its over. or at least should be.

Depressing, but very well stated and I agree completely with the above excerpts.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 13, 2012 07:41

superrevvy
Theory B is that he knows exactly what he's doing. crashing the fcukin plane.

He even told us that in the opening verse. He's piloting a plane with a band that's drunk and insane as the passengers. He crashes it in the swampy blues-drenched American South where the Stones zombies turn out to hear them even though the world is crumbling around them. They don't get the food for thought about starvation and homelessness because they're too busy dancing.

Chuck may hear another "Mixed Emotions" message in the new single, but I don't. All I hear is "Doom and Gloom" and yes, I suppose it just reflects my mood as well. I don't much care for either new song, although they both have moments. The opening of "Doom and Gloom" brings back painful memories of "Lump" by The Presidents of the United States of America. "One More Shot" gives one the dubious pleasure of hearing Mick closely aping Keith's guide vocal to the point it sounds like a parody at times, "Jack."

And Revvy, take heart, while Mick's busy crashing the plane for us zombies, he assures us that he comes out on top just like you predicted. Embrace the madness. There are days when you sound like the Voice of Reason to me.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: November 14, 2012 16:27

Doom & Gloom and One More Shot are just two songs by a great band. I like both of them a lot. No need to interpretation, no need to justify or deplore anything at all. I'm happy I've got 7 minutes of music I really enjoy. If I try to figure out what the songs stand for, I'd come up with the explanation that OMS was wrote in a way that it covers most of the genres the Stones have put a foot into along their career. Hence its peculiarity that it seems a breakdown of songs within a song.
Oh well, I think I'm doing the very same thing I'm criticizing...
Just enjoy!

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 14, 2012 18:34

one more shot of doom and gloom. There, just needed further mixing.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 14, 2012 19:21

Here's my thoughts on Lump/Rough Justice/Sharp dressed Man (AKA Doom and Gloom). The "zoombies" I think represents those people who have come back to haunt Mick. So I'm thinking Maryann and Taylor with there songwriting claims, Keith with his book, Jerry Hall with his/her money, Jeff beck and that photographer with there claims of Mick the miser. Then there is the Beach Boy's tour adding pressure for new stones music and a tour, so he uses the reference "In my room." That "In my room" reference may also represent internal ban fighting and betrayal (Mike Love, Wilson) (Richards/Jagger). That line "Sitting in the Dirt, Feeling Kind of Hurt" I think is how he feels about Keith having a huge success with his book that spends a fair amount of time putting Mick down. Mick did try to have a big success to match Keith by working with WillIAM, and the Superheavy crue, but no dice. So it's back to "Rough Justice," having to crawl back to his arch enemy and perrenial nemesis, Keith Richard's. The Rought Justice, "sort of prison justice" or taking it up the backside maybe why this song has the echo of that song.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 14, 2012 19:40

someone must have written something like that in the 20 pages but I heard the song on radio this afternoon. I said to myself : shit the intro is ... a band made a plagiarism of the Stones confused smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 15, 2012 00:43

When did the Stones become simply a thrashing band without any real musical sensitivity or subtelty? These new songs are dire in the extreme, and represent just how much the group have regressed, even from the days of STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE. Even 'Mixed Emotions' sounds like it's bordering on masterpiece standard compared with these songs. 'Doom And Gloom' and 'One More Shot' lack the Stones wonderfully seductive charm from those early days, where an economy of sound within a more musically elaborate base, resulted in songs that could be listened to again and again without them seemingly becoming monotonous. Mick and Keith have completely lost any of their own former musical finesse, which is true certainly on these two latest songs. You can listen to 'Brown Sugar', 'Start Me Up' and 'Tumbling Dice' again and again because they contain a degree of musical texturing, yet 'Doom And Gloom' and 'One More Shot's forced sound pretty much results in them falling flat even before the end of a first listening. Mick and Keith should know, truly memorable songs take more than a few uninspiring recycled riffs and a tossed off vocal. Where is the Stones old musical swing and sway, not to mention seduction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 00:48 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:19

superrevvy
When I saw him with the Foos, he was practically levitating. And then when I see him with the Stones these days, it like he's got an 80 pound backpack on, doing that ridiculous marching-in-place "dance"

As Mick himself said in an interview, "Anyone can get up there for one song and tear it up". Believe me, if the Stones only had to get up and do one song, Mick would not be the Mick you describe above. What you're describing is the way he paces himself to make it through a two-hour gig, which he's been doing since '89. People here comment on the way he "barked out" the vocals in '81. It wasn't just the coke, it's that he wasn't pacing himself well.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:19

Edward Twining
When did the Stones become simply a thrashing band without any real musical sensitivity or subtelty? These new songs are dire in the extreme, and represent just how much the group have regressed, even from the days of STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE. Even 'Mixed Emotions' sounds like it's bordering on masterpiece standard compared with these songs. 'Doom And Gloom' and 'One More Shot' lack the Stones wonderfully seductive charm from those early days, where an economy of sound within a more musically elaborate base, resulted in songs that could be listened to again and again without them seemingly becoming monotonous. Mick and Keith have completely lost any of their own former musical finesse, which is true certainly on these two latest songs. You can listen to 'Brown Sugar', 'Start Me Up' and 'Tumbling Dice' again and again because they contain a degree of musical texturing, yet 'Doom And Gloom' and 'One More Shot's forced sound pretty much results in them falling flat even before the end of a first listening. Mick and Keith should know, truly memorable songs take more than a few uninspiring recycled riffs and a tossed off vocal. Where is the Stones old musical swing and sway, not to mention seduction.

mhm. i think i said that earlier in this thread. only with fewer and smaller words.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:20

StonesTod
Edward Twining

mhm. i think i said that earlier in this thread. only with fewer and smaller words.

It was Doom and Gloom eat shit, or something along those lines...am I right?

Date: November 15, 2012 01:32

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edward Twining

prolly. i don't remember, really. just something sorta like what eddie said, only less-filling or something.

Date: November 15, 2012 01:41

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edward Twining

prolly. i don't remember, really. just something sorta like what eddie said, only less-filling or something.

I know I'm completely off topic here, but has anyone yet had the heart to tell Edward that he spelled subtlety incorrectly? Just on that basis, I'd say he's way off base...or something.

Date: November 15, 2012 02:14

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edward Twining

I know I'm completely off topic here, but has anyone yet had the heart to tell Edward that he spelled subtlety incorrectly? Just on that basis, I'd say he's way off base...or something.

he didn't spell subtlety. he spelled subtelty...that's something under telty

Date: November 15, 2012 02:17

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edward Twining

Sounds like some kind of sub-par black tea.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:20

i think doom and gloom is one the best stones songs ever, good kick ass rock n roll

Date: November 15, 2012 02:25

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edward Twining

Sounds like some kind of sub-par black tea.

who'd want one more shot of that?

Date: November 15, 2012 02:25

seitan
i think doom and gloom is one the best stones songs ever, good kick ass rock n roll

that's all well and good...but we're talking about one more shot of sub-par tea here...please try to keeep up.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:32

StonesTod
seitan

that's all well and good...but we're talking about one more shot of sub-par tea here...please try to keeep up.

As long as we don't start talking about the Tea-par-Tea...

Date: November 15, 2012 02:38

Green Lady
StonesTod
seitan

As long as we don't start talking about the Tea-par-Tea...

c'mon...those pholks know how to par-tea...b-sides...it's mean to kick 'em when they're down....

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:40

superrevvy
5) so since I think Mick's heart is just not into the Stones anymore

now we have it straight from the horse's mouth, not just the chimp's

when asked yesterday why he was doing these 5 shows, mick responded that, in
light of the 50th, it would have been "churlish" of him not to have done them.

it would have been impolite.

so there you have it, the only reason mick is doing these shows is to be polite
to keith and polite to stones fans.

and obviously there's nothing more rock and roll than good manners.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 03:02 by superrevvy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home